Version 2: Two handed exotic weapon
Damage: 1d8**** (1d6/1d4)*****
Critical: 20/x3 (20/x2 / 20/x2)
Damage: Piercing (Blougeing/Slashing)

****=reach weapon
*****=double weapon

Appearance:
Version 1:
A short blade on the end of a very long hide bound hilt. It has all the stacticstics of a dagger, expect the unproportional size of the hilt changes it into a one handed weapon and requires special training to use properly.

Version 2:
By spending a move equivilant action, the wielder of an Elven Tarjul can exstend the hilt into a long, hollow shaft. Well placed supporting pieces of metal maintain its strength, and the wielder now has two options:
1. He may use it as a long spear
2. Use it as a quarter staff with one end as a blade with deals less damage but of the slashing sub type.
Edit: The wielder of the Tarjul may choose at the beginning of his turn which form of the weapon to use. Changing is a free action, reverting the Tarjul to its shorter form is a swift action.

History: Made as a versatile weapon for the traditional sport of the Nadrandik Elven Aristocracy, the Tarjul is a versatile weapon that is great for a fighting style aimed to please crowds, but can also be a deadly tool in the hands of a warrior familiar with its weight and balance.

Special: Elves may treat this weapon as martial. The wielder of a Tarjul may treat his weapon as a dagger, spear, or quarterstaff for the purpose of using feats and class abilities. For example, a fighter could gain the benefits of both weapon focus (dagger) and Quick staff, no matter which version of the weapon they was using.

So what you think?

robotrobot2
2008-09-07, 06:12 PM
I think it is a bit underpowered, it should do 1d6 points of damage in version 1 and 1d6/1d6 in version 2. Otherwise its not justifiable as an exotic weapon.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-07, 09:10 PM
Do you have a picture? This would be easier to visualize (although I suppose that goes without saying).

Boci
2008-09-08, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUmWpkiVFVI
that should demonstrate the weapons pretty well.

Boci
2008-09-08, 12:35 AM
I think it is a bit underpowered, it should do 1d6 points of damage in version 1 and 1d6/1d6 in version 2. Otherwise its not justifiable as an exotic weapon.

Okay, and with those changes it still woulnd't be a problem that elves can treat it as a martial weapon?

Debihuman
2008-09-08, 03:13 AM
After looking at it again, I would treat this as a magical artifiact. I suspect that it is supposed to be [or at least be modeled after] the Spear of Lugh, made according to legend, for the First King of the Tuatha De Danann. It makes sense that it would be wielded by Prince Nuada in the movie. Hellboy plays very loosely with Celtic myths having Balor be Prince Nuada's father for example.

Its shaft is made of darkwood and its blade is made of mithral. In the hands of a member of the Tuatha De Danann, it is a +5 Keen expandable spear (does 1d6 as a shortspear and 1d8 as a longspear) but in the hands of anyone else, it is simply a +1 expandable spear.

Debby

Boci
2008-09-08, 03:50 AM
After looking at it again, I would treat this as a magical artifiact. I suspect that it is supposed to be [or at least be modeled after] the Spear of Lugh, made according to legend, for the First King of the Tuatha De Danann. It makes sense that it would be wielded by Prince Nuada in the movie. Hellboy plays very loosely with Celtic myths having Balor be Prince Nuada's father for example.

Its shaft is made of darkwood and its blade is made of mithral. In the hands of a member of the Tuatha De Danann, it is a +5 Keen expandable spear (does 1d6 as a shortspear and 1d8 as a longspear) but in the hands of anyone else, it is simply a +1 expandable spear.

Debby

But I dont even want the base weapon to be magical, let alone an artifact. Sure the version used by Prince Nuada is special but I'd like there to be simpler versions more readily available.