PDA

View Full Version : What if...

Sam
2008-09-09, 12:42 AM
By an act of Q, you are stuck inside a single video game. You will be there until you die. You, fortunately, get to choose the game. There are some qualifiers though:

1) "single game" includes the mods, expansion packs, etc.
2) No cheat codes.
3) You feel pain, emotion, etc like normal
4) Other individuals are sentitnet- this over rides the default difficulty level.

What game would you choose? Why?

SolkaTruesilver
2008-09-09, 02:09 AM
I'd say you watched too much QPid...

I am not sure. Either Fallout 2 or Oblivion. With all the proper mods, off course.

factotum
2008-09-09, 02:10 AM
I'd probably go for Grand Theft Auto, simply because it's so easy to make vast amounts of money in that game--I'd then retire to a nice house overlooking Los Santos. :smallsmile:

Malik
2008-09-09, 02:24 AM
Either a god sim so i could be in charge of everything or Shadow Warrior, being Lo Wang would be awesome lol

SolkaTruesilver
2008-09-09, 02:26 AM
I am really not sure I'd want to live in a game 100% about violence. I carefully tried to take games where there is the potential to live a life, meet a girl, etc...

Dairun Cates
2008-09-09, 02:31 AM
Well, I could go for the obvious and say FFTA2. I'd just help Luso and piggyback his ride home back to a normal universe.

Geno9999
2008-09-09, 07:18 AM
Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario RPG. If by act of Q, you mean by act of myself.:smallbiggrin:
Or maybe one of the Fire Emblem games.

Cubey
2008-09-09, 07:29 AM
Okay, if you want me to give a boring but reasonably safe answer, here are the Sims. If I went for the cool factor, then obviously SUPER ROBOT WARS! Oh, and I guess Pokemon for something in between these two.

Definitely NOT Dwarf Fortress.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-09-09, 07:44 AM
Definitely NOT Dwarf Fortress.

On the other hand, you would have the sense of throwing a bucket of water on the flaming dwarf

DigoDragon
2008-09-09, 07:47 AM
I am really not sure I'd want to live in a game 100% about violence. I carefully tried to take games where there is the potential to live a life, meet a girl, etc...

So like... The Sims? :smallsmile:

I'd personally want to go to Ivalice and live through one of the tactics games (Likely A2) as a main hero or something. Could be fun!

Mando Knight
2008-09-09, 08:29 AM
If by act of Q, you mean by act of myself.:smallbiggrin:

I doubt it. You haven't watched Star Trek: TNG much at all. Q (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Q) is an immensely powerful, near-god-like being who annoys the crew of the Enterprise-D to almost no end.

Xenogears
2008-09-09, 08:36 AM
I'd say either KOTOR so I could live in the Star Wars universe or Actraiser so I could be God.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-09-09, 08:37 AM
I doubt it. You haven't watched Star Trek: TNG much at all. Q (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Q) is an immensely powerful, near-god-like being who annoys the crew of the Enterprise-D to almost no end.

Well.. the end was the season 7, right?

SuperMuldoon
2008-09-09, 08:41 AM
Pokemon actually would be pretty rad. But then what would you do after you cought them all!:smallwink: I would say, aside from pokemon, FF7 perhaps, or pretty much any RPG because those have large enough game worlds where you would be able to (since everyone is sentient) live out a life that could be considered 'normal'.

arguskos
2008-09-09, 08:44 AM
Baldur's Gate 2, no question. Also, I'd be "playing" a wizard. I'd love to live out that plot, and at the end, I'd ascend to Godhood. I can't believe no one else though of that one. :smallwink:

-argus

SolkaTruesilver
2008-09-09, 08:55 AM
Baldur's Gate 2, no question. Also, I'd be "playing" a wizard. I'd love to live out that plot, and at the end, I'd ascend to Godhood. I can't believe no one else though of that one. :smallwink:

-argus

I am not sure being the god of death and murder for eternity would be such of a great existence.

Trazoi
2008-09-09, 08:58 AM
I'd probably pick a Harvest Moon game, because they're set in worlds that are nice and safe and everyone is generally happy and well fed.

arguskos
2008-09-09, 09:01 AM
I am not sure being the god of death and murder for eternity would be such of a great existence.
Well, since gods have the power to alter their portfolios, with Ao's approval of course, I can see how the god of murder could alter his portfolio to not be an evil bastard, and rather be merely dispassionate, which wouldn't be that bad really.

Also, you could choose to not ascend, and rather merely be a powerful individual in the Realms, which isn't a terrible fate. :smallbiggrin:

-argus

Fan
2008-09-09, 09:04 AM
Ff 7 duh. i would be so omni potent by the end of the first week that I could basicly destroy the universe if I wanted, and the person who put me there would be one of my many slaves. :smalltongue:
you dotn put a video game nerd in a game of his choice without expecting consequences.

Burley
2008-09-09, 09:11 AM
Either FFTA2 or Kingdom Hearts 2.

FFTA2 because I'd love to know what it feels like to use Magick Frenzy...for once.
Kingdom Hearts 2 because the Keyblade is awesome, and having two is Awesomer. Having two float around and attack while you cast an endless supply of magic.
I'm a little dizzy at the AWESOMESTNESS of it.

Mx.Silver
2008-09-09, 09:22 AM
Ff 7 duh. i would be so omni potent by the end of the first week that I could basicly destroy the universe if I wanted, and the person who put me there would be one of my many slaves. :smalltongue:
you dotn put a video game nerd in a game of his choice without expecting consequences.

How? You're still you, you know:smalltongue:

Hmm, tough question. SOme of favourite games have worlds it's probably best not living in (e.g. Shadow Hearts, whicch is early 20th century earth with semi-lovecraftian evil deities and Advance Wars...). There's a few possibilities (Golden Sun is interesting from a fantasy perspective, but I think I'd go with Escape Velocity: Nova. A Spaceship captain's life for me.

Fan
2008-09-09, 09:32 AM
How? You're still you, you know:smalltongue:

Hmm, tough question. SOme of favourite games have worlds it's probably best not living in (e.g. Shadow Hearts, whicch is early 20th century earth with semi-lovecraftian evil deities and Advance Wars...). There's a few possibilities (Golden Sun is interesting from a fantasy perspective, but I think I'd go with Escape Velocity: Nova. A Spaceship captain's life for me.
Materia can be wielded by any one with a weapon or a glove. Easy as that. I'd merely combo phoniex with last spell materia, and e immortal. then I would use mime/counter to create a infinte summoun loop on whoever attacked me.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-09, 10:18 AM
Um... NOT Silent Hill. Definitely not Silent Hill.
Not Condemned, fighting off deranged hoboes with a stick is not my idea of fun.
Not any strategy game, peasants tend to die hideously.
Not any FPS, I'm rather easier to kill than the average protagonist.
I'm going to have to go with Baldur's Gate.

Staven
2008-09-09, 10:35 AM
Bioshock. There, I am your god. I'd try to accomplish the evil ending and take over the world.

Or the sims. I'd live in a tricked out house and basically be the same person, except I'd speak a different language.

chiasaur11
2008-09-09, 10:50 AM
You know, Pokemon is actually a fairly good pick.

Armies of mighty monsters at your command, reasonably few major criminal, with those defeatable with a little training, a ton of countries to visit...

Galactic Civilizations might be kinda fun, aside from the Dread Lords.

Just thinking of the whole "command a whole species's armies" thing.

Drascin
2008-09-09, 10:56 AM
I can echo Tactics A2. The posibility to join a clan, spend the days fighting and traveling without the chance of actual, fatal wounds, and the chance to become a Seer if I work hard enough (first time I've been happy of being a simple human :smallwink:)... that would be awesome enough.

Zeful
2008-09-09, 01:06 PM
Materia can be wielded by any one with a weapon or a glove. Easy as that. I'd merely combo phoniex with last spell materia, and e immortal. then I would use mime/counter to create a infinte summoun loop on whoever attacked me.

Yeah but Cloud and the gang have the materia, and your not going to be able to take it from them.

Personally I'd take pokemon, preferably the anime over the game. Then become a trainer and teach my mon's advanced tactics to decimate the opposition.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-09, 01:11 PM
It'd pick one of the Starfox games assuming I got a half-animal form. If not, assuming I could save before betting, I'd pick GTA: San Andraes before using the horse races to make a ton of money.

Oregano
2008-09-09, 01:19 PM
I say Tactics A2 as well, we could all be members of a big happy clan, I would be a Blue Mage.

Or maybe perhaps FFIV's world, in one of the happy areas, definately not mist. Maybe Troia, it didn't actually get attacked, or does it?(it's where I am currently on the DS remake).

Victor Thorian
2008-09-09, 01:23 PM
anything in 40k...
mmm..
DAWN OF WAR!

ZekeArgo
2008-09-09, 01:42 PM
Hmmm, depends. Do you only get one go at it or do you remain in the game indefinitely? If the latter then Nethack or Slash'Em is head and shoulders above any other choice for me. Dungeon delving that is constantly changing and new content from the DevTeam with new twists and abilities? Pure awesomeness.

Mando Knight
2008-09-09, 01:59 PM
Well.. the end was the season 7, right?

Good point, considering that Q doesn't appear in any of the movies, and he's not bothering the Enterprise-D in DS9...

I don't know what game I'd like to be transported into. Perhaps KotOR, as Revan or the Exile...

Also, this thread reminded me of a Marvel Comic series, which includes What if Sgt. Fury had fought World War II...

...IN SPAAAAACE! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlekt6mtovm4vne?from=Main.RecycledINSPACE)

Erloas
2008-09-09, 02:30 PM
Do you die in the game or not? Or do you get the sorts of "keep the protaganist alive" things that are build into the game regen chambers ala Bioshock, wake up at the nearest temple/hospital/etc and you just die of old age, or you just get one regular death and thats it? Would save/reload sorts of things work?

If you can die like real life, ie being shot, ran over, falling, etc. then I would have to pick some of the more tame games, somthing like Pokemon or Monster Rancher or I'm sure there are a lot of other kids games that involve no killing.

If you have built in game mechanics but no ability to save/reload then I would probably have to pick something like EVE. Not like money is hard to come by, and living the game would probably be a lot more entertaining then playing the game, and as long as you always have a clone about (and don't cancel your subscription) you get to live forever. Sure the combat can be brutal, but with nothing else to do it is very easy to make piles of money with very little risk, just a lot of time. And once you do have some saved up you can go fight all you want and always have a clone waiting for you.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-09-09, 02:32 PM
Rome: Total War so I could get elected Dictator by the Senate and take over the world. Duuh.

Cubey
2008-09-09, 03:07 PM
anything in 40k...
mmm..
DAWN OF WAR!

You have chosen... poorly.
WH40k = you live a sad, miserable existance before dying a sad, miserable death. If you're lucky.

EDIT: Although if you're a Spehs Mahreen or something along that calibur, I guess it could be pretty fun. That gives us a good question to the OP - what position do I have? Am I what I'd be if I played the game (Cloud or his teammate in FF 7, some kind of commander in an RTS), or a random Joe Schmoe?

Pokemon still gives you the best balance of survivability and fun in both cases.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-09, 03:15 PM
Okay, if you want me to give a boring but reasonably safe answer, here are the Sims. If I went for the cool factor, then obviously SUPER ROBOT WARS! Oh, and I guess Pokemon for something in between these two.Yeah, I have to agree with SRW. They put the game-obsessed nerds in charge of their war-ending superweapons over there. Plus, it's almost impossible to die (unless you're in someone's backstory), and genre savviness actually works.

Oh, and giant robots and the chance to pilot them, can't forget that.

As a secondary choice, there's World of Warcraft...as an NPC. I'd never even have to move; I have an infinite army of player characters paying for the privilege of doing everything for me.

Pronounceable
2008-09-09, 07:34 PM
One of the cleaner (by clean I mean without weird or sick stuff) bishuoju game. If you don't know what that is, you're better off not knowing it.

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-09, 07:49 PM
Playboy: The Mansion. I'd tell you why but I don't wish to invoke the Mod stick.

Volug
2008-09-09, 07:53 PM
Okami

... Wolf >.>

pingcode20
2008-09-09, 07:59 PM
No, no, no, you're all doing it wrong!

Monkey Island!

The place where you can be a pirate without actually doing anything, and combat is done through insult swordfighting! It's also practically impossible to die!

warty goblin
2008-09-09, 08:14 PM
You have chosen... poorly.
WH40k = you live a sad, miserable existance before dying a sad, miserable death. If you're lucky.

When in doubt remember, it is better to die for the Emperor than live for oneself, and the Imperial Guard is always recruiting. Only Dawn of War gives those of us sheilded by our Faith in the God-Emperor the chance to get our innards ripped out and used for advant-garde landscaping by forces of Chaos that we truly crave, because only then will we have shown the depths of devotion.

Either that or you end up as an Ork, in which case you meet up with some a da' Boyz an' go on a WAAAUUGH! and fun is had by all.

Trazoi
2008-09-09, 08:48 PM
Monkey Island![/I]

The place where you can be a pirate without actually doing anything, and combat is done through insult swordfighting! It's also practically impossible to die!
You're only practically immortal if you're Guybrush Threepwood. Everyone else was fair game. You'd have a fairly decent chance of being converted into an undead pirate slave of LeChuck's.

Although you'd have nifty inventory storage in your pantaloons, which would be neat.

pingcode20
2008-09-09, 08:52 PM
You're only practically immortal if you're Guybrush Threepwood. Everyone else was fair game. You'd have a fairly decent chance of being converted into an undead pirate slave of LeChuck's.

Although you'd have nifty inventory storage in your pantaloons, which would be neat.

Not with Guybrush Threepwood around!

Besides, you could still do a heckuvalot worse than ye olde cruise-the-Caribbean style piracy. Even if you might be turned into a zombie pirate.

Trazoi
2008-09-09, 10:12 PM
Besides, you could still do a heckuvalot worse than ye olde cruise-the-Caribbean style piracy. Even if you might be turned into a zombie pirate.
Well that's true, and it would be great if you lucked out and landed on Melee Island or especially Booty Island - Phatt and Scab Islands, not so much, and Monkey Island ain't too great either.

Still, they all sound better than the typical apocalyptic nightmares most games are set in. The Pokemon world is a good choice too, but I still think I'll favour turnip farming and harvest festivals in Harvest Moon. This genie-like Q deal sounds like it'd bite you hard if you tried to be clever and pick a violent game :smallamused:.

Erothayce
2008-09-09, 10:35 PM
I'd live in Wow. With WOTLK of course.

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-09-09, 10:37 PM
Hmm...I wonder...I almost wanna say Super Smash Brothers: Brawl. I mean, no matter how much those characters get bashed around, they never seem to get hurt, at all. And...yeah.

Ganurath
2008-09-09, 10:46 PM
Oblivion. I'd start off by taking down melee oriented highwaymen, corpse looting to sell their gear to fund myself getting some Restoration spells, which will help me survive a genuine dungeon crawl, and so I'll use that to fund myself being able to get more spells, this time in Alteration and Illusion. Then, I'd... I guess I'd find a way to overcome old age, preferably other than vampirism. Perhaps the Shivering Isles campaign?

Demented
2008-09-10, 12:39 AM
Myst
Though I'm not inclined to write, there's nothing to kill you (usually), and the characters seem to have all the time in the world(s)....

Homeworld
Just make sure you're a science technician specializing in hyperspace drives. Everyone else does the dying while you get to play with all the cool toys.

Tomb Raider
It's just like the real world, except the ancient civilizations were worth a darn and huge breasts are not a gravitational burden. (Though the latter wouldn't be of any personal benefit to me, I can see its advantages.)

Talkkno
2008-09-10, 12:46 AM
Morrowind, potion abuse FTW

Don Julio Anejo
2008-09-10, 01:35 AM
Tomb Raider
It's just like the real world, except the ancient civilizations were worth a darn and huge breasts are not a gravitational burden. (Though the latter wouldn't be of any personal benefit to me, I can see its advantages.)
I take it you've never heard of the Goauld or the Alterans or the Asgard or a dozen other "ancient civilizations"? :biggrin:

Vonriel
2008-09-10, 01:53 AM
You said Q does this to me, right? Then it doesn't matter what game I pick, as the game will mean nothing to him. He can't read my mind, so unless I pick a game he's familiar with, he'll never keep his part of the bargain. Any game I pick that he's familiar with, well, I seriously doubt they're player-friendly. :smalltongue:

However, metagaming aside, I'd probably echo the pokemon vote. Though, it does depend heavily on what position I'm expected to take. If I can be the commander in an RTS, it's Starcraft all the way baby. :smallamused:

Zarah
2008-09-10, 02:18 AM
Medieval II: Total War would be kinda fun to be in, I think. After all, I could take over most of the world, and when that starts boring me, I could be the first to sail to the new world. Yeah, that'd be pretty-- *is struck down by an inquisitor*

Reinboom
2008-09-10, 02:23 AM
I'm very sure almost everyone here has chosen... badly.
Since, the last rule the OP placed sort of screws over most game worlds, that is, sentience to the individuals there (which would highly suggest sapience, otherwise, the game worlds would act very odd).
Enemies run away when there is a clear threat. Gang in more than just groups of 2 to 6. Obvious decisions rather than plot armor decisions (Giovani just hiring someone to, y'know, assassinate Red/Ash). Dr. Wily putting spikes in every freaking location in his fortresses, where the only possible way to get through is to use some obscure secret that requires the weapon of the boss of that fortress... rather than a different one.
Small things that would make games obvious losses against those who are already in power.

Generally, the only exceptions are games that have the hero be an unknown towards most of the plot against the 'BBEG' or a logical tool and where the system doesn't hold back when the hero runs forward OR where the plot doesn't effect the whole world.

The Sims would be a decent choice, as has been mentioned.
Almost all Final Fantasies would fail miserably.
Any more open (sandbox) and less world effecting D&D based system would work, as long as the mechanics stayed so that you could grind levels.
Most MMOs would fail miserably, as all the NPCs start making their own choices and give their cries to help to the first person who can complete it...
Etc.

Also, I believe you do not get to choose status, as for how often "you" is repeated by the OP. My interpretation of this is suddenly being stuck in a video as yourself. That is, no ties to the video game.

Now, for the game of my choice, I would still need more rules:
Do I get to choose location?
Do I get to choose time period?

If the system can be abused still, Baldur's Gate II.

Oregano
2008-09-10, 02:32 AM
Well we'd join a clan in FFTA2 and in it you can't die in a fight if you're in a clan, so we'd be unkillable, we could still get roughed up though.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-10, 02:36 AM
Sapience doesn't equal intelligence, you know. It's been posited, for the sake of crossover/real-person-in-a-game discussions like this that plot/gameplay-based decisions (Wily's inability to build an impregnable lair or, you know, have more than one sort of evil plot) are based on the physical laws of the particular world or psychological compulsion of the particular character.

Heck, look at Erfworld. The oddities of TBS games are built into the physics of that world. You can't have more than X units in one hex. Units lack any decision-making ability without some kind of Leader. No strategic action is possible except during certain times of the day. Etc.

While I admit that NPC sapience would probably still blow my WoW idea, I still feel confident that the Earth Federation Army would hire my unqualified ass, and that the bad guys still don't have enough sense to use spells (seriously, Ingram. Strike/Valor/Alert/Axion Buster. I know you can do it, you were a PC like three levels ago).

Don Julio Anejo
2008-09-10, 02:39 AM
@SweetRein: I don't think even Q (I assume he's similar to a Genie with a twisted sense of humour or somesuch?) would do something that uninteresting as stick you in a game world as some peasant grunt in an RTS whose job is to jack some wood and then run away when enemies come nearby.

Vonriel
2008-09-10, 02:48 AM
(I assume he's similar to a Genie with a twisted sense of humour or somesuch?)

That's pretty much him in a nutshell, yes. All the power in the universe, and he chooses to screw around with the crew of the Enterprise-D(?), pulling such shenanigans as - in his first appearance - putting good old Captain Picard on trial for the failures and sins of all humanity.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-10, 02:50 AM
Of course, it was Captain f'ing Picard, so he got us off scott free.

I'd be in a Star Trek game, except they all kind of suck and I'd end up either a redshirt or the captain of a non-Enterprise vessel (which is a redshirt with command pips.)

Demented
2008-09-10, 03:19 AM
I take it you've never heard of the Goauld or the Alterans or the Asgard or a dozen other "ancient civilizations"? :biggrin:

Those aren't in real life either. Plus, they come in a setting that includes an alien race bent on controlling the galaxy and presumably destroying humanity. I'll pass.

pingcode20
2008-09-10, 03:28 AM
Those aren't in real life either. Plus, they come in a setting that includes an alien race bent on controlling the galaxy and presumably destroying humanity. I'll pass.

And, knowing Q, even if you ended up with the Alterans you'd simultaneously be unlucky enough to have them on the lowest difficulty setting ('High Concentrations of Lead in the soil').

Cubey
2008-09-10, 09:11 AM
Sapience doesn't equal intelligence, you know.

What he said. If the OP meant that everyone suddenly becomes very smart, cunning and genre-savvy then I'd choose WoW in a heartbeat. FINALLY, I could PuG with intelligent people!

Still sticking to pokemans. Also, SRW looks like a good choice at first, but then I remembered one of the last scenarios I played. Yuuki, Carla, Kyosuke and Bob Everyman (mook in a Landlion) tried to take care of enemies in the southern part of the map. Guess whose mecha went boom. :smallannoyed:
Of course, Bob Everyman couldn't use spirit skills.

chiasaur11
2008-09-10, 11:24 AM
What he said. If the OP meant that everyone suddenly becomes very smart, cunning and genre-savvy then I'd choose WoW in a heartbeat. FINALLY, I could PuG with intelligent people!

Still sticking to pokemans. Also, SRW looks like a good choice at first, but then I remembered one of the last scenarios I played. Yuuki, Carla, Kyosuke and Bob Everyman (mook in a Landlion) tried to take care of enemies in the southern part of the map. Guess whose mecha went boom. :smallannoyed:
Of course, Bob Everyman couldn't use spirit skills.

Yeah.

The great thing is, even if Giovonii or such sends a guy with a gun after you, you can block it with a steel type, then beat him senseless with your small army of incredibly strong monstrosities, loyal to your every command.

Plus, he wouldn't even know to send somebody until midway into the game. You start as a nobody. Pokemon is near ideal.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-10, 11:43 AM
One of the cleaner (by clean I mean without weird or sick stuff) bishuoju game. If you don't know what that is, you're better off not knowing it.

http://ffrpg.republika.pl/dating.PNG

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-10, 12:07 PM
You know, being the main character of one of those Japanese dating sims wouldn't be bad. Dating as a multiple choice quiz? I can handle that.

It's just a question of knowing which ones are, y'know...safe. Or at least competently written.

Zeful
2008-09-10, 01:33 PM
I'm very sure almost everyone here has chosen... badly.
Since, the last rule the OP placed sort of screws over most game worlds, that is, sentience to the individuals there (which would highly suggest sapience, otherwise, the game worlds would act very odd).
Enemies run away when there is a clear threat. Gang in more than just groups of 2 to 6. Obvious decisions rather than plot armor decisions (Giovani just hiring someone to, y'know, assassinate Red/Ash). Dr. Wily putting spikes in every freaking location in his fortresses, where the only possible way to get through is to use some obscure secret that requires the weapon of the boss of that fortress... rather than a different one.
Small things that would make games obvious losses against those who are already in power.

Execpt I'm me placed into [insert game here]'s world, I'm not [series protaginist]. [series protaginist] is alive, well and fumbling through whatever challenges that befall [appropriate gender pronoun].

And remeber each character in any game/movie/literature anywhere, take actions that fall into that character's characterization (or personality). So any action made for plot reasons (Giovani not assassinating Ash/Red) are actually part of the character's decision-making process (Giovani believes he's invinsible).

Albub
2008-09-10, 01:58 PM
Urban Dead. The very worst possible scenario is me getting turned into a zombie and getting to babble in their hilarious zombie-speak.

Mando Knight
2008-09-10, 02:04 PM
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/dating.PNG

...does the third option mean what I think it means? I can't read Japanese, so I have no idea.
Maybe it's time to take Rosetta Stone up on their claims...

Zeful
2008-09-10, 02:13 PM
...does the third option mean what I think it means? I can't read Japanese, so I have no idea.

Based on the other 2 options yes I'm pretty sure it's what you think it means. I mean what other meanings could "Put it in" have?

Dervag
2008-09-10, 02:28 PM
On the other hand, you would have the sense of throwing a bucket of water on the flaming dwarfBut would you want to be surrounded by people who don't have that much sense? Remember, you might be the one who catches fire next.

As I recall, one dwarf fortress was destroyed by fire in the following way:

A dwarf somehow caught fire. When he died, he left behind clothes that were on fire. Then, and this is the tricky part, other dwarfs picked up the clothes and put them on. They also caught fire. In the process of running around burning to death, they set the entire fortress on fire.

I would not want to live in a community where that kind of thing could plausibly happen.

No, no, no, you're all doing it wrong!

Monkey Island!

The place where you can be a pirate without actually doing anything, and combat is done through insult swordfighting! It's also practically impossible to die!I think you win.

Reinboom
2008-09-10, 05:45 PM
Execpt I'm me placed into 's world, I'm not [series protaginist]. [series protaginist] is alive, well and fumbling through whatever challenges that befall [appropriate gender pronoun].

This is why it's generally unwise to just quote or read a first section of posts, or at the very least, just reply as though the other piece didn't exist.

Generally, the only exceptions are games that have the hero be an unknown towards most of the plot against the 'BBEG' or a logical tool and where the system doesn't hold back when the hero runs forward OR where the plot doesn't effect the whole world.

That's using a logical OR here, as in, when you are part of a game that has a plot doesn't effect the whole world, then, you can tend to be safe. However, when the plot of the protagonist effects everybody... like in most large scale games, I would once again declare it "bad choice", unless the game is designed in such a way (the first statement of the OR) where the sudden gain of sentience won't directly effect how NPCs react.

Sapience doesn't equal intelligence, you know. It's been posited, for the sake of crossover/real-person-in-a-game discussions like this that plot/gameplay-based decisions (Wily's inability to build an impregnable lair or, you know, have more than one sort of evil plot) are based on the physical laws of the particular world or psychological compulsion of the particular character.

Heck, look at Erfworld. The oddities of TBS games are built into the physics of that world. You can't have more than X units in one hex. Units lack any decision-making ability without some kind of Leader. No strategic action is possible except during certain times of the day. Etc.

While I admit that NPC sapience would probably still blow my WoW idea, I still feel confident that the Earth Federation Army would hire my unqualified ass, and that the bad guys still don't have enough sense to use spells (seriously, Ingram. Strike/Valor/Alert/Axion Buster. I [I]know you can do it, you were a PC like three levels ago).

Given how loose the term sapience tends to be used (We are homo sapiens after all, yet great wisdom/sound judgment I wouldn't rate too high on our list) it would come down to our standard. Beyond that, and to try to avoid semantics, when a creature that can speak, make decisions, and have enough of a thought process to build a plot whilst trying - I would consider them to have at least a low standard of human intelligence by this point. Unless they are wired to the world's strict mechanics in such a way that they couldn't break free from their standard routines, in which case, it would've been pointless for the OP to even mention sentience since all it would mean is that all NPCs suddenly become aware that the only thing they can perform in their life is things they would've done even without sentience.

Also, when you try to adhere to a games world's physics strictly, then there comes other problems with most game worlds - given that it would be you being put in there.
Eating.

To me, this topic requires a lot more elaboration.

Pronounceable
2008-09-10, 08:57 PM
Maybe it's time to take Rosetta Stone up on their claims...

Yes, I forgot. It's also gotta be a translated one.

And "put it in" is probably number one and "go home" number three.

AlphaLuke
2008-09-10, 11:52 PM
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Final Fantasy X
Mass Effect
Oblivion (With expansions of course)
or
Assasin's Creed

Sam
2008-09-11, 01:01 AM
I have to clarify, don't I?

Okay, as I said, everyone else is sentient and you are the protagonist (or another character who is NOT a God, the main villain, etc). Many of you think for example that the villians will simply hire an assassin- however, that is only if you follow the plot and piss them off AND fail to criple them or have them know your face. Provided you are clever you can probably avoid things like that. Unless you are the center of destiny, in which case you probably are going to need sentaries. And check for poison.

In addtion, this means you can... avoid mandatory plot requirements. Not to mention you can get allies who are not idiots. Yes, Ariel doesn't have to die- and knowing how certain people react in certain situations is helpful- it will make people think you are psychic. Of course, everyones plans will be changed immediately after, but it is still a neat trick.

Presumably, they will be "dumb" the first time, and learn from the encounter (how come we never thought of that before!). Of course, unlike video game heroes, you get to keep your stuff.

In certain games you have... ways out of death- Rome Total War, you become the heir.

Also, 40K is a BAD choice. Let me lay it out simply- you know the Imperium, who is your likely master? Having hope feeds the Great enemy- as does love, as does pleasure, as does affection, as does joy in work as does violence...

The only thing that does not feed Choas is hate and intolerance- for that is the portfolio of the God Emperor of Mankind.

Joing up with the other powers has it own problems- the Tao, if you ignore their Stalinism, have the joy of living only 40 years.

Honestly, I'm surprised people would pick and RTS or a game like Baulders game. I mean in Gate, you spend a good portion being tortured into insanity and you deal with wounds from weapons that rip up your body, while in an RTS like any total war game... you send tens of thousands to their death. More to the point, alot of RPGs have you traveling in the wilderness in heavy armor loaded with gear. Even with your strength score, it will hurt.

As for things like food, water, bathrooms, etc. Persume that they have them in games where they are considered irrelevant. Otherwise every NPC will die in days. In addition, you have the abilities you do in real life- you can jump over small piles of rocks and other arbitrary problems... as well as go "of screen". Off Screen doesn't exist for the people in the world- assume the world is internally consistant (see those boulder walls in Pokemon? Don't exist).

Reinboom
2008-09-11, 01:19 AM
Now, see, you changed/added on to your premise instead of just clarifying. :smalltongue:

as I said, everyone else is sentient and you are the protagonist

Nowhere in your first post did you even mention being the protagonist.
This is why, under your first post Baldur's Gate is not a bad choice. As long as you are not the main character and could adhere to the game laws of it (become a spellcaster or level, etc.) it becomes a wonderful place.

Yet, this makes no sense for you to declare this and then declare most RTSs a bad choice. For example, in StarCraft... you are rarely in harm's way if you are the protagonist, given, you're going to be behind a screen directing people where to go. The commander is the protagonist.

Brother Oni
2008-09-11, 02:09 AM

It's a clip from Excel Saga (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExcelSaga).

That third option means exactly what you think it means, although bearing in mind that in the game, she's your sister... :smalleek:

Moonshadow
2008-09-11, 03:47 AM
**** YEAH, SRW!

or, FFTA2. I want my cat hood! :D

Fan
2008-09-11, 03:49 AM
It's a clip from Excel Saga (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExcelSaga).

That third option means exactly what you think it means, although bearing in mind that in the game, she's your sister... :smalleek:

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Brother Oni
2008-09-11, 06:22 AM
:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Indeed. The incest theme turns up a worrying amount in Japanese dating sims, hence the repeated proviso of a safe dating sim.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-11, 06:35 AM
**** YEAH, SRW!

Judging by your username, aren't you there already?

Only through sheer willpower I managed not to succumb for at least an hour into the depths of TV Tropes.

Avilan the Grey
2008-09-11, 06:50 AM
I am old enough, so...

Leisure Suite Larry! (Any version) :smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smallcool:

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-11, 08:13 AM
anything in 40k...
mmm..
DAWN OF WAR!

*looks at name* well, we ARE always recruting...

Hmm... tough choice....

Maybe... Morrowind?

After fire emblem, I feel unphased.

Moonshadow
2008-09-11, 08:16 AM
Judging by your username, aren't you there already?

Only through sheer willpower I managed not to succumb for at least an hour into the depths of TV Tropes.

Maybe I am :smalltongue:

But hey, I'm a mecha fanboy >_>;

Trazoi
2008-09-11, 08:20 AM
I am old enough, so...

Leisure Suite Larry! (Any version) :smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smallcool:
A Sierra adventure game? Have you got a death wish? Damn near everything will kill you in those worlds.

chiasaur11
2008-09-11, 12:41 PM
You know, in spite of the fact I'm firmly in the "40K is one of the worst options" camp, I feel the OP overstated things.

I mean, Ciaphas Cain (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM) could enjoy himself without falling to chaos, and the Emperor is powered by faith (one of the three central virtues), not raw hatred.

Still, it's a bad place to be.

Sledge_bro
2008-09-11, 01:20 PM
For anyone who wants to be in 40k remember this; The god of hope isevil

I cannot beleive the first thing that popped into my head when I read the OP was "Team fortress 2" I don't know why It did, that would be a terrible idea...

If I had a Proper choice after thinking, Pokemon/FFTA2, both would be nice, mabye going for FF if you could hitch a ride home with Luso.

UncleWolf
2008-09-11, 02:22 PM
If you get to play as someone I would most likely play as The Nameless One in Plainscape: Torment

You can't die, period.

If i just play as a myself I would have to choose Dungeon Siege 2.

Cubey
2008-09-11, 02:25 PM
If you get to play as someone I would most likely play as The Nameless One in Plainscape: Torment

You can't die, period.

Right, but then - his existence is so painful (it's even in the title!) that he actively WANTS to die.

mathieumg
2008-09-11, 03:33 PM
No, no, no, you're all doing it wrong!Monkey Island!

Yes, MI <3

Reinboom
2008-09-11, 06:09 PM
Alright, a different choice for me:

Toy Story (it was a game too :smalltongue: )

Sam
2008-09-12, 02:38 AM
Okay, as I said, everyone else is sentient and you are the protagonist (or another character who is NOT a God, the main villain, etc).

Please read the post, the whole post and nothing but the post, so help you moderators!

Reinboom
2008-09-12, 02:43 AM
Please read the post, the whole post and nothing but the post, so help you moderators!

and as I said when quoting that direct line.

Nowhere in your first post did you even mention being the protagonist.

Kimusabe
2008-09-12, 04:37 AM
I can't think of a specific game right now. But I would really enjoy being in something like Devil May Cry, because everything they do in those games is so intense and awesome, and then I'd be able to do all the awesome things like Dante and Nero :smallbiggrin:

Cept not actually DMC, because it would get boring after a while, but something similar, but with more flexability with the freedom stuff. (Y'kno, like being able to have more than demon slaying in your life)

Drascin
2008-09-12, 07:16 AM
or, FFTA2. I want my cat hood! :D

Ah, FFTA2. The only game where a white cat-hood is a symbol of awesome and MANLINESS! :smallbiggrin:

Sam
2008-09-12, 09:15 PM
Fair enough.

SITB
2008-09-13, 03:35 AM
I'd choose to by in one of the Disgaea games, preferably as one of the crazy powerful classes you get after finishing the game.

Because any game where I can grind my way into having enough power to destroy whole continents when annoyed is a awesome choice.

Setra
2008-09-13, 04:44 AM
Hmm...

Sexy Beach 3?

... Maybe X-Change... or perhaps Let's Meow meow...

Shuffle is also an idea... as well as several others...

If I had to choose... probably Let's Meow Meow.

Ps. Don't look up any of those