PDA

View Full Version : Optimized...for FUN!

streakster
2008-09-07, 07:22 PM
Simple. Post really fun builds that you like. Not powerful, necessarily.

For Example, a Binder/Chameleon. You are whatever you want to be each day.

A Pixie Warlock just might be the epitome of fun, though. You're a tiny, cute flying being with infernal power that is nigh impossible to kill.

So, Playground, what are your favorites?

Keld Denar
2008-09-07, 07:30 PM
I like my Dwarven Urgosh Champion. I mean, who uses a freakin URGOSH! This guy does, and he does so well.

Ranger2/Barb1/Fighter2/Deepwarden2/OccultSlayer5/ExoticWeaponsMaster1/PiousTemplar7.

Sure, he only uses 1 end of the Urgosh at a time, but still, who uses a freakin URGOSH?

Insert standard lawful faithful resilliant yet mistrustful of arcane magic fluff here.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-09-07, 07:33 PM
I'll have to dig up the specifics for the human cloistered cleric that, by level 6, can use every class skill (even trapfinding/disabling device as well as, if not better than, a rogue), give the whole party fast healing 1, serve as the party face, and still have some wiggle room for whatever else the party needs. Not exactly a combat monster, but I LIKE being able to fill every hole in a party fairly well.

The Glyphstone
2008-09-07, 07:58 PM
Commoner 1/Anything X. With Chicken Infested.

Hilarity Ensues.

Pie Guy
2008-09-07, 08:04 PM
Commoner 1/Anything X. With Chicken Infested.

Hilarity Ensues.

Dont forget the spell pouch.

skywalker
2008-09-07, 08:08 PM
I like my Dwarven Urgosh Champion. I mean, who uses a freakin URGOSH! This guy does, and he does so well.

Ranger2/Barb1/Fighter2/Deepwarden2/OccultSlayer5/ExoticWeaponsMaster1/PiousTemplar7.

Sure, he only uses 1 end of the Urgosh at a time, but still, who uses a freakin URGOSH?

Insert standard lawful faithful resilliant yet mistrustful of arcane magic fluff here.

Dwarf Ranger All(as in all the way to 20). There's one guy who uses both sides of the urgrosh. I played with this character. While he wasn't busy cutting/poking people up with his flaming/frost urgrosh, he was trying to teach his owl animal companion how to drop alchemist's fire on enemies.

I think he had a lot of fun.

I personally have had fun playing straight paladin, straight swordsage, straight cleric, and straight barbarian.

I guess, for me, it's the simple pleasures.

Recaiden
2008-09-07, 08:32 PM
Simple. Post really fun builds that you like. Not powerful, necessarily.

For Example, a Binder/Chameleon. You are whatever you want to be each day.

With multiple personalities.

Forsaker (anti-magic) prestige ranger. 3.0 Animal Lord.

Vexxation
2008-09-07, 08:40 PM
Optimized Malconvoker.

With max ranks in Ride.

Summon two Fiendish Dire Tigers. Then stand with on foot on each as you charge into battle.

Person_Man
2008-09-07, 08:43 PM
Haberdash the Masked (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88633).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-07, 08:44 PM
A character who's exceptional at nothing but capable of anything:

Human, preferably Draconic with LA buyoff from UA, Hexblade 3/ Sorcerer 2/ Talon of Tiamat 10/ Spellsword 5, taking the first Spellsword level between the 5th and 6th Talon of Tiamat levels. Use the PHB2 Sorcerer variant. Take Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Dragonthrall, Maximize Breath, Clinging Breath, Practiced Spellcaster: Sorcerer, Frightful Presence, and Arcane Strike. Get several Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend, at least one each Lesser Rod of Quicken and Lesser Rod of Maximize, and a Glaive with Spell Storing on it. Get Wraithstrike, Whirling Blade, Shivering Touch, Vampiric Touch, and Cloudkill.

Combat Reflexes with a reach weapon and good BAB make this playable from level 1. Power Attack and True Strike from level 2 on make this capable of dealing some decent damage. Superb Bluff and Intimidate checks, decent saving throws, good hp, +16 BAB by level 20, Mettle, immunities, darkvision, low-light vision, and two frightful presence abilities which can stack to make opponents frightened. One-shot entire encounters with a Maximized Breath Attack that's set to cling for 4+ rounds. Use Spell Storing with Maximized Shivering Touch for 18 dex damage no save, or with Maximized Vampiric Touch to heal up while still attacking. Use Channel Spell with Cloudkill to deal 1d4 Con damage/round save for half minimum 1, for 10 rounds per caster level to a single target, minimum 10 con damage per caster level.

Fills the roles of social skill-checker, second-rank warrior/melee damage dealer, secondary AoE damage-dealer (primary a few times/day), free action debuffer (fear effects), and deal-with-it-or-die-attacker (18 dex damage, 1d4 Con damage/round, maximized clinging breath). He's incredibly resilient to opponents' attacks and special abilities due to decent hp and saves, +Cha bonus vs spells, Mettle, and immunities, plus anything his spells will grant. This would be my first choice for the 5th character in a party that already has every role filled, especially if I'm the one playing the 5th character.

Note that neither Dragonthrall nor Talon of Tiamat obligate the character to allow himself to be taken advantage of or work for any creature that could be viewed as being weaker than himself. The character would be played as a LE mercenary who is willing to take any job but would never do anything to get a bad reputation as a mercenary.

revolver kobold
2008-09-07, 08:44 PM
A Dwarven Fighter/Bard, with equal ranks in Perform: Oratory and Bagpipes. Managed to cause an elf to throw himself off a pier by by walking around naked.

Mushroom Ninja
2008-09-07, 08:52 PM
A Pixie Warlock just might be the epitome of fun, though. You're a tiny, cute flying being with infernal power that is nigh impossible to kill.

You get to choose what your Eldrich blast looks like, right?

Rainbow Power?!?!?!?

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-07, 08:53 PM

Rainbow Power?!?!?!?

Your powers are simply fabulous.

streakster
2008-09-07, 08:54 PM

Rainbow Power?!?!?!?

Ho man, now I have to do that.

Another favorite is a Tibbit Warlock that speaks very poor grammar...

The Lolcat Warlock!

Flickerdart
2008-09-07, 08:59 PM
I find a blaster mage to be very satisfying. Why Batman when you can tear enemies apart with molten fiery wrath? Well, aside from being utterly inefficient, of course.

FMArthur
2008-09-07, 09:00 PM
A changeling Chameleon is the most fun I've ever had. The base class doesn't matter as much, but Factotum is well known to augment this combination quite well (general tricks for every situation + specific strengths for any situation). The base class is important combat-wise, but it doesn't matter much outside of combat; a changeling Chameleon can get away with pretending to be anyone, which is awesome and endlessly amusing.

I'm even thinking of writing up a Chameleon as a base class, since it's just such a fun theme.

Animefunkmaster
2008-09-07, 09:01 PM

I actually came across a player who did this in one of my games. Not so much the grammar part, but the tibbit warlock. Obtain Familiar: Cat and then went masquerading as a local druid's animal companion... really good bluff check and now two cats were following this druid. Share deliver touch spell was modified to work with eldritch blast, and the insanity just kept going.

wadledo
2008-09-07, 09:05 PM
Blind Wizard/Earth Dreamer/Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil/Incantatrix.
It doesn't matter that he's blind, or that he's an old, crippled spellcaster.
{Scrubbed}

Vexxation
2008-09-07, 09:06 PM

Hilarity ensues when synergized with Perform: Throw One's Voice to make it seem like someone else is making the verbal components.

Rei_Jin
2008-09-07, 09:06 PM
I built a Tibbit Ninja once, and spent %*%&^$*^ of gold combining all its items into a collar that it could wear in humanoid or cat form.

Take Agile Athlete, Weapon Finesse, Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot Tactics.

Win

Animefunkmaster
2008-09-07, 09:20 PM
Spiked Chain tripper. Even an unoptimized Crusader with combat reflexes, improved trip, and thicket of blades, it is just so much fun you will hardly want to play any other kind of melee warrior.

Deepblue706
2008-09-07, 09:25 PM
Fighter6/Exotic Weapon Master3/Master Thrower5

A wandering swordsman who dual-wields bastard swords. And throws them. Made extensive use of Throw Exotic Weapon, Uncanny Blow (2x STR mod to damage when 2-handing a bastard sword!), Ranged Pin (pin people to trees! With a sword!), Trip Shot (free trip on a hit!), Two-With-One-Blow (deflect your hits off one target onto a second!). I love this build...ridiculous, and highly reliable in an actual gaming group.

Superglucose
2008-09-07, 09:27 PM
"Shoot first, shoot again later" Ialana, the 20 Rogue.

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-07, 09:28 PM
"Shoot first, shoot again later" Ialana, the 20 Rogue.

i see a problem right there.

Hal
2008-09-07, 09:37 PM
I've been having fun playing my Beguiler with Face-Changer. I wear a mask at any given time so that nobody knows what my face actually looks like. Even the other members of the party don't know what my REAL face is. You wouldn't believe what kind of RP goofiness that opens up.

Combat is hit or miss, as I'm completely incapable of hitting anything (Why would I want to?). So, if we're up against anything with a half-way decent will save / touch AC, I tend to just turn invisible and hope that the Duskblade can zap the dang thing good.

Chronos
2008-09-07, 09:55 PM
Take ... Underfoot Tactics.I think all housecats get that as a bonus feat.

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-07, 10:17 PM
Much like Deepblue706, I play what I like and do not let teh interwebz influence my choices. One of my favorite characters was a Rogue 13 / Sorcerer (PHB II variant for faster metamagics) 6 / Arcane Trickster 18 / Fighter 1 / Master Thrower 1 / Shadowdancer 1. Sure, not optimal, but he did have Epic casting ability, and was pimped out on making multiple ray spell attacks using the custom energy blasty type spell limitation chart in the DMG, and adding Sneak Attack to it whenever possible. Yes, even in an epic game it is funny as hell to drop 700+ points of sneak/sonic blasty damage when blasters are just so darn inefficient :smallyuk: Really they can keep the pace if you play it out right and craft your own gear, oh and the Wand Expertise feat from Dragon Magazine is just gold for this build! He dual-wields wands, and darn well too! He was so fun to play, and with his high INT score and cool gear, he went many times without casting anything at all. He had some beefy triple-throw returning daggers with like 4d6 extra damage on them too. Despite the frail caster trope, he was never afraid to jump up and kick you in the face!

Ascension
2008-09-07, 10:21 PM
One of my favorite characters was a Rogue 13 / Sorcerer (PHB II variant for faster metamagics) 6 / Arcane Trickster 18 / Fighter 1 / Master Thrower 1 / Shadowdancer 1.

Level 40?!? Or was this gestalt?

Randel
2008-09-07, 11:52 PM
Evil Cleric with Divine Metamagic(Fell Animate) - by spending a few uses of rebuke undead can kill someone with a spell and animate them as a zombie under my control. Buy a flock of sheep and turn them into walking trap-detectors. Then with a prerequisite feat or two get Destructive Retribution which makes zombies I animate explode with negative energy when killed. now get a flock of exploding undead sheep to send at people.

Would have been an awesome character to play if I could get into a 3.5 game that would allow it.

Doppleganger or changeling with no clothes on - disguise myself as a statue or do some color-shift to paint some clothes on when needed. Not sure what class to take with that since armor or weapons would kind of negate the point. Either a monk/rogue mix that can hit with unarmed strikes and deal extra damage. Or a spellcaster might be better... imagine a statue coming to life and shooting fireballs. Add fly, spider climb, or some other gravity defying magic and you could have a piece of modern art walking along the walls shooting people with spells and crazy illusions. One shape-shift and it turns into a creepy clown or mix of checker-board colors.

female halfling 4e wizard with orb implement reflavored as a teddy bear- dress up as a creepy child and ghost sound the toy into acting possessed. that combo would just beg for intimidate to become a class skill.

Warforged Juggernaut with some primitive scuba gear on- get a drill as a weapon and you can be Big Daddy. Plus, some underwater exploration while those pesky 'air-breathers' are stuck on land. Then team him up with your 'little sister' the creepy wizard ^

wizard who's a dragonmarked member of house cannith- use the Summon Marked Homunculus spell to summon your own bunch of spies and minions. since they last an hour each and its a 1st level spell... just get a bunch of pearls of power and make an army. get a whole bunch of expeditious messengers and yell 'Fly my pretties! Fly!' They also explode when someone kills them and have a range of about a mile. with greater dragonmarks you can summon Iron Defenders and Packmates (aka robot dogs and treasure chests that throw stuff at people).

JupiterPaladin
2008-09-07, 11:55 PM
Yes he just made level 40 last time he was played. He is in fact, older than D&D 3rd edition. In fact he's 14.5 years old this month! Oh I forgot he's a halfling, if it matters :smallwink:

Tormsskull
2008-09-08, 06:04 AM
One of my favorite characters was my dwarf wizard. He was level 5, and I rolled really good for him, so he ended up with a 20 Con and a 16 Int. He had like 41 hit points at level 5 (which was better than the rogue in the party), and always memorized a gaseous cloud spell so he could get away if needed.

He was a lot of fun to play because he totally turned the typical dwarf around. He was chaotic and selfish but tried to impress people. If someone gave him credit and stoked his ego here and there, he would be a completely loyal friend.

Eventually the entire party was TPKed by a phase spider + minions, but my dwarf used gasous cloud and got the hell outta dodge.

Knaight
2008-09-08, 08:06 AM
This wasn't D&D, but a sling expert who understood poisons(of the powdery inhaled variety in particular), and making pottery(small sling sized pots). We can all see where I'm going with this.

warmachine
2008-09-08, 08:20 AM
Straight TN Fighter with Craft (Painting), love of painting and contempt to other warriors and the local decor.

Ascension
2008-09-08, 08:45 AM
Straight TN Fighter with Craft (Painting), love of painting and contempt to other warriors and the local decor.

I always have trouble with artistic skills like that... Do they fall under Craft (Painting), Profession (Painter), or Perform (Painting)? Or maybe all three? Would Profession (Painter) provide a bonus to Craft (Painting) and vice versa?

Kurald Galain
2008-09-08, 08:59 AM
I always have trouble with artistic skills like that... Do they fall under Craft (Painting), Profession (Painter), or Perform (Painting)? Or maybe all three? Would Profession (Painter) provide a bonus to Craft (Painting) and vice versa?

The short answer is "any one of them, who cares".

The slightly longer one is that since it creates a physical product, it's a "craft". If you do it on stage it's a "perform". Anything else is a "profession".

hotel_papa
2008-09-08, 09:12 AM
My half-orc druid/barbarian. The DM had this depressing, railroady plot about fighting the influence of devils in the world (He had just gotten Fiendish Codex 2) and made it clear from the get-go that we were fighting a battle we could never truely win. (Laughing at my idea to just assault and take down Asmodeus.) So, my character solved his problems with bull's strength, enlarge person, rage and a mw greatclub with shillegah (was able to convince him that it's just a size large club, essentially). Went around with the paladin and literally pushed over the buildings of those who pinged "evil", while loudly issuing challanges to any devils that may be traipsing about.... *sigh* I miss playing D&D with Marines.

HP

Hairb
2008-09-08, 09:31 AM
Natural 1-magnet halforc halbardier. The one time he hit anything of note (for good old fashioned Massive Damage) the target evaporated.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-08, 09:40 AM
A paladin dual wielding a warhammer and a sickle, calling everyone "comrade" and with a vision of building a better world. Red armor optional.

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-08, 10:19 AM
The Killer Gnome Build with Arcane Disciple (Luck) can be fun. Tell me using Heightened silent image to actually create semi-real versions of spells (including Shadowed Miracles) doesn't sound like a blast? :smallsmile:

Lycar
2008-09-08, 03:53 PM

Well... if you want to paint a house or fence real good, that's Profession.

Making a piece of art or masterful craftmanship is just Craft (whatever).

But if you made a few good paintings, you still need Perform (Vernissage) to sell them off. :smallwink:

Lycar

Blackfang108
2008-09-08, 04:25 PM
Duskblade 20/Fighter 2

in an Ungodly High-Magic campaign. (Energy spells can be of any of any type except Positive/negative, your spells known IS the class spell list. for Duskblade, anything non-PHBII can be finagled out of the DM. Usually. (Yay, touch of Chaos!)

Especially with Improved Combat Casting.

A must have epic feat for a front-line caster.

Moff Chumley
2008-09-08, 06:19 PM
My friend was doing a one off adventure, and his exact words were, "I don't care what source you use, or what place you get your stuff from, but your EL must be twenty." Nymph Druid 5/ Master of many forms 8 with vow of poverty and Talya's home-brewed vow of nudity and some house ruling giving me unlimited wild shapes per day=Mwahahahaha.

Xallace
2008-09-08, 06:31 PM
Human fighter. Quick Draw. Twenty weapons. Liberal DMing. Good times.

We went through the entire first session without my character speaking. After realizing this, it became a running gag of figuring out whether my character actually could not speak or just chose not to. I took a hit to social skills for it, but whatever, it was awesome.

Throw in one of those feats from Complete Arcane that give spell-like abilities and you have Walter "Wally" Reed, the most fun character I've played yet.

Oh, the DM also decided that Wally could enter a barbarian rage anytime someone stereotyped him as being short-tempered just because he had red hair. Never got to use it.

Chronos
2008-09-08, 06:37 PM
Michael Israel has ranks in Perform (painting). Leonardo had ranks in Craft (painting).

Human fighter. Quick Draw. Twenty weapons. Liberal DMing. Good times.That's where you need to figure out a way to get ranks in Iajitsu Focus.

Ravyn
2008-09-08, 07:02 PM
Azeri "Gershom" Ystlum, Beguiler 6/Fighter 1/Mountebank 3/Magical Trickster ChangedAstheGameProgressed, with glamered armor and--wait for it--a Warmace of Subtlety. (The person who helped me with the build still considers it the best magic item ever.)

The idea behind the build was that she was impersonating a general from the "evil" country in the game we were in, and had had so much fun with it that she'd decided to stay that way. In character, anyway. The out of character idea was to see how long it would take one of the other players to figure out what exactly she was. (I think we ended up telling him due to the shortness of the game. On the other hand, it was amusing enough how long it took the group to even get to the part where they figured out she was a she.)

NeoVid
2008-09-09, 05:56 AM
Yes he just made level 40 last time he was played. He is in fact, older than D&D 3rd edition. In fact he's 14.5 years old this month! Oh I forgot he's a halfling, if it matters :smallwink:

By now, I'd say he's a completeling.