PDA

View Full Version : Hunter: the Vigil?

fireinthedust
2008-09-08, 09:48 AM
So Wikipedia isn't giving me the answers I want for the Hunter game (or the changeling one) so I'm wondering if anyone can give me the low-down.

is it worth it? Are there good options for human characters, or would they best be made using the standard nWoD characters?

Can I make a Buffy-type slayer with them?

Lord Tataraus
2008-09-08, 10:01 AM
So Wikipedia isn't giving me the answers I want for the Hunter game (or the changeling one) so I'm wondering if anyone can give me the low-down.

is it worth it? Are there good options for human characters, or would they best be made using the standard nWoD characters?
There are three tiers of play that effect the type of characters. Tier 1 means your group is a bunch of random guys that found out about demons and stuff that are screwing around with mortals so you grab your shotgun and Ak to beat them up in your town. Tier 2 means your group is one among a collection of different cells who are basically gang-like in operation and interaction, you protect your turf those guys protect theirs though you might help each other out, but normally they should keep to their own turf because they could be corrupt. The third tier is extremely different, this is where you are part of a world-spanning conspiracy (many times an employee and that's your job) and these conspiracies give you neat stuff like wierd technology, ancient mystical artifacts or elixirs and in some cases grafts and implants from various beast or even holy/unholy invocations and rituals as weapons.

Teir three guys have bunches of cool stuff while the only thing sperating tier 1 and 2 hunters from other mortals is that they get one new mechanic: Professions. Professions give you bonuses to some skills and represent your day job or training.

I really don't know much about Buffy, but if its a normal person with a bunch of supernatural or technological tools, then with the tier 3 stuff you probably can. One really nice thing about the endowments is they have a whole section on how to create your own.

Krrth
2008-09-08, 11:02 AM
I've only glanced through the Hunter book, but I can help you with the Changeling book. What did you want to know?

sombrastewart
2008-09-08, 12:50 PM

You mean a super-powered Slayer? Not like the old Hunter, no.

Selrahc
2008-09-08, 12:53 PM
You can't make a Buffy style hunter as far as I can tell. There is no physical stat boost from being a hunter, which is the primary advantage Buffy has. Tactics however let you model particular stunts a Buffy style character would pull off, although you'd need a scooby gang to make them work.

In general the book makes human players a little more viable, giving you some leeway on morality, giving them more experience from fighting supernatural foes, containing a bigger list of possible equipment(Like armoury but with stuff that isn't weapons), and special rules for some of the hunter archetypes like priests or men in black. As well as a load of fluff for atmosphere and story ideas.
EDIT: Also, some pretty good antagonist stuff. A sort of generic monster power set thing, with demons vampires and other stuff.

I've only had the book a few days, so I've not gone through it completely. I can answer questions you've got though(Or on changeling)

JMobius
2008-09-08, 01:25 PM
Seems par for the course so far as less compelling mythos in nWoD is concerned. :smallfrown:

Will check it out soon regardless.

fireinthedust
2008-09-08, 03:26 PM
Well...

I think a tool box for giving non-mage humans some "stuff" to make them "special" wouldn't be amiss. Like, random merits that are supernatural, but aren't tied to arcana per se.

Buffy: basically she's the current "chosen one", a girl who's received mystical powers that help her combat and slay evil. Includes strength, endurance, speed, co-ordination, and natural martial arts and acrobatics. Last episode a spell made thousands of girls around the globe "chosen", so now there's armies of them slaying demons and vampires.
However, she's not part of some big conspiracy. While there is a secret society of watchers (scholarly librarians who study the occult, with only minor magical ability), she doesn't work with them (excepting Giles and Wesley, who are notable exceptions).

Granted, I get how a bigger organization would have more resources. What if the campaign doesn't call for that?
what if someone was just a human who randomly has some special traits? Like psychic powers, enhanced abilities, a magic weapon? Or who returns from the dead, or doesn't age somehow?

I guess they'd just use the standard rules for nWoD and add a minor trait or something. Maybe focus on merits?

Krrth
2008-09-08, 03:30 PM
Well...

I think a tool box for giving non-mage humans some "stuff" to make them "special" wouldn't be amiss. Like, random merits that are supernatural, but aren't tied to arcana per se.

Buffy: basically she's the current "chosen one", a girl who's received mystical powers that help her combat and slay evil. Includes strength, endurance, speed, co-ordination, and natural martial arts and acrobatics. Last episode a spell made thousands of girls around the globe "chosen", so now there's armies of them slaying demons and vampires.
However, she's not part of some big conspiracy. While there is a secret society of watchers (scholarly librarians who study the occult, with only minor magical ability), she doesn't work with them (excepting Giles and Wesley, who are notable exceptions).

Granted, I get how a bigger organization would have more resources. What if the campaign doesn't call for that?
what if someone was just a human who randomly has some special traits? Like psychic powers, enhanced abilities, a magic weapon? Or who returns from the dead, or doesn't age somehow?

I guess they'd just use the standard rules for nWoD and add a minor trait or something. Maybe focus on merits?
...LIke I said, I'm not familiar with the new version of hunter, but a lot of that can be done with the right pacts from changeling. Basically, you and a changeling make a deal. That deal can be for various powers, merits, abilities, what have you. Just make sure you hold up your end of the bargain, as breaking the deal can literally cost you your life. A normal human can get some interesting powers this way, including longevity. Throw in a little Psychic and you are good to go.

Attilargh
2008-09-08, 03:36 PM
What if the campaign doesn't call for that?
what if someone was just a human who randomly has some special traits? Like psychic powers, enhanced abilities, a magic weapon?
I don't know about enhanced abilities, but psychic powers are in Second Sight and Reliquary probably has a magic weapon or three. There's a line of nWoD mortal books too, yknow.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-08, 03:58 PM
...LIke I said, I'm not familiar with the new version of hunter, but a lot of that can be done with the right pacts from changeling. Basically, you and a changeling make a deal.

Yeah, and you can do the same with a demon, or an incarna, or even a vampire (by ghouling yourself - not really recommended though).

But it strikes me that being dependent on a supernatural doesn't really mesh with the concept of hunting.

Krrth
2008-09-08, 04:16 PM
Yeah, and you can do the same with a demon, or an incarna, or even a vampire (by ghouling yourself - not really recommended though).

But it strikes me that being dependent on a supernatural doesn't really mesh with the concept of hunting.
Yeah, I know. However, considering that some of the hunters make themselves more powerful by harvesting organs from supernatural beings, and implanting them....kinda throws it off, ya know?

Lord Tataraus
2008-09-08, 04:28 PM

Actually the Endowments (special powers and items the Hunters get) are all merits and they cover a wide range from yechnology to anceint mystical items to potions and elixirs, to divine magic, to santanic magic (the good ol' fight fire with fire method), and last but not least, that age-old tradition of sewing severed parts of your victims into you (Ooooh! A Promethean arm! I've always wanted one of those, hey Jim get the hack saw and some duct tape!!). As I mentioned somewhere before, the great thing about this is that you can ignore the fluff/make your own to allow endowments for your party and they have a really good section on making your own endowments.

And it that is not enough, they do have rules for gaining demonic powers by making pacts with demons and spirits.

Kurald Galain
2008-09-08, 04:37 PM
some of the hunters make themselves more powerful by harvesting organs from supernatural beings, and implanting them....kinda throws it off, ya know?

Heh. Given the background of the World of Darkness, this strikes me as a really bad idea.

Seems to me that by implanting anything from a vampire, you're ghouling yourself (not to mention getting bloodbound). Implanting anything from a shapeshifting rage-o-maniac is a recipe for bad news next time the moon is full. And anything from the 4E equivalent of a Nephandus or Spiral Dancer, well, let's just say the Abyss Gazeth Back.

Krrth
2008-09-08, 04:57 PM
You'd be surprised. I mean, one group on hunters can Bring back the dead. How's that for a power....

As for the implants.....they can get kinda nasty. Regenerating like a werewolf? Check. Let loose a swarm of attackers to kill a foe? Check. Ignore all attempts to hide? Check.

Selrahc
2008-09-08, 05:51 PM

Like for example... second sight? That book has an awful lot of minor powes that don't necessarily need to be psychic in origin. Stuff like someone who can buff themselves up to post human levels, or is supernaturally good with animals or a whole bookload of other stuff.

Magic weapons are fairly easy to make, and you can do it with mage, or with werewolf, or with changeling, or with hunter. Just allow a human character to take the apropriate supernatural merits. I've not read Reliquary, but that probably has stuff too.

There are a lot of lesser templates out there as well. Stuff like skinthieves, or ghouls or ensorcelled(Changeling), or wolf blooded(Using some of the merits from blood of the wolf), or thaumaturges(Second sight again), or the proximi sleepwalkers from mage, or spirit urged. There are lots of ways to make a character with only a touch of the supernatural.

banjo1985
2008-09-09, 03:35 AM
Bought the book last week, and for me it looks good. The antagonist stuff is especially nice fluff to get you idea-synapses firing away.

I haven't read it all yet, but what I've seen so far looks promising, if quite rules light. It doesn't seem to give you that many more options over the standard WoD humans, but if anything it looks at the WoD world in an even darker light. I'd say if you're planning on running the thing it's well worth getting, but if you're just a player I don't think there's too much relevant content.

NeoVid
2008-09-09, 05:21 AM
...let's just say the Abyss Gazeth Back.

One of the five dot Endowments for that organization actually is an Abyssal entity that gets attached to your heart.