PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting big. [M&M 2e]

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-07, 08:10 PM
I need to find a way to get a character to at least gargantuan size while keeping him within a PL7 limit. Any Ideas?

JeminiZero
2008-09-07, 09:59 PM
Lets see, PL 7 is 105 PP. Getting him to gargantuan size should be well within that PP limit.

I suppose what you are really asking is how to get him to gargantuan size without utterly gimping everything else. One common tactic is to stuff everything into a hard to lose device (technological or magical), which nets you a 20% discount on power cost.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-07, 10:09 PM
No, the cost isnt the problem. The problem is that as far as I know, I can only get the Growth power up to rank 7 which only grants me Large size.

Sir Enigma
2008-09-08, 03:44 AM
I could be wrong - I haven't actually played the system, just read it - but I don't think that power ranks are limited by power level. You have to keep attack, defense, damage, ability scores and saves within PL limits, which restricts buying up certain powers, but something like Growth shouldn't fall under this, unless it makes you break the Strength cap or something

BobVosh
2008-09-08, 04:05 AM
Lets see, PL 7 is 105 PP. Getting him to gargantuan size should be well within that PP limit.

I suppose what you are really asking is how to get him to gargantuan size without utterly gimping everything else. One common tactic is to stuff everything into a hard to lose device (technological or magical), which nets you a 20% discount on power cost.

Codpiece of enlargement: Put on this codpiece in order to appear greater in size. Stylish, functional, and hard to lose!

DeathQuaker
2008-09-08, 07:07 AM
Correct: PL does not limit the Ranks in a Power you can take.

Just fired up Hero Lab and set it to PL 7, and could boost Growth up to 12 with no validation errors (adding in Growth Strike, it costs 37 points).

Where you WILL be limited is that you can't increase your damage DC past 27 (which isn't bad at all, but may not be the "mega giant punch" you want). There are ways to work with this; chat w/ your GM.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-08, 07:38 AM
Power Level does not limit ranks in powers, except when those ranks in powers translate into any of the stuff that is limited (damage bonus, toughness save, attack or defense bonus...). Growth is not limited, although you will have to balance your attack bonus and damage bonus carefully, since size affects Str which directly affects your melee damage bonus.

Burley
2008-09-08, 07:57 AM
Correct: PL does not limit the Ranks in a Power you can take.

Just fired up Hero Lab and set it to PL 7, and could boost Growth up to 12 with no validation errors (adding in Growth Strike, it costs 37 points).

Where you WILL be limited is that you can't increase your damage DC past 27 (which isn't bad at all, but may not be the "mega giant punch" you want). There are ways to work with this; chat w/ your GM.

He... Hero... Hero Lab? :eek: This exists? Is it... Is it a free program downloadable from the internet? Or is it something else entirely?

DeathQuaker
2008-09-08, 08:20 AM
He... Hero... Hero Lab? :eek: This exists? Is it... Is it a free program downloadable from the internet? Or is it something else entirely?

It is a program by Lone Wolf Entertainment, the same people who brought you Army Builder: http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab

It has character creation systems effectively (see more below) for d20, M&M, WoD, RuneQuest, and something else that I've forgotten. You can download it as a demo for free, but that limits the power level to which you can build the character, and it won't let you save your work (you can take screenshots of character sheets though).

The good news is that it's a very well designed and nice to look at character generator. It's especially helpful for M&M since it's point buy based--makes it easy to keep track of your expenditures (when I've pen and papered M&M I tend to lose track of my skill points for one thing).

The BAD news is that paying US$30 to "unlock" the program only "unlocks" full access to a single game system--and they bury this fact in their documentation. So even though there's technically several game systems in the program, you're ending up paying $30 to have full access (unlimited power level, save character sheets) to only one of them--which IMO is rather cheap of them. They gotta make money, yeah, but you know, I'd pay another ten bucks and just unlock the whole program than have this kind of nonsense. I understand if it's tricky because of licensing issues, but they're not very up front about it, which miffs me. The info's there, but it should be in bold print in all areas regarding information about purchasing the program.

You can pay additionally to unlock other systems, but damned if I can find anywhere on their Website how much that actually costs.

So in other words, good program, questionable business practice. So I can't wholeheartedly recommend buying the program, but if you're having trouble with the math and just need something to run the numbers, DL the demo and then just write it down on your own character sheet.