PDA

View Full Version : SW SE Ships

Waspinator
2008-09-09, 12:11 AM
I'm planning on running a Star Wars Dawn of Defiance game soon and was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm thinking about swapping out the Hutt's ship in the third module for one of these:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ILH-KK_Citadel-class_civilian_cruiser
They're in Starships of the Galaxy. Basically, they're like a mini-carrier that can hold two fighters and take them through hyperspace. It could be nice for the heroes to "acquire" one of these and a pair of Z-95 Headhunters and be nicely set up for space battles for awhile. Opinions?

Beleriphon
2008-09-09, 12:28 AM
I'm planning on running a Star Wars Dawn of Defiance game soon and was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm thinking about swapping out the Hutt's ship in the third module for one of these:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ILH-KK_Citadel-class_civilian_cruiser
They're in Starships of the Galaxy. Basically, they're like a mini-carrier that can hold two fighters and take them through hyperspace. It could be nice for the heroes to "acquire" one of these and a pair of Z-95 Headhunters and be nicely set up for space battles for awhile. Opinions?

Thats not a bad idea, although keep in mind that the players will want to particpate in a space battle, it can be tiresome or old hat if they aren't really that into it.

Waspinator
2008-09-09, 12:32 AM
Well, that's kind of the point of this. The group would be somewhere in the three or four range, so two of them could fly Headhunters or whatever fighters they get and the rest can pilot the cruiser and man its guns.

Amiria
2008-09-09, 03:19 PM
Yeah, the docking clamps that the Citadel has are apparently of the stronger/real variant that is normally restricted to ships of colossal (frigate) size or larger.

This feature (holding two starfighters) is great, the ships armament is also ok (but I would rip out the tractor beam and concussion missiles and upgrade the other weapons). However, in terms of hit points, dexterity, armor, price tag and cargo space / EP (even after removing the aforementioned weapons) it falls behind an YT-2000.

But it is still a great, versatile ship for heroes (especially at that level). Although is I would try to get Y-Wings to replace the Z-95s as soon as possible. When the fighters are good (upgrading 2 gargantuan fighters is still less expensive than 1 colossal transport) it doesn't matter that much that the carrier isn't among the most nimble and durable ships of it size category.

Mad Wizard
2008-09-09, 11:18 PM
Be careful about putting players in their own individual ships. If they don't have any piloting skills, they will die quickly and easily.

Mando Knight
2008-09-10, 11:59 AM
Although is I would try to get Y-Wings to replace the Z-95s as soon as possible. When the fighters are good (upgrading 2 gargantuan fighters is still less expensive than 1 colossal transport) it doesn't matter that much that the carrier isn't among the most nimble and durable ships of it size category.

Wait... Y-Wings good? I'd rather take an ARC 170 or an X-Wing... the Y-Wing is better than stock Headhunters, but the X-Wing is better in several categories than the stock Y-Wing: better lasers, 50% more SR, doesn't need a gunner (Longprobe Y-Wings don't either, though), and higher Reflex Defense. Not sure exactly when the DoD campaign starts, so you might want to look into that when changing the fighters. (Y-Wings got their start in the Clone Wars, so they'll be around, but I'm not sure about X-Wing vs. ARC-170)

Attilargh
2008-09-10, 12:23 PM
I think X-Wings were created shortly before the Battle of Yavin. ARC-170s were definitely an older design, as they were created for the Clone Wars. I think they're even older than Y-Wings, as the most common Y-Wing model (as of the Rebellion era) was too late for the war.

Mando Knight
2008-09-10, 02:18 PM
I think X-Wings were created shortly before the Battle of Yavin. ARC-170s were definitely an older design, as they were created for the Clone Wars. I think they're even older than Y-Wings, as the most common Y-Wing model (as of the Rebellion era) was too late for the war.

Ah. Right. I just wasn't sure how soon after the ARC-170 Incom designed and built the X-Wing...

ARCs are better in combat than the Y-Wing, but are even higher maintenance. I'm not sure if the Longprobe model was out by the time of the DoD campaign, so both require multiple crewmembers and an astro droid. Z-95s with the hyperspace modification are most likely the best rounded common one-man fighters in BBY GFFA... Aethersprite and Actis Interceptor fighters are faster, but weaker, and the V-Wing is basically a bulked up TIE... V-19 might be a good choice (no shields and takes fewer hits than the Z-95, but has better weapons and Reflex Defense (19 vs. 14) and a stock hyperdrive). You could also try the P-38 starfighter (p. 121, it's got rather heavy shields).

Triaxx
2008-09-10, 02:25 PM
I'd prefer a Z-95 to a Y-wing any day.

I'd say leave the tractor beam and loose the other guns. Missiles are the way to go. Especially on such a small ship.

And the ARC-170 was actually a successor to the Z-95. And the X-Wing to both. The Y-Wing is only useful against slow moving targets.

Ascension
2008-09-10, 03:07 PM
V-19 might be a good choice (no shields and takes fewer hits than the Z-95, but has better weapons and Reflex Defense (19 vs. 14) and a stock hyperdrive).

If they've got a carrier hyperdrive shouldn't be an issue.

Mando Knight
2008-09-10, 03:34 PM
If they've got a carrier hyperdrive shouldn't be an issue.

True, but having backups (and backups for the backups) wouldn't hurt... well, your budget might...

Actually, in SE, the Y-Wing is superior to the Z-95 in every way but SR... and I consider Proton Torpedoes far better than Concussion Missiles... especially since it's 8 torps of 9d10X2 vs 6 missiles of 7d10X2... Y-Wing lasers also deal +1 die of damage (before multiplication) and all the weapons have +2 to hit greater than the Z-95... You're trading 5 SR and for better weapons, better defenses and an extra crew member.

Amiria
2008-09-11, 07:39 AM
Actually, in SE, the Y-Wing is superior to the Z-95 in every way but SR... and I consider Proton Torpedoes far better than Concussion Missiles... especially since it's 8 torps of 9d10X2 vs 6 missiles of 7d10X2... Y-Wing lasers also deal +1 die of damage (before multiplication) and all the weapons have +2 to hit greater than the Z-95... You're trading 5 SR and for better weapons, better defenses and an extra crew member.

The Y-Wing is superior to the Z-95 in every way, also SR. It is in the SotG errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SotGerrata1), all Y-Wing models have SR 25.

[hr]
About the Y-Wing being only useful against slow moving targets: How's that ? It as the same starship scale speed as A Z-95 or X-Wing. It is more nimble and has a more advanced targeting computer than a Z-95. Imo it is definitely the best all-round starfighter available before the advent of the X-Wing.

Wookiepedia doesn't say when single-seated Y-Wing variants like the BTL-A4 became available. But you could easily just modify a BTL-S3 yourself => rip out the gunner seat, replace it with slave circuits, rewire the ion cannons and proton tordedos to be pilot-operated. Shouldn't cost any EP, just a bit time and money.

Mando Knight
2008-09-11, 07:44 AM
The Y-Wing is superior to the Z-95 in every way, also SR. It is in the SotG errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/SotGerrata1), all Y-Wing models have SR 25.

Wookiepedia doesn't say when single-seated Y-Wing variants like the BTL-A4 became available. But you could easily just modify a BTL-S3 yourself => rip out the gunner seat, replace it with slave circuits, rewire the ion cannons and proton tordedos to be pilot-operated. Shouldn't cost any EP, just a bit time and money.

I thought that something was fishy about the SR... I just forgot to check the errata.

You're probably right about an after-market slave circuit modification... since you're using the gunner's seat for the space needed, it shouldn't take any EP...