PDA

View Full Version : CoC: Mansion of Madness Campaign Review

LordMalrog
2008-09-08, 10:33 AM
Alright, recently i've attempted to get my group into Call of Cthulhu, with little avail. Soon I found Mansions of Madness (a book of campaign settings) and instantly fell in love with "Mansion of Madness".
The investigators attempt to find a kidnapped wealthy buesness man from a psychotic cultist before he can bring about "the thing that hangs in the Void". It was an excellent and somewhat forgiving adventure. It's a mystery campaign that has a few winding turns as well as interesting NPCs. It didn't suffer from being poorly orginized either so it was easy for me as a DM to understand. My PCs readily took up 1920s characters who i found agreed with the campaigns plot hook. A classic 1920s PI, a Newspaper Mogul, and a Con-man.
The enemys weren't overwhelmingly difficult and numerous and the book was very descriptive of some of the creatures, and their manerisms. My favorite NPC was without a doubt Zeke Cratter. He was creepy, yet his inhuman coldness made him fun to RP. The campaign is less likely to be as frightening as others because it never really turns the tables on the players all too drastically. They are usually always the hunter (except when the "Thing in the Void" makes the scene). The Dm of coarse can think of scary encounters to add using the material given.
My only complaint about it (other then the lack of fear it creates on its own) is the "Night of Madness". (i don't want to give anything away so i won't talk to much about it). I felt there wasn't quite enough description of this event. It left the Dm to think up a whole entire arc practically.
Other then that it was an excellent investigation!
:mitd: :mitd: :mitd: :mitd: :mitd: :mitd: :mitd: :mitd: out of 10 Things hanging in the void

Lycan 01
2008-09-08, 11:35 AM
Care to share how you came into possession of this little gem? I need something good for the coming weeks, and this sounds pretty nifty...

LordMalrog
2008-09-09, 05:58 PM
Care to share how you came into possession of this little gem? I need something good for the coming weeks, and this sounds pretty nifty...

Well its in the book Mansions of madness. I just found it laying around a barns&noble, looked pretty old though

TerrickTerran
2008-09-09, 07:45 PM
Fairly available via Ebay and its stores.