PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler gear

Hal
2008-09-11, 07:46 AM
Hey folks, I'm playing in a 3.5 game set in Ptolus. I've already got my starting gear, but as the game goes on I'm trying to figure out what sort of stuff I should be grabbing to fill out my role. I'm already carrying a deflecting dagger, a hand of the mage, a familiar pouch, and a couple of panic buttons.

For party make-up, there are 3 casters: a cleric, a duskblade, and myself. Oh, and an urban ranger.

With that in mind, any ideas as to what gear I should work towards in the future? I was considering a wand bracer (Dungeonscape) and filling it with eternal wands, as our DM has MIC so the gear within is available, but I've never cracked the book myself. What works well?

Oh, one more note. We pissed off the Forsaken, a group of necromancers and undead, so a lot of my normal magic is not helping so far. So, anything that the undead are going to be more or less resistant to is probably unhelpful.

Thanks!

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-11, 07:57 AM
I'd say that using wands for spells which Beguillers can't normally use is a good idea. What level are you at? Rope Trick would be useful for hiding at night, and a fre offencive spells such as Disintegrate and Orb of Force was good choices as well.

DrizztFan24
2008-09-11, 10:21 AM
sneaky caster/trap guy or party face?

Hal
2008-09-11, 11:23 AM
sneaky caster/trap guy or party face?

A bit of both, really.

I'm not the party face, as I just joined the group, but my stats are situated to make it easy (maxed out bluff & disguise, high diplomacy). I took Face-Changer (CM) to give me a lot of options for disappearing into a crowd.

My search skill is a bit anemic, but I'm the only one in the party with trap-finding, so I'm probably going to put more skill points in that as time goes on. I do have high modifiers for move silently, sleight of hand, and hide, too.

So, yeah, a bit of everything. Oh, and it's at level 7ish right now.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-11, 11:29 AM
Disintegrate

Pretty sure you can't put this one into a wand since it's min 6th level and wands have a cap of 4th level spells. You could scroll it though.

Also, if you are looking to wand it up, you might want to consider seeing if your DM will allow you to use eternal wands from the MiC. They will save you money in the long run if it's a spell you use often (like Orbs).

FinalJustice
2008-09-11, 12:28 PM
Veil of Allure (MIC) is pretty much mandatory, depending on your level. +2 to all your Enchantment DCs is something a Beguiler just doesn't pass.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-11, 01:37 PM
A Healing Belt (MiC) is good for everyone in the party to get, especially considering its price.

A Circlet of Blasting (DMG) could also be useful, especially against these "Forsaken (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/races/undead.html)" since it does extra damage to undead. See if you can pay the difference between the cost of similar items to upgrade it to something else, so you could get a Minor circlet and then upgrade it to the Major Circlet of Blasting later on. Also note that by the charges/day equation in the back of the DMG, a normally 1/day item that would be created with additional uses would have its cost multiplied by the desired number of uses per day (or usable at will for five times the cost, but most DMs wouldn't allow that). A particularly creative friend of mine wanted one of these but already had the headband spot filled, so he got Eyes of Blasting made instead, and it looked like beams of light shooting out of his eyes. That could be a good idea if you want to have a Headband of Intelligence or a Circlet of Persuasion.

DrizztFan24
2008-09-11, 01:41 PM
yea, get alot of mundane items or goggles to help your search, potions, eternal wands....that goodness. Any +INT gear is a good news item since you casting is a huge compliment to your other skills.

Hal
2008-09-11, 03:02 PM
A Circlet of Blasting (DMG) could also be useful, especially against these "Forsaken (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/races/undead.html)" since it does extra damage to undead.

Hey man, I didn't write the setting. You take it up with Monte Cook.

Chronos
2008-09-11, 05:36 PM
Runestaves can be good for beguilers, since they let you use your spell slots (of which you have many) for options not normally available to beguilers. They'll help your versatility a lot.