PDA

View Full Version : Resurrection of the Uratha Project

Primal Fury
2008-09-10, 10:16 AM
Some of you may remember a while back that I made an attempt at converting Werewolf the Forsaken to d20. It did not go as well as I had planned. I would like to take another stab at that. I think it will go a little better since this time, I have access to War Against the Pure; this will make creating apex abilities SO much easier. Once again, I will start with the Irraka, but before I do, I want to iron out a few wrinkles in the concept. My idea for the Gifts is simply to use soulmelds rather than a whole new set of stuff, though you are free to create your own soulmelds if the others don't work for you. Obviously, they would only have access to the Totemists list, natural world and all that. And rather than simply "getting" the soulmelds, I believe it would be better to hunt and consume the creature that the gift is derived from. And I still need to redo shapechaning, it still doesn't feel right, and neither does Step Sideways. I think they may need to get it earlier.

Ah well, still got a lot of work to do. And for those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, the link to the first version of the Irraka is in my sig.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

DracoDei
2008-09-10, 10:44 AM
I don't suppose that the were-world or "Slightly more Pratchettian Theranthropes" threads would have anything to offer you?

Zeta Kai
2008-09-10, 12:06 PM
Yes, the thread themes for this month are non-D20 homebrew game systems & lycanthropes. Last month was DIY campaign settings, prestige classes, & new 4E races. Did you get the memo? :smallwink:

Hairb
2008-09-10, 12:49 PM
Yes, the thread themes for this month are non-D20 homebrew game systems & lycanthropes. Last month was DIY campaign settings, prestige classes, & new 4E races. Did you get the memo? :smallwink:

Stay tuned for next month's edition of Homebrew Gaming Theatre, when the sheer torrent of LHC-themed homebrew will make you wish the world had been instantly destroyed.:smallwink:

OP: A feature I've noticed about the Exalted and WoD lines is how intrinsically linked the ruleset is to specifics of the setting. My inner journalist is curious to know where the line is drawn between WoD-inflected D20 and a system that is WoD in all but name. What's your vision for the end result of all this?

Zeta Kai
2008-09-12, 06:37 PM
Stay tuned for next month's edition of Homebrew Gaming Theatre, when the sheer torrent of LHC-themed homebrew will make you wish the world had been instantly destroyed.:smallwink:

LHC? blah, blah...

arguskos
2008-09-12, 06:39 PM
The Large Hadron Collider, the one that when it was turned on, it was speculated that it might obliterate the world. :smallsigh:

-argus

Zeta Kai
2008-09-12, 10:25 PM
The Large Hadron Collider, the one that when it was turned on, it was speculated that it might obliterate the world. :smallsigh:

Oh, that thing. That speculation was pure hokum, conjured from nothing but baseless fear-mongering & blatant aversion of math. But, I'm now inspired to create some Hadronic Construct. :smallbiggrin:

arguskos
2008-09-12, 10:28 PM
I believe this (http://www.starslip.com/) is relevant.

Also, I'll stop derailing this now. :smallamused:

-argus

Zeta Kai
2008-09-12, 10:45 PM
Also, I'll stop derailing this now. :smallamused:

I'll stop derailing this thread when the OP comes back & re-rails it. :smallwink:

arguskos
2008-09-12, 10:53 PM
I'll stop derailing this thread when the OP comes back & re-rails it. :smallwink:
You have an excellent point, sir. Conceded. Also, more derailing! :smallbiggrin:

-argus

Zeta Kai
2008-09-14, 12:39 AM
You have an excellent point, sir. Conceded. Also, more derailing! :smallbiggrin:

Yay! We're railing against thread rails!

Primal Fury
2008-09-14, 01:09 PM
Dang. Forgot all about this thing for a minute. Um... I guess I'll start by posting my new rules for the Gifts.

Gifts: A gift is a soulmeld that is given from a spirit repsentaion of a creature from the Astral Plane to an Uratha. Of course this is not a free service, usually the entity will want some sort of payment. Another (possibly more dangerous) way to obtain a gift is to hunt down the physical representation of the creature and consume it. This has a chance of driving the creatures spirit insane and forcing it to attack the Uratha. Should he win, and consume the spirit as well, the gift is his; should he lose, the gift is lost to him, and he must find a new creature.

This is just a rough drat of how I want it to work. I still need to word it right and come up with a percentage for the madness. This also makes certain soulmelds off-limits for a time. A 1st level Irraka couldn't have a soulmeld linked to the Tarrasque(sp?), unless he actually did something for its spiritual representaion. Also, I need to come up with a couple new templates for spirits, and I hope the astral plane will do for the Shadow, I'm not sure how I'd make an entirely new Plane of existance.

Ah well. Tell me what y'all think.

DracoDei
2008-09-14, 02:53 PM
I might be a Werewolf version behind with this, but if the Shadow is the new name for the Umbra, then the Ethereal fits better for the near Umbra... Astral might qualify as the Far Umbra or whatever it is called.

Primal Fury
2008-09-14, 08:11 PM
/facepalm. Of course! I always get the etheral plane and the astral plane confused. Thanks Draco.