PDA

View Full Version : The Mercurial Avenger [3.5, PRC, "Sacred Sonic Boom!"]

Xallace
2008-09-10, 06:25 PM
Any and all comments are appreciated! Criticism included!

*Clears Throat*

Not all who are called to the path of a paladin ride from horseback in heavy armor. Some prefer a much freer style, one that takes their great agility into account. These are the mercurial avengers.
Mercurial avengers are few and far between, paladins that have prayed to their god and studied for hours on end to master their style. They cannot form alliances, rare as they are, but are sometimes found within orders with other paladins. However, most mercurial avengers travel the world alone, fighting evil without a church or order to back them up. And most of them like it that way.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Feats: Improved Initiative, Mobility
Special: Divine Grace Class Feature; Smite Evil class feature

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level| BAB| Fort| Ref| Will| Special
1 |+1 |+0 |+2 |+0 |Paladin Training, Riot of Light 1/day, Unearthly Evasion
2 |+2 |+0 |+3 |+0 |Divine Speed +10, Divine Incite
3 |+3 |+1 |+3 |+1 |Versatile Spring
4 |+4 |+1 |+4 |+1 |Divine Incite, Riot of Light 2/day
5 |+5 |+1 |+4 |+1 |Divine Intervention, Godspeed 1/day
6 |+6 |+2 |+5 |+2 |Divine Incite, Divine Speed +10
7 |+7 |+2 |+5 |+2 |Riot of Light 3/day
8 |+8 |+2 |+6 |+2 |Divine Incite, Tireless Riot
9 |+9 |+3 |+6 |+3 |Godspeed 2/day, Divine Speed +10
10 |+10 |+3 |+7 |+3 |Maelstrom of Light, Divine Incite
[/table]
Class Skills (2 + Int per level): Climb (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Jump (Str), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Paladin Training (Su): Mercurial avenger levels stack with other classes that grant the Smite Evil class feature for the purpose of determining damage and uses per day, and with classes that grant the Aura of Good ability for the purposes of aura strength.

Unearthly Evasion (Su): At 1st level, the mercurial avenger adds his Charisma modifier as a miscellaneous bonus to his AC as long as he is wearing light or no armor. This bonus is lost in any situation in which the mercurial avenger would lose his Dex modifier to AC. The maximum AC bonus from this ability is equal to the mercurial avenger’s class level.

Riot of Light (Su): As a swift action, a mercurial avenger may sacrifice a Smite Evil to instead activate a riot of light. A riot lasts for a number of rounds equal to the mercurial avenger’s class level + his Charisma modifier, and can be used once per encounter.
During the riot, holy energies begin to flow around and through the mercurial avenger’s weapon, granting him a sacred bonus on attack and damage rolls equal to the mercurial avenger’s Charisma modifier.
During this state, the mercurial avenger also becomes exceptionally fast, granting a +3 miscellaneous bonus on Reflex saves, as well as a +10 foot miscellaneous bonus to the mercurial avenger’s base land speed.
At the end of the duration, the mercurial avenger becomes fatigued for the remainder of the encounter.

Divine Speed (Su): At 2nd level, the mercurial avenger gains the blessing of divine speed. He gains a +10 Sacred bonus to his base land speed at 2nd level. This bonus improves by an additional +10 feet (to +20 and +30 respectively) at 6th and 9th levels. This bonus remains as long as the mercurial avenger is wearing light or no armor.

Divine Incite: At 2nd level, and every even level thereafter, the mercurial avenger gains an extra boon when inciting a Riot of Light. Pick one ability from the list below at each level you gain this ability. These abilities can only be used during a Riot of Light.
Divine Cyclone (Su): You move with such speed that you can attack multiple opponents at once. Make a single attack roll with a melee weapon as a full-round action, and compare the result to the AC of all opponents within a radius of (5 x class level) feet. Any creature who would be hit by your attack takes damage as normal.
Divine Whirlwind (Su): Your divine gift has advanced to the point where you seem to be everywhere at once. When you move, this ability simulates the effect of a Mirror Image spell (caster level equal to your class level) for one round.
Echoes of the Divine (Su): You can move so quickly, it takes opponents a moment to register that you've gone. When taking the Run or Charge action, your after-image remains in your original space for one round. This image otherwise acts as a Silent Image spell, although it requires no concentration.
Sonic Boom (Su): When you take the charge action, all creatures adjacent to you at the beginning of your action take 1d6 points of damage, +2 points per class level. Half this damage is sonic damage, while the other half is pure divine damage.
Stunning Strike (Ex): Your incredible speed can knock opponents senseless. Anytime you move more than forty feet before attacking (be it regular movement, or a charge attack), opponents that you strike before your next turn must make a Fortitude (DC10 + class level + Dex modifier) or be stunned for 1d3 rounds.
Unanticipated Strike (Ex): You can move so quickly that you catch opponents off-guard. Anytime you make a charge attack, the target of your attack is considered to be flat-footed against the attack. You may use this ability once per encounter per target.
Uncatchable (Ex): Only the most skilled of opponents can anticipate your speed. You no longer provoke attacks of opportunity for leaving threatened squares, unless the creature that threatens those squares has a base attack bonus equal to your character level +4.

Versatile Spring (Ex): At 3rd level, you gain the Spring Attack feat. When you use the Spring Attack feat, you may instead take any action you could usually take as a Standard action, rather than just an attack.

Divine Intervention (Ex): A paladin by any other name is still a paladin. At 5th level and above, you may activate this ability as an immediate action at any time an ally is struck by a targeted effect (including a regular attack). You may move up to your base land speed to reach your ally's square. Once there, you and the target move up to as many squares as you have remaining in your movement, if any, at which point you and the ally end adjacent to each other. If this movement would take the ally out of the effects area, or move them from the target square, the ally does not suffer the effects of the attack. Otherwise, the ally is affected normally.
This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It may be used once per encounter.

Godspeed (Su): As of 5th level, the mercurial avenger is blessed with great luck. The mercurial avenger may re-roll any one d20 roll once per day.
At 9th level, the mercurial avenger may use this ability twice per day.

Tireless Riot (Ex): As of 8th level, the mercurial avenger is no longer fatigued after ending a riot of light.

Maelstrom of Light (Su): At 10th level, the mercurial avenger has mastered his divine speed, improving his Riot of Light class feature. His bonus on reflex saves becomes +6, and he now gains a +20 bonus to his base land speed.
Additionally, the mercurial avenger may make two attacks per weapon he wields, at his highest base attack bonus, with a single standard action or charge.

AstralFire
2008-09-10, 06:44 PM
It's pretty cool, but I'm actually concerned about it being too -weak-. Riot of Light is nifty, but not terribly useful.

Maelstrom of Light's pounce effect is great, but up until then, this class (which should be mobility focused) really doesn't have a strong incentive to charge all over the place. Something like an auto-smite every time you charge X feet might help.

I love speedsters and I love Paladins, so improvements to this class would be cool. Some abilities to ignore terrain and/or fly at a high speed but basically no maneuverability, maybe?

Xallace
2008-09-10, 08:40 PM
It's pretty cool,
Thanks!

but I'm actually concerned about it being too -weak-.
Fudge.

Riot of Light is nifty, but not terribly useful.

Maelstrom of Light's pounce effect is great, but up until then, this class (which should be mobility focused) really doesn't have a strong incentive to charge all over the place. Something like an auto-smite every time you charge X feet might help.

Well, it's really not a charge-themed class. The "Pounce" effect is actually a little better than your regular pounce, since you don't have to charge at all (although I suppose that +2 to hit would help).

I'd consider Riot of Light something of an Auto-Smite effect, personally, especially considering how high Pallies like to boost that Charisma. Although a Smite effect is certainly an idea worthy of more thought.

I love speedsters and I love Paladins, so improvements to this class would be cool. Some abilities to ignore terrain and/or fly at a high speed but basically no maneuverability, maybe?

This class is old, I need to look it over a bit (That's something I'll add to post 1, actually). One ability I considered was something similar to the Dervish's "Dance of Death" ability, where you can dash through ranks of enemies while cutting each one you pass to tiny ribbons; but I didn't want to copy the dervish exactly. Another idea that came to mind was that by the end, you're so fast you essentially turned into a bolt of holy energy; but that seemed a little cheesy.

AstralFire
2008-09-10, 08:48 PM
Huh, I somehow missed the Cha to +Atk/Dmg line, that changes things a bit!

But that causes a different issue. The problem with making it based solely on Charisma is you run into the all or nothing effect where people start making builds based ENTIRELY on Charisma or have a bit of it and it doesn't really help enough to be justified. SAD is, IMO, a bad design philosophy - just one that is less so than MAD. I like to try to shoot for 2 prime ability scores. I'd lessen the Charisma-based effects overall (make the speed more steady, for example.)

Xallace
2008-09-10, 08:57 PM
Huh, I somehow missed the Cha to +Atk/Dmg line, that changes things a bit!

Indeed!

But that causes a different issue. The problem with making it based solely on Charisma is you run into the all or nothing effect where people start making builds based ENTIRELY on Charisma or have a bit of it and it doesn't really help enough to be justified. SAD is, IMO, a bad design philosophy - just one that is less so than MAD. I like to try to shoot for 2 prime ability scores. I'd lessen the Charisma-based effects overall (make the speed more steady, for example.)

A good point. Unfortunately, I think if I were to pick another ability score to toss into the mix, we'd essentially end up with the same amount of MAD as a Paladin; which, as I recall, is at least four different scores (Str, Con, Wis, Cha). And in actuality, I think it's still that much. All I really did was replace the Wis need with a Dex need to qualify for the feats.

I'll take a look into the Divine Speed issue you mentioned, and see what I can do with the rest of the Charisma-based abilities. Actually... I think that's it. Divine Speed, Unearthly Evasion, and Riot/Maelstrom of Light are the only Cha-based abilities. And I don't think there's any point in changing the last two, do you?

AstralFire
2008-09-10, 09:05 PM
Indeed!

A good point. Unfortunately, I think if I were to pick another ability score to toss into the mix, we'd essentially end up with the same amount of MAD as a Paladin; which, as I recall, is at least four different scores (Str, Con, Wis, Cha). And in actuality, I think it's still that much. All I really did was replace the Wis need with a Dex need to qualify for the feats.

I'll take a look into the Divine Speed issue you mentioned, and see what I can do with the rest of the Charisma-based abilities. Actually... I think that's it. Divine Speed, Unearthly Evasion, and Riot/Maelstrom of Light are the only Cha-based abilities. And I don't think there's any point in changing the last two, do you?

Everyone needs Con, and it's not as much of an issue for these dudes since they zip around. Cutting Wis out of the picture helped a lot, though I'd take Dex back out of the picture on feats if possible, and add a Class AC bonus. Dex should be a bonus, but not necessary, and that's the issue with the monk's design - too much is necessary.

Some sort of Stunning-not-suck-Fist (hint: make it applicable to everyone) would be cool.

Xallace
2008-09-10, 09:14 PM
Everyone needs Con, and it's not as much of an issue for these dudes since they zip around. Cutting Wis out of the picture helped a lot, though I'd take Dex back out of the picture if possible.

I'm considering taking Dex back out, but I like having Dodge as a prereq... decisions, decisions...

Some sort of Stunning-not-suck-Fist (hint: make it applicable to everyone) would be cool.

It would, but I don't really see that fitting into the "speed" theme.
Hm.

Out of curiosity, how would you go about making a "Speedster Holy Warrior?" What would you (or anyone else, if they care to post) want to see that would give you visions of awe?

AstralFire
2008-09-10, 09:25 PM
Out of curiosity, how would you go about making a "Speedster Holy Warrior?" What would you (or anyone else, if they care to post) want to see that would give you visions of awe?

Use up turning attempts instead of smites.

Prereq of Divine Grace, Run feat, and Power Attack.

Riot lasts one round.

Gain in a Riot:
- Flight speed of 60 ft clumsy
- Fly-by Attack feat
- +Cha to Attack/Damage

Improved Riot:
- 20% miss chance if you move at least 30 feet in the daylight
- Greater Fly-by Attack/Pounce
- Recipient of your successful smite attack when you move at least 30 feet must make a DC 10+½Char Level+Cha Fortitude saving throw or become stunned for one round.

Lorien077
2008-09-10, 11:01 PM
I like the flavor: the high speed pally sort appeals to me.
My only current nags are a couple of typos: you need to replace "smite evil" in your level one specials with "paladin training", and your specials need to be listed in order of level received. (You have one the character gets at 8th level before one the character gets at 6th level. either that or a typo)

Xallace
2008-09-10, 11:04 PM
Use up turning attempts instead of smites.

Prereq of Divine Grace, Run feat, and Power Attack.

Riot lasts one round.

Gain in a Riot:
- Flight speed of 60 ft clumsy
- Fly-by Attack feat
- +Cha to Attack/Damage

Improved Riot:
- 20% miss chance if you move at least 30 feet in the daylight
- Greater Fly-by Attack/Pounce
- Recipient of your successful smite attack when you move at least 30 feet must make a DC 10+½Char Level+Cha Fortitude saving throw or become stunned for one round.

Well, good sir, it appears we have differing opinions. I'm afraid I simply can't agree with the flying.

But I do agree this could use some more change. Ideas off the top of my head:

Divine Whirlwind (Su): (Flavor text about being really fast, only usable while in a Riot/Maelstrom of Light) Make a single attack roll with a melee weapon, and compare the result to the AC of all opponents within a radius of (5 x class level) feet. Any creature who would be hit by your attack takes damage as normal.

Echoes of the Divine (Su): (More flavor text about being really fast), When taking the Run action, your after-image remains in your original space for one round. This image acts as a Silent Image spell.

Why don't I have acrobatic charge? I should have thought of that already. As well as the ability to turn in a charge/run.

The "20% miss" idea of yours, I like. However, I feel we can do a little more than "when you move." What about the opposite? When you don't move? Like, if you take the Total Defense action, you're essentially un-hittable (75%-95%)? Fighting defensively for 20%-50% miss chance?

Xallace
2008-09-10, 11:05 PM
I like the flavor: the high speed pally sort appeals to me.

Thanks!

My only current nags are a couple of typos: you need to replace "smite evil" in your level one specials with "paladin training", and your specials need to be listed in order of level received. (You have one the character gets at 8th level before one the character gets at 6th level. either that or a typo)

...You're right. I'll go fix that.

AstralFire
2008-09-11, 07:02 AM
Well, good sir, it appears we have differing opinions. I'm afraid I simply can't agree with the flying.

But I do agree this could use some more change. Ideas off the top of my head:

Divine Whirlwind (Su): (Flavor text about being really fast, only usable while in a Riot/Maelstrom of Light) Make a single attack roll with a melee weapon, and compare the result to the AC of all opponents within a radius of (5 x class level) feet. Any creature who would be hit by your attack takes damage as normal.

Echoes of the Divine (Su): (More flavor text about being really fast), When taking the Run action, your after-image remains in your original space for one round. This image acts as a Silent Image spell.

Why don't I have acrobatic charge? I should have thought of that already. As well as the ability to turn in a charge/run.

The "20% miss" idea of yours, I like. However, I feel we can do a little more than "when you move." What about the opposite? When you don't move? Like, if you take the Total Defense action, you're essentially un-hittable (75%-95%)? Fighting defensively for 20%-50% miss chance?

Staying in one place just feels like it should be anathema to the class. Could you maybe write like, a short paragraph describing a fight involving a member of this class? Don't worry if you don't feel you are a good descriptive writer; the point is just so I can better understand the concept in your brain, not the concept as I am translating it in my head.

Echoes of the Divine though? Really cool. Maybe applicable when you charge, too?

Xallace
2008-09-11, 07:10 PM
Staying in one place just feels like it should be anathema to the class. Could you maybe write like, a short paragraph describing a fight involving a member of this class? Don't worry if you don't feel you are a good descriptive writer; the point is just so I can better understand the concept in your brain, not the concept as I am translating it in my head.

I'm having a weird amount of trouble with that, actually. Writer's block, I guess. If an idea of how to describe it just so comes to mind, I'll be sure to post it. I'll try a regular ol' explanation for now.

Divine Whirlwind, with the flavor, would describe that you're so fast you can essentially be everywhere at once. While the mechanics come down to an area attack, what you're really doing is speeding between enemies at near lightspeed.

As for the Miss Chance while moving less: It's like, have you ever played dodgeball? It's hard to hit a moving target, that's true. But when the target stands at the ready, anticipating the ball, it can be even harder to hit them, because they can actively dodge the attack. Now imagine that second target was the Flash. Do you see what I mean?

I mean, obviously if the first target was the Flash, you would be having a lot of trouble hitting him anyway, but at least you could anticipate where his momentum is taking him.

Echoes of the Divine though? Really cool. Maybe applicable when you charge, too?

Thanks! And I don't see why not.

AstralFire
2008-09-11, 07:27 PM
Okay, see, I've been visualizing someone that's moving like a thunderbolt, like Sonic the Hedgehog 24/7. Like an aura of light surrounding him as he moved to make it harder to see 'im. You want someone who is generally fast all around. No momentum control issues, a little bit slower, but very quick.

Personally, I think a non-mounted charger would be a bigger splash; the full attacker is how most of D&D operates, and successful skirmishers and battlefield movers are rare outside of a Swordsage or Swift Hunter.

Xallace
2008-09-13, 03:27 PM
Okay, see, I've been visualizing someone that's moving like a thunderbolt, like Sonic the Hedgehog 24/7. Like an aura of light surrounding him as he moved to make it harder to see 'im. You want someone who is generally fast all around. No momentum control issues, a little bit slower, but very quick.

I think the problem is that I like both ideas of speed, but I only have 10 levels to work with. Unless I wanted to make this a Paladin variant, rather than a Prestige Class...

Of course, on the other side of that, I could simply extend the class up to 14 levels or so. I mean, if you're a Paladin, you're going to be committed to what you do anyway, may as well make it so that they can commit the whole way to epic levels.

Personally, I think a non-mounted charger would be a bigger splash; the full attacker is how most of D&D operates, and successful skirmishers and battlefield movers are rare outside of a Swordsage or Swift Hunter.

As of 10th level in this class, we have a full-attacking skirmisher (Dragons beware). But I think I know what you mean. Let's keep working this out, I think we can come up with something even cooler.

I wonder why only two different people have posted? Is it really that not-interesting?

Bitzeralisis
2008-09-13, 05:42 PM
I wonder why only two different people have posted? Is it really that not-interesting?

No. I just suck at criticizing classes. :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2008-09-13, 07:34 PM
I didn't have any thoughts on balance, and actually only got around to reading this all the way through recently. Your plea for more response got me thinking though, and I have a few thoughts.

You would have to be VERY desperate to ever use Smite when it would cost you a use of Riot of Light. Also I would consider whether you want it to stack for the purposes of the Special Mount. If you don't then eventually it isn't going to have the hp to have any staying power in combat, which might be a cost you want taking the class to have. OTOH, giving the mount speed bonuses instead of STR bonuses, and limited DEX bonuses instead of Natural Armor could be an interesting take on it... for NPC paladins it helps them arrive "in the nick of time" multiple times during the course of a large engagement, or ride through the night to get their in time (of course above a certain level they should have access to teleportation one way or another)...

A feat to let one of these guys (1/day?) sudden jump in front of a blow (or blast of magic or whatever) that would kill an ally within his speed (including free activation of Riot of Light) or twice his speed would be an interesting thought... MIGHT even want to make room for it as a class feature... just seems the stereotypical paladin thing to do. Would be a reaction to a blow hitting an ally and redirect the damage/effect to the Paladin.

Bandededed
2008-09-13, 09:46 PM
I really like this class - despite it not having a power where it yells "sonic boom!" and shoots a ray of yellow light at something :smalltongue:

Here's what I would do differently:
Take out the dodge and mobility prereqs, and remove the spring attack bonus feat - dodge and mob. suck and spring attack is a trap. A TRAP I TELL YOU!

Rather, I would have either a dex prereq or a base ref. save prereq. Then, at level 2, I would grant them an ability like spring attack, but not.
Canto
If a Mercurial Avenger moves less than his full speed and preforms some other action that disallows him from moving again on his turn (except another move), he may move the rest of his speed that he did not move previously after that actions completion.

^: which could probably be worded better, but I'm a little tired. It's better than the feat, and you can use it in conjunction with your full attack action you gain during your 10th level riot.

I would also allow the full attack for the whole thing - honestly. You're number of attacks scale anyway, so why wait so long?

Other than that, I'm really happy. If I were to use this class, it would be with at least 2 levels of monk, 2 levels of paladin (req), and something else to get the BAB req. With a 36 point buy, I'm looking at 16 cha and wis, 14 dex, 12 str and 10 con. Base AC of 18 with some crazy high saves, and god-like speed? Hehehehehehehe.

Xallace
2008-09-15, 08:34 PM
I didn't have any thoughts on balance, and actually only got around to reading this all the way through recently. Your plea for more response got me thinking though, and I have a few thoughts.

Go for it.
And sorry everybody for not responding timely. 11-hour work-shifts take a lot out of me.

You would have to be VERY desperate to ever use Smite when it would cost you a use of Riot of Light.

It is quite a boost, isn't it?

Also I would consider whether you want it to stack for the purposes of the Special Mount. If you don't then eventually it isn't going to have the hp to have any staying power in combat, which might be a cost you want taking the class to have.

Partly, yes. The idea behind the class was getting away from the "Tank" feeling of the Paladin class, which really meant removing a couple of its signature class features. Mount being one of those.

OTOH, giving the mount speed bonuses instead of STR bonuses, and limited DEX bonuses instead of Natural Armor could be an interesting take on it... for NPC paladins it helps them arrive "in the nick of time" multiple times during the course of a large engagement, or ride through the night to get their in time (of course above a certain level they should have access to teleportation one way or another)...

An intriguing idea certainly. Kind-of a variant on Elan's "Dashing Swordsman?"
Thank you for the idea, I'm going to ponder that... but for a different class. I don't think it fits the theme of this one.

A feat to let one of these guys (1/day?) sudden jump in front of a blow (or blast of magic or whatever) that would kill an ally within his speed (including free activation of Riot of Light) or twice his speed would be an interesting thought... MIGHT even want to make room for it as a class feature... just seems the stereotypical paladin thing to do. Would be a reaction to a blow hitting an ally and redirect the damage/effect to the Paladin.

I like that a lot, actually. I think I'll have to tweak the idea a little, pound out some details... jumping in front of the blow seems your "typical paladin" thing to do. These guys, I think, would pick up their ally and move them to another location.

I really like this class - despite it not having a power where it yells "sonic boom!" and shoots a ray of yellow light at something

Thanks! Well, that statement does give me an idea...

Here's what I would do differently:
Take out the dodge and mobility prereqs, and remove the spring attack bonus feat - dodge and mob. suck and spring attack is a trap. A TRAP I TELL YOU!

OH SNAP! So people keep telling. I have to admit though, It's going to take some very persuasive conversation to get me to change those prereqs. It's not that I think it would be a bad idea to remove them, I just really feel it's appropriate for the class... plus I find them pretty useful, personally.

Rather, I would have either a dex prereq or a base ref. save prereq. Then, at level 2, I would grant them an ability like spring attack, but not.
Canto
If a Mercurial Avenger moves less than his full speed and preforms some other action that disallows him from moving again on his turn (except another move), he may move the rest of his speed that he did not move previously after that actions completion."

^: which could probably be worded better, but I'm a little tired. It's better than the feat, and you can use it in conjunction with your full attack action you gain during your 10th level riot.

Base Reflex, maybe. I'd rather avoid out-right ability score prereqs. It's just a preference of mine.

Canto? I don't know that word. However, being able to use a standard action with Spring attack rather than simply an attack is a neat idea. I thank you for it.

I would also allow the full attack for the whole thing - honestly. You're number of attacks scale anyway, so why wait so long?

I felt it needed a good capstone ability, and I felt that was a good capstone ability. We'd need to figure out an equally impressive Level-10 power if I were to change it.

Other than that, I'm really happy. If I were to use this class, it would be with at least 2 levels of monk, 2 levels of paladin (req), and something else to get the BAB req. With a 36 point buy, I'm looking at 16 cha and wis, 14 dex, 12 str and 10 con. Base AC of 18 with some crazy high saves, and god-like speed? Hehehehehehehe.

Glad you enjoy it!

SilentNight
2008-09-15, 09:42 PM
Very nice job, I love this class. While I do agree that dodge and mobility suck gigantic eggs, they do fit the flavor. You might give them an ability that negates attacks of oppritunity for moving which would make it less of a trap.

Xallace
2008-09-16, 08:37 AM
Alright, so here's a compiled list of ideas for more power!

Unanticipated Strike (Ex): (AKA AstralFire's Stunning-Not-So-Suck-Fist) Your incredible speed can knock opponents senseless. Anytime you move more than forty feet before attacking (be it regular movement, or a charge attack), opponents that you strike before your next turn must make a Fortitude (DC10 + class level + Dex modifier) or be stunned for 1d3 rounds.

-Alternate Unanticipated Strike (Ex): You can move so quickly that you catch opponents off-guard. Anytime you make a charge attack, the target of your attack is considered to be flat-footed against the attack. You may use this ability once per encounter per target.

Divine Whirlwind (Su): Your divine gift has advanced to the point where it seems that you are everywhere at once. Make a single attack roll with a melee weapon, and compare the result to the AC of all opponents within a radius of (5 x class level) feet. Any creature who would be hit by your attack takes damage as normal.

-Alternate Divine Whirlwind (Su): Your divine gift has advanced to the point where you seem to be everywhere at once. When you move while under the effects of a Riot of Light, this ability simulates the effect of a Mirror Image spell (caster level equal to your class level) for one round.

Echoes of the Divine (Su): You can move so quickly, it takes opponents a moment to register that you've gone. When taking the Run or Charge action, your after-image remains in your original space for one round. This image acts as a Silent Image spell.

Divine Intervention (Ex): (AKA a variant on DracoDei's idea) A paladin by any other name is still a paladin. Any time an ally is struck by a targeted effect (including a regular attack), you may activate this ability as an immediate action. You may move up to your base land speed to reach your ally's square. Once there, you and the target move up to as many squares as you have remaining in your movement, if any, and which point you and the ally end adjacent to each other. If this movement would take the ally out of the effects area, or move them from the target square, the ally does not suffer the effects of the attack. Otherwise, the ally is affected normally.
This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It may be used once per encounter.

Versatile Spring (Ex): (AKA Bandededed's Canto) When you use the Spring Attack feat, you may instead take any action you could usually take as a Standard action, rather than just an attack.

Uncatchable (Ex): (AKA SilentNight's "Making SA suck smaller eggs") Only the most skilled of opponents can anticipate your speed. You no longer provoke attacks of opportunity for leaving threatened squares, unless the creature that threatens those squares has a base attack bonus equal to your character level +4.

Sonic Boom (Su): When you take the charge action, all creatures adjacent to you at the beginning of your action take 1d6 points of damage. Half this damage is sonic damage, while the other half is pure divine damage.

Person_Man
2008-09-16, 09:45 AM
Unearthly Evasion (Su):[/B] At 1st level, the mercurial avenger adds his Charisma modifier as a miscellaneous bonus to his AC as long as he is wearing light or no armor. This bonus is lost in any situation in which the mercurial avenger would lose his Dex modifier to AC. The maximum AC bonus from this ability is equal to the mercurial avenger’s class level.

This should be a Dodge bonus. Dodge bonuses stack with other Dodge bonuses, but are lost when you are denied your Dex bonus.

Riot of Light (Su):

This seems overly complex, and it doesn't really add anything to your game options, it just gives you a variety of bonuses. I'd drop it and add something else.

Spring Attack: At 2nd level, the mercurial avenger gains Spring Attack as a bonus feat. Spring Attack is a trap. You can only make 1 attack per round. But mid levels, you should be making 2-4 attacks per round.

SilentNight
2008-09-16, 11:23 PM
Can divine intervention function for a regular attack? Or maybe just if it would reduce the character to negative hit points. Either way it rocks.

Xallace
2008-09-17, 04:42 AM
Can divine intervention function for a regular attack? Or maybe just if it would reduce the character to negative hit points. Either way it rocks.

Well I would consider a regular attack a "targeted effect," though I suppose it could do to be said outright.

AstralFire
2008-09-17, 05:22 AM
Been busy as all get-out so I can't really comment much (commute time in 10 mins), but lookin' good, man.

Xallace
2008-09-17, 12:26 PM
This should be a Dodge bonus. Dodge bonuses stack with other Dodge bonuses, but are lost when you are denied your Dex bonus.

It would make sense as a Dodge bonus, indeed. I think misc. also works, though. I'll consider.

This seems overly complex, and it doesn't really add anything to your game options, it just gives you a variety of bonuses. I'd drop it and add something else.

Not a big fan of the Barbarian's Rage ability, then?

Spring Attack is a trap. You can only make 1 attack per round. But mid levels, you should be making 2-4 attacks per round.

Third time this topic, I'm starting to think it's true! Don't worry, we've been working on making Spring Attack better.

Been busy as all get-out so I can't really comment much (commute time in 10 mins), but lookin' good, man.

No problem, and thanks!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-09-19, 08:58 AM
Been looking over this, and I'm beginning to think it might work better as a base class rather than a PrC...not certain though. It would definitely give you more space to fit in those abilities...

Overall, nice job. More comments may be coming after classes...

SilentNight
2008-09-19, 06:16 PM
I like it much better as a PrC but you do need to work in some of those new abilities. Namely Divine intervention, that rocks.

Bandededed
2008-09-20, 11:49 AM
OH SNAP! So people keep telling. I have to admit though, It's going to take some very persuasive conversation to get me to change those prereqs. It's not that I think it would be a bad idea to remove them, I just really feel it's appropriate for the class... plus I find them pretty useful, personally.

You have? I've never found the extra bonus from dodge to be valuable, myself. Mobility is decent if you're going to be running around a lot, but dodge, not so much. Perhaps you can add an ability that gives it that dodge bonus to all enemies, as a Mercurial Avenger is far faster than most people.

Base Reflex, maybe. I'd rather avoid out-right ability score prereqs. It's just a preference of mine.

I actually agree with the ability score, I was just throwing it out there.

Canto? I don't know that word. However, being able to use a standard action with Spring attack rather than simply an attack is a neat idea. I thank you for it.

I don't know the word either, I just stole if from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn :smallbiggrin:. The ability calvery (sp?) get is of the same name and variety.

I felt it needed a good capstone ability, and I felt that was a good capstone ability. We'd need to figure out an equally impressive Level-10 power if I were to change it.

Perhaps it should build up to it then? Level 4 = 2 attacks, level 8 = 3 attacks, level 10 = full attack?

Xallace
2008-09-20, 12:26 PM
You have? I've never found the extra bonus from dodge to be valuable, myself. Mobility is decent if you're going to be running around a lot, but dodge, not so much. Perhaps you can add an ability that gives it that dodge bonus to all enemies, as a Mercurial Avenger is far faster than most people.

Mobility primarily just because I rarely play characters that have Tumble as a class skill.

Dodge becomes permanent +1 Dodge bonus? Dodge still only affects one creature, but the bonus increases over time? Dodge can be changed "on the fly" as an immediate action?

Just stuff off of the top of my head.

Perhaps it should build up to it then? Level 4 = 2 attacks, level 8 = 3 attacks, level 10 = full attack?

I thought of that, but it really just seemed unnecessary. You may as well just let them full-attack from the start and wait for their BaB to get iterative attacks.

Now that I think about it, I'd rather have a flurry-of-blows kinda deal going, but without the .../+10/+5.

So maybe the last ability is that you can make up to three attacks on a charge at your full BAB?

Thanks for the feedback though, this is really helping.

AstralFire
2008-09-20, 03:43 PM
A Canto is a song, I thought that that was a Bard ability from Path of Radiance.

Bandededed
2008-09-20, 11:52 PM
A Canto is a song, I thought that that was a Bard ability from Path of Radiance.

It is, but in Radiant Dawn they changed it to a skill that calvary units have. It grants them their "move again" ability that they've always had. The songs are now called Glaidr, or something similar.

I'd say something more about the class, but I'm so tired. Tomorrow I should be able to think a little better.

Xallace
2008-09-26, 08:50 AM

I was thinking it sounded it musical.

Work's been eating up my week, which is why I haven't been on. I'll see if I can get a new level progression up shortly.

AstralFire
2008-09-26, 09:24 AM
I eagerly await it. Rare is the PrC I'm as interested in seeing completed as my own. (Why yes, I am an egomaniac.)

Xallace
2008-09-26, 10:26 AM
Alright, now in the first post is a rough idea of the new version. It's still a 10-level prestige class, same prereqs. Still needs work. I'm looking into ways to make the dodge feat more attractive.

AstralFire
2008-09-26, 11:30 AM
'kay.

Divine Speed: I still don't like keying this to Charisma since it has a reasonable, easy to hit cap and Cha's going to be going up anyway.

Divine Cyclone: What action is used to initiate this ability? I'd say full-round.

Divine Whirlwind: Make it so it can only be activated once an encounter and needs a swift action, or as often as you want for a move action (one or the other). It activating automatically when you move is a bit much.

Sonic Boom is pretty weak and needs to scale or just be given to everyone/as part of another ability.

Xallace
2008-09-26, 11:46 AM
'kay.

Divine Speed: I still don't like keying this to Charisma since it has a reasonable, easy to hit cap and Cha's going to be going up anyway.

I somehow forgot about that. I need to look over more than one post.

Divine Cyclone: What action is used to initiate this ability? I'd say full-round.

As would I.

Divine Whirlwind: Make it so it can only be activated once an encounter and needs a swift action, or as often as you want for a move action (one or the other). It activating automatically when you move is a bit much.

True.

Sonic Boom is pretty weak and needs to scale or just be given to everyone/as part of another ability.

Definitely considered.

I'll need to go back over everything when I get back from work. Darn work.

EDIT: Made some quick changes.

SilentNight
2008-09-27, 10:17 AM
Perhaps you could give some abilities while spring-attacking that built off sonic boom to kill two birds with one stone. Could you please include divine intervention in the final product though?

Xallace
2008-09-28, 08:14 AM
Perhaps you could give some abilities while spring-attacking that built off sonic boom to kill two birds with one stone. Could you please include divine intervention in the final product though?

I planned on it. Didn't you see it in the class progression?

SilentNight
2008-09-28, 09:46 AM
I planned on it. Didn't you see it in the class progression?

Whoops, heh, didn't see the update, my bad. :smallredface: Nice job.

EDIT: I would also suggest a limit on using divine intervention for normal attacks. Perhaps only allowing it when the attack would reduce the target to negative hit points. Otherwise an avenger could zoom his allies out of every danger, forcing the enemy to target him. While the opponent tries to keep up with the avenger, his allies tear it to shreds.

Xallace
2008-09-28, 06:24 PM
Whoops, heh, didn't see the update, my bad. :smallredface: Nice job.

EDIT: I would also suggest a limit on using divine intervention for normal attacks. Perhaps only allowing it when the attack would reduce the target to negative hit points. Otherwise an avenger could zoom his allies out of every danger, forcing the enemy to target him. While the opponent tries to keep up with the avenger, his allies tear it to shreds.

At the moment it can be used only once per encounter.

AstralFire
2008-09-28, 06:31 PM
Divine Whirlwind still worries me in its current state. Mirror Image is a pretty awesome spell to get going a lot.

Xallace
2008-10-03, 01:34 PM
Divine Whirlwind still worries me in its current state. Mirror Image is a pretty awesome spell to get going a lot.

What if I change it to "...move greater than X feet in a round?"
Where "X" is a pretty high number.

AstralFire
2008-10-03, 01:38 PM
What if I change it to "...move greater than X feet in a round?"
Where "X" is a pretty high number.

Maybe. Some input from other people'd be nice too.

ocato
2008-10-03, 01:43 PM
Quick question, this may have already been asked (running out the door and I didn't want to forget to ask later): Why is everything Charisma based except the stun attack? Honestly you might as well make that Charisma based as well.

Xallace
2008-10-03, 02:18 PM
Quick question, this may have already been asked (running out the door and I didn't want to forget to ask later): Why is everything Charisma based except the stun attack? Honestly you might as well make that Charisma based as well.

The Stunning Attack was suggested by AstralFire, and since he is also the one who suggested I steer away from Single Ability Dependency, I felt it was appropriate. I may change some other DCs and such to Dex.

ocato
2008-10-03, 02:25 PM
If the character is already mostly a paladin, why is some Single Attribute dependency a bad thing? Paladins have enough MAD as it is, and this class lets them add CHA to their AC in light armor, letting dex remain somewhat lax. If anything I'd say that was one of the big draws to it.

Xallace
2008-10-03, 08:46 PM
If the character is already mostly a paladin, why is some Single Attribute dependency a bad thing? Paladins have enough MAD as it is, and this class lets them add CHA to their AC in light armor, letting dex remain somewhat lax. If anything I'd say that was one of the big draws to it.

Heh, I believe AstralFire and I had a debate about this earlier in the thread. This class isn't finished; it's in its... Gamma phase? I'm still toying around with how exactly I want it to work. But no matter which way it gets taken, Charisma is obviously going to play a huge role.