PDA

View Full Version : The Dungeon Ramuk

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 01:30 AM
In my setting, Dungeons are giant machines built by the Ancients to collect up chaotic magic and impose order upon it. The magic collects up pieces of dreams and fantasies to take shape as the chimeric monsters that populate the dungeons. Daring warriors called adventurers journey into the Dungeons to kill monsters and collect these remains. The remains can be disenchanted to produce a valuable magical substance called Marrow.

Long ago, the city of Nikinam controlled a Dungeon called Ramuk, but this Dungeon was lost to an invading army from the north. The party must journey up shore to reclaim the Dungeon.

PART 1:

Outside

After fighting past the goblin mercenaries on the beach, the party reaches the Dungeon to find the enemy outpost outside.
Since the tide is in, the whole place is ankle-deep in water. The enemy buildings are built on stilts and connected by wooden bridges. Enemy soldiers fire arrows from the windows.

Places of interest:

The Barracks
After killing all the enemies in the camp, the party can get a good nights rest here. Watch out; goblins hide under the beds!

The Infirmary
You can find health potions here.
Watch out for the zombie thats chained up here for research.

The Armory
You can find various weapons, shields, and armors here with a variety of elemental resistances.
Weapon racks can be knocked down on top of enemies.

The Mess Hall
Goblins jump out of the barrels and throw fish at you.

The Main Building
The officer will attempt to blow up this building to prevent you from getting the classified documents. Watch out!

INSIDE the DUNGEON, PART 1

Room 1

Now that you have entered the dungeon, you will find yourself in a flooded room where bloated zombies float on the surface of the water and hidden enemies are concealed beneath.

Things to notice:
Treasure chests floating in the water (one of them contains a golden goblin statue.)
A gate on one wall that allows water from the ocean to flow in.
A series of platforms leads you to a switch that shuts the gate.
A door on the far wall that can't be opened from the outside.

You must perform a skill challenge to jump across the platforms. (3 athletics checks and 3 acrobatics checks, alternating. If you fail two checks in a row you fall in the water.)
When you shut the gate, the water drains through big holes in the floor covered in grating. This also reveals strange crab monsters that can pick up the zombies with telekinesis and throw them at you.

When you remove the grating from the holes, you will find ladders that lead you down into the room below.

Room 2

You climb down into this room from the room above.
Watch out for the killer molusks that live in here. You can survive them with the rusted armor in here. It's in poor shape, but it seems to still have some magical properties.

When you look up, you see a ledge up high with a door. It looks like there used to be a ladder leading up to it but that ladder is gone now.
You can swim up there if you can raise the water level. If somebody reopens the gate in the room above, this room will flood.
When you get up to the door, you can simply rattle it open and take the stairs up to room 3.

Room 3

Remember that door in the first room that couldn't be opened from the outside? You can open it from this side.
You find yourself in a well-furnished but derelict room with a lamp, some chairs, a toilet, and a desk. If you inspect the drawers, you will find a bag of holding containing some other useful items. You will also find a key that allows you to open that previous door from the outside.

There is another door that leads you to the next room.

Room 4

This room is actually a bridge leading through a massive tunnel with murky water rapidly flowing far below. You can make out the vague shapes of unspeakable things swimming down there.

Suddenly, something launches out of the water and awkwardly flaps up to the bridge. It's a young white dragon, but something is wrong with its roar, and something is wrong with its eyes.

When the dragon is bloodied, its head falls off and its torso splits open to reveal the horrible tentacled parasites that have taken over its body. The stats remain the same, but the dragon gains a tentacle attack and its frost breath is replaced with a poison attack.

When you defeat the creature and collect up its remains into the bag of holding (to make Marrow from it), you will reach the other side of the bridge where you will find a door guarded by two statues; one of a human and one of an orc.
A successful history check will reveal that these two statues represent the two brothers Rafaj (the human swordmage) and Ludba (the orcish paladin), two heroes of Nikinam and former keepers of Ramuk.
Each brother had a key to open the door that is before you (their swords). You need to find their keys in order to open this door and progress to the second part of the dungeon.

Rafaj and Ludba

Even though Ludba was adopted, his brother Rafaj loved him just the same and the two went on many adventures together.
When their ally, the nation of Kire, was attacked by the orcish army of Yarg, Rafaj and Ludba set off without hesitation to save their friends. What Ludba didn't know was that Yarg was his birthplace.
Rafaj was killed in battle at the hands of Krod, Ludba's biological father and king of Yarg. Ludba was almost drawn to the orcish side, but the death of his adopted brother sent him into a violent rage and caused him to slay his entire biological family and single-handedly drive off the orcish invaders.
To repay his debt, the king of Kire abdicated his throne and made Ludba the new king of Kire. The current king of Kire is Ludba's great-grandson, the half-orc Rafaj IV.
The orcs of Yarg have been kept at bay since their defeat, only sending small skirmishes once and a while that are promptly driven back.
As the orcs of Yarg retreated from battle during that war long ago, they managed to snatch the body of Rafaj and take it back to their castle where they stuck it on a pole. The armies of Kire have not yet managed to get the remains back.

King Rafaj IV will make a deal with you; if you can reclaim the remains of Rafaj and return them to Kire for proper burial, he will give you both swords.
That, however, is a different dungeon crawl...

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-10, 01:46 AM
This sounds interresting so far. It's for 4th Edition D&D, right?

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 01:47 AM
Yes. The first part of the dungeon is for a level 1 party with four people.
(Tiefling Wizard, Aasimar Paladin, Dwarven Cleric, and Doppleganger Rogue)

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-10, 01:51 AM
Are you going for more of a horror feel or a surrealism feel to the dungeon? I'm guessing you could use both, but I'm curious due to the dragon sounding more horror-based while the idea behind the dungeon is more surreal.

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 01:55 AM
Definately both with a bit of comedy thrown in here and there.
At lower levels I want to have a Flumph town where players can buy items looted from dead adventurers.
I also want to have players come across the graffiti of the legendary barbarian Saiko at some point. He's one of the few barbarians who could read and write, and what does the man write about? How does this proud warrior leave his mark on history? With poems of prostitutes and feces.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-10, 01:58 AM
Is Saiko a character you used in an older edition? Putting references to characters like that in the dungeon would be amusing. Have Flumps officially been converted to the 4th Edition?

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 02:12 AM
Flumphs haven't been officially converted, but I'm making my own versions except that mine will have healing powers.

Saiko is in fact a character I played in a previous campaign. I only played him once though, but after that he became part of the groups lore and we ended up making all sorts of crazy legends about him.

One of my ideas for this dungeon is that Saiko's equipment is actually scattered throughout the dungeon. The rusted armor in that one room is actually the legendary Armor of Saiko. When all of Saiko's armor is collected, his ghost can be summoned into the armor to open a certain door for you. You have to fight him first though because Saiko always has to fight everybody. One time, Saiko fought one million chickens. One time, five elder dragons were performing some kind of ritual, so Saiko, not knowing what was going on, decided to attack all five dragons at the same time. Sometimes Saiko just likes to go up and punch people. Saiko was one of those characters that everybody plays at least once, but my group liked him so we kept making up stories about him long after his death.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-10, 02:16 AM
I'm guessing the dragons killed him, right? What was his alignment? I've never created a character like that (I tend to play as good-aligned half-animals), but he sounds amusing.

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 02:41 AM
Saiko was the best alignment: Chaotic Neutral.
It's great because you can be a good guy when you want, but then you're kind of unpredictable.

Saiko did die, but not from the dragons but from the ensuing blast that resulted from the interrupted ritual that tore a portal open to the inferno. One of the dragons died and the rest were crippled and maimed. The dragons cursed Saiko so that his ghost would wander the earth and his own children would become the beasts that he hunted his whole life. What the dragons didn't count on was that Saiko had children in every town he went to... so all of a sudden the monster population was doubled. Also, the interrupted ritual caused demons to come into the world... the very demons that the dragons were trying to keep out. That is how Saiko caused doomsday.

Saiko did redeem himself however.
When Saiko was raised from the dead, he hijacked the party's airship and used it to retrieve a city in the bottle and the portal that was used to enter the city in the bottle. Saiko got the cleric to bless all the water within the city in the bottle, making an entire ocean of holy water. Saiko flew the airship through the portal into the inferno, and quickly threw the blessed city in a bottle into it's own portal creating an infinite loop in which an infinite number of blessed cities in a bottle were created. As the airship crashed into the palace of the demon king, the bottles were shattered releasing an infinite flood of holy water into the inferno. Saiko died for good then, along with an infinite number of innocent people living inside the infinite bottle cities...

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-10, 02:46 AM
That plan sounded complicated (did he think of it IC? :smalltongue:). Would using homebrew 4th Edition race updates help as well in regards to surprising the PCs?

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 02:59 AM
Saiko had an incredibly high intelligence for a barbarian... but his wisdom was in the gutter. The guy was an idiot savant pretty much; a genius in some respects but borderline retarded in others.

As for the home-brew updates, I'm sure it would. If players can simply flip through the monster manual and figure out exactly what they are up against, it kind of kills the tension. When I do horror, I like to make up nameless things that the players can't predict. Sometimes I purposefully don't describe my monsters, but leave them as shadows gnawing hungrily in the dark.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-10, 03:17 AM
That would work for horror. Seeming spells (and other illusions) would work as well (eg: making a load of Gnolls appear as Phanatons while having rocks which are disguised as Ogres telekenetically moving towards the party would be really unnerving, assuming the Seeming spell lasted until after the Gnolls were dead).

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 03:45 AM
That might be a good idea for the next part of the dungeon after the players get the two keys from Kire and pass the door with the two statues.
I was about to ask if anybody had any suggestions for that.

So far the only idea I had for part 2 was that the door to part 3 would actually be a sarcophagus where the deceased warrior Roijun is interred. Roijun was entombed with four golden goblin statues as attendants. Somehow or another, the golden goblins wandered off so you have to recollect them and put them back in their proper place to get past the door.
The golden goblins are useful while you have them since each one can be used to summon a goblin cohort.

I also wanted to have another Saiko item hidden somewhere.