PDA

View Full Version : Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Enlong
2008-09-11, 10:48 AM
So, Square has decided to take their flagship series and give it the Smash Bros. treatment. For a while now we've known about a new spinoff game, Dissidia: Final Fantasy. It's essentially a big ol' fighting game for the PSP that's gonna have characters from every game in the series through X. So far, Square has revealed that there'll be at least 20 playable characters, two for each game; that makes one hero and one big bad for each.
I must not be the only one here who thinks that this game is going to be freaking awesome, right? I may consider buying a PSP just for this game.

Oh, and they semi-recently made a new trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39552.html) that fully confirms a number of characters, including Onion Knight and Cloud of Darkness from FFIII, and Kefka from FFVI (who, I must say, looks disturbingly like Dark Knight's Joker), and introduces some kind of board-game element (methinks you move your guy to a bad guy to initiate a battle). There's only a few spots left unfilled in the game rosters.

Anyway: Discuss.

I personally think that FFVI's hero is going to be Terra. Kekfa in one trailer mentions something about a "special lady" or something, and given that a number of characters have moves that change them into some kind of super-form (Onion Knight into Ninja or Sage, Cecil and his two classes), it would make perfect sense to use Terra and have her go Esper.

Oregano
2008-09-11, 10:54 AM
It sounds like a good idea, I may go the same way as you and actually buy a PSP then I could have more FF.

Cecil will be awesome, especially if you can change between Dark Knight and Paladin.

Enlong
2008-09-11, 10:58 AM
It sounds like a good idea, I may go the same way as you and actually buy a PSP then I could have more FF.

Cecil will be awesome, especially if you can change between Dark Knight and Paladin.

You can. According to FFWiki, Paladin is highly effective in aerial combat and magic, while Dark Knight is a master of direct ground-based attacks and brute strength. Which is awesome.
Oh, and the FFIV villain is Golbez, who, like Kuja, is a highly deadly and effective magical ranged combatant.

I love how they made Onion Knight's super form the two most broken FFIII classes (at least in the NES version). Shout-outs rule.

Oh, speaking of Onion Knight, I found another trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38926.html) with him fighting Cloud of Darkness (who is easily the most... PG-13 of all the villains thus far)

Edit: Holy crap, they made a new version of the Final Battle theme from III for when you fight Cloud of Darkness. That rule- *imagines Dancing Mad theme for Kefka*
YES.

Drascin
2008-09-11, 11:11 AM
I personally think that FFVI's hero is going to be Terra. Kekfa in one trailer mentions something about a "special lady" or something, and given that a number of characters have moves that change them into some kind of super-form (Onion Knight into Ninja or Sage, Cecil and his two classes), it would make perfect sense to use Terra and have her go Esper.

She better be. There has not been a protagonist I have liked more in a Final Fantasy, and I will personally visit pain upon the developers if she's not in (because the "special lady" has as many numbers to be Celes as to be Terra. Yeah, Celes's cool, but... I prefer Terra, personally)

Devin
2008-09-11, 11:18 AM
I've been keeping track of this game on the FF wiki. I hope this is the game that makes Ultimecia cool.

Enlong
2008-09-11, 11:18 AM
She better be. There has not been a protagonist I have liked more in a Final Fantasy, and I will personally visit pain upon the developers if she's not in (because the "special lady" has as many numbers to be Celes as to be Terra. Yeah, Celes's cool, but... I prefer Terra, personally)

Ah, I say Terra not only because of Kefka's line, but also because of the way the game works. What the heck would Celes do for an EX mode? For perspective, Cecil can become Paladin or Dark Knight, Onion Knight becomes Ninja or Sage, Fririon can change his weapons, Warrior Of Light class-ups into Knight, etc. Celes really doesn't have anything like that, but Terra can turn into a freaking Esper and go to town.
And that is why Terra is gonna be the FFVI character.

I wonder who'll be the FFV hero? Methinks Bartz, but with so many classes in the game, it's hart to guess at what he'll do or what his EX mode will be.

Oregano
2008-09-11, 11:20 AM
Where Terra's probably the most likely, the game began with her, she's probably the most important as well.

I'm going to have save up for a PSP now.

EDIT: They might give him the Necromancer Class, or was that only in a remake?

Devin
2008-09-11, 11:20 AM
I had the same thoughts about Terra; it just makes more sense. I hope Bartz will be able to change between a ton of classes on the fly.

Enlong
2008-09-11, 11:23 AM
Where Terra's probably the most likely, the game began with her, she's probably the most important as well.

I'm going to have save up for a PSP now.

EDIT: They might give him the Necromancer Class, or was that only in a remake?

Yeah, just the remake.

If they really want to get meta, then his normal mode will be Freelancer, and his EX mode will be Freelancer.... with dual-wielding/spellblade/X-fight madness!
Or just Mystic Knight, 'cause it looks cool.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-11, 11:29 AM
Tengu's character wishlist:
FF V Gilgamesh
Locke
Celes
Edgar
Sabin
Setzer
Red XIII
Yuffie
Vincent
FF VII Cid
Vivi

Of course, since most of them aren't that extremely popular among the fanboys (:smallyuk:), the only ones that have higher chances of appearing are Celes and Vincent. And Vivi, because you have to lack a soul not to like Vivi.

Mando Knight
2008-09-11, 12:16 PM
I may consider buying a PSP just for this game.

I concur. Really, I would like Smash IV to be announced and include Cecil, but I may very well buy this game and system anyway (IF it's released to the US, that is...)

Oregano
2008-09-11, 12:23 PM
Tengu I like all those character, except maybe Yuffie, robbing my materia and making me rearrange it when I finally got it back.

Any FF character in Super Smash Bros. would be awesome and could happen. I'd probably be hoping for Cecil as well, although it'd probably be Cloud(unless it was only a character that appeared on a Nintendo console).

Enlong
2008-09-11, 01:18 PM
So, anyone else thinking Riot Blade for Terra's EX burst after going Esper?

You know, I just had a thought: What could Cloud and Sephiroth do for EX mode? Having not played the game any further then the Shinra building so far, I only know in passing of Omnislash (thanks to KH:CoM), but I don't know how Cloud could transform or power up.

Oregano
2008-09-11, 01:23 PM
Hmm, you have a point, Vincent would be the most suitable for that role if they have to transform. What about Squall?

Enlong
2008-09-11, 01:27 PM
Hmm, you have a point, Vincent would be the most suitable for that role if they have to transform. What about Squall?
Haven't played (8?) myself. But they don't all have to transform. For example, Firionel can swap his weapons and Cloud of Darkness turns green and gains Particle Beam.

Maybe Cloud's EX mode could simply be Limit Break? (maybe changing his attack roster to moves that resemble his Limit Breaks) And Omnislash is the EX burst attack?

Oregano
2008-09-11, 01:30 PM
That would probably be it, same for Squall most likely as well. It sounds like an awesome game, how much are PSPs nowadays?

Burley
2008-09-11, 01:53 PM
I know you're all gonna laugh, but here's my wish list.
Short and sweet:

Vivi
Sora

They're the only two FF characters I've ever wanted to Brawl with. Sora could use any of his drive forms from KH2, and Vivi could do...something...

Tengu_temp
2008-09-11, 02:32 PM
Tengu I like all those character, except maybe Yuffie, robbing my materia and making me rearrange it when I finally got it back.

But mischief is a part of what makes Yuffie cute.

Sora

Not a Final Fantasy character.

Mx.Silver
2008-09-11, 02:34 PM
I know you're all gonna laugh, but here's my wish list.
Short and sweet:

Vivi
Sora

They're the only two FF characters I've ever wanted to Brawl with. Sora could use any of his drive forms from KH2, and Vivi could do...something...

Technically, Sora isn't even an FF character so I wouldn't count on him appearing. Personally, I wouldn't mind it if he did, but only so I could then proceed to go through the rest of the character library one by one and smack him to pieces. Actually, that's a pretty good attitude to have if you don't like one of the characters in the game.

Oregano
2008-09-11, 02:34 PM
Ooo, I never thought of KH, Sora would be a great addition, would Ansem be the bad guy or someone else though?

Maybe some standard FF monsters/characters as characters on it, being a Chocobo or Tonberry would rule.

Devin
2008-09-11, 03:31 PM
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dissidia

You can find out more about the game and what it's going to be like here. Sorry, but it seems like there are only going to be twenty characters: a hero and a villain each from 1 through 10.

Kimusabe
2008-09-12, 03:35 AM
Man, this game looks so damn Awesome!
My Friend showed me a couple of trailers and a fight between Tidus and Jecht on his iPod a couple of days ago, It looks intense as! I already have a psp, and I've just begun getting bored of the games I have at the moment (Because I've practically finished all of them) and I was really look forward to another great game, and now... I'M REALLY EXCITED! (well not that excited, just reasonably)

Seriously, I can't wait to give this game a go.:smallbiggrin:

Also in one of the trailers, the combat looked really similar to Kingdom Hearts (Which I have barely played at all, but loved) only, well, slightly better :smalltongue:

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-12, 12:23 PM
It's not the first FF fighting game you know. There was an old one called Ergheiz.

Anyway, I'm definitley going to be getting my hands on this one.

Griever
2008-09-12, 12:48 PM
Wait, was that Squall going head-to-head with Sephiroth... damn, that's awesome!

Sephiroth needs to have his clock cleaned a lot.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-12, 01:56 PM
Wait, was that Squall going head-to-head with Sephiroth... damn, that's awesome!
Yeah I thought that was kick-awesome myself.

Vonriel
2008-09-12, 04:50 PM
You know, people who play this game are going to fall into one of two groups: Those who either use sephiroth to beat the hell out of everyone on the roster, and those who use everyone on the roster to beat the hell out of sephiroth. :smalltongue:

This is yet another reason I must get a PSP, dammit.

Oregano
2008-09-12, 04:52 PM
I want to play Cecil to be honest and not to specifically beat on any characters, just because he's awesome and actualy seems to be a main character that's more powerful than the rest of the party.

Enlong
2008-09-12, 05:29 PM
I want to play Cecil to be honest and not to specifically beat on any characters, just because he's awesome and actualy seems to be a main character that's more powerful than the rest of the party.
I want to play Cecil for those same reasons.
I also want to play Terra because the idea of going Esper in a fighting game is too awesome.
And I want to play Kefka because DUDE. It's Kefka.

Vonriel
2008-09-12, 10:29 PM
I want to play Edgar - even though it won't happen - because you get to use a chainsaw and go jason on your competition. Chainsaws make everything better.

In the vein of main characters who feel more powerful than the rest, I want to play as Zidane. By story, he should be more powerful than the entire rest of the party combined. Not only that, but he's the only named dual-wielder in the games. TWO chainsaws! :smallbiggrin:

elementalist
2008-10-02, 06:11 AM
Im sure that in ff5 is bartz and exdeath,ff6 is terra and cloud in ff7. In my own opinion this the unlockable characters.

White Wizard class in ff1
Leon in ff2
Luneth in ff3
Kain in ff4
Galuf in ff5
Locke in ff6
Zack in ff7
Seifer in ff8
Garnet in ff9
Yuna in ff10

elementalist
2008-10-02, 07:38 AM
Hey guys look at the trailer 3. Watch emperor and firion fight. I think thats the ex-mode of firion in lower right corner. His image has change. I see his bandana was been remove. Wattch it you will see.

Kimusabe
2008-10-02, 08:08 PM
You know, people who play this game are going to fall into one of two groups: Those who either use sephiroth to beat the hell out of everyone on the roster, and those who use everyone on the roster to beat the hell out of sephiroth. :smalltongue:

That is SO true :smalltongue:
I'd probably fall into the bolded group :smallbiggrin:
I'm fully going to do both of those now though! :smallsmile:

Enlong
2008-10-02, 10:43 PM
That is SO true :smalltongue:
I'd probably fall into the bolded group :smallbiggrin:
I'm fully going to do both of those now though! :smallsmile:Bah, there should be a third group: People who use Kefka to beat the crap out of every other boss in the series. And Sephiroth. Twice.

elementalist
2008-10-03, 05:56 AM
You what they didn't show cloud? It's because if they show cloud in 1st place the focus of the fans is from cloud. So the point is they will never get attention from the other roster. Everyone knows cloud is the famous character from all final fantasy.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-04, 01:13 PM
And Vivi, because you have to lack a soul not to like Vivi.

Crap! I didn't know I didn't have a soul!! But I guess that explains a few things... :smallsigh::smallfrown:

elementalist
2008-10-08, 05:18 AM
I list it up that every month they will reveal a new characters in dissidia:

October- Bartz Klauser and Exdeath

November- Terra Branford and Kefka Palazzo

December- Cloud Strife and Sephiroth

elementalist
2008-10-12, 09:47 AM
As you can see everyone all 20 characters of dissidia has now confirmed

This the characters of final fantasy dissidia:

FF1- Warrior of Light vs Garland
FF2- Frionel vs Emperor Mateus Palamecia
FF3- Onion Knight vs Cloud of Darkness
FF4- Cecil Harvey vs Golbeza
FF5- Butz Klauser vs Exdeath
FF6- Tina Branford vs Cefca Palazzo
FF7- Cloud Strife vs Sephiroth
FF8- Squall Leonhart vs Ultimecia
FF9- Zidane Tribal vs Kuja
FF10- Tidus vs Jecht

There will also said that there will 25 characters playable which means that 5 characters will be unlockables

I'm guesting that it might be zack, ramza, vaan and if has a boss, it think is cosmos and chaos.

Oregano
2008-10-12, 09:53 AM
If they're going to have secret unlockables I demand Bahamut be one as well as Ultima Weapon!

elementalist
2008-10-12, 10:05 AM
I also list up the ex-mode of every characters.

Warrior of Light- Can change into a second form job class Knight.
Garland- Body armor become a rune make him very high attack and defense.

Frionel-?
Emperor Mateus Palamecia- Turn into a demonic emperor has seen in the end of the trailer.

Onion Knight- Change his job class between ninja and sage.
Cloud of Darkness- Turn into a green skin like in the original snes version.

Cecil Harvey- In his Paladin mode his staff turn into a sword.
Golbeza- Able to fuse from a shadow dragon.

Butz Klauser- Surrounding him a floating swords.
Exdeath-?

Tina Branford- Transform a esper.
Cefca Palazzo-?

Cloud Strife-?
Sephiroth-?

Squall Leonhart- Change his gunblade into lionheart the most powerful weapon of squall in FF8.
Ultimecia- Junction between her and griever.

Zidane Tribal- Transform into trance zidane.
Kuja- Transform into trance kuja.

Tidus- Change his sword either brotherhood or caladog.
Jecht- Change a final aeon.

elementalist
2008-10-12, 10:07 AM
I dont have a psp but i want to buy in order to play this game.

elementalist
2008-10-13, 01:11 AM
As i list up the ex-mode of the roster, I think the other roster has never been reveal there ex-mode.

Here what i think

Firion- Change his weapons into a powerful weapon in the original final fantasy 2.
Exdeath- Transform into neo exdeath (maybe not).
Kefka- An angel godlike from the original final fantasy 6.
Cloud- Transform his sword into a ultima weapon.
Sephiroth- Safer Sephiroth.

elementalist
2008-10-15, 06:59 PM
I have read an article that bartz can able to mimic the sword of every characters that he battle. Also exdeath's ex-mode can trasform into a tree form like in the final fantasy 5.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-10-27, 11:39 PM
This game is the reason I will be buying a PSP. And praying for a good, fast translation (damn not being able to speak Japanese!). I mean, the plot is basically "The heroes and villains of FF's 1 through 10 all get pulled into some alternate universe and have cage matches." Seriously, is there anything about that premise that isn't awesome?

Enlong
2008-11-25, 02:09 AM
So, I looked up some of the characters that are gonna be playable in Dissida, and found some interesting stuff. Among this is the fact that Bartz looks like he's almost a parody of Final Fantasy V's near-broken job system. He's a mime, but he can use just about anyone's weapon: And I mean anyone, he's been seen with the Buster Sword, Squall's Gunblade, and others. And his EX Burst? "Rapid-Fire Dual-Wield Spellblades" I am not kidding, that's the actual name for his attack.

I wouldn't have done it any differently myself, would you? There's some rediculously cool stuff coming from this game.

Xefas
2008-11-25, 02:24 AM
Having just read up on everything I could find about the game, I'm sort of disappointed that I haven't found anything about there being unlockable content.

I mean, I love the current roster and everything, and unlockable content isn't a must for a game...but I was hoping for unlockable Ramza (and possibly unlockable Gaffgarion, Ultima, or Delita for the antagonist).

Enlong
2008-11-25, 02:41 AM
Well then, perhaps I should introduce you to Dissida's first secret character, and its first FFXI character (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shantotto#Dissidia_-Final_Fantasy-).

Nerd-o-rama
2008-11-25, 02:59 AM
Seriously, is there anything about that premise that isn't awesome?No Celes.

Probably.

Xefas
2008-11-25, 03:04 AM
Well then, perhaps I should introduce you to Dissida's first secret character, and its first FFXI character (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shantotto#Dissidia_-Final_Fantasy-).

Well...oh snap, then! I can't believe I missed that, considering I frequent that site quite a bit.

Still hoping for Ramza, though. I don't think I've spent more time with any other Final Fantasy character. First in the PS1 game, and then more recently on the PSP. I worked until I had 5 Dark Knights in the PSP game (one of which was Ramza himself).

Five.

That means mastering the Black Mage class five times. That's...what? 36500 job points total? And then mastering the Knight class five times? Only a measily 12000 job points. 'course, then there's the "easy part" of getting 6 advanced classes to max level.

But I had it in the end...

DarkKnight/Ramza-Squire
DarkKnight/Black Mage
DarkKnight/White Mage
DarkKnight/Time Mage
DarkKnight/Samurai

*Twitch*...anyway, so I'm attached to him as a character.

Enlong
2008-11-25, 03:33 AM
Yipes. That's....
Creating the perfect party in FFV doesn't even compare.
Even if you have a dual-wielding rapid-fire spellblader, two dualcasting mimes, and a hardcore Chemist/Blue Mage. Not even close.
That's Final Fantasy Tactics, right? Main Character, I'm guessing? Maybe he'll get in, I dunno.

Oh yeah, I was wrong before about Cecil's EX mode, the switching between Dark Knight and Paladin is at-will now (looks like Cecil got another powerup), and his EX Burst has him class-shift rapidly.

Man, all of the EX modes look sweet: Terra's got her Esper Form, Onion Knight becomes the most broken classes in his game, and Kefka goes Purple Angel. Life is good.

icantdrawrocks
2008-11-25, 06:30 AM

Hahahahahaha, seriously?? I love Shantotto!

The thought of beating Sephiroth to a pulp with Shantotto is almost enough to make me get a PSP. Almost.