PDA

View Full Version : Help designing a conspiracy of wizards

BRC
2008-09-09, 07:26 PM
So, I'm currently running an investigation-based DnD game, setting is early industrial revolution and it mostly takes place in an urban setting.

So, the PC's are about to, for the first time, come face to face with the organization they are up against, a secret society of mages called The Circle of Enlightenment. So, I want them to have some (potentially brainwashed) Foot soliders for the PC's to fight, but I wanted something different than warriors or fighters. First of all, because this is a magical secret society, and secondly because abunch of guys with heavy armor and greatswords isn't secretive.

Currently I'm thinking Soulknifes, both because they can move around without visible weapons and armor, and because they keep with the magical theme (yeah, I know they are technically psionic, but they don't actually use psionic powers, and can easily be re-fluffed as arcane.) But I want to hear your ideas, or good things to do with these mooks.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-09, 07:32 PM
Warmages, Beguilers, Warforged, and Artificers. The Artificers should sound like non-combatant scientists in the description, until they start throwing buffs and burning loot. The Beguilers should be there only to cover the Wizards escape and confuse the party. The Warmages are the "obvious" guards, the ones who stand outside looking impressive and follow the Mages around town. The Warforged are interior guards of the regions that the public never sees and personal guards to the Wizards while they sleep.

Jimp
2008-09-09, 07:33 PM
Battle Sorcerors or Duskblades in lighter armor or Mage Armor could work too. The incarnum classes may be worth a look for more unusual mooks.

BRC
2008-09-09, 07:51 PM
Don't have accsess to the Eberron books, and though I thought about using warforged (which I can get access to) , this is supposed to be a secret society, and warforged currently don't exist in this setting. Warmages I don't have accsess too, I can get my hands on the PHBII, and while beguilers sound good, Duskblades run into the same problems as fighters concerning secretiveness. Battle sorcerers are a maybe although what I'm looking for here is people besides spellcasters for the PC's to take on. These mooks are the guys the spellcasters boss around. The organization will include plenty of wizards and sorcerers definitely, but I want some variation.
Besides, Wizards and Sorcerers are really only dangerous if they have some meatshields to keep the PC's off their backs while they cast spells.

NOTE: I'm not our usual DM, he's the one with most of the books. I can borrow any I like though, but I forget which ones he has.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-09, 07:54 PM
That's what Summoners are for. Refluff a Malconvoker. Then make the mooks something like AoO-monster Shifters with Warshaper levels.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-09, 07:56 PM
If you want secretive, I nominate Beguilers and Rogues equipped with UMD skill and magical doohickeys.

Rei_Jin
2008-09-09, 07:56 PM
You could use Monks and Hexblades. Both are fairly resistant to spells and have special abilities that would help them survive longer in the midst of a combat whilst their masters are lobbing spells around.

MammonAzrael
2008-09-09, 08:13 PM
Depending on their level, you might want to consider Brilliant Energy weapons.

You might also want to look at a 3.0 PrC for monks called the Ki Swordsman.

playswithfire
2008-09-09, 08:35 PM
How about very convincing humanoid effigies?

Hal
2008-09-09, 09:27 PM
How about Monk/Duskblade multiclass mooks? They can't flurry (unless these are HIGH level mooks), but they can arcane channel through a melee attack. That seems like it might fit the flavor.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-09, 10:34 PM
The first thing I'd consider is the Spellwarped template from MM3. Duskblade is good to use with this, since it would put their considerably higher Int score to good use. I'd make them use Spring Attack with Arcane Channeling, and be very quick to run if it looks like the fight is going poorly. Give every one of them a Healing Belt (MIC) if it's easily within their loot/gear, and make them quick to use it efficiently. These opponents wouldn't be as dangerous as most, but they would be difficult to fight and ultimately kill, especially if they retreat out into crowded streets and split up.

mabriss lethe
2008-09-09, 10:37 PM
soulknives would be pretty good at what you're looking for. heck, you could incorporate Elans as a "more enlightened breed" of humans that the society has been using experimental magic to create.

Binders could be nasty, but I don't think they're quite the right flavor for what you're looking for.

Spellthieves! They would make for an excellent choice. IMHO.

random11
2008-09-10, 01:01 AM
The best things about secret societies, is that ANYONE can be a part of the conspiracy.
A guy with a sword isn't secretive, but there is nothing suspicious about him if people assume he is just another city guard or soldier.
So you can use practically any class you can think of as long as it fits the surrounding.

If you insist that the group of wizards will use brainwash and other evil methods, you can always add a magical drug that acts as a poison unless the target takes another dose.
Such a way can be used to show their bad side, explain why unwilling people also play along, let the organization use magic, and you can also add any special ability you want as a side effect of the potion (making the foot soldiers harder to defeat).

If some of the foot soldiers are forced to help the organization, or unknowingly following a leader who is a member in that group, it will also add a nice twist, forcing good characters to make hard moral choices.

SCPRedMage
2008-09-10, 01:29 AM
Huh.

I guess a wizard DID do it... :smallamused:

BobVosh
2008-09-10, 01:50 AM
I vote monk/enlightened fist.

Basically a soul knife +1.

Vonriel
2008-09-10, 02:34 AM
You said secretive, right? Why not give the wizards the full backing of a thieve's guild? I mean, hell, it wouldn't take much for the wizards to dominate/charm/whatever the leader, give him many magical buffs to ensure he stays at the top, then let the thieves take care of the day to day. On top of this, it helps to explain money going missing, smuggling operations, kidnappings, and other things that such a guild would normally get up to.

Of course, it might be too late to incorporate this, but this is my $.02.

Weiser_Cain
2008-09-10, 02:47 AM
Make the weapons junk that's been enchanted to form a magic blade with a whispered word. The word should be hard to hear and be a clue. On death the sword reverts to a mundane stick or whatever.

Blackfang108
2008-09-10, 10:19 AM
...I can get my hands on the PHBII, and while beguilers sound good, Duskblades run into the same problems as fighters concerning secretiveness. ...

Not if you make them a Duskblade/Rogue either just basic multiclass or a low level Gesthalt. they can wear leather armor, carry knives or other small-ish weapons.
Just because duskblades CAN wear medium armor doesn't mean they have to.
Or, pair up each Duskblade/Warmage/nonstealth with a Beguiler. the Beguiler would normally help them go unnoticed when travelling.

Look at Dragon Shaman while you're in there, too. You might find something that'll fit your purposes.

playswithfire
2008-09-10, 11:20 AM
Make the weapons junk that's been enchanted to form a magic blade with a whispered word. The word should be hard to hear and be a clue. On death the sword reverts to a mundane stick or whatever.

Or have them fight with actual junk.

Ex-Monk 2/Bard 4/Drunken Master X's with Ascetic Mage

Fear their drunken singing and enchanted barstools!

Of course, they can be subtle when necessary; what PC is going to pay attention to the drunken bum sitting in the street? Or give more than a passing thought to the one who follows him for a block asking for some money?

Yakk
2008-09-10, 12:53 PM
If it is anything flashy or weird, you run into the problem of someone seeing the guards guard, and it reporting back to the authorities, and causing problems.

Even people who run away, or defeat, a unit of guards shouldn't have evidence that "something really weird is going on"...

That's practically. But really, this isn't about practicality, is it?

A warrior-caste of monk-wizards sounds much more fun. :) www.errantstory.com has an example.

Mastikator
2008-09-10, 01:17 PM
All you need is:

Veil, Dominate Person, potentially Disguise Self.
One high level wizard and a bunch of heavily armored fighters with greatswords.

:P

Johel
2008-09-10, 01:51 PM
From the SRD only, you can build some forces. (I like the thieve guild idea, by the way) :

Rogues seem good for me.
They are usefull for spying activities and for subtle enforcement.
They can use magical objects, scrolls and so.
They are poor choice for defence but again, stealth is the main defence of a secret society.

Sorcerers are a good choice for the magical theme.
Just imagine children who've been used as guinea pig by the wizards and serve now as living artillery. Most of them have been brainwashed, maybe the most powerfull have been magically dominated. If the PC are "Good", they won't attack children without thinking twice about it.

Assassins are the must. They are a really good mix between Rogue and Warrior, with spells.

Golems are a good choice too to guard the inside of the buildings. Brainless guardians with nearly undying loyalty and they are really though.

BRC
2008-09-10, 03:52 PM
This particular conspiracy has influence in any number of theives and assassins guilds, and so can handle that side of things indirectly, but yes, they will use rogues and assassins against our dear PC's.

I think I'll go for a mixture of Monks, Duskblades, Soulknives, and sorcerers. (IDEA, the organization has some way to artificially awaken or induce sorcerous powers in somebody. Probably ends in painful death/insanity for most people it's tried on, but meh.) Most of the leaders will be Wizards and Clerics (Maybe I'll use Archivists instead of Clerics due to the way religion works in this setting).

GolemsVoice
2008-09-10, 06:36 PM
You could trry to use constructs disguised as normal statues. Sure, it's a bit old, but if the PCs get somewhere they shouldn't be, or touch something they shouldn't touch, the statues on the walls will begin to animate and try to crush every trespasser, than revert back to their normal forms. Either constructs, which may be easier to spot, or(earth) elementals bound into architecture.

Golems and every kind of construct is a good choice for a secret society. They are loyal to the end, don't question, and don't say a word about what you're up to. Send to kill the PCs (maybe as part of an elaborate trap as outlined above), they are totally anonymous, and you needn't worry about your spies and assasins telling on you after having been captured and interrogated.

I think there was a monster in the MM III, called Shadesteel Golem:

Shadesteel Golems (from Wikipedia)

Crafted from metal mined and forged entirely on the Plane of Shadow, these silent and powerful guardians are sometimes created by necromancers and powerful undead. They are very stealthy creatures which float about.

Thus, unlike other constructs, they are effective silent killers.

Weiser_Cain
2008-09-10, 08:43 PM
Another fun trick I used is having conspirators in different classes that don't normally interact getting all weird and chummy when they think no one's looking.

Yakk
2008-09-10, 09:16 PM
If there are no warforged in your world, using them as the shock troopers of your wizard conspiracy could be neat.

Just stick an illusion on them.

Weiser_Cain
2008-09-10, 09:21 PM
Gnomes?!? I'll handle this....

Lochar
2008-09-10, 09:40 PM
You could trry to use constructs disguised as normal statues. Sure, it's a bit old, but if the PCs get somewhere they shouldn't be, or touch something they shouldn't touch, the statues on the walls will begin to animate and try to crush every trespasser, than revert back to their normal forms. Either constructs, which may be easier to spot, or(earth) elementals bound into architecture.

Golems and every kind of construct is a good choice for a secret society. They are loyal to the end, don't question, and don't say a word about what you're up to. Send to kill the PCs (maybe as part of an elaborate trap as outlined above), they are totally anonymous, and you needn't worry about your spies and assasins telling on you after having been captured and interrogated.

I think there was a monster in the MM III, called Shadesteel Golem:

Shadesteel Golems (from Wikipedia)

Crafted from metal mined and forged entirely on the Plane of Shadow, these silent and powerful guardians are sometimes created by necromancers and powerful undead. They are very stealthy creatures which float about.

Thus, unlike other constructs, they are effective silent killers.

Another point about golems that is fun, is turn the room into a self-resetting trap of whatever spell and/or element that heals it. Every round, the golem is repaired/fully healed.

The trap is set off by the golem moving off of it's standard position.