PDA

View Full Version : 50 point Swordsage buy question...

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-08, 03:57 PM
Alright. So, long story short, my last post (About the Batman VS Blaster duel) was rendered completely moot by the fact the BF's levels of Wangst hit critical mass and my GM went "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies. And by Everyone I mean just the sorceror. New campaign!".

SO, now it's time for me to roll up my raptor swordsage, and my GM graciously gave us 50 point buy since it was a high-powered game anyway. Mmm.

So then, what would YOU put those points in? I get 6+ int skill points, and have natural attribute modifiers of +8 Str, +4 Dex, and +8 Con, as well as Large size and Wis to Armor and attack rolls with certain maneuvers... As well as Pounce and a Monk's unarmed progression and Flurry of Blows.

Also, completely unrelated, but what would you say a good "Spellblade" spell would be? (Namely, It's a 6000+ weapon enchantment that makes me immune to a spell and lets me redirect it as a free action.) I'm thinking Dispel and later upgrading it to Greater Dispel.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-08, 04:11 PM
Dump Charisma. Then get everything else to 16, which you can easily do with 50 point buy.

Fan
2008-09-08, 04:14 PM
I agree dump charisma you wont EVER need it outside of a UMD check which most items dont require.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-08, 05:45 PM
Hmm... I guess I could live with a +3 to everything. The raptor's supposed to be a little rude and abrasive anyway, (in a very arrogant, cocky manner) so it works rather well. I guess since I'm not really a spellcaster and my techniques known/able to be prepared aren't based on a stat, I can live easily with 16's in everything.

So thanks for the advice so far. Feel free to agree with the "dump charisma" build or suggest your own.

monty
2008-09-08, 05:48 PM
Dump Charisma. Then get everything else to 16, which you can easily do with 50 point buy.

Well, I wouldn't say "easily," since it's barely enough. But then, 16 in everything is ridiculous anyway.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-08, 05:53 PM
Yeah. It's pretty great. In addition, I forgot to ask where I should put my level-up attribute points as well..

Chronos
2008-09-08, 06:25 PM
Yeah. It's pretty great. In addition, I forgot to ask where I should put my level-up attribute points as well..Depending on your selection of feats, maneuvers, and skills, you'll probably get the most out of either Wis or Dex. So one of those. Whichever you choose, you should always put all of your level-up points in the same stat, since the level-up points aren't subject to quadratic scaling like almost all other stat boosters.

skywalker
2008-09-08, 08:04 PM
Well, I wouldn't say "easily," since it's barely enough. But then, 16 in everything is ridiculous anyway.

If you dump CHA to 8, you get a 16 in everything else before racial and level bonuses...

That is ungodly.

monty
2008-09-08, 08:10 PM
Bah, my gestalt challenge character has 36/26/-/20/12/65, after racials and levels. Now that's ungodly.

Dode
2008-09-08, 08:13 PM
oh yeah? thats nothing my dm lets me write whatever stat I want in my character sheet and we have Pun-Pun as an NPC in case things get hairy

AstralFire
2008-09-08, 08:23 PM
Yeah, well, my half-orc makes pigs explode and rain bacon everywhere.

Vexxation
2008-09-08, 08:26 PM
Oh yeah, well my Crusader can deal infinite damage.

Demons_eye
2008-09-08, 08:41 PM
Yeah, well, my half-orc makes pigs explode and rain bacon everywhere.

Epic lulz mind if I quote it?

AstralFire
2008-09-08, 08:47 PM
Epic lulz mind if I quote it?

Go right ahead. :D

Anyway, to get this thread back on track... is there any way one could make better use out of Charisma than Strength for a build like this? Shouldn't be -too- hard if you grab WF, the question is what applicable feats?

Curmudgeon
2008-09-08, 08:52 PM
what would you say a good "Spellblade" spell would be? (Namely, It's a 6000+ weapon enchantment that makes me immune to a spell and lets me redirect it as a free action.) I'm thinking Dispel and later upgrading it to Greater Dispel. You're not supposed to be able to "upgrade" it at all. According to the source (originally in Magic of Faerun on page 141):
The wielder of a spellblade weapon is immune to a single spell chosen at the time the weapon is created. The selected spell must be one that is targeted against the wielder, not one that affects an area or creates an effect. When the wielder is next subjected to the chosen spell, the weapon absorbs it. On his next turn, he can opt to either let the spell drain harmlessly away or direct it at a new target as a free action.
I suggest you opt for Reaving Dispel, as that's the nastiest of the targeted dispels. Spellblade won't work against area dispels anyway. Add a Ring of Counterspells for Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel Magic; that specifies
should that spell ever be cast upon the wearer, the spell is immediately countered, as a counterspell action, requiring no action (or even knowledge) on the wearer’s part. Counterspelling works on any type of spell, not just targeted spells, and "cast upon" isn't the same as "targeted at". Also the Ring will let you freely use any spell of 1st-6th level, so there's no "upgrade" issue.

Darrin
2008-09-08, 10:05 PM
As well as Pounce and a Monk's unarmed progression and Flurry of Blows.

Huh? Are you taking monk levels, because the unarmed swordsage variant doesn't get Flurry of Blows.

Also, completely unrelated, but what would you say a good "Spellblade" spell would be? (Namely, It's a 6000+ weapon enchantment that makes me immune to a spell and lets me redirect it as a free action.) I'm thinking Dispel and later upgrading it to Greater Dispel.

That really depends on your DM and what tactics he's partial to. And on top of that, once he knows you're immune to a particular spell, he's likely to find a work-around or just never use that spell.

As for a 50 point buy... max out Dex and Wis first. Shadow Blade gives you Dex on damage, both give you a high AC in light armor. Better Will save isn't a bad idea, either.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-08, 11:01 PM
I'd say dump Int as well as Cha, out your focus on Dex, Str, Wis, and Con. 50 Pt-Buy means you can afford 12-8-18-16-16-16. I'd make Str highest, and ignore the feats that let you use Dex and Wis for stuff. 7 skill points should be enough, and if you put all your stat boosts into Str, you'll have a 26 at level 8 before items. Since you're unarmored, AC is less important at mid-high levels than miss chances. Guess what Shadow Hand does? If you start high enough, you could even dump Dex for Wis and toss a 14 into Int(14-8-18-18-10-16). That'll give you save DCs that are adequate, especially if you buy a Periapt to accompany your Belt. Don't expect a Dragon to fail, though. You're not Batman.

Zuki
2008-09-09, 08:24 PM
I don't have an opinion on multiclassing or stat allocation that won't be vastly outclassed by someone else on this board, but I do have a question:

Where is the 'Raptor' race located? I'm assuming a third party supplement of some sort. And what's the level adjustment? Is a 'raptor' vaguely anthropomorphic, or are you doing to be executing manuvers with your natural weapons?

This is the sort of silly thing that intrigues me greatly and makes me which I could have a DM that'd let me get away with something as loony as playing a talking dinosaur, possibly with an eloquent and philosophical bent.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-09-09, 08:40 PM
Naw, it's a +3 LA race built off the Velociraptor/Deinonychus from the Monster Manual.

It gives me +8 str, +4 dex, +8 Con, +5 Natural Armor, 60 foot land speed, scent, some natural attacks, and most importantly- Pounce.

Edit- Oh, at the downside of having no opposable thumbs. I can't wield weapons, but I can still wear gloves.

We're actually having our session right now over Instant Messenger.