PDA

View Full Version : 1001 Unconventional RP techniques

fireinthedust
2008-09-10, 10:01 PM
So I'm working on ways to break ground in RP, for a WoD game I'm hoping to run.

I want more rp than rolling, so I'm trying to list ways to shake people up and get them away from things that... well, get in the way. Also I want to add things that will enhance the experience. It will not be Larp, it will be traditional gaming.

Feel free to add to the list.

1) before the game, have everyone do an improve game to warm up: every one stands with backs facing in, eyes closed. The group counts to 20, everyone saying a number one after the other. If two people say the same number at the same time, we start over. The point is to build group communication.

2) No table, except a small one the Storyteller or GM rolls dice on when needed. Everyone sits around a circle of couches; all snacks are to the side or behind the couches, or on the floor by their feet. Sheets are in their laps.

3) The room is darker than normal, with enough light that players can see each other and their sheets.

4) Check the weather and schedule the game night during a thunder storm.

Hal
2008-09-10, 10:04 PM
Have an NPC address the players separately. The players can be in different groups or on their own. Have the players not being addressed leave the room.

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 10:25 PM
6) When players split up, actually split them up. Group A goes in one room, group B goes in another, and you go back and forth between them. Yeah, its troublesome, but it hightens the game experience for the players...

7) When a player finds a tome or spellbook or journal, take them into another room where no one else can hear ya'll. Then explain to him everything he reads/finds out/learns/whatever. Its then up to him to decide what he shares with the players... Again, troublesome and common knowledge, but it makes the game a lot better.

8) Get the players to work up a good backstory. Perhaps have one or two of them be acquiantences or friends. This adds a lot more to game experience, especially character interaction.

9) Playing on the floor can be fun, since everyone can stretch out and chill. Just toss a few pillows on the ground, grabs some hardcover books to use as backing for char sheets and notes, and then just relax. Put a few bowls of MnMs and/or chips in the center of the floor if they want snacks... which they will.

10) Mess with them. Guilt tripping adds a lot of fun to the game. Your guys want to kill that bandit? Okay... Let them. Later on, when they meet a young farmer's wife, have her beg them to find her husband, who ran off to be a bandit just so they could have food to eat. Make them realize that there's more to the world than what they first see. Another example: One of my players once robbed a store by pulling a bow on the old man working there. He laughed that it actually worked... But he stopped laughing when I explained that the old man had a heart attack and dropped dead right on the spot. His plan for easy items and gold ended up with him becoming a wanted fugitive...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-10, 10:25 PM
11) Get nametags for everyone, and write their character name on it, and have them wear it the whole session. It encourages calling people by their character name; it also works better the less well everyone knows each other.

12) When the characters first meet up, have each describe what they look like to the others

13) Start the game with a "get to know your fellow characters" session; have them meet in a tavern/bar/club/whatever and chat with each other for 10 minutes (real time) before the NPC shows up. Provide food/drink/music/lighting to approximate the locale, if possible.

14) Before the characters "sleep" for a night to recover willpower (or whatever they're calling it these days), say that each player must have an IC conversation with a fellow PC or NPC that allows them to exhibit some facet of their character. It won't take much time, and it'll get the players thinking about their characters' motivations some more.

15) Throw a pie every time someone speaks OOC :smalltongue:

revolver kobold
2008-09-10, 10:40 PM
16) Have everyone make at least some effort to dress in character. Not talking full blown costumes and uniforms, but if the player's character is a businessman, have them rock up in a shirt and tie, rather than flannelet and ripped jeans.

Not that unconventional, but would work well when combined with the name-tags and "get to know each other" points listed earlier.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-10, 10:44 PM
17) A simpler corollary to 16 is to have every person bring an object that will be iconic for their character. This is not a model of their character (though that might be neat) but something they think is tied to their character's personality - weapons are common, but it could be something like a funky cane, shades, a hat, or even a snowglobe.

Whatever it is, have them bring it every time, and make sure it is prominently displayed while the game is in session. Helping the other players remember who everyone else's character is almost always helps their own RP.

Lycan 01
2008-09-10, 10:55 PM
18) Get a few small props, and place them in the center of the group. Everybody picks one. You then explain to them what that prop does for their character. Examples: A pocket knife increases their characters blade-related skills by a few points. An energy bar increases their characters stamina slightly. A box of band-aids can be traded to reduce damage from an injury to a certain extent.

19) Have everyone, or whoever's the most talented, draw a picture of their character(s). Then staple the picture to the back of the related character's sheet. Its really cool when you've got a good picture of everyone's character to go by. (Its also cool to edit the pics and add scars and stuff as the game progresses...)

Superglucose
2008-09-10, 11:45 PM
1) before the game, have everyone do an improve game to warm up: every one stands with backs facing in, eyes closed. The group counts to 20, everyone saying a number one after the other. If two people say the same number at the same time, we start over. The point is to build group communication.

That's not a bad idea at all, except we've a guy in our group who'd intentionally screw it up.

fireinthedust
2008-09-11, 12:27 AM
Okay, so how would you get him to loosen up? How would you include him in this? The point is not to reach 20, but to get the group motivated and interacting; communicating and working together.

What's a game you could play with that gamer in mind, to have a similar effect?

20) play a word game, with word associations; but get the players (don't say gamers) to say what their character would say.

21) pass the clap: you clap "at" one of the players around the circle. They have to "catch" it, and "clap" it to someone else. Do this as an opener to the session, before getting into character.

22) blindfold all players except the ST.

23) Leave the windows open so it's cold, if the characters are playing a session where they've gone "camping"

24) pre-write messages on cue cards for players when they get special information. Put them in envelopes (marked so you know which one they are and who to give it to), preferable white, red or black. Give out when needed.

Any idea how to keep the players together? Like, not split the party up?

revolver kobold
2008-09-11, 12:45 AM
If your players really get into the 'Number 20' game listed in the OP, try a few more theater games with them. If you have one player that you believe will keep stuffing up the counting, try a game like Chocolate Pudding; You have one scene to act out, but you do the same scene over and over, just with a different theme each time: Pirates, Everyone yelling, Mime, Cave-men and so on.

OneFamiliarFace
2008-09-11, 12:48 AM
Any idea how to keep the players together? Like, not split the party up?

25) Encourage them to work together with each other and you in coming up with their backstories. Encourage them to consider why their character would stay with the group in any situation that arises, first, no matter how big a stretch.

Slightly more unconventially,

26) Showing is always better than telling. Have vibrant NPCs which play into the characters' stories, challenge them to adapt, and make the character part of a world, rather than a group. You can tell them to roleplay all you want, but to have NPCs engage them in it is another thing entirely.

Even more unconventially (because sometimes people aren't feeling their characters),

27) Start a session with a writing exercise, in which you provide a prompt of some kind, and they have 5-10 minutes to write/think of a short story involving their character and that prompt. Start general, and as the sessions progress, find things that are more specific. (So, early writings can just be a word like "tavern." Later on, you can get into things like a specific picture, the word 'cart,' or a specific relative/character/place from the story)

Then encourage the players to tell those stories, or act according to them as best they can.

Essentially, I always advocate putting limits and restraints on my characters' behavior (not from the DM, but coming from the player himself). It is harder to "just play yourself" if the character has certain constraints that the player does not (one reason I have always liked alignment and single-race campaigns, all dwarves, etc).

valadil
2008-09-11, 08:47 AM
28) Have players include dialog and current events in their backstory. This way they'll enter the game with some idea of how to play the character. I find dialog to be much more useful in figuring out how to play a character than the biographical information most backstories consist of.

29) Encourage players to keep diaries for their characters.

30) At the beginning of each session have one player tell the group about last session from his character's point of view. It's okay if some events are left out, as long as it follows that character's POV. Each session someone new gets to retell the last game.

31) At the end of game have everyone list something they liked that each of the other players did in character. Make it unique. Positive reinforcement will help everyone break out of their shells.

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-11, 12:01 PM
32) Disallow the players speaking OOC about what's going on in the game. Allow them to crack OOC jokes on occasion, but never let them say things like, "Ok, my character does X" or "Say, (name of player A), do you think if our characters ambushed the enemy that it would be a good idea?" Rather, make them say, "I do X" and "Say, (name of character of player A), what do you think about ambushing the enemy?"

(Not terribly unconventional, though. I had another one that was more unconventional, but I can't think of it)

-Fiery Diamond

JackMage666
2008-09-11, 12:07 PM
10) Mess with them. Guilt tripping adds a lot of fun to the game. Your guys want to kill that bandit? Okay... Let them. Later on, when they meet a young farmer's wife, have her beg them to find her husband, who ran off to be a bandit just so they could have food to eat. Make them realize that there's more to the world than what they first see. Another example: One of my players once robbed a store by pulling a bow on the old man working there. He laughed that it actually worked... But he stopped laughing when I explained that the old man had a heart attack and dropped dead right on the spot. His plan for easy items and gold ended up with him becoming a wanted fugitive...

Totally did this once... The players were all proud of killing three sets of Kobolds, and getting to the door they were adamantly defending... Only to open it to reveal the starving elders and young the healthy adult kobolds were trying to defend - See, they were trapped in the same dungeon the PCs were, and were just trying to survive. Made them think twice about killing sentient creatures before even attempting talking. The kobolds didn't even attack first, they even gave them warning to turn back...

Artanis
2008-09-11, 01:49 PM
The problem with doing this is it's also liable to make your players cynical.

"That's the BBEG who's been trying to destroy the world and raping puppies."
"Feh, let him go."
"WHAT?"
"It's probably just going to wind up being somebody else's smear campaign to trick us into killing some totally innocent guy who doesn't have any idea what's going on. Hell, I'll give him some gold to buy a loaf of bread with to feed his starving wife and daughter."
"..."

Jerthanis
2008-09-11, 02:06 PM
33.) Before starting the campaign, do trust-falls. It's a team building exercise where people close their eyes and let themselves fall backwards without catching themselves, and the person behind them catches them and lifts them back to their feet. Start with catching the person as soon as they start tipping backwards and work your way up to catching them lower and lower. Have each person act as both catcher and faller in every combination with every other member of the group. It's amazing how little even close friends really trust each other, and how being natural around each other can help bring out character.

chiasaur11
2008-09-11, 03:48 PM
33.) Before starting the campaign, do trust-falls. It's a team building exercise where people close their eyes and let themselves fall backwards without catching themselves, and the person behind them catches them and lifts them back to their feet. Start with catching the person as soon as they start tipping backwards and work your way up to catching them lower and lower. Have each person act as both catcher and faller in every combination with every other member of the group. It's amazing how little even close friends really trust each other, and how being natural around each other can help bring out character.

Also, it's amazing how right that lack of trust can be...

Also, I agree that ten can be a really bad idea.

I mean, if you have some guys who are obviously willing to let you be, and they weren't bad, fine, but if the guy who tried to kill you "wasn't so bad", well...

I'd just start killing everything.

Occasional Sage
2008-09-11, 03:58 PM
If players are going to bounce in- and out-of-character, encourage mannerisms that distinguish the person from the character: accents, postures, gestures and such that are entirely different from the norm. Heck, if you've got a Nos in the group, or a fledgling, encourage them to stick a couple dice under their lower lip to mimic the fangs they need to learn to talk around. If there is a sharp divide in voice and manner, role playing becomes much easier for everybody at the table.

valadil
2008-09-11, 06:55 PM
To add to the idea of mechanisms that show when a character is in or out of character, have you considered roleplaying hats? Everyone, GM included, gets a hat that somehow symbolizes their character. It's easier to pull off in a modern setting and quite fun if everyone participates.

Shazzbaa
2008-09-11, 08:03 PM
And teach by example -- Give the NPCs mannerisms! Give them different voices! If you can't do the right voice, then do something close! Both of my favourite DMs do different voices for characters, and it's not always funny accents -- sometimes it's just "this guy stammers, that guy talks in a stuffy way" kind of voices. But it makes a difference.

Dressing up is hard. I tend to play metahumans, and frequently the opposite gender, so I never look anything like my character. ^^; I draw them to make up for it. ....and I do voices.

I'm also going to second the "keep a journal" idea. I've always been terrible at keeping a proper journal, but after each session, or each significant step of progress, I make a few notes of what my character thinks of all the other PCs or their recent behaviour (sometimes the answer surprises me!) and what the character's understanding of his most recent quest is. If I'm playing characters smarter than myself, it's a good idea since I can use that journal as a refresher. If I'm playing a character who doesn't follow quite as quickly as I do, then I summarise and simplify and leave out things he didn't pick up on.

OneFamiliarFace
2008-09-11, 08:19 PM
Dressing up is hard. I tend to play metahumans, and frequently the opposite gender, so I never look anything like my character. ^^; I draw them to make up for it. ....and I do voices.

And she draws them well, I've checked out her website!

I'm gonna call this one

36) Do any kind of ice-breaker intro, but make them do it in character. My favorite is "Buttons," but I don't know how well it would work for DnD. You take a (washable) marker and draw buttons on your arm and then write things in them, like: Name, Sing, Tell you about my work, Assert that I am Batman, etc. But, make them do it in character. As people have to start pushing buttons faster, it'll make them think more on their toes about their character as someone hammers on their "Say a fact about myself" or "say an opinion" button.

Can I just say that this is a fantastic thread? Okay, just said it. Out.

horseboy
2008-09-11, 09:48 PM
33.) Before starting the campaign, do trust-falls.While it can be a good idea, make sure it's in everybody's physical abilities. I'm not sure I could catch Big 'un's 400 lb mass.

Also agree that good RP starts with the GM, players take a lot of cues from how you present the world. So make sure you've got a good grasp on the world. Odds are good you're not as good on the fly as you think you are.

fireinthedust
2008-09-11, 09:55 PM
To add to the idea of mechanisms that show when a character is in or out of character, have you considered roleplaying hats? Everyone, GM included, gets a hat that somehow symbolizes their character. It's easier to pull off in a modern setting and quite fun if everyone participates.

Actually, I think the opposite would be more appropriate: make them put on their hats to talk ooc. Taking the hat off again to act in-game means they're stripping off a layer. The prop can be a crutch.

Thrud
2008-09-11, 10:04 PM
Do a one on one session with each character before the game actually starts. It doesn't have to be a full game session, but it really helps the player to flesh out their character, and helps you to get a handle on their personality.

Also encourage them to WRITE out a background for their characters. I tend to sweeten the deal by saying something like, give me a detailed character history including parents, siblings if any, info on the pivotal event (Embrace, first change, awakening, etc) and if they do it I give em some bonus freebie points. (Usually 5).

I have a rule that if you are sitting at the table and you have a hand on the table, then everything you say is in character. UNLESS you say 'OOC to the ST, or Rules Clarification'. I DO NOT allow OOC conversations between players during game time.

I occasionally write out lots of notes with random orders on them and hand them out all from time to time. They say things like 'roll per+awareness' 'Roll willpower' 'Look up and smile, then fold this up and give it back to me'. Most of the time they are meaningless, but they help mask when you are asking for important info. It is helpful to players that have problems keeping OOC and IC separate. If you have a good group feel free to skip this one.

Prewriting important notes is always a plus (I believe someone else mentioned this one.) it saves lots of time.

fireinthedust
2008-09-11, 10:15 PM
Spend a chunk of the first session with the characters having a non-adventure-related conversation. Example: if the group is a bunch of mobsters, start them off at a Diner arguing over who's going to pay the tip. (Reservoir Dogs: "why do I have to be Mr. Pink?" and "I never tip")

After a few sessions: when the characters are reasonably established, have the players do a game of poker In-Character.

Have Three GMs for the troup. All of them know the plot, and each of them is responsible for RPing a type of NPC; also they can RP the NPCs in a particular scene interacting with each other.

Drama: It isn't conflict, it's problem solving. Humans solve problems. Give the players things to solve, and make those challenges immediate, but not necessarily involving combat.

valadil
2008-09-12, 09:31 AM
Actually, I think the opposite would be more appropriate: make them put on their hats to talk ooc. Taking the hat off again to act in-game means they're stripping off a layer. The prop can be a crutch.

There are a number of ways to indicate OOC. I've also seen crossing your fingers and putting your hand on your chest. I'm not sure where the finger one came from, but the hand on the chest is used in theater LARPs to cover up your character's name tag.

I'm partial to the RP hats because of how silly they are. Once someone has gone and made themselves look ridiculous by putting on a stupid hat, they've already taken a step out of their shell and they become more willing to act out the character. It may be a crutch or a training wheel, but some players really need that before they can RP on their own. I'm also in favor of the hats because I'm visually oriented and like the reminder of which character I'm talking to.

Count Dravda
2008-09-13, 09:53 PM
Ooh, boy! I love this thread!

-Count Dravda

Enlong
2008-09-13, 09:59 PM
Bring a music player, with some ambient music that really says "roleplaying time". Encourage the idea that when it's playing, you keep in character.

Shazzbaa
2008-09-13, 10:47 PM
Music's kind of hit-or-miss. If something dramatic happens that the ambiance-guy didn't anticipate, the wrong music will jerk you out-of-character, and the awkward pause as the ambiance-guy tries to find appropriate music can jerk you out-of-character even more.

I've seen it work and I've seen it fail (often in the same session). It depends on how hard-core you want to be. If you'd find it irritating rather than funny when silly music ends up somehow playing during your dramatic death, then you might want to hold off on music. If you don't mind players cracking a smile when it goes wrong, then go for it, it can add a lot. :3

As an alternative to those who've suggested massive backstories, I'm going to suggest talking one-on-one with the players. A lot.

I fail hardcore at writing up backstories, but working back-and-forth with the GM, I can create a thought-out story that I'm quite happy with. When it comes to writing it down, I will likely only summarise only what's necessary, but in talking to the DM I'll spew the character's feelings and opinions and hopes and goals and hates and fears, and the process really helps me understand the character as well.

I also really like going to the GM in-between sessions and talking out how my character feels about the current situation, what he thinks of everyone, etc. It helps me solidify in my mind where he stands. I don't know if this approach would help people who don't do it already, but I say, at the very least be open to discussing the characters one-on-one, because someone may get a lot out of it.

fireinthedust
2008-09-13, 11:33 PM
I'm anti-music.

Psychology researchers have found (my text says, no reference yet) that study with music makes it harder to learn the material studied. It distracts focus and concentration.

For RPG's: It'd depend on what music and how you play it, I think. Like, if you were playing Star Wars and reading a description of a Star Destroyer, and you played the Darth Vader Imperial March theme... that would be okay.
Just having music on, even relatively-related music, would be a destraction from the rp.

so I'd say use it as musical ques and enhancements briefly, but not white noise in the background.

Collin152
2008-09-13, 11:35 PM
Psychology researchers have found (my text says, no reference yet) that study with music makes it harder to learn the material studied. It distracts focus and concentration.

If I can comprehend it through the music, I'm putting much more thought into it, you know.

fireinthedust
2008-09-13, 11:51 PM
yeah, and if you run a mile with a sixty pound pack on your back, you use more energy than if you weren't wearing it.

it's still not as efficient as not having it on in the first place. Also, without music the mind can do other things, like think up and debate counter-examples. Multi-tasking rather than overcoming distraction.

valadil
2008-09-13, 11:57 PM
I think that it depends on the music. I'd never play anything with lyrics while GMing, unless it were really, really appropriate. (For that matter I don't listen to anything with lyrics when working or sleeping either). I also shy away from something a player is likely to recognize. FF7's Sephiroth music is awesome, but it'll make the players think of Sephiroth, not of your game. If I use a soundtrack, it has to be obscure.

Maybe a theme song for the game would make sense? Like, if you had something you played while recapping the previous session and then the music went off. It might help trigger what happened last game, without distracting.

turkishproverb
so I'd say use it as musical ques and enhancements briefly, but not white noise in the background.

Generally I'm similar, but when there is supposed to be a distracting level of noise (IE Cantina scene, ballroom scene) I'll occasionally have stuff playing to provide atmosphere.

TheCountAlucard
I fail hardcore at writing up backstories, but working back-and-forth with the GM, I can create a thought-out story that I'm quite happy with. When it comes to writing it down, I will likely only summarise only what's necessary, but in talking to the DM I'll spew the character's feelings and opinions and hopes and goals and hates and fears, and the process really helps me understand the character as well.

I'm sort of this way myself... I can define a character much more easily via talking about it with someone else, where if I'm just writing on a character sheet, it's unlikely to be longer than a paragraph or two...

Collin152
2008-09-14, 12:00 AM
yeah, and if you run a mile with a sixty pound pack on your back, you use more energy than if you weren't wearing it.

it's still not as efficient as not having it on in the first place.

But you'll be stronger afterwards.

Ravyn
2008-09-14, 12:03 AM
I find that when done right, the music can really help my game, particularly when I time it right; there've been a lot of times when I've used koto and shakuhachi music because someone was actually playing it, I've got a couple characters that the group can sort of sense the presence of through what I'm playing (heavy-vibrato sax music for the Fate-twisting spider demon comes to mind), and of course, there was last night's little incident with a major canonical PC on a First Age dance pad and me pumping through "Aka to Kuro" from the Noir soundtrack... OH, was that fun. It's when it starts looping for too long that there start being issues, and when you're using something the group already has some other associations with. (Don't get me started on why I never use all the shiny video game music one of my players turned me loose on.)

For other playing aids--if your setting has astrology or some analogue thereof, help the players draw up horoscopes for their characters. It's both amusing, and a way of hinting at things that might be coming in the plot.

Give them silly little things to guide to. If you've got ultra-powerful NPCs, feel free to use those to make them seem more human, or approachable, not just Big Canon Force of Nature (see DDR example above. Yes, he's the puppetmaster of the known world, but he likes a dance-game as well as anything. Made a sweet blog-topic, too).

BRC
2008-09-14, 12:11 AM
Two of my players came up with an intresting RP technique. They are an Elan and a Kobold (the Elan is the result of an experiment by the organization that the PC's work for). The Elan also can't talk, and carries the Kobold around in his backpack. They also have a mindlink between them, so when the Elan wants to talk he whispers in the Kobold's ear and the Kobold says "My associate says X".

xyzzy
2008-09-14, 01:23 AM
Lost track of the number >.<

Begin the first session with a recap of a previous adventure the PCs were in together if they're not meeting for the first time in this campaign. The twist: You begin with a short description, then point at the players one by one and have them continue your description. Cut them off in the middle of sentences or even words, and switch to a random person, going through each person several times until a (hopefully slightly funny) backstory exists. Make sure to give everyone about equal time.

Start a session off with some sort of disaster with multiple possible decisions - for instance, the village they're traveling through is suddenly attacked by monsters they're not strong enough to handle, and put a very plot-important NPC's life in danger, while meanwhile the plot-important magic device they were here looking for is in danger of being destroyed, which would cause lots of damage to everything and everyone around - not to mention the large number of weak NPCs who will die if the PCs just try to escape.

Play a session taking place at night or in a badly-lit dungeon completely in the dark; make the only source of light whatever you use to check dice rolls. Consider blind-folding the players, while you quietly walk around and describe what they feel - by having them actually feel it. Of course, the players shouldn't be privy to the props you use; that way, if you, for instance, have one of them collide with a tree branch which feels like something horrible and painful, the player doesn't actually see the tree branch before putting the blindfold on.