PDA

View Full Version : Goin' to Australia and New Zealand

Gem Flower
2008-09-09, 03:59 PM
So, who knows about good hotels or resorts that cost less than $500 a night in Australia or New Zealand. Or about stuff my family and I can do while we're there? Anybody?

Dispozition
2008-09-09, 04:03 PM
Less than $500...$500 AUD or USD?

Either way, a lot of them, I believe...Also, which cities you're going to might help.

Gem Flower
2008-09-09, 04:07 PM
Cities? We've got two weeks in Australia, one in New Zealand. It's pretty much open. And it's $500 Canadian.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-09-09, 04:46 PM
For your helper's convience, exchange rates! (http://www.x-rates.com/d/CAD/table.html)

Also - Lonely Planet Hotel search! (Its no good without a city, I believe) (http://hotels.lonelyplanet.com/)

In other news:
Whee! Travel! ^.^

Felixaar
2008-09-09, 05:24 PM
Gemmy, a shorter list would be places UNDER $500 dollars a night - though out of curiosity, is that per room or in total, cause then it depends on how big your family is.

Now, with Two weeks in Australia you've got a few choices. You could see the real live out back in Alice Springs, NT, in which case you should definetley visit the Alice Springs Reptile Centre, also check out the usually ignored West MacDonald Ranges National Park. A good idea for accomodation is to rent out a cabin or two at the MacDonnell Range Caravan Park. Make sure you're there on a Sunday, theres a free all you can eat Pancake breakfast and it is damned good! Ofcourse you should only stay there if you can afford to rent a car, because it is two or three kilometres out of town. There's sure to be plenty of hotels in town, though I couldn't personally reccomend them. If you do rent a car though, make sure to get a four-wheel drive so that you can tackle rough roads, and head on down to Ayers Rock. It's quite a drive, about 700 Kilometres, but boy is it worth it! Alternately you could fly out to Ayers Rock. Theres a big resort/caravan park out there, though I don't know how you get from the resort to the rock without a car... I imagine there are many buses around. You can go on a walk around the rock that is either seven or eleven kilometre's, cant remember, or just gaze it, and ponder things. How did it get there? Is it secretly an alien space ship? Is it a government base? The plug of creation? Responsible for 9/11? Theres also Kings Canyon and The Olga's near by, though you will need a car to get to those (King's Canyon is a 5 kilometre walk and spectacular, the Olga's is what Ayers Rock will look like in a few hundred thousand years).

That's atleast a weeks worth of activities there, though you could stretch it out to two weeks if you wanted to.

Another great place to spend some time would be in Far North Queensland, a region that comprises such towns as Cairns and Cooktown. There is plenty to do around this area though only if you either have a car or like taking tours (and I would vote against the tours as they are usually packed full of annoying, lack of english speaking tourists). There a lot of pretty rainforest area nearby with various wildlife, though the towns around that area leave a little to be desired as they lack alot of facilities. I mean, they have the basics but are not necessarily anything special. Now if you wanna get really adventureous, there are several cool things you can do in Cairns, such as diving the great barrier reef - very, VERY pretty, or you could catch a tiptop tour to go up Cape York, and eventually reach the highest point in Australia, the tiptop ha ha ha. It's a pretty rough ride, with several river crossings and such, and you should definetley take a tour for this one. You can drive up on your own but it is a really bad idea.

That's also a bout a week's worth of things to do. Or....

If you desperately crave the hustle and bustle, you'll be happy to visit Sydney, NSW, the unofficial capital of Australia, and our most well known town, mainly because when I say 'I'm from Australia,' I get back 'Oh, Sydney?'. Despite that its a great city to visit, with a wonderful public transportation system - this is one place you WONT need a car, ladies and gentlemen - and you can see a lot landmarks, like the Opera House, or the Harbour Bridge. There's just generally a lot to do in Sydney and the cool thing is that if you just walk around your bound to find something cool to do, from shopping to museums to whatever.

If you like beaches, then there's a few good spots. Princeton, Victoria is a town made of a general store/post office and two houses, but nearby is a cheap camping ground, and if you follow a trail in that camping ground for about a kilometre you will reach the Best Beach in the World. No resorts nearby though, but there might be somewhere to stay in town, I don't know. There's also Cape Le Grande National Park, a few kilometres out of Esperance, WA. Cape Le Grande houses two fabulous beaches, Lucky Bay and one whose name I can't remember, however these are both camping spots so if you want to stay over night, you will need to bring a tent or caravan. Closer to Esperance is Twilight Cove, which is also a fantastic beach and a bit closer to hotels. The last in my list of beaches is Cable Beach in the town of Broome, WA, which is well known as a spectacular beach, and Broome is a pretty nice town as well. If you go, try and see if you can time your visit with the Staircase to the Moon, though you'll have to look up when that's happening. Also if you're in Broome make sure to go to the weekend markets and find the Donut stall. Best Donut's ever.

You could also check out Tasmania, our tiny little island-state - you can either fly there or catch a ferry from Melbourne, Victoria. Launceston is a great town to hang out in for a few days and the park nearby is pretty cool, Coles Bay is not far down either and houses some great beaches and a mountain range known as The Hazards, and the capital, Hobart, is a swingin' place to be as well.

If you like wildlife then there's really two options, you can either see them caged at Australia Zoo - the one formerly owned by Steve Irwin - in Beerwah, QLD, which is pretty amazing though it is EXPENSIVE and as I said, caged. There's also very little else to do in Beerwah and no airport so you would have to drive there from one of the nearby hubs, like Brisbane. It's a very small town, but there would be a few hotels. Alternatively you can see animals in their natural habitat and almost any of our wonderful natural parks, but the best one in my opinion is the Cape Range National Park near Exmouth, WA. This is one of the places that you will need a tent or caravan, but if you go out at dusk you can see Wallaby's hopin' around everywhere. Drive carefully though, cause it's easy to hit the little buggers. Oh, also, if you'd like to see some Crocs, go to Darwin, NT, where there are many tours. Also worth a visit is the nearby Katherine Gorge, where you can canoe or motorboat down the river and Crocs, while still present, are more inconspicuous. Also you can see some Dolphins in Monkey Mia, WA which is close to the aforementioned Exmouth. Make sure to book at the park WAY in advance, or you wont get accomodation.

Now, there are a few warnings about Australia. Yes, it's true that we have many species of venomous snakes and arachnids, but NO, it is not true that they are in large populations. You'd pretty much have to wander out into the desert and search hard all day to actually find any of the really dangerous ones - there are a few snakes and spiders of lesser poison around in common, but they are still very very unlikely to even meet you let alone cause you any harm. Probably the absolute worst you will have to deal with unless you seek 'em out is the Daddy Long Legs, and we all know that while they have some of the most toxic venom known to man, their fangs are too weak to pierce human skin.

The actual warnings are as follows - Box Jellyfish are common anywhere in the northern half of Australia (basically the Northern Territory, Queensland and nothern Western Australia) during the summer months (and keep in mind that our summer is your winter!) and on the cusp of the summer months. Obviously, they are only present in the water. Let me make this clear, however - If there is any chance that Box Jellyfish may be present, DO NOT GET IN THE WATER. Box Jellyfish stings are usually fatal within three minutes, and if non-fatal usually lead to a good six months in the Intensive Care Unit. I am NOT JOKING. Most towns with beaches affected by Box Jellyfish will provide luxurious pools nearby, so remember to ask in town if the Jellyfish are around yet - and get several opinions. In this same region (northern Australia) you have a decent chance of getting to know a crocodile, as well. This is just simple. In Northern Australia, Do not swim in any body of water unless MANY people are already swimming. And even then it could still be dangerous.

Now, many people, Aussie's included, don't know this, but you should never have an open flame near a Koala. It's pretty unlikely this would happen anyway, since Koala's are waaaaay up in trees and the only place your likely to see them is in a Nature Reserve or National Park - and they dont allow open flames - but since the Koala's diet is 100% Eucalyptus Leaves, which are mostly Eucalyptus Oil, they could, theoretically, explode. No, seriously.

I should also point out - and I hope no one will take this as Racism, as I have the utmost respect for Aboriginal Culture - that many towns in Northern Western Australia and the Northern Territory have large aboriginal populations, and that arguably due to bad handling of integration by the government, many Aboriginal people are homeless, broke, and taken to alcohol - the fact that the government gives them many handouts doesn't help this, but the point is that they can be dangerous people - ofcourse, that's not to say that other's cant be dangerous people as well, but, well, just be especially careful. I really wish I didn't have to say this. Be Careful.

Hmm, I think that's a bout it for warnings though...

Oh, wait... the worst of them all. Drop bears. I don't know if you've heard of them, but they are the most vile creature to plague Australia. Often mistaken for Koala's they hide high in the trees, dropping down and harrassing unsuspecting tourists. The only way to repell them is to cover your body in Vegemite every time you leave indoors.

Heh, okay, that last one was a joke, but the rest is Dead Serious.

Oh also, I don't know how big a size of town your used to in Canada, but Australian Towns and Cities are typically much much smaller than their international counterparts, for example our biggest city, Sydney, only encompasses three million people, whereas our smallest towns might be a Pub and a General Store, sometimes only in the one building. Theres also a LOT of wide open places (kinda like Northern Canada), so if you're looking for a haven of Metropolis, East Coast USA style, you won't find it here.

Hope this helps. Can't give much advice on New Zealand though.

Edit: Woah, big post. I should be a travel agent...

Gem Flower
2008-09-09, 05:29 PM
Yes, you should be. Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

Nychta
2008-09-09, 05:36 PM
Awesome!
BTW: Drop bears don't exist.
If you've never been to Kiwiland before, I'll expect you want to go see the sulphur pools and smelly stuff in Rotorua. Try stay at a place that doesn't smell like rotten eggs. When my family goes there, we rent a small bach. If I remember correctly, you can also go to the Luge and the Zorb thing in Rotorua. Sneak has a good avatar of the Zorb... or somthing like a Zorb. You get in a giant clear ball and roll down a hill. Sound fun? The luge is far better in my opinion. It's like... go-kart racing, but with awesome views.
Oh yeah, scenery. I'm sort of used to it by now, but you should try do some nature walks. The ones through the Waitakeres are good. Hmm... Bungy jumping is apparently fun, but I've never tried it. If you're in Auckland, try going to the Sky Tower, you can do all sorts of adventrous stuff like climbing up the outside then jumping off the top.

Make sure to ride some Moas, too.

Post may be updated later - I have to go now.

Felixaar
2008-09-09, 05:49 PM
Yes, you should be. Thanks.:smallbiggrin:

:smallsmile:Compliment!:smallsmile:

Hairb
2008-09-09, 09:09 PM
Now, many people, Aussie's included, don't know this, but you should never have an open flame near a Koala. It's pretty unlikely this would happen anyway, since Koala's are waaaaay up in trees and the only place your likely to see them is in a Nature Reserve or National Park - and they dont allow open flames - but since the Koala's diet is 100% Eucalyptus Leaves, which are mostly Eucalyptus Oil, they could, theoretically, explode. No, seriously.

Pinch of salt alert... huge pinch of salt. Like a fistfull.

Rei_Jin
2008-09-09, 09:49 PM
I'd heartily recommend coming to NSW, it's the most populated state in Australia, and has some very good attractions.

Come in to Sydney Airport, and stay in the city for your first two nights. See the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House, Taronga Zoo, and the Sydney Aquarium. There's plenty of shopping as well as museums and art galleries.

After that, hire a car and head to Jenolan Caves, on the other side of the Blue Mountains. Some of the most beautiful caves in the world are there, along with wonderful bushland and great people. You'll want to spend a day here, believe me.

Then, hop in the car and spend a night in Lithgow, the nearest major town. The next morning, drive out to Dubbo and go to Western Plains Zoo, one of the best open range zoos in the world, with a breeding program that others envy. You can also take a look at Old Dubbo Jail and see some of Australia's criminal past.

From here, you can jump in a plane and head in several different directions. There's the Great Barrier Reef off the Queensland coast, Ulura in the Northern Territory, swimming with dolphins in Western Australia, or the world heritage listed forests in Tasmania, not to mention Melbournes cafe culture and love of the arts.

New Zealand, well, as an Australian I'd say that they have sheep, but so do we. The snowing in New Zealand is awesome, as are the hot baths at Rotorua, the whitewater rafting and bungy jumping in Queenstown, and so on.

Griever
2008-09-09, 10:29 PM
Australia and New Zealand, why, when you word it like that it makes it sound like they're not the same place!

*flees from xNadia and the rest of the angry NZ's*

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-09, 11:44 PM
When going to Australia, visit Rawhide.
And a list of Playgrounders in Australia :

...= Queensland
.........= Brisbane - Yiel
.........= Brisbane - 416365416c
...= New South Wales
.........= Armidale - Serpentine
.........= Armidale - Goff
.........= Armidale - Conrad Poohs
.........= Candelo - Warshrike
.........= Sydney - Dhavaer
.........= Sydney - Ink
.........= Sydney - Fleeing Coward
.........= Sydney - JBakaka
...= Victoria
.........= Melbourne - Dispozition
.........= Melbourne - Altharis
.........= Melbourne - Lianae
...= Western Australia
.........= Perth - Sundog
.........= Perth - Quezovercoatl

When going to NZ, visit the LotR film scenes....Bloody amazing(just seen in pics and the movies)

loopy
2008-09-10, 12:29 AM
Thanks for leaving me out DD. :smallwink:

Gosford, NSW.

Nychta
2008-09-10, 12:36 AM
Australia and New Zealand, why, when you word it like that it makes it sound like they're not the same place!

*flees from xNadia and the rest of the angry NZ's*

Sir, you may want to prepare for an angry PM.

Gem Flower: I suspect you'll want to go skiing in Queenstown, too, if it's the right season for snow. I've never actually been there myself, due to Asian parents disliking the cold, but I've heard from my friends that it's scenic and wonderful.
Plus, you know, this is coming from local teens. We're the least likely to appreciate natural beauty that we grew up with, so the fact that they still rave about it should be an indication of how cool it is.

If you go to Wellington - well, I can't see why you'd want to. It's really just windy and boring. They do, however, have Te Papa, which is the national museum or something. It's not really impressive compared to the London museums that I visited recently, though.
This reminds me. Go visit a Maori village or marae or something.

Basically, for stuff to do, try not to stay inside, or go shopping, or whatever. New Zealand has two main attractions: The natural beauty and the awesomeness of the people. Go outside every day, every moment you can, and admire the scenery. Also, depending on where you're staying, you might be woken up by birdcall in the morning, which is, in my opinion, the best sound to hear in the morning.

Before I forget, you have to go try some L&P. It's Lemon and Paeroa, named after the town Paeroa. Best. Soft drink. Evar.

EDIT: After reading D-D's post: Yeah. You could go visit Matamata, which has been nicknamed "Hobbiton". We always stop there when we're heading down to Tauranga or Whakatane. Our favourite cafe is Workmans Cafe Bar (http://www.matamata-info.co.nz/workmans/).
On the subject of food, I'm told that NZ has the best coffee in the world. Just don't get it from Starbucks.

Dispozition
2008-09-10, 02:21 AM
I would say Melbourne is the most awesome city ever, but that's only really if you live there, for a holiday, it's only marginally good. Sydney is probably your best bet for touristy stuff...That and the Gold Coast.

Felixaar
2008-09-10, 02:24 AM
Thanks for leaving me out DD. :smallwink:

Gosford, NSW.

Me too. Though I'm not actually there now, if you visit before November I should be there anyway. Though I have several homes. Also, Gosford is a cool place, though the beach town nearby (cant remember name) is cooler. The Entrance is pretty sweet too. Cold Rock IcecreameriesWOO!

And Griever, it's not just New Zealander's who take offense at that. There are some Aussie's, too... like the one standing behind you with a baseball bat! Wham!

Heh. I got lost in the Blue Mountains once.

loopy
2008-09-10, 04:52 AM
Me too. Though I'm not actually there now, if you visit before November I should be there anyway. Though I have several homes. Also, Gosford is a cool place, though the beach town nearby (cant remember name) is cooler. The Entrance is pretty sweet too. Cold Rock IcecreameriesWOO!

And Griever, it's not just New Zealander's who take offense at that. There are some Aussie's, too... like the one standing behind you with a baseball bat! Wham!

Heh. I got lost in the Blue Mountains once.

Terrigal? Avoca maybe?

Terrigal has a Cold Rock Ice Creamery.

We have plenty of beach towns around here. Feel free to come to the Coast any time, its not like I'm going anywhere, haha. :smallbiggrin: