PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

AetherFox
2008-09-09, 06:19 PM
Can you use an epic usage of a skill when you are not epic level?
-Thanks

monty
2008-09-09, 06:21 PM
I don't see why not. But wouldn't this be better in the Simple Q&A thread?

black dragoon
2008-09-09, 06:23 PM
Not sure, We've always allowed it but we're not a really conventional group at times.
I see you have a Mew avatar pokemon fan by any chance? If so I suggest you check the D20 Pokemon thread in Homebrew.:smallbiggrin:

I'm sorry, I can't help but to shamelessly advertise my thread we need help bad...:smallfrown:

drengnikrafe
2008-09-09, 07:13 PM
Can you? Sure, why not? (I guess DM's discression)
It is likely? No.

It's really quite simple. The Epic Levels book's skill section was made to show you what you can do with very, very, very high level skills. The only reason they're not in the PHB is because they're incredibly unlikely.

Allene
2008-09-09, 07:20 PM
Can you? Sure, why not? (I guess DM's discression)
It is likely? No.

It's really quite simple. The Epic Levels book's skill section was made to show you what you can do with very, very, very high level skills. The only reason they're not in the PHB is because they're incredibly unlikely.

Well he wouldn't be asking if he hadn't optimized a character that can make a DC 100 Bluff check on a 1 now would he.

AetherFox
2008-09-09, 07:34 PM
Well, not really. I was actually looking at the epic skill uses for perform, in which it says you can use perform to increase someone's disposition. One of the DC's is only 15, not very high if you've maxed it out... Anyway, I saw no reason why not.

BlueWizard
2008-09-09, 10:08 PM
I'd say no. That's why it epic.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-10, 01:02 AM
I would think the "uses" are supposed to be limited by supposedly epic DCs rather than any intrinsic and arbitrary rule. (Recall, too, that skill checks have no automatic success on 20, so you don't have a 5% chance to walk on walls or whatever just because you decided to try.)

Superglucose
2008-09-10, 01:25 AM
Epic skills are done absolutely right in D&D in this poster's opinion: if you've got it you've got it. Can you make a DC 50 sense motive check? If so, you get to read surface thoughts (or is that the DC 100? I always forget) REGARDLESS of your level.

MCerberus
2008-09-10, 01:32 AM
For this specific example, I'd say no. This is simply diplomacy cheese using another skill. Otherwise, if you can make the DC, go ahead.