PDA

View Full Version : American College Football Discussion Thread!

shadowxknight
2008-09-08, 08:14 PM
We used to have a NFL thread, but for some reason it won't come up on my searches :smallsigh:

So I decided to create this new thread, where we can talk about the NFL, College Football, and if you want an exciting game at a local high school.

The big news in the NFL this weekend is the injury of New England quarterback Tom Brady. Now as much as I dislike the Pats, I have to admit that he's a great player and hope to see him back soon.

In the world of college football, Ohio State is playing at USC this saturday.
Enough said :smallbiggrin:

reorith
2008-09-08, 08:17 PM
american football is lame. i hate how people say stuff like "we won on sunday." as if sitting on a sofa eating buffalo wings and drinking beer somehow improved a group of talented and skilled athletes' performance.

DraPrime
2008-09-08, 08:21 PM
As a Patriots fan, let me say this first:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT BRADY!

reorith
2008-09-08, 08:25 PM

maybe he can use his downtime to do something productive.

snoopy13a
2008-09-08, 08:32 PM
american football is lame. i hate how people say stuff like "we won on sunday." as if sitting on a sofa eating buffalo wings and drinking beer somehow improved a group of talented and skilled athletes' performance.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it lame.

shadowxknight
2008-09-08, 08:33 PM
What's more productive than making tens of million dollars a year?

Don't worry dragonprime, the Pats are still loaded even without Brady.
But they probably won't dominate the Colts and Chargers like they did last year.

skywalker
2008-09-08, 08:36 PM

So he's talented and skilled, but not productive? :smallconfused:

I know, maybe he can do something reproductive with his girlfriend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gisele_B%C3%BCndchen).

OP, were you looking for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87026) thread?

shadowxknight
2008-09-08, 08:39 PM
Oh... I was actually :smallredface:
But nothing came up when I searched NFL, and I didn't remember the rest of the thread title.

Well, I'll just convert this thread to talking about college football then.

DraPrime
2008-09-08, 09:18 PM

Yes, because winning multiple superbowls and nearly getting a perfect season isn't productive.

Thes Hunter
2008-09-08, 09:38 PM
I have two favorite teams.

The Wolverines and whoever is playing OSU.

LET'S GO BLUE!

skywalker
2008-09-08, 10:00 PM
I have two favorite teams.

The Wolverines and whoever is playing OSU.

I hate all Big 10 teams on principal, but I hate Michigan personally :smallcool:

Can't root against OSU, because they've proven such easy fodder for the SEC in recent years.

Lets not talk anymore about college football, my Vols look like they're in for a rough year :smallfrown:

snoopy13a
2008-09-08, 10:21 PM
I hate all Big 10 teams on principal, but I hate Michigan personally :smallcool:

Can't root against OSU, because they've proven such easy fodder for the SEC in recent years.

Lets not talk anymore about college football, my Vols look like they're in for a rough year :smallfrown:

It could be much, much worse. I'm a Syracuse fan :smallfrown:

Our big questions this year are whether or not we can hold Penn State to under 100 this Saturday and whether or not we can beat D1-AA Northeastern to go 1-11 :smalleek:

shadowxknight
2008-09-08, 10:24 PM
Don't worry guys, in order to become a national power teams need to build up first. USC was only average just 10 years ago and look at them now. :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2008-09-08, 10:37 PM
And Umich was pretty awesome 10 years ago, and look at them now. *sobs!*

skywalker
2008-09-08, 10:53 PM

+1, this is the 10th anniversary of UT's National Championship season, which started with a win over... Syracuse!

So thanks for that, at least.

RandomLogic
2008-09-08, 11:00 PM
I'd like to point to the Badgers, who have been pretty decent for the past 10 years, but more so under Bielema. :shrug:

I'll give you the 'we won' because I sure as hell aren't on the team. But other than that...

snoopy13a
2008-09-08, 11:06 PM
+1, this is the 10th anniversary of UT's National Championship season, which started with a win over... Syracuse!

So thanks for that, at least.

SU had a really good season that year. Beat Michigan at Michigan, blew out Miami, won the Big East and went to the Orange Bowl.

So I suppose the moral of the story is:

Ten years from now, your team could be among the worst in college football :smalltongue:

shadowxknight
2008-09-08, 11:10 PM
Yea, if Pete Caroll leaves USC we're probably screwed :smallfrown:

An Enemy Spy
2008-09-08, 11:16 PM
HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anteros
2008-09-09, 12:30 AM

I'm fairly certain that trolling is against forum rules.

Skywalker do you go to UT? I just graduated last semester. I think our Vols look pretty good actually. We just have a terrible QB and a terrible coach. It makes me glad I'm primarily an LSU fan.

Oh, and USC is going to kill Ohio State. I'm sick and tired of Ohio State playing unranked or non BCS teams all year and going to the nationals ahead of a real team as a result. I don't think that OSU is a bad team, but it's time for them to give up the easy schedule and prove their worth.

Killersquid
2008-09-09, 12:41 AM

As a friend of a pats fan, let me say this first\

MUAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA!:xykon:

Edit: Knights play Thursday, gonna kick some ass.

skywalker
2008-09-09, 12:43 AM
I'm fairly certain that trolling is against forum rules.

Skywalker do you go to UT? I just graduated last semester. I think our Vols look pretty good actually. We just have a terrible QB and a terrible coach. It makes me glad I'm primarily an LSU fan.

Oh, and USC is going to kill Ohio State. I'm sick and tired of Ohio State playing unranked or non BCS teams all year and going to the nationals ahead of a real team as a result. I don't think that OSU is a bad team, but it's time for them to give up the easy schedule and prove their worth.

Yeah, I go to UT. Taking a semester off right now tho. Fulmer's record is actually surprisingly good IMO. I think he's old news, is the problem. I have seen the future of QBs and it is Tim Tebow. Unfortunately, we just like to pretend JC is Tebow-like.

How can you hate on OSU when they gave the Tigers such an easy national championship? Seriously, I'm a big SEC fan in general, because as the Bedouin say:"I and my brothers against my cousins, I and my brothers and my cousins against the world."

Anteros
2008-09-09, 12:30 PM
Sure OSU is easy for SEC schools to beat, but it isn't entertaining. We don't go to the national title game and play a high school team do we? And we shouldn't go to the national title and play a second rate team like OSU.

You know something is wrong with the system when an unranked SEC team like Arkansas or Kentucky gives the national champs a much harder game than their title contender.

snoopy13a
2008-09-09, 12:46 PM
Sure OSU is easy for SEC schools to beat, but it isn't entertaining. We don't go to the national title game and play a high school team do we? And we shouldn't go to the national title and play a second rate team like OSU.

You know something is wrong with the system when an unranked SEC team like Arkansas or Kentucky gives the national champs a much harder game than their title contender.

I'm not a Big 10 fan but didn't Michigan beat Florida in the Gator bowl last season?

Ohio State has stunk in the last two national championship games but that happens. I still remember when they won it all a couple of years ago. Now that might have been the worst undefeated team ever. It seemed like that they barely won every single game. Still they took care of business on the field and beat a Miami team that was supposely unbeatable.

smellie_hippie
2008-09-09, 05:54 PM
I still lurves my OSU. They brick when it comes down to it... but I loves 'em still. ... and Thes, their trouncing of Michigan two years ago was EPIC!

I also follow my Vols like a good Tennessean.

Mephibosheth
2008-09-09, 07:43 PM
I'm really excited for the OSU/Wisconsin matchup later this year. Our (and by "our" I mean the Badgers) running game is really strong this year and our passing game has proved surprisingly potent as well. If the Badgers can hold it together on defense, it should be a good game. Now, until then, we just have to see how they do against Fresno this weekend...

Then again, the first quarter of last weekend's game against Marshall was kinda scary. Nonetheless...

On Wisconsin!

ForzaFiori
2008-09-09, 07:57 PM
C-L-E-M-S-O-N-T-I-G-E-R---S!

Even if we did lose to freaking Alabama, I will always pull for the tigers

shadowxknight
2008-09-09, 08:26 PM
I really wanted the Tigers to win that game.

Now the SEC fans get to keep bragging about how great their conference is :smallannoyed:
Although I do admit currently SEC has more good teams than any other conference. But honestly, we're tired of hearing it.

Anteros
2008-09-09, 09:59 PM
I'm not a Big 10 fan but didn't Michigan beat Florida in the Gator bowl last season?

Ohio State has stunk in the last two national championship games but that happens. I still remember when they won it all a couple of years ago. Now that might have been the worst undefeated team ever. It seemed like that they barely won every single game. Still they took care of business on the field and beat a Miami team that was supposely unbeatable.

They did. If I remember correctly Florida was the only SEC team to lose their bowl game. Maybe one other. Honestly I was amazed that they lost. Florida last year wasn't really great, but Michigan hadn't shown any real talent up to that point either. I was expecting a blow out.

And yes OSU did win it all a few years ago, but they didn't play against an SEC team. They played against Miami, another team with that looked great because they had a weak schedule. Fun fact. OSU is 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games.

Don't take me the wrong way. They have a good squad and are one of the better teams in the country. However, they are not a top tier team. They always seem to be better than they truly are due to a very weak schedule. If they beat USC this year I will be the first to give them their due props, but I don't really see it happening.

skywalker
2008-09-09, 10:52 PM
I really wanted the Tigers to win that game.

Now the SEC fans get to keep bragging about how great their conference is :smallannoyed:
Although I do admit currently SEC has more good teams than any other conference. But honestly, we're tired of hearing it.

It's too bad, then, that we're not tired of saying it :smallbiggrin:

@^Seconded. I personally think USC is gonna own.

I will be back on Sunday to admit it if I was wrong, tho.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-09, 11:06 PM
The big news in the NFL this weekend is the injury of New England quarterback Tom Brady. Now as much as I dislike the Pats, I have to admit that he's a great player and hope to see him back soon.
Now as a big Bor fan and that I know absolutely nothing of American Football(its actually just disguised rugby), I say. You little sneak, your MRI can wait, Bor should get his sooner!

PhoeKun
2008-09-09, 11:09 PM
Now as a big Bor fan and that I know absolutely nothing of American Football(its actually just disguised rugby), I say. You little sneak, your MRI can wait, Bor should get his sooner!

As a big fan of common sense, can I just say... what?

Is the ability of a man on the other side of the country to get an MRI really preventing anyone else from having one? :smallconfused:

RTGoodman
2008-09-09, 11:26 PM
I'm having a GREAT football season so far, as far as college football goes. My alma mater, East Carolina, beat both VA Tech AND West Virginia over the past two weekends. Until this week, we haven't been nationally ranked in about a decade, and as of Saturday we've beaten three ranked teams in a row (counting the Hawaii Bowl victory over Boise State at the end of last season) and are now ranked #14 in the nation! This is coming out of a 2004 season (the year before I started there) when their overall record was 2 and 9. Basically, what I'm saying is,

Go Pirates! Arrrrrgh!

I've got a couple of friends at Michigan and their all sad at the state of your football program. Of course, I can't say that I didn't enjoy seeing you guys lose to Appalachian last season if only because it was completely unexpected and pretty historic (and one of the craziest things I've ever seen in NC sports). Of course, there's a bad side - I had to listen to all my friends from App brag about their team (who went on to lose to those football titans, the Wofford College Terriers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wofford_Terriers)). :smallwink:

Anteros
2008-09-10, 02:43 AM
I agree that the pirates look pretty good. Heres hoping that they get to play an SEC team in a bowl game this year. :smallamused:

shadowxknight
2008-09-13, 06:55 PM
Today hasn't been very good for the Pac-10, with both Cal and UCLA losing :smallfrown:
But I have faith in my USC.
They will dominate! :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2008-09-13, 10:40 PM
I personally think USC is gonna own.

I will be back on Sunday to admit it if I was wrong, tho.

I wasn't wrong, tho :smallbiggrin:

I liked seeing the Michigan-Appy State game happen because I love underdogs.

I also liked it because that night, after UT lost, my intoxicated friends and I went down to the strip(UT's local set of just-off-campus bars) to get some Krystal. On our way back, my drunk friends who went to ASU thought it would be a great idea to run down the strip yelling "GO APPY STATE!" at all the angered UT fans with their windows down. At one point, we ran under an apartment balcony as they shouted, and a guy shouted back:

"Hell yeah boy! GO APPY STATE! Smoke weed and f**k Michigan!!!"

Best quote ever!

Jack Squat
2008-09-13, 11:19 PM
That was you guys? I actually heard about that.

Anyways, I don't really follow college ball much...although apparently UT won 35-3. That explains why my work wasn't dead throughout the entire game.

shadowxknight
2008-09-13, 11:23 PM
USC WON!!!
*plays Conquest*

I was pretty worried in the 1st quarter when they couldn't stop Pryor. I didn't want it to be Rose Bowl 2005 all over again :smallfrown:

USC needs to get their own speedy quarterback.
Then they'd be unstoppable :smallamused:

Thes Hunter
2008-09-13, 11:59 PM
I've got a couple of friends at Michigan and their all sad at the state of your football program. Of course, I can't say that I didn't enjoy seeing you guys lose to Appalachian last season if only because it was completely unexpected and pretty historic (and one of the craziest things I've ever seen in NC sports). Of course, there's a bad side - I had to listen to all my friends from App brag about their team (who went on to lose to those football titans, the Wofford College Terriers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wofford_Terriers)). :smallwink:

Yah Carr had a problem in that if Michigan went into a season (Or a game) looking petty good they generally lost. However, if backed against the wall, they tended to fight like well... wolverines.

Good news on USC! Buck the umm.. yeah.. forum rules don't let me finish that ...

but booo hiss Notre Dam... they burn us!

skywalker
2008-09-14, 12:05 AM
That was you guys? I actually heard about that.

Anyways, I don't really follow college ball much...although apparently UT won 35-3. That explains why my work wasn't dead throughout the entire game.

I had no idea other people had heard of that... I feel marginally famous now. As a matter of precision, however, I'd like to note that I was neither intoxicated, nor did I yell about Appy State. That was my idiot friends :smallbiggrin:

Where do you work?

Anteros
2008-09-14, 01:41 AM
Poor poor OSU. One of these days they'll actually beat a real football team.

Thes Hunter
2008-09-14, 02:08 AM
Woah! Hey now!

There are some people in this thread who find that statement VERY offensive.

Looks around.

Ok, *I* find that statement VERY Offensive!

Hey, we coulda been a contender!
ADRIAN!

Anteros
2008-09-14, 03:56 AM
Well look at the bright side. OSU's schedule is so weak they will likely not lose another game this year. Their confidence will be back just in time to play in a BCS bowl. (Where they will play a good team and be crushed.)

The hype around OSU just irks me. They beat up on unranked teams year round, and everyone thinks they are great. But every single time they play someone good they get destroyed. Next week OSU will go and destroy some nobody team and everyone will be singing their praises again.

shadowxknight
2008-09-14, 12:59 PM
Poor poor OSU. One of these days they'll actually beat a real football team.

They beat Michigan two years ago when they were decent :smallwink:

snoopy13a
2008-09-14, 01:19 PM
Well look at the bright side. OSU's schedule is so weak they will likely not lose another game this year. Their confidence will be back just in time to play in a BCS bowl. (Where they will play a good team and be crushed.)

I think they will lose to Wisconsin and Penn State and maybe to Purdue and Illinois.

Woot Spitum
2008-09-14, 07:53 PM
Well, the Sooners are undefeated, so I'm pretty happy with the season so far.

Jack Squat
2008-09-14, 07:55 PM
I had no idea other people had heard of that... I feel marginally famous now. As a matter of precision, however, I'd like to note that I was neither intoxicated, nor did I yell about Appy State. That was my idiot friends :smallbiggrin:

Where do you work?

I work at Ingles off of Emory Rd, right off of 112 on 75 N. Normally we get swamped until kickoff, then it's dead for most of the game, save half time when everyone restocks on beer and chips :smalltongue:

Anteros
2008-09-14, 08:49 PM
I work at Ingles off of Emory Rd, right off of 112 on 75 N. Normally we get swamped until kickoff, then it's dead for most of the game, save half time when everyone restocks on beer and chips :smalltongue:

Huh that's right next to my house....STOP STALKING ME!

Jack Squat
2008-09-14, 09:16 PM
Huh that's right next to my house....STOP STALKING ME!

If you're being serious, what street? If not, then I failed another knowledge (joke) roll

RTGoodman
2008-09-14, 10:27 PM
Well, it was a close one, but we managed to pull off another victory over the Green Wave yesterday. The Pirates are 3-0 now, for the first time since like 1999.

And of course, it happens AFTER I graduate. :smallannoyed:

Funny story, though - apparently a bunch of folks rushed the field after our win over West Virginia, and now ECU is being fined $10,000 because of it and could lose hosting privileges on top of that. Gotta love those non-football-related rules at football games. When I was in marching band at ECU, they told us to make sure not to boo the opposing team or anything because that could be construed as bad sportsmanship by the school itself and result in penalties on the field. Still not sure how I feel about that, even if it is for safety reasons or whatever.

skywalker
2008-09-15, 12:58 AM
Snoopy: You can write down that Penn State game as a loss for OSU. Joe Pa's got those boys on fire.

Jack, Anteros:, forget the JC meet-up, we need a Knoxville meet up :smallbiggrin:

rtg: I've always thought that's a dumb rule. I heard that they're actually also investigating whether or not the police used excessive force in trying to keep the fans off the field. Like, police brutality crap. I say if the cops can't keep people off the field when they're cracking heads, the school should no longer be held responsible.

I also love irreverent bands :smallsmile:

RTGoodman
2008-09-15, 01:09 AM
I heard that they're actually also investigating whether or not the police used excessive force in trying to keep the fans off the field. Like, police brutality crap. I say if the cops can't keep people off the field when they're cracking heads, the school should no longer be held responsible.

Of course, they really should have expected that something was going to happen with that kind of win - from what I've heard, we were banned from playing at NC State for several years (up until '07, I think), because last time we beat them there we stormed their field, pulled up the goalposts, and carried 'em off down Hillsborough Street (the main bar/restaurant street through Raleigh near their campus). :smalltongue:

I heard about the alleged "police brutality," but I'm not sure whether I believe it or not. The people alleging it were probably hella drunk (like most people at ECU games) and were storming the field anyway, so I'd say the cops were probably doing what they needed to do to keep the peace (as best they could, anyway).

I also love irreverent bands :smallsmile:

Heh, yeah. Of course, ECU's biggest band fraternity (KKPsi) just happened to also be one of the biggest party frats around, so they know about irreverence. :smallwink:

skywalker
2008-09-15, 01:22 AM
Of course, they really should have expected that something was going to happen with that kind of win - from what I've heard, we were banned from playing at NC State for several years (up until '07, I think), because last time we beat them there we stormed their field, pulled up the goalposts, and carried 'em off down Hillsborough Street (the main bar/restaurant street through Raleigh near their campus). :smalltongue:

That's hardcore! Of course, you are the Pirates... That's what Pirates do...

I know in HS, when a rival stormed our field, they got heads busted and it wasn't the police doing it :smalltongue:

But they didn't pull up our goalposts... However, the next time they won in our place, they were much more civil... I think we might have made our point.

Anteros
2008-09-15, 04:23 AM
If you're being serious, what street? If not, then I failed another knowledge (joke) roll

I live off of Emory, about 3 minutes up the road. By Halls.

Jack Squat
2008-09-15, 07:00 AM
I live off of Emory, about 3 minutes up the road. By Halls.

I'm in Halls, off of Pellaux.

Skywalker, I'd definetly be up for a Knoxville mini-meet.

shadowxknight
2008-09-26, 07:58 PM
USC....lost:smallsigh:

For those of you who did not get the message, I'll repeat.
USC lost. Lost to Oregon State.

The college football season is officially over for me.

skywalker
2008-09-27, 03:02 PM
UPSET CITY BABY!

Ole Miss beats Florida!

SEC=Best College Football Conference by far.

RTGoodman
2008-09-27, 03:10 PM
I've been ignoring football for the past week - I can't handle the shame of my Pirates losing to NC State last week. As I keep telling people, though, it's okay - at least it wasn't a conference game.

We're back in C-USA play today vs. Houston, but the game's still on. I'll have to wait to see how it goes...

snoopy13a
2008-09-27, 03:28 PM
USC....lost:smallsigh:

For those of you who did not get the message, I'll repeat.
USC lost. Lost to Oregon State.

The college football season is officially over for me.

They can still win the Pac-10 and go to the Rose Bowl. Going to and winning the Rose Bowl is a very successful season in my book. You can't expect to win the national championship every year.

snoopy13a
2008-09-27, 03:34 PM
And my prediction for the title game is:

Winner of Penn State/Wisconsin vs. Oklahoma

I think the SEC will beat each other up leaving no undefeated teams. I think Oklahoma can run the table and I don't think that Penn State or Wisconsin will lose to any other Big 10 teams.

Now after my prediction, Wisconsin will lose to UM, Penn State will lost to Illinois and OU will lose to TCU :smalltongue:

JT Jag
2008-09-27, 03:38 PM
Alabama is TOTALLY going to beat Georgia tonight.

shadowxknight
2008-09-27, 04:09 PM
They can still win the Pac-10 and go to the Rose Bowl. Going to and winning the Rose Bowl is a very successful season in my book. You can't expect to win the national championship every year.

You are right.
It's just that everything was going right for USC, they beat Ohio State and the rest of the Pac-10 shouldn't have been that hard.

It's just so frustrating that this seem to happen EVERY YEAR.
This year it was Oregon State.
Last year it was Stanford, the 40+ point underdog. STANFORD!!!:smallfurious:
And the year before that it was UCLA in the last game of the season.

:smallsigh: Why can't they just win it all.
They were sooo close against VY and the 'Horns.

skywalker
2008-09-27, 05:53 PM
UT loses and skywalker is SAD :smallfrown:

How about Michigan, tho? I gotta salute today. They're playing really well, now.

Chunklets
2008-09-27, 05:57 PM
How about Michigan, tho? I gotta salute today. They're playing really well, now.

Yeah, what happened in that one? I checked in on my Wolverines a little while ago, and they were down 19-0. This may, in fact, be the first thing that's gone right for them this season...

Edit: And... looks like I spoke way, way too soon.

Another Edit: Or perhaps not.

hobbes543
2008-09-27, 06:05 PM
It could be much, much worse. I'm a Syracuse fan :smallfrown:

Our big questions this year are whether or not we can hold Penn State to under 100 this Saturday and whether or not we can beat D1-AA Northeastern to go 1-11 :smalleek:

As a notheastern student... GO HUSKIES! Even though they lost the game :smallconfused:

snoopy13a
2008-09-27, 06:25 PM
And my prediction for the title game is:

Winner of Penn State/Wisconsin vs. Oklahoma

I think the SEC will beat each other up leaving no undefeated teams. I think Oklahoma can run the table and I don't think that Penn State or Wisconsin will lose to any other Big 10 teams.

Now after my prediction, Wisconsin will lose to UM, Penn State will lost to Illinois and OU will lose to TCU :smalltongue:

So that was the shortest-lived prediction of all time :smalltongue:

A good result for USC. If Wisconsin beats Penn State there shouldn't be any undefeated Big 10 teams. The chances of a SEC, ACC, or Big East team going unbeaten is very slim. There's a decent chance that if USC wins out, they could end up in the national championship game (although I think a one-loss SEC champ should go ahead of them)

PhantomFox
2008-09-27, 06:56 PM
Alright, time for my Hokies to show their stuff! Wish 'em luck!

JT Jag
2008-09-27, 07:29 PM
Juuuuulio!

skywalker
2008-09-27, 09:44 PM
Attention RTG0922, and anyone else who might know!

There is a song, I have heard many times during football games, especially in the south. I am trying to discover what it is. I know it is played at some point in the movie Drumline.

It is a rather funky, swinging song, and to my ears, sounds like if it were counted in 4/4 time, it would be approximately 140 beats per minute.

Mr. Mud
2008-09-27, 09:53 PM
YES! I finally can rant to people about my team, and get SOME kind of response...

NAVY 24 - WAKE FOREST 17 :biggrin:

Well after the Towson loss and the Rutgers win, and now the WF win, I think my Mids are off to a solid start...*

I'm watching Joe-Pa and his Lions as we speak (or type :smallconfused:?)

*Don't say a word about Ball State or Duke. I'm being Narrow-Minded :smallbiggrin:.

shadowxknight
2008-09-27, 09:55 PM
Alabama is TOTALLY going to beat Georgia tonight.

You, my friend, have psychic powers.

More upsets need to happen before USC has another chance at NC.

JT Jag
2008-09-27, 10:23 PM
You, my friend, have psychic powers.

More upsets need to happen before USC has another chance at NC.*bows*stupid10charrule

RTGoodman
2008-09-27, 11:40 PM
Attention RTG0922, and anyone else who might know!

There is a song, I have heard many times during football games, especially in the south. I am trying to discover what it is. I know it is played at some point in the movie Drumline.

It is a rather funky, swinging song, and to my ears, sounds like if it were counted in 4/4 time, it would be approximately 140 beats per minute.

I'm probably gonna need a little more than that, but here's a couple of guesses:

Land of 1000 Dances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYSxHTHQJY&feature=related)
The Hey Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0XPKIsZ6Y)
(I don't know what the videos are for those, but those are decent version of the audio.)

Also, I'm very disappointed in my Pirates, losing 41-24 to Houston... :smallfrown:

skywalker
2008-09-28, 01:04 AM
I'm probably gonna need a little more than that, but here's a couple of guesses:

Land of 1000 Dances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYSxHTHQJY&feature=related)
The Hey Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0XPKIsZ6Y)
(I don't know what the videos are for those, but those are decent version of the audio.)

Also, I'm very disappointed in my Pirates, losing 41-24 to Houston... :smallfrown:

It is, in fact, less common than those songs, and has a distinctly southern flair.

I heard it during the UGA-Alabama game, altho it is not either team's fight song.

With no offense meant, and for lack of a better word, it is "blacker" than either of the two songs you guessed.

EDIT: Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhRkbfLYeyc&feature=related) we go with a clip from Drumline. The song is 2:30 into the video.

RE-EDIT: The song is called "Shout it Out," and is nearly impossible to find any information on :smallannoyed: This would explain my difficulties.

shadowxknight
2008-10-04, 07:49 PM
Arrgh not good.
USC losing 3-7 to Oregon.

McKnight! Sanchez! Wheeeere are you...? :smallfrown:

Premsyl
2008-10-04, 08:38 PM
I was quite pleased to see FSU beat Miami. It was the type of game that's typical of the matchup but with a different more satisfying ending.

RTGoodman
2008-11-09, 12:23 AM
So, it's considerably later in the season now, and a LOT has changed in college football.

For my ECU Pirates, after several embarrassing loses (including one to NC State *shudders*), we're actually back up as one of the top teams in C-USA play, having beat two conference rivals in a row (UCF and now Marshall) to move up to 6-3 (and 4-1 in the conference), bowl eligibility (I think), and POSSIBLY a spot as Eastern Division champs (I think).

Anyone else excited about their teams making a comeback? Or has the opposite happened? (I'm lookin' at you, Michigan - it's been ROUGH for you guys this year. :smallfrown:)

Griever
2008-11-09, 12:28 AM
Can we say, Go Red Raiders?

KnightDisciple
2008-11-09, 01:15 AM
All I can say is:
Boomer!
Sooner!

SDF
2008-11-09, 02:10 AM
I kind of wish my Uni (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283130068) would lose a game, so I didn't have to hear about it in every other conversation on campus. But I guess if it means more money, better equipment for my lab, and a better degree, I can deal with a good team. :P

An Enemy Spy
2008-11-09, 02:15 AM
My old high school team just lost the first game of the playoffs.

shadowxknight
2008-11-09, 02:24 PM
My old high school team just lost the first game of the playoffs.

At least your team made it into the playoffs.
My team lost to our rival from couple streets away and they replaced us as first in the league :smallfurious:

As for college teams, whether or not USC plays in the National Title game depends on how much the other teams screw up. :smallsigh:

skywalker
2008-11-09, 02:33 PM
Anyone else excited about their teams making a comeback? Or has the opposite happened? (I'm lookin' at you, Michigan - it's been ROUGH for you guys this year. :smallfrown:)

Yeah... A loss to Wyoming the weekend after you fire the coach... Uh...

I'm gonna be in another thread now, y'all take care.

And Michigan made top plays on ESPN yesterday :smallmad:

At least they're doing poorly too.

KerfuffleMach2
2008-11-11, 12:29 AM
I know Thes is feeling pain at Michigan's performance this year. And I feel the pain as well.

But I expected this year to not be a good one. Sure, I didn't expect it to be this bad, but still. New coach, half of the team is new, how could they have a great year?

Next year probably won't be great either. But hey, they're doing better than the my local NFL team. Which is the Lions.

Thes Hunter
2008-11-17, 11:49 PM
At least we beat Minnesota and Wisconsin... so I don't get so much crap about it now-a-days!

Because now if peeps try to start crap with me about Appy state, I'll just say "Oh yeah?! And how did you guys do against Michigan this year, Hrm?"

Anteros
2008-11-18, 12:03 AM
I am extremely dissapointed in my LSU Tigers this year. They have a solid team, but the new QB is absolute garbage. And my other team is Tennessee. It's best to next even go there.

snoopy13a
2008-11-18, 12:18 AM
I'm a Syracuse fan so I think it is safe to say that my team is the worst :smalltongue:

We just fired our coach yesterday so at least we can speculate on who the next one will be.

Griever
2008-11-22, 11:59 PM
Congratulations to OU on their victory against Texas Tech.

They played a much better game then us, and fully deserved the victory.

There is no dishonor in losing to a better team, now go and win the BCS National Championship, you've got my vote. :smallwink:

skywalker
2008-11-23, 01:52 AM
Congratulations to OU on their victory against Texas Tech.

They played a much better game then us, and fully deserved the victory.

There is no dishonor in losing to a better team, now go and win the BCS National Championship, you've got my vote. :smallwink:

Ok, so, if Texas beats A&M, and OU loses to OSU, then Texas goes to the title game SEC pre-trophy celebration, right? If both win, it's up to the computer? And if both lose...? I guess USC gets to play lose to Florida or Alabama?

On another good note, Tennessee staved off 8-loss-dom today. Eric Berry continues to be gamer, AND Ohio State thumped Michigan, which means more joy for skywalker.

Did I have anymore questions/inciteful statements? ... I think not.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-11-23, 01:59 AM
WAY TO GO BUCKEYES!!! The first time ever beating Meechicken 5 in a row. That's even a feat Woody didn't accomplish. With PSU going to the Rose Bowl, there's a decent chance we'll go the either the Fiesta or Sugar Bowl with an at large bid. if not, hello Capital One bowl.

Thes Hunter
2008-11-23, 10:22 AM
Bah.

It looks like my wolverines can't handle their nuts.:smallmad:

skywalker
2008-11-23, 03:21 PM
Oh, also, Bob Stoops. I want that guy for coach next year.

There are actually rumors Tennessee is going after him :smallsmile:

Griever
2008-11-23, 03:28 PM
Oh, also, Bob Stoops. I want that guy for coach next year.

There are actually rumors Tennessee is going after him :smallsmile:

He's lost around 2 times ever at home, crazy good.

skywalker
2008-11-23, 03:36 PM
He's lost around 2 times ever at home, crazy good.

I know!

But supposedly, he's not happy with Oklahoma's administration?

That's just what I heard...

And I mean, for a chance to play at a storied program like Tennessee... oh wait... nevermind...

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-11-23, 04:40 PM
Bah.

It looks like the wolverines can't handle their nuts.:smallmad:

That they can't. And I don't expect them to anytime soon. Apparently the Irish can't handle Oranges either. It was a very good day yesterday with both ND and Michigan losing.