PDA

View Full Version : Have we ever seen Redcloak without the cloak?

Fawkes
2008-09-09, 10:39 AM
Other than the beginning of SoD, before he receives it, I don' think we've ever seen him without it. Someone in another thread implied that we had, but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help me out here?

Lira
2008-09-09, 10:49 AM
Here you go:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0149.html

David Argall
2008-09-09, 01:51 PM
I had forgotten that one.

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-09, 03:52 PM
Here you go:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0149.html

That doesn't really makes sense with the SoD story line.

Remirach
2008-09-09, 03:57 PM
I think it still works. It just means that for so long as he wears the cloak, he's magically prevented from aging. If he takes it off, he'd age again as normal -- but he wouldn't just suddenly gain 35 years in an instant.

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-09, 03:58 PM
I think it still works. It just means that for so long as he wears the cloak, he's magically prevented from aging. If he takes it off, he'd age again as normal -- but he wouldn't just suddenly gain 35 years in an instant.

Which might kill him from shock:smalltongue:

Lissou
2008-09-09, 04:01 PM

Why? Would the cloak be created to be worn even while sleeping, bathing, breeding? (ooh, kinky).
Anyways, it's probably perfectly fine to take it off from time to time.

My guess (SoD spoilers)
is that Redcloak could remove it, and would then age normally, not be immune to anything, and so on. He wouldn't lose any levels, though.
But... that's what's important, too. It may never happen, but if someone was to realise the importnce of the cloak... They could steal it, or keep it instead of RC.

SteveMB
2008-09-09, 04:14 PM
Why? Would the cloak be created to be worn even while sleeping, bathing, breeding? (ooh, kinky).
Anyways, it's probably perfectly fine to take it off from time to time.

My guess (SoD spoilers)
is that Redcloak could remove it, and would then age normally, not be immune to anything, and so on. He wouldn't lose any levels, though.

If removing the cloak cased him to age normally during the time he had it off (or if he thought that was the case), he probably would wear it while sleeping (that's about a third of the time for humans -- dunno offhand about goblins), and only remove it when really necessary (presumably, the hobgoblins insisted on it for the ritual).

Spiryt
2008-09-09, 04:21 PM
I guess it's just no so literall - as long as he is the bearer of the cloak, and don't put it off for longer than few days, and storage it in some safe, with respect, cloak "works" for him.

Lissou
2008-09-09, 04:21 PM
If removing the cloak cased him to age normally during the time he had it off (or if he thought that was the case), he probably would wear it while sleeping (that's about a third of the time for humans -- dunno offhand about goblins), and only remove it when really necessary (presumably, the hobgoblins insisted on it for the ritual).

I do think he wears it most of the time, I'm just saying DO wouldn't have created something that risked killing the person if they ever stopped wearing it, or something.

NerfTW
2008-09-09, 08:06 PM
Considering the previous bearer didn't turn into dust when he took it off, I'd say he either ages normally while not wearing it, or the non aging/disease immunity is due to the Dark One's blessing, and not directly tied to the cloak.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-09, 08:46 PM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but all this business about the Cloak is an SoD spoiler, plus, this thread contains speculation as to events may may yet happen, which were dubbed spoilers.

Shouldn't the thread be marked "spoiler" now?

Linkavitch
2008-09-11, 01:52 PM

It's probably his blankie!:tongue:

chibibar
2008-09-11, 02:02 PM
some spoiler

I believe the Dark One Blessing can come from the cloak, as long you are the bearer, the blessing continues BUT as a god, a god can choose to continue to bless the bearer and previous owner of the cloak (again, it could be residual aging)

I think it just stop aging or slows it down to a crawl, when remove, the person will age normally.

I.E. Wear the cloak at 20 years old on the dot. Lets say you age 1 day = 1 year (this is a made up number) after 20 years he takes off the cloak, RedCloak is not 20 years old + 20 days. 3 days later he is 20 years old + 23 days :)

That is how I would interpret it. It is a god level blessing after all not just some mortal magic.

Silveus
2008-09-11, 02:41 PM
he is wearing a redish belt. that could be the cloak roled up and rapped around his waist

AKA_Bait
2008-09-11, 02:46 PM
he is wearing a redish belt. that could be the cloak roled up and rapped around his waist

As much as part of me wants to really run with that... I just don't see it.

Renx
2008-09-11, 02:48 PM
My guess is that:

It's like that elven chainmail artifact, once you don it it takes a week to attune, then you age like an elf until you 'lose' the artifact, ie don't wear it for a week.

Also, the 4th or so post in this thread doesn't have spoiler tags around SoD spoilers.

ericgrau
2008-09-11, 02:52 PM
I thought his cleric powers were weak before the cloak, and the moment he donned it he was able to pull off some nasty spells. So... without it he's still high enough level to cast slay living?

I think the whole cloak thing was added later.

Lissou
2008-09-11, 03:37 PM
I thought his cleric powers were weak before the cloak, and the moment he donned it he was able to pull off some nasty spells. So... without it he's still high enough level to cast slay living?

I don't think his spells are all due to the cloak. Some are from his domains, for instance. (Smite is. Destruction is, too, although he doesn't use it until way later, does it?)

chibibar
2008-09-11, 03:44 PM

it is possible, but don't forget after THAT many years (in comic said this) being with Xykon, I'm sure Redcloak has risen a level or two.

Most artifacts (this is a general remark to D&D gamers) usually have built in powers of some sort. Most artifacts has a limit on per day/per use/per whatever on the abilities or have built in abilities like +spells levels like ring of wizardry.

But again, this is OoTS Artifact so it might have even more or less powers, but since it is from a god, who knows :) it will forever be a mystery until The Giant decides to tell us.

Theodoriph
2008-09-11, 03:48 PM
What I never understood was how RC could drop those heavy iron balls on his foot and not feel pain.

Redcloak's smite wasn't a spell. It was an ability (like the paladin's smite). It's granted by the Crimson mantle.

Destruction is a domain spell that he gets.

Flickerdart
2008-09-11, 03:55 PM
What I never understood was how RC could drop those heavy iron balls on his foot and not feel pain.
Actually, those look like coconuts to me...

Theodoriph
2008-09-11, 03:59 PM
Actually, those look like coconuts to me...

Holding up coconuts isn't much of a challenge. And that climate doesn't really seem suited for coconuts.

Lissou
2008-09-11, 04:23 PM
It's not on his foot. It's still falling when it seems to be on his foot. When it's fallen, we can see it's in front of it. He's lucky it missed, I guess, but it didn't fall on him.

EDIT: oh, also, I'm pretty sure Rich knew what he was doing. RC is mentionned to be a high cleric of the Dark One pretty early on, and The Giant has been planning stuff quite early. He decided stuff we still don't know about when most of us were not even reading the comic yet. And he's stated that he didn't change things that would negate earlier strips. So, I'm pretty sure it's not a mistake.

Who knows, maybe Rich thought we might have that type of theories, and decided to prevent them by showing us Redcloak without his cloak even before telling us the importance of said cloak. He's done things like that before (Haley's speech impediment to develop her character before she'd go out with Elan, for instance. And of course, them finally starting to go out right before they're separated).

Nerdanel
2008-09-11, 05:00 PM
Re: spells

I think the Crimson Mantle gives its wearer a number of spell-like abilities. The young Redcloak would have made use of those. However later on Redcloak becomes a powerful cleric in his own right, so that (notwithstanding the other qualities) the spell-like abilities may be just a durability boost rather than a game-changing factor for him.

AceOfFools
2008-09-11, 11:13 PM
Review of events in SoD:
After RC put on the cloak, he gets visibly empowered, glowing with some internal light and differently colored speech bubble in large text commands "LEARN."
He then uses smite (the name of the destruction domain's granted power that ups attack and damage from a normal attack) to punch someone's head into little pieces.

Next piece of information relating to RC's magic is that he was high enough level to cast flame strike (either 7 or 9, I forget which), and shortly thereafter turns Xykon into a lich (which requires an 11th level caster).

He then uses an unnamed spell that looks very similar to the slay living he uses in the above linked strip, which is a spell any level 9+ cleric can use.

While rescuing MitD, he uses an unnamed fire spell, shatter and insect plague (both lower level than slay living or flamestrike), and claims to be able to cast the sixth level blade barrier.

He mentions to his brother that approximately 1.5 years after that he gained access to seventh level spells.

The only magic that a normal cleric with the destruction domain couldn't do was the whole immune to disease/aging thing.

And I still can't believe that that I could do that like 2 minutes. Or that I decided that was a good use of 2 minutes.

Teatime
2008-09-11, 11:44 PM
Holding up coconuts isn't much of a challenge. And that climate doesn't really seem suited for coconuts.

Are you implying that coconuts migrate?

kpenguin
2008-09-11, 11:58 PM
Are you implying that coconuts migrate?

Not at all, they could be carried.

Chronos
2008-09-12, 11:43 AM
Next piece of information relating to RC's magic is that he was high enough level to cast flame strike (either 7 or 9, I forget which), and shortly thereafter turns Xykon into a lich (which requires an 11th level caster).The 11th-level caster was Xykon. When making a magic item (such as a phylactery), multiple characters can collaborate, each contributing some of the prerequisites. The only requirements for a phylactery are caster level 11 and the Craft Wondrous Item feat. Presumably, Xykon contributed the former, and Redcloak contributed the latter. We know Redcloak wasn't level 11 at that time, because he says that he can't yet cast Heal.

And coconuts aren't all that heavy, but then, neither is blue face paint. It's possible that the purpose of the coconuts was just to make Redcloak look ridiculous.

ericgrau
2008-09-12, 02:52 PM
Not at all, they could be carried.

What could carry a coconut that far? :smallsmile:

chibibar
2008-09-12, 03:25 PM
What could carry a coconut that far? :smallsmile:

African Swallow ;)

KilltheToy
2008-09-13, 11:02 AM
African Swallow ;)

http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/

Or perhaps a European swallow.

Flickerdart
2008-09-13, 11:14 AM
African Swallow ;)
What is this "Africa" you speak of? I have never heard of it before (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html)