PDA

View Full Version : Quick 4E Question

purepolarpanzer
2008-09-09, 10:09 AM
Page with gold past first level? And book? Specifically looking for second level gold.

TwystidMynd
2008-09-09, 10:16 AM
It's in the DMG, and I believe it's in the index under "Starting at Higher Levels"

I may be wrong about the heading, though I know it's in the DMG.

I don't know about copyright and stuff, though, otherwise I'd post the actual rules here.

Ent
2008-09-09, 10:22 AM
That's right, it's p. 143, step #7.

fractic
2008-09-09, 10:26 AM
I don't know about copyright and stuff, though, otherwise I'd post the actual rules here.

It's not possible to copyright game rules only the way the are presented in a book can be copyrighted. The forum rules forbid posting copyrighted material such as monster stat blocks but it's allowed to mention a rule.

If you start at a higher level then 1 you get 3 magic items, one of your level, another one level higher and the last one level lower. You also get an amount of gold equal to the price of a magic item one level lower then you.

Personally I would deviate from this rule for starting at level 2 or 3 and give out only 1 or 2 items respectively.

Charity
2008-09-09, 10:32 AM
It has been answered here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4506138#post4506138) which would be a good place to post any similarly straightforward Q's btw.

Q41

Where is the table on starting equipment for higher level player characters?

I suspect sure this one is obvious, but I can't find the dang thing.

Edit: got it

A41

DMG 143

1 magic item of level +1
1 magic item of level
1 magic item of level -1
gold of value of magic item level -1 which may be spent on anything
for those suspicious of links...

Yakk
2008-09-09, 12:14 PM
Note that the value of a magic item is roughly 200 * 5^(Level/5).

This saves you from having to play with the table. ;-)

fractic
2008-09-09, 12:22 PM
Note that the value of a magic item is roughly 200 * 5^(Level/5).

This saves you from having to play with the table. ;-)

Now now, at least provide a exact formula. The price of a magic item of level n can be found as follows. Divide n by 5 with remainder to find n = 5*q+r with r<5. The price then equals

(200+160*r)*5^q

gold pieces.

The New Bruceski
2008-09-09, 02:19 PM
It's not possible to copyright game rules only the way the are presented in a book can be copyrighted. The forum rules forbid posting copyrighted material such as monster stat blocks but it's allowed to mention a rule.

That seems off. If I were to ask "What are all the Gensai racial feats from the FR splatbook" it would be kosher to list them and the details?

fractic
2008-09-09, 02:25 PM
That seems off. If I were to ask "What are all the Gensai racial feats from the FR splatbook" it would be kosher to list them and the details?

You can't quote the text of the feats directly because there is a copyright on the text. You can say these feats give you x and y benefits because those rules aren't copyrightable.

[edit]: There is also the OGL. This licence basically gives you permission to use the text of the content even verbatim. I thought there were some restrictions though but I'm not sure. If someone could elaborate, it'd be apreciated.

Yakk
2008-09-09, 02:59 PM
Now now, at least provide a exact formula. The price of a magic item of level n can be found as follows. Divide n by 5 with remainder to find n = 5*q+r with r<5. The price then equals

(200+160*r)*5^q

gold pieces.
Meh, that is just the simplified, rounded equation they presented in the books. ;-)

If you copied the method of presentation (ie, the text), you'd be breaking the law. If you simply described how it works in your own words, no, I don't believe so.

This particular board may not let you do anything near to that, but that is up to the board, not the law.