PDA

View Full Version : 4th Ed 1-30 Warlock/Wizard build

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-09-11, 12:16 AM
I've been racking my brain, trying to cook up a 4 person team that consists of multi-classed versions of every core class. Thus far, this is the first full draft of a party member build. In any case, if anyone has ideas for improvements on this build and/or what race to run with the the other class combos, I'm very much open to ideas. I've gotten the distinct impression that Bugbears are the end all DPS "Brutal" Rogues, while Minotaurs seem to be fantastic "Two-Blade" Rangers with axes. That leaves me with 4 other classes, and no real idea how to wed them all together. In any case, please give the build a look, I'm eager to see if I've missed or overlooked anything.

Race: Githyanki
Height: 6’5’’
Weight: 190
Racial Attribute Bonuses: +2 Con, +2 Int
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Skill Bonus: +2 History
Danger Sense: +2 Initiative
Githyanki Willpower: +1 Will and +2 vs Charm
Racial Power: Telekenetic Leap
Class: Warlock/Wizard
Class Bonus to Defense: +1 Ref, +1 Will
HP: 12 + Con
HP per level: 5
Healing Surges per day: 6 + Con
Trained Skills: Arcana (Int), History (Int), Religion (Int), Thievery (Dex)
Class Features: Infernal Pact, Dark One’s Blessing, Prime Shot, Shadow Walk, Warlock’s Curse
Attributes:
Con and Int get priority, with a minimum of 14 for Dex and 13 for Str, Wis, and Cha though Wis is the next important stat beyond the base requirements
Equipment:
Leather Armor (25gp, 15lbs): +2 Armor Bonus
Everburning Torch (50gp, 1lb): permanent magic light source
Thieves’ Tools (20gp, 1lb): + 2 to Thievery checks to open locks and disarm traps
Trail Rations (5gp, 10lbs): 10 days worth

Level Plan:
1: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Diabolic Grasp, Flames of Phlegethos, Improved Dark One’s Blessing feat
2: Ethereal Stride, Arcane Initiate feat (Scorching Burst)
3: Fiery Bolt
4: +1 Con/Int, Novice Power feat (Int 13 pre, Diabolic Grasp > Burning Hands)
5: Avernian Eruption
6: Fey Switch, Astral Fire feat (Dex 13/Cha 13 pre)
7: Fire Burst (Novice Power)
8: +1 Con/Int, Acolyte Power feat (Fey Switch > Dimension Door)
9: Iron Spike of Dis
10: Shielding Shades, Adept Power feat (Iron Spike of Dis > Wall of Fire)
11: +1 all, Multiclass Paragon (Hellish Rebuke > Scorching Burst), Paragon (Fire Burst), Arcane Reach feat (Dex 15 pre), Scorching Burst > Ray of Frost (retrain Arcane Initiate)
12: Paragon (Blur), Wintertouched feat
13: Burning Hands > Frostburn (upgrade encounter)
14: +1 Con/Int, Lasting Frost feat
15: Avernian Eruption > Tendrils of Thuban (upgrade daily)
16: Eye of the Warlock, Burning Blizzard feat (Int 13, Wis 13 pre)
17: Fiery Bolt > Combust (upgrade encounter)
18: +1 Con/Int, Spell Focus (Cha 13 pre) feat
19: Flames of Phlegethos > Disintegrate (upgrade daily)
20: Paragon (Disintegrate), Point-Blank Shot feat
21: +1 all, Demigod (Divine Spark), Irresistible Flame feat
22: Wings of the Fiend, Arcane Mastery feat
23: Fire Burst > Chain Lightning (upgrade encounter)
24: +1 Con/Int, Demigod (Divine Recovery), Spell Accuracy feat
25: Wall of Fire > Thirteen Baleful Stars (upgrade daily)
26: Demigod (Divine Regeneration), Twofold Curse feat
27: Combust > Hellfire Curse (upgrade encounter)
28: +1 Con/Int, flexible feat
29: Disintegrate > Doom of Delban (upgrade daily)
30: Demigod (Divine Miracle), flexible feat

Flexible Feat Options:
Evasion (Dex 15 pre)
Mettle

Kurald Galain
2008-09-11, 04:50 AM
I've gotten the distinct impression that Bugbears are the end all DPS "Brutal" Rogues, while Minotaurs seem to be fantastic "Two-Blade" Rangers with axes. That leaves me with 4 other classes,

How's that? There's eight core classes.

Bugbear rogue is good, and may benefit from ranger multiclass.

For a tank, there's a lot to be said for a dwarf fighter.

For a wizard, however, I would neither recommend warlock multiclassing (cleric is better), nor a githyanki (I'd go with eladrin, human, or doppelganger for fun).

JackMage666
2008-09-11, 06:43 AM
Githyanki do make great Warlocks though, so it's a safe race. Although, fluff wise, Star Pact works better for them, but to each their own.

Overall, looks solid mechanically, but I don't like how you switch from being all about the fire to being all about the cold as soon as it become more advantageous to do so... Seems kinda powergamey, but hey, your call. Personally, even though it's weaker, Fire is much cooler than cold (no pun intended)

ghost_warlock
2008-09-11, 02:39 PM
I'm actually playing a githyanki warlock MC wizard in a KotS game right now. :smallsmile: An online version of my characters sheet is linked in my sig (Rak).

I went with star pact for the fluff, as well as the fact that fate of the void is so much more useful than dark one's blessing (and it has been really, really helpful). Unfortunately, a good many star pact powers are Cha-based, but I'll be taking Twofold Pact (Infernal) at 11th anyway. I went with vampiric embrace for my encounter, because it targets Will and the extra 5 hp can come in handy. I picked up a wand with diabolic grasp 1/day, though, and I've used it to good effect shoving/pulling enemies off of cliffs and the like.

I MC'd wizard from the start for thunderwave. So far, it's been helpful...once. (I keep botching the attack rolls horribly.) :smallfrown:

I'll be going Bloodmage for my paragon path.

Because of my hardcore Con score (18) and good AC (thanks to 18 Int), I generally don't have much fear of death, unless things start going horribly wrong. During many fights I have found myself several squares away from my nearest ally (outdoors battles) as I chase down and neutralize enemy artillery. (Putting Prime Shot to good use.) The racial flying thing is helpful for circumventing obstacles, such as cliffs and other terrain, and ethereal stride has been a useful mobiliy supplement since I nabbed it at 2nd.

All-in-all, I think this character build is good if you want a semi-mobile and durable character who can lay the smack down 1v1 and function as a secondary controller in a pinch (at least, you should be able to with the right MC wizard powers).

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-09-13, 03:38 PM
Kurald:
1. I mean that I have the combo of War/Wiz, and the an inkling of ideas or Rog and Rang. That leaves trying to figure out what to do with Fight, Paladin, Cleric, and Warlord.

2. For your Warlock advice, why those races? Am I missing something?

Jackmage:
1: Yeah, I couldn't help myself. I liked the fire theme, but then I saw Frostburn and I just HAD to run with the cold theme too. Then Chain Lightning appeared, and it looked like the coolest spell EVER... things broke down a little around that point. I started getting distracted by the shiny things.

Ghost_Warlock:
1: I was tempted to go or Vamp too, but I kept being nagged by the back of my head about the possibilities or hucking enemies off cliffs and/or into the loving arms of teammates.

2: I went infernal or both the numbers AND the fact that I have thought since 3.5 that githyanki made a great race for devil worship/dealings.

3. I did it for the later game Chain Lighting. It has to be one of my favorite 4.0 spells. Just too bloody cool.

4. Think you that a Bloodmage paragon path would suit the spike-sub-aoe nature of the build better than a MC paragon?