PDA

View Full Version : World/Dimension-Jumping system

luffy316
2008-09-10, 06:03 AM
I've been tinkering with a homebrew system that will mainly compose of the party jumping from one world to the next, robbing and exploring as they go. Think Kingdom Hearts, but less gay undertones and no Disney limitation.

I'm looking for ideas, mostly worlds for them to visit and noteworthy weapons or powers to pick up. These include original ones and existing ones, such as a world where the Nazis took over, the Mario Bros world, a world where organic things are forbidden or hated, and Star Wars. Feel free to get crazy with the ideas too, because Sesame Street is probably on their list of worlds to hit.

A few main ideas I'm really liking...

-a force of multiverse police who will track them down if they're in one world for too long. Recurring badguys since they don't like people screwing with time and space as they inevitably will
-a world between the worlds, ala End of Time in Chrono Trigger or Twilight Town in KH. It's not an actual world, just a kind of crack between them for other world jumpers to trade, hide out, and work out new jumping tricks
-a largely skill-based system rather than classes and levels. give the players a handful of skills to start with, probably based on their backstory and world they choose to be from, and then let them develop skills with weapons and powers they pick up the more they use them.

chronoplasm
2008-09-10, 06:22 AM
I'd keep it focused. Pick out some general rules and follow some set patterns so things don't get too messy.

Some ideas:

A world of 'thirds' (everything comes in a set of three. Three moons, three races of elves. Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Maiden, mother, and crone. etc.)
A world of 'fourths' (everything comes in a set of four. Earth, wind, water fire. North, south, east, west. etc.)
A world of 'fifths' (everything comes in a set of five. Five senses, etc.)

sigurd
2008-09-10, 06:28 AM
A planar illness or alternate self that is delayed in its world jumping. After a random amount of time they know it will find them.

Use TV shows as the inspiration for different settings esp if you're doing modern gaming. Don't tell the players "you arrive at the magnum PI planet - but when you use the cohesive elements of setting as inspiration. Doctor Who could keep you gaming for many many sessions.

Some sort of charging time for the travel device.

Mix up dangerous and pleasure elements.

Like that.

Hairb
2008-09-10, 06:43 AM
I've been tinkering with a homebrew system that will mainly compose of the party jumping from one world to the next, robbing and exploring as they go. Think Kingdom Hearts, but less gay undertones and no Disney limitation.

I'm looking for ideas, mostly worlds for them to visit and noteworthy weapons or powers to pick up. These include original ones and existing ones, such as a world where the Nazis took over, the Mario Bros world, a world where organic things are forbidden or hated, and Star Wars. Feel free to get crazy with the ideas too, because Sesame Street is probably on their list of worlds to hit.

A few main ideas I'm really liking...

-a force of multiverse police who will track them down if they're in one world for too long. Recurring badguys since they don't like people screwing with time and space as they inevitably will
-a world between the worlds, ala End of Time in Chrono Trigger or Twilight Town in KH. It's not an actual world, just a kind of crack between them for other world jumpers to trade, hide out, and work out new jumping tricks
-a largely skill-based system rather than classes and levels. give the players a handful of skills to start with, probably based on their backstory and world they choose to be from, and then let them develop skills with weapons and powers they pick up the more they use them.

A world where the phrase gay undertones is used in conjunction with Naked Lunch but not Kingdom Hearts...

In all seriousness, though, try a world on the very brink of being totally unsurvivable, its inhabitants clinging onto some semblance of life by the skin of their teeth. The players showing up should generate some interesting conflict faster than you can say "interdimensional refugee crisis."