PDA

View Full Version : D&D in Lansing

FayeGypsy
2008-09-11, 06:40 AM
Anyone have a game up and running in Lansing Mi that could use another person? I've been deprived of gaming for almost two whole years and could use a fix.

Keld Denar
2008-09-11, 12:00 PM
Hey, I used to live in EL when I was an MSU student. Are you a student as well? EL, for being a college town, seems to be pretty hard up for gaming, as it stands. Places to check out to look for gamers include The Fortress (its near the corner of Albert and Division in EL) and Major League Games (I think its on West Saganaw in Lansing). Both have tack boards you could leave contact info and a short blurb on.

Another avenue is to check out the local RPGA group. With Living Greyhawk dying out at the end of the year, this might not be the best option, since a lot of my friends who used to be really active in the RPGA have slowed down their play schedules, and a few will be quitting all together instead of converting to 4.0. CARP (Capitol Area Role-Players) is the primary RPGA group in the area, so google them to get info about their meetings. They mostly play Living Blackmoor (stripped down 3.5 Forgotten Realmsy setting) and Living Force (Star Wars setting), and I assume the new Living Forgotten Realms 4.0 setting. There are a large number of yahoo groups set up for regional living games, if you poke around the internets a bit. I know lg_annarbor and lg_furyondy still see a bit of traffic, and they could direct you to a more appropriate group than I can.

If you don't mind traveling, I have a lot of friends in the Lansing, A^2, and Detroit areas who have home games you might be able to get involved in. I'd hate to solicite my friends, but if you PM me an email addy, I could pass it along to them and give them the initiative to contact you if they are looking for players.

What demographic do you fall into? Most of the gamers that I know in southern lower Michigan tend to be in their mid-late 30s and 40s, I was always the youngest gamer playing with them in my early 20s, with the exception of the ones that had young kids who were just starting to play D&D.

If you are an MSU or LCC student, try advertising around campus. Make up some flyers with an email addy and post em around in places like the dorms, engineering building (lots of gamers there!), union, International Center, and at The Fortress. You might get some hits and be able to form up a gaming group in the near future.

Hope this helps, and like I said, if you want, send me a PM with contact info and I'll pass it along to a few freinds I still have in the area to see if they have any games running atm, or would like to start/join one. Good luck!

FayeGypsy
2008-09-11, 12:40 PM
I'm going to LCC and will be checking out the Fortress after I'm done typing this actually :smallbiggrin: *takes notes* Thanks for all the great advice, a more extensive reply shall be pmed.

Triaxx
2008-09-11, 07:54 PM
Yes, definitely go east. The farther west you go in this state, the scarcer the pickings.

Keld Denar
2008-09-11, 08:05 PM
Yes, definitely go east. The farther west you go in this state, the scarcer the pickings.

HEY! My best friend lives near Kalamazoo, and she's mostly normal!

metalbear
2008-09-11, 09:34 PM
Hey, I'm student at MSU, and I just started a campaign just last week. If you want to know some more, just send me a message.

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-11, 09:40 PM
There's Also 21st Century games on Grand River, just North of Campus. that's a good hub for gaming as well.

RTGoodman
2008-09-11, 09:47 PM
I've never been anywhere close to Michigan, but I would tell you that if you're looking in the Kalamazoo area you might have some success. It's the home of basically the only Medieval Studies graduate program in the US and the annual International Congress on Medieval Studies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Congress_on_Medieval_Studies), and I can attest to the fact that a lot of medievalists are also gamers on one kind or another (roleplaying, wargaming, etc.).

Keld Denar
2008-09-11, 11:30 PM
Hey, I'm student at MSU, and I just started a campaign just last week. If you want to know some more, just send me a message.

Where were you 5 years ago when I was in college!!!???!!!

/cry

Triaxx
2008-09-12, 04:36 PM
There's nothing normal about Kalamazoo. :smallbiggrin: I'm halfway between there and the coast, and over here there's nothing. Just tumbleweeds.

Keld Denar
2008-09-12, 07:08 PM
She just bought a new house in Paw Paw, a town made of lakes and win. While not associated with Kzoo, its close enough.

I think its a clear upgrade, considering she grew up in Holland (MI).

Btw, she also used to game with me. Had a 6 cha 1/2 orc barbarian who loved to whack men on the head with her greatclub and drag em back to her lairhome. Pretty fitting character for her, IMO.

Triaxx
2008-09-12, 07:26 PM
Good to hear. Moving to the capital of the county.

FayeGypsy
2008-09-12, 07:56 PM
Triaxx: It really depends where in the east you go. Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo are ok cause of the colleges.

The Great Skenardo: *adds that to list of places to lurk at* =3 Thanks.

rtg0922: I had no idea about that... It's pretty cool actually. We're you thinking of doing Medieval studies or something?

Heh, Kzoo's not to bad though when I was living in Grand Rapids I had a job out there. Doesn't Paw Paw have an annual pow pow?

Philzee
2008-12-11, 11:25 AM
Awesome! I just discovered this thread and so close to home, too. Here is an updated piece of info about what I am doing in Lansing.

What are you looking for?
The ruleset is Dungeons & Dragons 4E. Players will be submerged into a setting that is loosely based off of some of the Forgotten Realms material, but will be homebrewed to fit the world of Eberron when it is released for 4E. I have tons of goodies for playing. I am somewhat mature, but alas, I guess anyone would say that I am for my age. Furthermore, players will create their characters using the standard point-buy system in the PHB with additional points for spending as a possibility. Background for your character is required so that you can enjoy watching your character evolve into what he is destined to become. Drop me a line if you are interested, I will try me best to get back with you.

About Me
I've played a lot of D&D and now I want to experience 4E. I had a steady 3.5 group for years. Now it has dwindled due to time being ever so consuming for the players. One of the players that will be present will be from the original group and the other will make special guest appearance. I have a new player to the board and am looking for others.

Good to see some others here from Lansing!

lisiecki
2008-12-11, 01:17 PM
Ummmm

To the people who have posted about games in michigan
are you still looking for players?
I need to game... So, so badly

Philzee
2008-12-11, 02:49 PM
Ummmm

To the people who have posted about games in michigan
are you still looking for players?
I need to game... So, so badly

I'm in Lansing and yes I am definately seeking 1 or 2 more players, please. This will be a lot of fun; we play in my dingey old basement. My wife bought me an old Halloween sign that points there from the landing of the stairs title "Dungeon" with an arrow.

Also, I have a ton of goodies to game with. Maybe not as much as the 40 Year Old Virgin, but I feel like I have ample enough props.