PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Game Cutscenes?

Castaras
2008-09-11, 12:12 PM
Exactly what it says on the tin - what would be your favourite Cutscene from a game?

Mine would be the beginning cutscene from Might and Magic VIII (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZspOEnoqtyg).

Not sure why. Maybe it's the pretty graphics, maybe it's the destruction and chaos.

So what're yours?

Shikton
2008-09-11, 12:30 PM
I would say the death of Gremio in Suikoden 1. That was sad. He was annoying up to that point, which I think was the intention of the character, but when he suddenly passes away...well...at least my opinion of him changed. Dramatically. Especially when you read his backstory on Suikosource. I'm probably one of few people on the boards who knows this scene though =P

Crispy Dave
2008-09-11, 12:31 PM
ive always liked the cutscenes in warcraft. Also the cinamatic to WAR is pretty cool same with warhammer 40k

Dragor
2008-09-11, 12:32 PM
When Link first takes out the Master Sword in Ocarina of Time.

Hyer hyer hyer hyer.

Ascension
2008-09-11, 12:39 PM
I generally like cutscenes not so much for their prettiness, although a nice looking cutscene is appreciated, but for their plot advancement.

That being said, I think my favorite cutscene would have to be the one in Tales of Symphonia
where the Journey of Regeneration ends and plot twists start flying like craaaaaaazy. The tension has already been building, what with poor Collete's loss of various sensations, but then wham, it all hits the fan. What? The Angels are evil? What? Kratos is one of them? What? What? WHAT?!? It was a good game before that, but it was a great game after that.

Oregano
2008-09-11, 12:42 PM
I love practically all the cutscenes in Final Fantasy games, I think the intro to FFIV(well the European trailer) is the one that got me the most excited about the game, although Aeris/th's death in FFVII was also a good cutscene. How about the aerial battle in FF9 with Kuja and Bahamut, THAT was awesome.

The Glyphstone
2008-09-11, 12:47 PM
I always cracked up watching the mission briefings from Red Alert 2. In retrospect, ithey're even funnier now that I've found out the "actors" were actually the development team for the game in costumes. I hope the quality of the cheese doesn't go down in RA3 now that they're hiring actual actors for it...

Dihan
2008-09-11, 12:49 PM
Either Kuja leaving Burmecia after getting Beatrix to own Zidane and co., or the whole Bahamut vs Alexander scene. Both from FF9.

Edit: The whole Trance Kuja scene is cool too.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-11, 12:51 PM
In Warcraft 3, when Arthas merges with the Lich King.

BRC
2008-09-11, 12:53 PM
All of them from WCIII, especially

Arthas killing his father and the Death of Hellscream
Starcraft has some pretty good ones, the best undoubtadly being "Thank god for cold fusion".

The Valiant Turtle
2008-09-11, 12:58 PM
Oddly enough, the first game that comes to mind for me is Homeworld. I just loved the style of those, and the narrator's voice was great, really gravelly-sounding.

I might have to get it out tonight if I can find it.

Hzurr
2008-09-11, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure if this is a cutsceen, or merely a "scripted" scene, but the opera from FF6 makes me laugh everytime.

Other good cutsceens are basically all of them from Lego StarWars,

JMobius
2008-09-11, 01:17 PM
Oddly enough, the first game that comes to mind for me is Homeworld. I just loved the style of those, and the narrator's voice was great, really gravelly-sounding.

This, without a doubt.

warty goblin
2008-09-11, 02:26 PM
How can the Dawn of War intro not have been mentioned yet? I mean really, say what you will about plot significance and emotional impact, all other cutscenes lack superhuman mutants chainsawing space orks in half.

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-09-11, 02:35 PM
My top two are

1.) Arthas's homecoming at the end of the human campaign in Warcraft III

2.) The mothership's homecoming at the beginning of the second mission in Homeworld. Of course Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei (Adagio for Strings) playing the the background helps.

A Rainy Knight
2008-09-11, 02:41 PM
Probably the opening of Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. It's something along the lines of "Oh look, it's a pretty beach... wait, there's some sort of rip in the sky... a ton of bombers coming out-OH NO! Earth's getting bombed to smithereens!"

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-11, 02:46 PM
Starcraft and WC3 both had some good ones, I agree. But my favourite comes from a more recent game.

Namely Mass Effect. No, it's not the sex scene, get your minds out of the gutter :smalltongue:. It's the space battle sequences around the final boss fight. All of those, and the bits inside the citadel with Saren. And let's throw in the part with the Mako and a smallish Mass Relay just for kicks.

You know what? Screw it. ALL the cutscenes in that game are epic.

Tormsskull
2008-09-11, 02:48 PM
I'm probably one of few people on the boards who knows this scene though =P

I know it. Great game!

Three of my favorite cut scenes:

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver opener. When Kain tells his vampire lieutenants to cast Raziel into the Oblivion. Very awesome (that whole game is awesome).

And second, Heroes of Might and Magic, Restoration of Erathia, opening scene. When Queen Catherine arrives to find a destroyed city and pictures in her head how the battle may have gone.

World of Warcraft's opening scene is pretty sweet too, especially the Night Elf Druid woman that changes into cat form.

Psychotic
2008-09-11, 02:55 PM
The entirety length of Metal Gear Solid 4...Okay, bad joke.

Project_Mayhem
2008-09-11, 02:59 PM
Every single cutscene in skull-monkeys.

Headless_Ninja
2008-09-11, 03:15 PM
The intro to Deus Ex: Invisible War. Much better than the game it preceded.

Cespenar
2008-09-11, 03:25 PM
All of Starcraft, Diablo II and Warcraft III. What do you mean they were done by the same company? Surely that must be a coincidence...

Texas Jedi
2008-09-11, 03:39 PM
I like the ending of the Might and Magic IV Darkside of Xeen (sp).

I also love the real ending to Dragon Quest VIII (love a good love story).

The Starcraft cutscene with the Zerg and the Sergeant on patrol.

I love the scene in WCII with the knight sneaking up on the catapult and destroying the blimp.

I love every cutscene from Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross.

I love to laugh at the scene from FFVI when Celes tries to kill herself if you let Cid die.

I love the scene and I am shocked and appalled that nobody mentioned it sooner in KOTOR when you find out you are Darth Revan

I like the true endings of Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3

Bryn
2008-09-11, 05:33 PM
The Warhammer: Mark of Chaos intro by Digic Pictures (http://www.digicpictures.com/dataeng/pager.htm).
The Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War intro by Blur Studio (they took it down from the interwebs, so search Youtube if you haven't seen it)
This (http://uk.gamespy.com/video/sv.html?dlURL=movies.gamespy.com/columns/video/article/771/771937/WC3_ArthasBetrayal_flvlow.flv&article_ID=771937), by whoever did the CGI for Blizzard's Warcraft III. (That copy is very small for some reason, it wasn't before)
The Starcraft II cinematic trailer (http://eu.starcraft2.com/movies.xml) by whoever did Blizzard's CGI.

You might notice a theme here.

potatocubed
2008-09-11, 05:36 PM
If I had to pick one, it'd be Diablo II.

LeonardQuirm
2008-09-11, 05:39 PM
I always cracked up watching the mission briefings from Red Alert 2. In retrospect, ithey're even funnier now that I've found out the "actors" were actually the development team for the game in costumes. I hope the quality of the cheese doesn't go down in RA3 now that they're hiring actual actors for it...

I haven't played Red Alert 2, so can't comment, but from the looks of the trailers to 3, they haven't - or at least, not in the ones with the Allied generals! The Soviet scientist parts could be from a semi-serious SF thing, but lines like "they are against everything we stand for! Freedom! Liberty! Apple-pie! ...did I mention freedom?" looked pretty promising...

Oh, and it's got Jonathan Pryce in it. I want the game, just for that fact. Unfortunately I don't think my laptop'll be up to it...

Darth Mario
2008-09-11, 05:41 PM
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Tea Party from SSBB Subspace Emissary yet.

DraPrime
2008-09-11, 05:43 PM
I loved the cutscene from Starcraft that had the marines planting a bomb on the zerg infested science facility. The marines are so entertaining with their behavior, and combat is always cool to watch.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-09-11, 06:07 PM
I can't think right now. I should be playing WAR.:smallwink:

Speaking of which, I know they arn't cut scenes, but the two WAR (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_Yn4popJA) Cinematics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOhzfkCdbY) are amazing. Watch them if you have not. Very Pretty.

Watch in High Quality, so much better.

As for actual cutscenes, Diablo 2 is pretty good in that department.

theMycon
2008-09-11, 09:41 PM
As per my namesake, I have to go with a few from SCII (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/)
When you tell the Korh-ah "the words"
Meeting Fwiffo
And the ending scene (of course, it's less revolutionary now than it was 14 years ago... still hilarious)

But my true favorites are from Working Designs games
Meeting Sven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLgK3ZHgNxQ) from Popful Mail

From Lunar: Eternal Blue, the "You're putting true love on the altar of trust and spitting on it" one, where you finally realize Lucia is merely the evil that's on your side.

Haruki-kun
2008-09-11, 09:49 PM
Warning: Kingdom Hearts I spoilers.

This scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiI_kA9XQoc)

AlterForm
2008-09-11, 09:58 PM
Both from Tales of Symphonia; both for humor reasons.

1: "Feel the pain! Of those inferior beings! As you burn in hell!"
2: "What is this ominous light that threatens to engulf us?!?"

Runner up goes to (ToS spoilers)
the scene with Volt after he fries Corrine. A lot of people seem to hate it, but I think if you hit the A button with the right rhythm the scene has a great pacing speed and awesome power with the delivery of Sheena's lines.

Actually, I think all the cutscenes (minus the ones where they try to animate the characters beyond basic movement) from ToS are awesome.

NO, WAIT! :smalleek:

Okami. Any scene where Amaterasu starts to lose interest or gets confused; especially the scene with Rau where Ammy gets the best "bewbies!1!" look ever. :smalltongue:

Ascension
2008-09-11, 10:27 PM
Actually, I think all the cutscenes (minus the ones where they try to animate the characters beyond basic movement) from ToS are awesome.

I definitely agree with this. I think it's the best console RPG I've played, period.

With the Volt thing, though... I'm not so much in agreement. I found the "walk along these narrow paths in the dark" part of his temple so freakin' annoying I was just ready to get things OVER WITH once I actually reached him. That, and I didn't really like Sheena all that much anyway... *ducks to avoid fanboy-flung debris*

Also, random tangent, is that the hero from Golden Sun in your avatar? I loved those games!

AlterForm
2008-09-11, 10:31 PM
I definitely agree with this. I think it's the best console RPG I've played, period.

With the Volt thing, though... I'm not so much in agreement. I found the "walk along these narrow paths in the dark" part of his temple so freakin' annoying I was just ready to get things OVER WITH once I actually reached him. That, and I didn't really like Sheena all that much anyway... *ducks to avoid fanboy-flung debris*

Also, random tangent, is that the hero from Golden Sun in your avatar? I loved those games!

Yeah, the darkness was a bit annoying. I just turned the contrast up on my TV and screwed the lightning. :smallamused:

Also...GOLDEN SUN 3! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAMELOT PLEASE!!!

Ascension
2008-09-11, 10:42 PM
Also...GOLDEN SUN 3! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAMELOT PLEASE!!!

I'LL GIVE MY KIDNEYS FOR IT! YES, BOTH OF THEM!!!

Kane
2008-09-11, 10:51 PM
The end of Prince of Persia, Sands of time. When you realize who he's telling the story to.

I would spoiler tag and list the ending, but I figure everyone has at least heard of it. If you haven't, you need to stop, put your mouse and keyboard down, and go and play this. Gamecube version, preferably. NOW.

shadowxknight
2008-09-11, 11:28 PM
For those people who doesn't have a PSP, you are missing out on THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgBcb9KQ4vM&feature=related)

I also liked the Human Ending and Protoss Ending to the original Warcraft 3 and Starcraft, respectively.

Kyeudo
2008-09-11, 11:51 PM
No one's mentioned Devil May Cry? I've only played 3 and 4, but those cutscenes are made of pure awesome.

Zarah
2008-09-11, 11:53 PM
The end of Prince of Persia, Sands of time. When you realize who he's telling the story to.

Agreed, although I managed to figure it out right before they revealed it.

Oh, and the last cinematic in the game is pretty good. The Prince's last line left me with a smile.

Jade Falcon
2008-09-12, 01:01 AM
The obligatory mentions from Blizzard games:

- Diablo 2, end of act II

- Warcraft 3, end of the human campaign

- Starcraft Brood war, the intro

so, that is covered. Some of my other favorites:

- Thief: The Dark Project. Every cutscene in the whole game

- Total Annihilation, the intro. The german version has the voice of Sean Connery as narrator

- Emperor: Battle for Dune. For fans of the David Lynch movie.

- Aquanox 2 Revelation, the intro

- Fallout, the intro. "War .. War never changes."

Brother Oni
2008-09-12, 02:07 AM
Final Fantasy X, the Sending CG scene after Sin attacks Besaid.

All very pretty with the twilight, Yuna dancing on the water and the vocal chanting of the Hymn of the Fayth, until you realise she's doing a funeral rite which adds an emotional intensity to the scene that I can't quite put into words.

factotum
2008-09-12, 02:16 AM
No-one old enough to remember this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWkw_Bh6Qo

I think that was probably the first 3D rendered cutscene I ever saw (it predated Tomb Raider by at least a year), and what's not to like about it? Cool music, great FX (for the time), and a dragon getting its butt kicked...

Eldan
2008-09-12, 08:08 AM
Do the spells from Planescape: Torment count? If yes,
Mechanus Cannon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZZEPoVb4c)

and
Symbol of Torment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn58158ygXI&feature=related)

SITB
2008-09-12, 08:25 AM
From the SNES game Live A Live:

1) Orsted finally announcing his hatred of the world casting off his humanity and becoming the Demon King Odio

2)The enire last chapter where you choose to play as Orsted.

And from the PS2 game Soul Nomad And The World Eaters; Demon path spoliers:

The bad end of the Demon path. "I don't care. It was fun"

AmberVael
2008-09-12, 09:35 AM
Almost any Soul Reaver 2 cutscene (and the opening from the first game, and some from the third game). Seriously- that game is amazing.
That goes double for any scene with Kain in it. :smalltongue: