PDA

View Full Version : The Search for a Mysterious Genesis/MD game...

Saithis Bladewing
2008-09-11, 11:10 AM
So, I was having a conversation with a friend...

[16:58] Him: i had this game
[16:58] Him: on uh
[16:58] Him: sega megadrive
[16:59] Saithis Kilanyia Bladewing: Don't know the name?
[16:59] Him: (wewt!)
[16:59] Him: um
[16:59] Him: and it somehow got lost or given away
[16:59] Him: and i was too young to realise that you should learn names
[17:00] Him: MEH
[17:00] Him: im starting to realise how impossible it will be to somehow describe it to you -_-
[17:00] Him: yeah
[17:00] Him: oh well
[17:00] Him: tis annoying
[17:00] Saithis Kilanyia Bladewing: xD
[17:00] Saithis Kilanyia Bladewing: Try.
[17:00] Saithis Kilanyia Bladewing: What was it like?
[17:00] Him: worst thing is
[17:00] Him: i never finished it
[17:00] Him: there was this one spot
[17:00] Him: that i NEVER got past
[17:00] Him: and i NEED to do it
[17:00] Saithis Kilanyia Bladewing: What do you do in it?
[17:01] Him: im guessing a mario clone sorta thing
[17:01] Him: okay well it was a sidescrolling platformer
[17:01] Him: i can remmeber two
[17:01] Him: and i cant remember how to spell
[17:01] Him: ever stage had a different theme
[17:01] Him: um
[17:01] Saithis Kilanyia Bladewing: Hm.
[17:01] Him: there was a pyramid, and mumified corpses stumbled around ( wow this sounds like every game ever)
[17:01] Him: and then
[17:01] Him: and there was a log bridge
[17:01] Him: was in a forest
[17:01] Him: the next one
[17:01] Him: with lava underneath it
[17:01] Him: that spurted up
[17:02] Him: and bees
[17:02] Him: the bridge with the lava and the bees
[17:02] Him: is where i was stuck
[17:02] Him: FOREVER
[17:02] Him: hence i remember it
[17:04] Him: i rage about this every 8 - 12 months

I poked around but couldn't find anything like what he's described. Now he's got me curious. As vague and incomplete as his description is, I can't expect to find anything, but maybe it'll spark some ideas in someone...so I turn to GitP. What do you think, does the playground have any ideas?

Tormsskull
2008-09-11, 11:32 AM
What do you think, does the playground have any ideas?

Honestly, probably way too obvious, but Sonic the Hedgehog jumped into my head when I read mario clone. A search on bees lava bridge did give something related to sonic, though thats not really conclusive.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-09-11, 11:59 AM
Yeah, way too obvious, and the convo started after we were talking about Sonic. :P

I've checked the wikipedia games list and nothing matches. He's really got me curious now. It's probably some rare game that's hardly been seen. Now I have to know if it's a hidden jewel or a flop!

Oregano
2008-09-11, 12:06 PM
Is it one of the wonderboy games, they were platformer IIRC.

I don't know any particular about the games though, just that they were platformers.

Fri
2008-09-11, 01:02 PM
Wonderboy isn't a simple platformer/mario clone. It's a now-rare platformer RPG. You know, where you kill monster for gold, buy equipment and potion, and travel the somewhat not-too-linear gameworld but you do it from sideview.

And I remember wonderboy don't even have stages.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-09-11, 01:18 PM
Yeah, definitely not Wonderboy, I'd have recognized it if it was. :P

*Is a bit of a Wonderboy geek.*

Sadly, my collection of rare PLATFORMERS is defunct...I'm not sure where to start. I'm just hoping to stumble upon someone who has like, every Genesis game ever. :smallbiggrin:

Cainen
2008-09-11, 01:54 PM
Chameleon Kid?

Saithis Bladewing
2008-09-11, 02:00 PM
Hmmm, it's a possibility but I'm not sure. I'll check up with him next time he's online. Never heard of it myself. xD Watching the YT videos right now, looks similar to what he's described.

Tormsskull
2008-09-11, 02:16 PM
I'm just hoping to stumble upon someone who has like, every Genesis game ever. :smallbiggrin:

I actually have a lot of them, but I was never into those types of games. My collection is mostly RPGs, action, and sports games.

Fri
2008-09-11, 06:43 PM
My collection of genesis games (and the genesis itself apparantly) is mysteriously lost.

Seriously, I don't remember selling them, donating them, or giving them to someone.

They just... disappear... And I can't remember how. Maybe a repressed memory? Laser guided amnesia?

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-11, 08:34 PM
I doubt it would be Rocketknight.....
I'am 100% it wouldn't be Mickey's amazing circus...
I doubt it'd be Goofy's Hystorical adventure...
Jerrausic park is out

Maybe it'd be
Dino Rikki? No clue otherwise.. I'll look more though

Hunter Noventa
2008-09-11, 09:25 PM
Chameleon Kid?

You mean Kid Chameleon, an awesome, if horrifically difficult game. I don't think it's what he was talking about though.

Holammer
2008-09-12, 05:55 AM
Most vague description, EVER!
How about Decap Attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decap_Attack)? Best guess I have.

Prustan
2008-09-12, 06:19 AM
Somewhat related question - does anyone know what this Sega Saturn (least I'm pretty sure it was Saturn) game is called, and where in New Zealand I might be able to get a copy, with console.
Turn-based tactical RPG, with small bunch of fantasy type characters. Intro scene had the party facing off against some BBEG. BBEG launched off some great big attack, and party figured he was too powerful and escaped. Party travelled through a forest, defeating monsters along the way, before finding the level boss (can't beat him) and getting captured. Then I had to leave my cousin's place just as a couple of new characters spring the party from their cell.
Been years since I played it, and I think the name had something to do with Samurai, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

The Great Skenardo
2008-09-12, 06:59 AM
Albert Odyssey, Perhaps? It depends on how many characters you got in your party.

Wraith
2008-09-12, 07:55 AM
[17:01] Him: im guessing a mario clone sorta thing
[17:01] Him: okay well it was a sidescrolling platformer
[17:01] Him: i can remmeber two
[17:01] Him: and i cant remember how to spell
[17:01] Him: ever stage had a different theme
[17:01] Him: um
[17:01] Saithis Kilanyia Bladewing: Hm.
[17:01] Him: there was a pyramid, and mumified corpses stumbled around ( wow this sounds like every game ever)

From the description above, I immediately thought of either Bubsy the Bobcat 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwhRqgQSbE) or Rolo to the Rescue (http://www.mobygames.com/game/rolo-to-the-rescue). They both fit every part of that description so far, and they were both very hard.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-09-12, 08:08 AM
Aha, apparently Decap Attack on a Google Image search led him to stray across a familiar image. It wasn't Decap Attack at all, but he seems to have discovered the varmint...

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle. I don't seem to recall AK games being all that hard, but maybe it was just me. :smallsigh: :smalltongue: I guess that means this search is over...at least he could have fallen in love with a rarer and more interesting platformer. :smalleek: Ah well, the things people discover when they're like, 5... :smalltongue:

I was never a big fan of Alex Kidd...glad they replaced him with Sonic. :P

Fri
2008-09-12, 01:44 PM
While we're at it, can you guys identify this game?

It's a sidescrolling platformer, I guess. We control a mech. And I remember we started in the moon. First nothing happened, then suddenly there's a bombardment. After the bombardment was finished, then we started the game for real.

The mech is something in the line of... exo squad or mechwarrior I guess. I mean, it was western styled mech. And I remember we can choose our weapon for each mission.

Saithis Bladewing
2008-09-12, 01:59 PM
Cyborg Justice is the only game that even remotely pops to mind here, but it doesn't sound like the same one.

Cainen
2008-09-12, 04:54 PM
The mech is something in the line of... exo squad or mechwarrior I guess. I mean, it was western styled mech. And I remember we can choose our weapon for each mission.

Sounds like Assault Suits Valken, though I haven't played it in so long that my memory might be off. US translation's called Cybernator, but there are some pretty significant differences.

Fri
2008-09-13, 06:04 AM
Thanks, you're right. Actually, it's Assault Suit Valken's Predecessor, Assault Suit Leynos, the english version is known as Target Earth. But I found it thanks to you.

And... if we're still at it. What about this one.

A top down shooter, but not with plane. We control, maybe a magician or something. It set in a fantasy world.

The graphic is rather colorful.

It's not gauntlet, because it's a SHMUPS

Wraith
2008-09-13, 06:42 AM
What platform was it on? I can name at least one game per system in the last 15 years that had something like that, starting with Gauntlet in the old ocin-op machines :smalltongue:

Gauntlet, Chaos Engine and the Loaded series all spring immediately to mind.

jamroar
2008-09-13, 08:55 AM
Thanks, you're right. Actually, it's Assault Suit Valken's Predecessor, Assault Suit Leynos, the english version is known as Target Earth. But I found it thanks to you.

And... if we're still at it. What about this one.

A top down shooter, but not with plane. We control, maybe a magician or something. It set in a fantasy world.

The graphic is rather colorful.

It's not gauntlet, because it's a SHMUPS

For the Genesis?

Elemental Master? Twinkle Tale?

Fri
2008-09-13, 09:24 AM
I think it's genesis... maybe. If not genesis then Snes.

But no, not like gauntlet or chaos engine.

It's... a shoot em up. like, you know. Raiden or something. But instead of spaceship or airplane, we controlled a magician.

It's top down. And if my memory serves me well, we're not flying too high. Or maybe we're not even flying, but walking.

edit:

YES! It's twinkle tale. Thanks guys

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2008-09-18, 12:08 PM
Alex Kidd nd the enchanted castle is available on a Sega game collection for the PS2.