PDA

View Full Version : Stolen by Ninja!

Cowboy_ninja
2008-09-09, 01:18 PM
situation: a ninja ghost steps and wants to steal something off of his opponent during combat.

how does it work? sleight of hand? disarm? any bonuses for being invisible?

Toliudar
2008-09-09, 01:23 PM
I think this outlines how that works. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grabbingItems) A lot will depend on how the DM pictures the item being secured.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-09, 01:25 PM
I'd assume it would depend on whether they were holding the item or not. If they are holding it, I'd say that disarm would be the best way to do it. I'd say being invisible should grant a bonus, but I'm not sure how big it should be.

Keld Denar
Sleight of Hand unless its a wielded weapon, then disarm.

Not normally, although your DM is free to assign the DM helper (+2 circumstance bonus/penalty) for a favorable situation.

Using most skills is a standard action, unless the discription specifies otherwise (part of a move, longer than a standard action, etc).

Cowboy_ninja
I think this outlines how that works. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grabbingItems) A lot will depend on how the DM pictures the item being secured.

so just a regular disarm check?

Telonius
2008-09-09, 01:27 PM
Depends on what he's trying to lift. If it's a "small unattended item," then it's a DC 20 Sleight of Hand check, to see if you get the item. RAW, the opponent makes a Spot check, opposed by the Sleight of Hand check, in order to notice that you tried it (whether or not you get the item).

In this case, I would rule that the spot check would take a -20 penalty from you being "invisible but moving" (as per the +20 bonus on Hide checks in the same situation).

EDIT: If it's an attended item (that is, worn or otherwise secured to his body), then you use the rules above.

Cowboy_ninja
2008-09-09, 01:32 PM
Depends on what he's trying to lift. If it's a "small unattended item," then it's a DC 20 Sleight of Hand check, to see if you get the item. RAW, the opponent makes a Spot check, opposed by the Sleight of Hand check, in order to notice that you tried it (whether or not you get the item).

In this case, I would rule that the spot check would take a -20 penalty from you being "invisible but moving" (as per the +20 bonus on Hide checks in the same situation).

EDIT: If it's an attended item (that is, worn or otherwise secured to his body), then you use the rules above.

what if your trying to lift a caster's meterial components bag, maybe we can assume that if its attached to his belt the ninja can sever it loose with a knife.

EDIT: ok ok. an attended item means a disarm check, so.... any bonuses for invisibility? i really think a ninja with a knife is slick enough to lift a bag of compenents pouch with out resistance (unless spoted...which is hard to do when your invisible)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-09, 01:34 PM
what if your trying to lift a caster's meterial components bag, maybe we can assume that if its attached to his belt the ninja can sever it loose with a knife.Don't bother, I've never had a Caster above level 3 without at least 3 pouches, including one in an HHH.

Telonius
2008-09-09, 01:40 PM
Yeah, something like that's along the lines of, "Will he notice if I steal his pants?" A spell component pouch is a relatively heavy thing (2lb). I'd say that falls under the "Grabbing Items" rule. You wouldn't provoke an Attack of Opportunity (unless he makes a stratospheric Spot check or a See Invisibility active), you would get a +4 bonus for it being "poorly secured" and a +2 bonus for being invisible. (Standard bonus to attacks from an Invisible creature. Unfortunately the disarm roll is an opposed attack, so ignoring his dex to AC doesn't help you at all).