PDA

View Full Version : Destro Yersul's Dangerously Distracting and Doubtlessly Disturbing Random Banter #103

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Ranna
2008-09-25, 04:32 PM
only thing I can think of is a really deep subduction zone? Just before the plate turns molten and melts into the mantle....

DraPrime
2008-09-25, 04:34 PM
Does any one know a reason that a deep focus earthquaker(below 70km) could occur?

I may make a homework help thread, I think there's been one before.

EDIT:The 80s were awesome.

I have a definitive eighties CD, my favourite song is either A Little Respect by Erasure or Take On Me by A-Ha.

Aren't there plumes of heat in the mantle that build up pressure or something? Honestly I'm not quite sure. I learned this 2 years ago, and never payed attention anyways.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 04:36 PM
Does any one know a reason that a deep focus earthquaker(below 70km) could occur?

I may make a homework help thread, I think there's been one before.

EDIT:The 80s were awesome.

I have a definitive eighties CD, my favourite song is either A Little Respect by Erasure or Take On Me by A-Ha.

Tectonic shift? SUdden relief of pressure between the plates could cause one. Geh; I knew this once upon a secondary school.

And no Queen? No Glam Rock? Shame on thee Spiceboy. Shame upon thy chocobo. Get thee hence to YouTube and listen to Sweet; T Rex; Mudd and so forth.

]A little less conversation
A little more action please
That one? I thought Elvis had a song similar to that.

Oregano
2008-09-25, 04:37 PM
That might eb a reason Dragonprime, but I'm not too sure, but that's how the volcano's in the mid pacific(polynesia IIRC) are formed.

For it to be a really deep subduction zone(Benioff zone is the proper term methinks) it would have to be a really dense Oceanic plate and/or a dense Continental plate.

EDIT: There's no Queen on the CD and of course I like Queen, I have all their albums! I don't listen to much Glam Rock though, but I'm pretty much indifferent to it.

I like Arena Rock, like Boston and Foreigner and some of Journey(Don't Stop Believing FTW).

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-25, 04:43 PM
Ready Steve?
uh-huh
Andy?
yeah
Mick?
ok
Alright Fellas, let's goooooo!

*Boogies*

How's that for ye, Curly? :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2008-09-25, 04:44 PM
I just discovered how delicious the abominations that are energy drinks can be. I just drank a coffee flavored Monster, and I loved it, even though it will probably give me cancer and shrink my junk :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 04:50 PM
Ready Steve?
uh-huh
Andy?
yeah
Mick?
ok
Alright Fellas, let's goooooo!

*Boogies*

How's that for ye, Curly? :smallbiggrin:

BALLROOM BLITZ!

Oh it's been getting so hard
Livin' with the things you do to me, aha
Oh my dreams are getting so strange
I'd like to tell you everything I see
Oh, I see a man at the back
As a matter of fact his eyes are red as the sun
And a girl in the corner let no one ignore her
'Cause she thinks she's the passionate one

I also really like Dynamite (by . . . Mudd methinks); Crazy, Cat Crept In[I] and more by Mudd and Sweet. I heartily recommend [I]Little Willy by Sweet as well. And Alexander Graham Bell. Also by Sweet.
Peppermint Twist (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XkhJA0oYa3g&feature=related) will inevitably have you singing the hook the The Twist's tune no matter what you try to do.

@Oregano: good on the Queen love. Very bad on the indifference to Glam Rock. It's so fun and catchy; and you can sing along. And there's no stupid angsty/gangsta lyrics to any of them.

Oregano
2008-09-25, 04:57 PM
I am indifferent to the notion that it is bad to be indifferent to Glam Rock.

Most of my music is eighties come to think of it, Most of the Cure music I have, most of INXS, Most of the Police, some of Guns n Roses, some of REM.99 Luftballons(German version) and various others that I'm having trouble thinking of(my musics all over the place on my pc).

The rest is mostly 90s music, with some 70s and a few 00s albums and songs.

Phase
2008-09-25, 04:58 PM
Well, tomorrow marks the last day in what I call "The Port".
Every year, from the end of September to the end of October, my school changes from a large, unbroken, chunk of education to a broken up series of one-to-two day a week sessions. It feels like an Atoll of learning, and it's really terrible, I always get accustomed to being on break, but then I'm suddenly working, then I'm not.

Why they can't just give us the month off, I don't know.

Lyesmith
2008-09-25, 05:19 PM
OH MY GOD BALLROOM BLITZ

I love that song. Aced it on Rock band, opting for singing 'cause the drums are confusing and the 'tar had allready been called.

I'm going to be humming that tune all night, damn you!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-25, 05:24 PM
OH MY GOD BALLROOM BLITZ

I love that song. Aced it on Rock band, opting for singing 'cause the drums are confusing and the 'tar had allready been called.

I'm going to be humming that tune all night, damn you!

Thank you, thank you. I exist to give people ear worms. And to read, write and help people with their homework.
Mostly eading though.

Quincunx
2008-09-25, 06:19 PM
<--My ears are not in the '80s in the moment.

As much as I may hate loneliness, it does mean I can canter around and posture to my music (in lieu of dancing) and not get looked at strangely, or worse, reeled in and suppressed. Perhaps it's the smile.

SMEE
2008-09-25, 06:36 PM
Lecture is done... now to wait the plane.

And many thanks to Ceika for the fabulous rendition of Botticelli's Birth of Venus.

Skippy
2008-09-25, 06:37 PM
Hey guys.

I got to work today, only to discover today was my day off. And I had to walk under the rain for 20 minutes to get there. And it rained a lot on my way back home, too.

At least now I'm here and I can finish watching Heroes.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-25, 06:58 PM
Hey guys.

I got to work today, only to discover today was my day off. And I had to walk under the rain for 20 minutes to get there. And it rained a lot on my way back home, too.

At least now I'm here and I can finish watching Heroes.

… on the plus side, it's your day off! :smallbiggrin:

dish
2008-09-25, 09:19 PM
Lecture is done... now to wait the plane.[/QUOTE
Hope your flight(s) is/are as comfortable as possible.

I still want to know how on earth you manage to give an 8-hour lecture without collapsing?

[QUOTE]And many thanks to Ceika for the fabulous rendition of Botticelli's Birth of Venus.
As I said before, that avvie is adoreable.

SMEE
2008-09-25, 10:10 PM
I still want to know how on earth you manage to give an 8-hour lecture without collapsing?

As I said before, that avvie is adoreable.

I was being very well paid for each of those hours, so I had to make it happen.
I'm used to lecture people on using this system. Did that many times.

Lemur
2008-09-25, 10:23 PM
Tch.
I've been listening to Run Runaway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHoPYLQvnQM&feature=related) at least fifteen times a day.
Addictive song. But so much fun. And Noddy looks like Tom Baker in the video as well.

Hmm, maybe I can use this to get Supernova (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXSJfjlcK0) out of my head. God damned Engrish lyrics.

Jibar
2008-09-26, 12:50 AM
*picks up heavy brick*
*weighs it in his hand*
*finds he likes the weight*
*beats his friend's head in*
Next time you want to do a rap, you are writing the bloody thing, or at the very booping list, making more of an effort to help with it!

SLEEP

I WANT SLEEEEEP

(Lola was good by the by. At the workshop they taught us to flamenco dance. Yay!)

Lyesmith
2008-09-26, 01:53 AM
I finished Nation last night!
at 49 minutes past 12.

Don' wanna go to school. Tired!:smallannoyed:
Also, we apparently has psych homework. I didnt bloody get it! Stupid quiet teacher.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-26, 01:59 AM
I often listen to a few songs a lot ( Protection by Massive Atack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIp--5E3AbY) and Drive by The Cars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBLGlb-MOGg)are 2 which I've been listening to a lot lately.)

Nychta
2008-09-26, 03:37 AM
My friend found a fairly awesome Mexican band called Panda.

Narcisista por Excelencia (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=NziUZTSg0x4)

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-26, 03:49 AM
Well, I just paid my deposit for the London trip. I am offically going to London. Now all I have to do is get my receipt seen by the organiser; finish off my personal statement by . . . oh, half ten or so and hand that in for final draft.
At least French Teacher's away.

@SMEE: glad your lecture went well.

@'zira: good lad. Did you like it? Was the little blue hermit crab as sad as we made out? And going to bed at ten to one's no bad thing. I used to go to bed after that. About half one once; and it was on a Wednesday too.
Then again, I have an hour bus ride to nap. Maybe you don't.

bosssmiley
2008-09-26, 04:16 AM
Does any one know a reason that a deep focus earthquake (below 70km) could occur?

Chthonians? Nuclear explosions to restart core rotation? Angry Derro and Morlock gangfights? Other than that I'm stumped. :smallamused:

I just discovered how delicious the abominations that are energy drinks can be. I just drank a coffee flavored Monster, and I loved it, even though it will probably give me cancer and shrink my junk :smallbiggrin:

But, on the bright side, you are now TOO ENERGETIC FOR NORMAL SPORTS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk) :smallwink:

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-26, 05:50 AM
Life stinks. More accurately, Princeton stinks.

Apparently, Princeton does not accept students into summer research program unless they are American citizens, permanent residents or foreign students studying in an American education institution.

I'm on my way to burning Princeton to the ground. Anyone wanna join me?

Quincunx
2008-09-26, 06:28 AM
While doubting the amount of overlap between the average Princeton student and the average forum layabout, I'll join in, if only to keep the minor north-south war which is New Jersey stoked. For the gardened half of the Garden State--CHAAAAAARGE!

*charges*
*stops*
*pays road toll*
*charges*
*another tollbooth*
*and another*

Going to run out of change at this rate. . .

--former resident at exit 2

randman22222
2008-09-26, 07:04 AM
Ho hum. I haven't been around much lately. School work.
But now I've got about a week and a half off of school. What to do while here... What to do? :smallconfused:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-26, 07:40 AM
Sure, I'll join in. Fancy stuck up unis not letting everyone who wants to go go.
*readies the army*
*attacks*
I get their libraries though.

Today's been a blessful mix of good things and bad. very bad.
Good: got my place on the London trip. Had no French lecture (did my French homweork due in today; did some of the work set for today); had no Classics lecture. E Lit rocked.
Bad: our essay that we were told to hand in 'Monday' when we have no lesson; remember that? Naturally, noone did any work for it yesterday.
Well today, the work set was 'finalise and type up in neat your essay and hand in by the end of the day.'
Yep.
And noone'd done more than write the title down. So cue panic. I only have 700 odd words but because Classics Lecturer wants it double spaced I've just hit my third page. But the way I see it, it's not an essay unless it's over 900 words minimum. And for this topic, we haven't even really covered it much in class.
We know how she sets up a main them, but not really how she advances the plot. At least I've read the introductory essay to the play and can think agilely on my feet.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-26, 07:43 AM
Sure, I'll join in. Fancy stuck up unis not letting everyone who wants to go go.

Well, when you put it that way, my vendetta really sounds petty. :smalltongue:

The problem is, I never thought of anywhere else. But now Princeton is out of the question, my next bet is Harvard, which is really unlikely to accept me.

Oregano
2008-09-26, 07:50 AM
@randman: spend your time listening to awesome eighties music, especially the police.:smallwink:

@Curly: That sucks about the essay, I'm aim to get between 900 and 1100 words if it's an "essay", that's pretty hard for me because I tend to say soemthing in one sentence that people make a paragraph to convey it.

@Bosssmiley: Shush, we're not supposed to know about any of those and luckily my geography tutor explained it today and we now have till monday(Even though I'd already done it).

About the Princeton thing, I'll offer morale suppost and make posters as propaganda for the war.

EDIT: Apparently someone that went my school got practically perfect results for GCSEs and A levels and Oxbridge denied her entrance because of the area she's from(well that's what I got told but I've actually seen some of her work and it's perfect).

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-26, 07:50 AM
Well, when you put it that way, my vendetta really sounds petty. :smalltongue:

The problem is, I never thought of anywhere else. But now Princeton is out of the question, my next bet is Harvard, which is really unlikely to accept me.

Petty is fun. Eventually many vendettas are for petty things. There was a war over an ear once. The War of Jenkins' Ear. You can't really be pettier than causing a war over the sake of an ear can you?
Why wouldn't Harvard accept you?
And why those two places in the first place? Tried England yet?

EDIT:
Just hit 902 words. And ten minutes before I leave the computer to eat on the way to Med His and drop off my essay in his tray. I bless my typing speed and ability to be very verbose while saying what I want to concisely.
Knew this summer on the internet would benefit me. So yah, boo, sucks to you parents. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-26, 07:52 AM
Petty is fun. Eventually many vendettas are for petty things. There was a war over an ear once. The War of Jenkins' Ear. You can't really be pettier than causing a war over the sake of an ear can you?
Why wouldn't Harvard accept you?
And why those two places in the first place? Tried England yet?

England... umm... no. See, England has this really weird educational system where college is something like high school and not college. And don't know many universities in England famed for life sciences rather than, say, literary and social ones.

EDIT: Harvard won't accept me because I'm a terrible student. :smalltongue:

The Bushranger
2008-09-26, 07:54 AM
New Joisey? Blech. Y'all just let me know as soon as you're out of the state, and I'll solve the problem permamently.

By turning keys.

Captain, I confirm that this launch order is authentic.
I concur, Captain...

:smallamused:

In other news - the catbirds are back!! :smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-26, 07:58 AM
England... umm... no. See, England has this really weird educational system where college is something like high school and not college. And don't know many universities in England famed for life sciences rather than, say, literary and social ones.

EDIT: Harvard won't accept me because I'm a terrible student. :smalltongue:

Life sciences are what now?

And if you were seriously considering asking the whole Princeton thing and that's what, top four or five 'colleges' in America I don't see why not Harvard.

And UK college is roughly equivalent to the last two years of high school except everything you take is an elective.
If an elective's what I think it is.
Actually, UK college is nothing like US high school. Or US college.

Oregano
2008-09-26, 08:02 AM
UK college is harder than US High School(from what I gather anyway) but not as hard as US College.

Although it is really hard if you're not prepared to have six hours homework every night(well that's just at my college so YMMV).

EDIT: I think an Elective is what you think it is, because it's something you choose as far as I know.

Quincunx
2008-09-26, 08:04 AM
YO!
(Extend that 'y' for nearly a second--this is the rallying "Yo!".)
I am trying to conduct a charge here!

TRD, given 'studying at an American education institution', just go enroll at a state university (Rutgers, the one for NJ, suggests itself) and get your permission to study in the U.S. secured before re-applying. That's what the hold-up is y'know, not just that you're not from one of the culturally similar parts of the world. They just don't want to be saddled with the sponsorship paperwork.

Oregano, would this be a denial based on too many applicants from one area a.k.a. disfavored by the postcode lottery (a very high educational standard) or due to lax grading in your area (a very low educational standard)?

Bushranger, we've been taking the enema nozzles of the U.S. for decades now; no tiny suppository missile is going to make a dent. Friggin' frag-fargling rebs. . .

Jack Squat
2008-09-26, 08:05 AM
An elective's just a class that doesn't really count for anything towards our goal, but we want to take anyways. In High School, I was taking the "Academic" path, so wood shop, metal shop, and web page design were electives.

In college, First Aid has nothing to do with my requirements for Computer Science, so it's an elective. Poly Sci however, while not relating to my major, fulfills one of my general education requirements (social science), so it isn't one.

Oregano
2008-09-26, 08:08 AM
It's to due with low grades in the area, although they don't always seem that bad(I for instance got below expectations with 4 As, 8 Bs and a C for GCSES.) and I think it may have to do with crime rates(although I'm probably wrong) as the area has one of the highest in the country.

Jack Squat
2008-09-26, 08:14 AM
Actually from what I understand, it's very possible that the low grades have to do with the high crime rate.

What happens is person A meets group B (in your case chavs, in ours "gagstas") Person A likes the people in Group B, and decides to hang out with them. Intelligence isn't really something to be proud of in the group, in fact, it's almost a point of bragging if you fail. Now, Person A is reasonably smart, but to fit in, he starts failing on purpose. He has now ruined his life to get accepted by this group, and ends up being stuck with them as they steal to get by, because working is for suckers.

I could be way off base with this, but it makes sense from my (outsider) perspective.

Oregano
2008-09-26, 08:17 AM
Yep, that makes sense until you actually talk to the people, because in my school there was a lot of people who you'd think would act stupid and underachieve to be cool, but it didn't happen.

I was by some terms a geek, and I have long hair and listen to rock but I knew all those people and was friends with them and more or less everyone got good grades and they were dissapointed if they got below what they wanted.

It's a stereotype, it works in some situations but I've noticed it's more of the exception than the rule.

That's my personal experience though.[/end incoherent rant]

EDIT: To expand in my experience when a smart person joins an underachieving group, the group goes to them for help and because they're peers they can explain better, this has in most cases I've seen improved the others grades rather than drags the smart person's down.

Quincunx
2008-09-26, 08:20 AM
Discriminating because of crime rates or the like would be flat-out illegal in the U.S. . My best guess is that your slightly deprived area doesn't offer the sort of extracurricular fanaticism which is required for the top tier of schools, whether that be Cambridge or Princeton. There's an outside chance, but unlikely if you say that taking so many GSCEs is usual for your area, that her grades are so far above your area's median that they're suspect. Incidentally, that will be part of the reason I'm aiding the charge to burn Princeton. Superior academic ability does not end at the mid-state line thankyouverymuch!
(at the off-ramp toll booth)
. . .darn it, anyone have a dollar and a quarter I could borrow?

Oregano
2008-09-26, 08:25 AM
They could still discriminate because of crime rates and nto state that's the reason, it would still be iffy. You may be right that they are suspicious.

Of course in my opinion the reason the GCSEs are so bad in my area is because my school has five sets(some have more and some has less):
Set one do higher tier(A-C),
set 2 used to do Intermediate(B-D)
and the Set 3 did either Intermediate or Lower(C-E) depending on the individual's ability,
the two lowest sets did lower no matter what.
Last year or the year before the exam board discontinued the intermediate tier, which means only Set 1 can get above a C now. It is also a lot more difficult to get a C on lower than it is on higher.

Jack Squat
2008-09-26, 08:35 AM
Yep, that makes sense until you actually talk to the people, because in my school there was a lot of people who you'd think would act stupid and underachieve to be cool, but it didn't happen.

I was by some terms a geek, and I have long hair and listen to rock but I knew all those people and was friends with them and more or less everyone got good grades and they were dissapointed if they got below what they wanted.

It's a stereotype, it works in some situations but I've noticed it's more of the exception than the rule.

That's my personal experience though.[/end incoherent rant]

EDIT: To expand in my experience when a smart person joins an underachieving group, the group goes to them for help and because they're peers they can explain better, this has in most cases I've seen improved the others grades rather than drags the smart person's down.

Yeah, I figured that it wouldn't necessarily be the case, but I do know of it happening. Not at every school, and not at every area.

I know our inner-city schools tend to have a better chance of following it than where I went. This probably has to do with there being more truly stupid people, those that don't care about education, to form a larger portion of the group than those that just don't quite understand. It can also apply to levels now that I think about it.

At our school, we had four levels of the required classes, fundamental, basic, standard, and honors/AP. Our largest group of underachievers were rednecks, and I know of 3 that weren't in fundamental or basic; two of which took a couple honors/AP classes. I never associated with these groups, so I don't know how they did in those classes, or what their actual views were, but they didn't appear to put their academic pursuits first.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-26, 09:08 AM
I get their libraries though.

Somebody actually doubted that you wouldn't?:smallconfused:

dish
2008-09-26, 09:43 AM
Argh, you've been having that wretched British / American 'college' conversation again. Sorry, but it really winds me up. Would everybody please, please, please read this: Definition of 'College' in British English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College#United_Kingdom).
To sum up (for those who can't be bother to click), in British English 'college' can refer to any of the following:
a secondary school (Eton College)
a further education college (which adults attend to gain vocational qualifications)
a 6th form college (for students aged 16-18 to complete their final two years of non-compulsory school education - this is the definition most of the youger British forumites are using but it is by no means the only one)
a constituant part of a collegiate university (King's College, Cambridge; Exeter College, Oxford)
a group of faculties within a large university (College of Humanities and Social Science, Edinburgh University)
the name of a university (Imperial College London)
a professional body (Royal College of Surgeons)
a special type of law court (the College of Justice)

Ok, now I can [/rant]

The Rose Dragon: British Universities famed for biology (that is Life Science, right?) - Cambridge, Oxford, Bristol, Sheffield, Imperial College.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-26, 10:07 AM
TRD, given 'studying at an American education institution', just go enroll at a state university (Rutgers, the one for NJ, suggests itself) and get your permission to study in the U.S. secured before re-applying. That's what the hold-up is y'know, not just that you're not from one of the culturally similar parts of the world. They just don't want to be saddled with the sponsorship paperwork.

Umm... what's a sponsorship paperwork and how do I enroll at a state university while I'm already enrolled in one here in Turkey?

Griever
2008-09-26, 10:16 AM
Just finished my Calculus 3 test... was 5 problems, had 50 minutes, however I slept in and arrived 10 minutes late... finished it barely in time, yet before others who had the full 50. :smallbiggrin:

Where's Player_Zero? I need him to confirm a suspicion of mine about the domains and ranges of functions dependant on more than one variable!!

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-26, 11:11 AM
I did, but that's because I want them. :smalltongue:

50/50, shall we say? I get the sci-fi!

In other news, Dan Abnett has firmly cemented his position as my second favourite WH40K Author. Eisenhorn is awesome.

Quincunx
2008-09-26, 11:38 AM
Umm... what's a sponsorship paperwork and how do I enroll at a state university while I'm already enrolled in one here in Turkey?

http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/studying.html

Start here. This is the process the universities in the U.S. want you to at least start working on BEFORE contacting them.
None of that fluffy simplified "freedom of movement across state borders"* European stuff for us, no sirree. . .

What do I mean by "enroll in a state university"?
You're not an American citizen and you're not a permanent resident of the U.S., which means they won't even look at you unless you are transferring from a university based in the U.S. (or, possibly, enrolled in a university which has an exchange program with Princeton--but yours does not seem to be). Unless you want to apply for permanent residency in the U.S. and wait years for approval, enrolling in a state (public) university is your best choice. There are private universities, but they're, well, more expensive.

Sponsorship = who is guaranteeing that you're not fibbing on your application. It's your school vouching "yes, this guy is going to study with us", for example. That is precisely the nuisance which your target school is trying to avoid.

As for dual enrollment, you're likely right in that it would be too expensive, and you'd have to drop your Turkish university for that time.

[EDIT: I'm caught between three (2 1/2 if you count two of them being EU countries & sharing some framework) (at least it's not four any more--thank you EU Court of Justice*) immigrations systems at the moment. My terminology might be a tad mixed up, but the concepts are correct.

*The EU entry form I had to use is three pages plus relevant documentation as decided by the particular country. That's IT.]

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-26, 11:46 AM
http://www.unitedstatesvisas.gov/studying.html

Start here. This is the process the universities in the U.S. want you to at least start working on BEFORE contacting them.
None of that fluffy simplified "freedom of movement across state borders" European stuff for us, no sirree. . .

That's kinda of annoying, you know. I've talked to some people, and apparently, colleges want to know you have a visa before they accept your application and the government wants to know you are accepted before you get a visa.

I still have no idea what that sponsorship deal is or how I can apply to a second college while I'm attending the first.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-26, 12:23 PM
@Spiceboy: perhaps she just failed the interview. After all, you get interviewed before you sit your A Level exams so unless she had a gap year before applying they probably 'failed' her on the interview she had.

Today has been such a non - lesson day for me. Except for the Classics essay, but I did that in an hour or so. Med His was another video; and E Lang was, surprisingly, a history lesson which I paid no real attention to except for to correct the teacher. And best of all, I haven't had a headache for five days!

Kaelaroth
2008-09-26, 12:35 PM
School was all right for me. Signed up for the new whole-school debating society, hung out with pallios, went to lessons, was moderately disturbed to find out that everyone in my class wants me to help me with their note-taking (:smallsigh:), and was saddened by the fact that the guy I went out with now just doesn't talk to me. Alas.

Also, weekend! :smallbiggrin:

And, I need opinions. Is anti-folk cool?

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-26, 01:04 PM
Formulating opinions about something means knowing something about the subject. Anti - folk is what now?

Oh, and a mystery for the collected intellect of RB:
Yesterday I got £50 out of mums' bank account. I had that £50 when I got home; all the notes wrapped in each other, and in my jacket pocket.
Upon reaching my room I took off said jacket and dropped it on the floor.
Upon leaving the house this morning I found I only had £30 in my pocket. Thinking it'd just fallen out of my pocket as things are wont to do I ran back inside and asked mum for a £20 note so I wouldn't miss the bus as I could give her the other £20 when I got home.
I get home. Go upstiars to fetch the cash from where I thought it'd be.
And it wasn't there.
Or anywhere on the floor around it. Or under the bed. Or anywhere near where I put my clothes.
Now, I share a room with a sister. Mum naturally, thinks I've got the money or've lost it. I don't want to come to conclusions, but Little Sister's 'acquired' some of my money before.
And when I merely said "Me and Little Sister share a room. Logically only she or I have it." she blew up in my face.
Quandary posed.
Any possible solutions on where to look?

Quincunx
2008-09-26, 01:24 PM
Sister's purse. If there, then sister's purse in front of mother.

Kaelaroth
2008-09-26, 01:34 PM
Formulating opinions about something means knowing something about the subject. Anti - folk is what now?

This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-folk#Antifolk_UK). This particular brand is what I'm referring to, not the earlier 60s stuff. I'm talking Florence and the Machine, Lightspeed Champion, Emmy the Great, etc.

And when I say cool, I say: "Meets the Playground's idea of Cool", rather than what the foolish world thinks is cool.

Edge
2008-09-26, 01:37 PM
Eisenhorn is awesome.

Amen to that. But who, pray tell, is your most favourite 40K author?

Phase
2008-09-26, 01:38 PM
Curly, if I were you I would start mopping entrails from your face and home before the hungry wild dogs smell them. Was she, like, taking nitroglycerin tablets? Why'd she explode?

Oregano
2008-09-26, 01:39 PM
Unrelated question, want an opinion, would you want more variety of lesser quality or less variety of better quality?

mangosta71
2008-09-26, 01:58 PM
Oh, and a mystery for the collected intellect of RB:
Yesterday I got £50 out of mums' bank account. I had that £50 when I got home; all the notes wrapped in each other, and in my jacket pocket.
Upon reaching my room I took off said jacket and dropped it on the floor.
Upon leaving the house this morning I found I only had £30 in my pocket. Thinking it'd just fallen out of my pocket as things are wont to do I ran back inside and asked mum for a £20 note so I wouldn't miss the bus as I could give her the other £20 when I got home.
I get home. Go upstiars to fetch the cash from where I thought it'd be.
And it wasn't there.
Or anywhere on the floor around it. Or under the bed. Or anywhere near where I put my clothes.
Now, I share a room with a sister. Mum naturally, thinks I've got the money or've lost it. I don't want to come to conclusions, but Little Sister's 'acquired' some of my money before.
And when I merely said "Me and Little Sister share a room. Logically only she or I have it." she blew up in my face.
Quandary posed.
Any possible solutions on where to look?

Explosion = guilty conscience.

Unrelated question, want an opinion, would you want more variety of lesser quality or less variety of better quality?

Quality > quantity. This has been scientifically proven.

Oregano
2008-09-26, 02:01 PM
I thought that myself, it's for a project I'm working on, I wanted to give a choice to the user at the beginning but then I realised that entailed 6x more work than is necessary, so the choice will probably make very little difference with the way I'm going.

How's it been proven? that's kind of hard to prove isn't it?

wadledo
2008-09-26, 02:41 PM
Completely random:
Today in Physiology, we were reviewing the whole cell division thing, and since I'm always the odd-man-out(unless the other odd-man-out is there, which he wasn't), I got grouped late in the project.
So, the gal's I'm working with are a little miffed(not noticeably, but one of them was obviously mildly annoyed that we had to deal with a new person after drawing really tiny cells for 7 minutes), so I look through the sight, see that they are really tiny, think for a second, and grab my camera.
Now, my camera isn't that great(Kodak Z885 8.1 MP), and the girls were looking at me very strangle as I tipped the lens from side to side, trying to get a good picture, but once I snapped it and said, mostly to myself, "oh, hey. Anaphase." they changed their tunes very quickly.
The teacher, making her rounds, asked me to put away my I-phone and look through the microscope.
I turned off my camera, wondering why she thought it was connected to the Internet, and as the shutter closed, the entire device settling down onto the table top, she looked at me oddly and asked to see that picture again.
After realizing that it was not a picture from the Internet, she started tugging me around the room, showing off my zoomed in picture to the other students.
After cutting the class by about twenty minutes, everybody went back to their seats, some worksheets were handed out, and I finished my book.

Gods, sometimes I feel so weird.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-26, 02:46 PM
Amen to that. But who, pray tell, is your most favourite 40K author?

Sandy Mitchell. Eisenhorn is awesome, but Ciaphas Cain is made of pure liquid win.

mangosta71
2008-09-26, 02:48 PM
How's it been proven? that's kind of hard to prove isn't it?

The last bit was me being a bit silly. Not that you should ever believe anything that I say to be anything less than absolute truth.

Jibar
2008-09-26, 02:52 PM
My reaction to coming back to my computer after leaving it on while watching Mock the Week:

Heh. Funny episode.
Okay, light.
Wait.
Lights out, Guerilla boop.
Is she there?
Did she... BOOP.
I left MSN on!
BOOP!
Is she still there...
No. I...
BOOP.
Why did I ever start appearing online!?

Oh God. Why do you give me one good day but make sure it gets framed by total crap all round?

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-26, 03:34 PM
My reaction to coming back to my computer after leaving it on while watching Mock the Week:

Heh. Funny episode.
Okay, light.
Wait.
Lights out, Guerilla boop.
Is she there?
Did she... BOOP.
I left MSN on!
BOOP!
Is she still there...
No. I...
BOOP.
Why did I ever start appearing online!?

Oh God. Why do you give me one good day but make sure it gets framed by total crap all round?

This yesterday?
Great clip show episode. I loved the one with Andy and the irish at the Olympics and oh lord, there was one that had me crying with laughter that I can't remember now.
About MSN, sometimes it just automatically signs itself on. It's happened to me five times that I remember and was really annoying as I was busy, but didn't want to be discourteous and tell the people who'd IMed me that I didn't want to talk to them.
And once it happened when I was out and had left an anti - virus running and they felt offended that I hadn't answered.
Annoying MSN.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-26, 05:26 PM
Curly, if I were you I would start mopping entrails from your face and home before the hungry wild dogs smell them. Was she, like, taking nitroglycerin tablets? Why'd she explode?

I laughed out loud at that. :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Bath
2008-09-26, 05:45 PM
This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-folk#Antifolk_UK). This particular brand is what I'm referring to, not the earlier 60s stuff. I'm talking Florence and the Machine, Lightspeed Champion, Emmy the Great, etc.

And when I say cool, I say: "Meets the Playground's idea of Cool", rather than what the foolish world thinks is cool.

The answer is yes. But GUH! Lightspeed Champion you fool! He made the WORST cover of Thriller I've ever heard. Leagues worse than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbvP7dT3Dx0)

Personally I feel that Synth-folk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VPyso87fZU) is cooler though. :smallcool:

Jibar
2008-09-26, 06:03 PM
Woah. Never been online at midnight before.
My history wipes everyday.
...this is weird.

Also: InksGuy. If you can read this;
Jak.
Dies.

:furious:

Griever
2008-09-26, 06:15 PM
So... thinking about taking up reading again, now that I never have to take an English class ever again and listen to English teachers destroying great works of art by draining every ounce of essence and leaving the pulp.

Not sure what I should read though... my brother suggests "Les Miserables", thoughts?

Haruki-kun
2008-09-26, 06:56 PM
Warning: Computer Geekery ahead.

I'm sitting in front of my computer, the Ubuntu Installation CD is in the Disk Drive, and I'm ready to go. I'm trying to Partition the disk for DualBoot with XP Pro using Partition Magic, but I can't figure out what size and stuff the partition has to be. Some forums mentioned about 10 GB, some about 5 GB. The Default in the Partition details window thingy is 70,245. Now, I'm no expert, but if I'm not mistaken, that translates into about 70 GB, right? Does anyone know exactly what I'm supposed to do?

dish
2008-09-26, 07:12 PM
So... thinking about taking up reading again, now that I never have to take an English class ever again and listen to English teachers destroying great works of art by draining every ounce of essence and leaving the pulp.

Not sure what I should read though... my brother suggests "Les Miserables", thoughts?

Do you read French?

If you're reading it in translation - it certainly is possible. I read it. Had to plow my way through in places, but overall, I enjoyed it. Do you like long, rambling, slightly moralistic, nineteenth century novels?

@Haruki-kun: I have no idea, but I think you should make a new computer help thread - we need a general one that can collect together all the different computer help problems floating round the forum. (Am I imagining it, or didn't we used to have one?)

Gem Flower
2008-09-26, 07:17 PM
Warning: Computer Geekery ahead.

I'm sitting in front of my computer, the Ubuntu Installation CD is in the Disk Drive, and I'm ready to go. I'm trying to Partition the disk for DualBoot with XP Pro using Partition Magic, but I can't figure out what size and stuff the partition has to be. Some forums mentioned about 10 GB, some about 5 GB. The Default in the Partition details window thingy is 70,245. Now, I'm no expert, but if I'm not mistaken, that translates into about 70 GB, right? Does anyone know exactly what I'm supposed to do?

...Sorry. You lost me at the ninth word.:smalltongue:

Recaiden
2008-09-26, 07:28 PM
Its a Linux-y thing. And I'm pretty sure we had a technology ITP for a while, but only 2 or so people brought a problem there. I've seen a couple of virus and computer threads recently though.

dish
2008-09-26, 07:35 PM
I can count five computer help or advice threads on the first page alone. Each about its own specific problem. You could certainly argue for making one general computer help thread. The difficulty is encouraging people to use it...

Vonriel
2008-09-26, 07:36 PM
It depends on which unit it's reporting, Haruki. I know my computer likes to use kb instead of the much-more-handy mb, which leads to me seeing files with numbers like 2,365,815 KB underneath them - I have the option to display file sizes turned on - in my gaming folders. So yeah, it could be 70 gb, it could be 70 mb.

Of course, since you're talking about partitioning your computer, chances are more likely it is saying 70gb, but then, what you're dealing with is a bit beyond my scope of experience. :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-26, 08:22 PM
Bad movie rant time:

Saw Eagle Eye tonight...pay attention children, because this is what we like to call a monumental lapse of good judgment.

If you've ever had trouble envisioning a Xanatos Roulette (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosRoulette), see this movie (also if you have a severe need to give yourself a headache). The sheer amount of eye-rolling "how in the hell could you predict that?" moments will have you staring at the ceiling more than the movie screen (a small bit of mercy, that). The Fridge Logic afterwards will keep you talking for hours, though.

I actually had a bit of a glimmer of hope after hearing the positive reviews...

dish
2008-09-26, 08:41 PM
I hate stress tension headaches. :smallfurious: Woke up with one side of my head in pain. Took painkillers and waited for over an hour. The only thing that happened was the headache spread to the other side of my head and is now threatening migrane levels of pain. And I have to get on with this work.
Bah! Humbug! Mutter and growl.
(Mmm, maybe this should have gone into ranting itp - oh well.)

Player_Zero
2008-09-27, 01:52 AM
Off to uni tomorrow. Woo.

Haven't packed, not ready, haven't revised for test. All is well.

Vonriel
2008-09-27, 02:45 AM
It's 4 am, and, still, awake am I. (or close enough to it) I need to stop this. :smallsigh:

In other news, people pack early? Study? What are these things you mention, mr. zero?

randman22222
2008-09-27, 03:55 AM
My left bottom eyelid has been twitching randomly for five days now... I'm not sure why.

But last night I found out that I sing pretty damned well in a falsetto. SingStar + Clocks = I pwned everyone. Oh, and that I look pretty damned good with eye-liner on.

Player_Zero
2008-09-27, 04:08 AM
I find that Singstar rewards being monotone. :smalltongue:

Also, I had about 2, maybe 3 hours sleep between about 3AM and 6AM when my internet went down.

...Oh crap! My toast! Burb.

dish
2008-09-27, 04:17 AM
P_Z is off to uni tomorrow? That is really exciting. Umm, I'd advise you do some packing though...will you be staying in halls of residence?

Dr. Bath
2008-09-27, 04:28 AM
I find that Singstar rewards being monotone. :smalltongue:

Also, I had about 2, maybe 3 hours sleep between about 3AM and 6AM when my internet went down.

...Oh crap! My toast! Burb.

Singstar is the greatest. It also rewards singing in a creepy gravely old-man hiding in the bushes voice. Yes.... we tested it. IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE.

Didja not go to 'Freshers week' or whatever it's called?

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-27, 04:29 AM
I agree with Dish about packing stuff today if you can (it will save a lot of time tomorrow). Also, sleeping more would be wise when you're there.:smallsmile:

Thufir
2008-09-27, 04:57 AM
Off to uni tomorrow. Woo.

Haven't packed, not ready, haven't revised for test. All is well.

Test being kind of a 'Do you still remember your A-level maths?' sort of thing? If it's like the one I got, you probably don't need to revise.

Ahhh... two days from now I will almost have finished my first 2-hour lecture on Introductory Fluids and the Theory of Flight...

@Bath: Some universities start later than others. *Shakes fist at Durham.* I don't know if Zero's is one of them. On the other hand, Fresher's week isn't that important, right? I mean it's not like I would have made that many more friends had I bothered with it...
...right?

dish
2008-09-27, 05:01 AM
In my experience Fresher's Week involved meeting loads and loads of cool people, most of whom I never saw again. There were only one or two significant meetings during that week, and those people I would have met anyway in my lectures or in the societies I decided to join.

Player_Zero
2008-09-27, 07:08 AM
Freshers for Warwick is this week. And yarr. Halls. In the most expensive antisocial ones too. :smalltongue:

Went to the supermarket just now.... I know now what Hell is like...

randman22222
2008-09-27, 07:20 AM
Just thinking; it's not SingStar that condones monotony. It's a good portion of the music on there that does. Rap. So much of it is monotonous... :smallyuk:

Also, why was the supermarket hellish? :smallconfused:

dish
2008-09-27, 07:58 AM
Freshers for Warwick is this week. And yarr. Halls. In the most expensive antisocial ones too. :smalltongue:

Went to the supermarket just now.... I know now what Hell is like...

Self-catering or catered? It'll effect what you need to pack.

Player_Zero
2008-09-27, 08:04 AM
Self-catered. I've bought a load of pasta and whatnot.

And supermarkets are like unto the very depths of the Abyss on account of all the people.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-09-27, 08:40 AM
Hey! PZ has had his counter reset!

Oregano
2008-09-27, 08:46 AM
I noticed that, personally I think it's something to do with his avatar.

Castaras
2008-09-27, 08:47 AM
Nay...I'd guess it's how long he hasn't left the house, or something like that. :smalltongue:

randman22222
2008-09-27, 08:55 AM
Nay...I'd guess it's how long he hasn't left the house, or something like that. :smalltongue:

I think you're on to something. I really do. :smallconfused:

Player_Zero
2008-09-27, 09:11 AM
Not that I would tell anyway, but no, nothing to do with the avatar. Not the house dealie neither.

Dr. Bath
2008-09-27, 09:35 AM
Kicks to the face?

I also keep hearing spectral clown horns from somewhere... But there are no clowns to be seen... :smallconfused:

Lyesmith
2008-09-27, 09:38 AM
Kicks to the face?

I also keep hearing spectral clown horns from somewhere... But there are no clowns to be seen... :smallconfused:

Well that's what you get for defiling a clown graveyard.
Honestly, Bath! We're so ashamaed of you.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-27, 11:13 AM
Well that's what you get for defiling a clown graveyard.
Honestly, Bath! We're so ashamaed of you.

Oh dear.
A clown graveyard. A perfect combination for coulraphobes and of course, everyone's afraid of zombies.
Zombie clowns.
They're coming to get you Bath.
In all their shroudy, un - funny funniness and they're laugh quietly, just on the cusp of hearing as they chase your, steadfast, through the woods.
Clown horns tooting in the distance.
But all around.
No escape.
The clowns are coming to get you. And they won't leave you be.
The last sight you'll see before you slip into grateful death is the visage of a ghastly, deathly white face marred with bloody wide lips and dark circles for eyes.
Laughing.
Laughing.
And feasting.

Lyesmith
2008-09-27, 11:19 AM
Oh dear.
A clown graveyard. A perfect combination for coulraphobes and of course, everyone's afraid of zombies.
Zombie clowns.
In all their shroudy, un - funny funniness and they're laugh quietly, just on the cusp of hearing as they chase your, steadfast, through the woods.
But all around.
No escape.
The last sight you'll see before you slip into grateful death is the visage of a ghastly, deathly white face marred with bloody wide lips and dark circles for eyes.
Laughing.
Laughing.
And feasting.

*Cowers in fear*

RightHandless
2008-09-27, 11:19 AM
Oh dear.
Zombie clowns.
But all around.
No escape.
Laughing.
Laughing.
And feasting.

"You can't kill me! I'm too amusing to die!"

[/shagwellthefool]

Skippy
2008-09-27, 11:20 AM
:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:

Zombie clowns... *Shudder*

I can't even post my thoughts about it...

Oregano
2008-09-27, 11:22 AM
I wasn't afraid of either Zombies or Clowns, until playing Dead Rising, that was scary. Poor Bath.:smallfrown:

Dragonrider
2008-09-27, 11:28 AM
:smallbiggrin:

I FINISHED WRITING MY THIRD NOVEL LAST NIGHT!

Six weeks.

96,000 words.

I'm happy. :smallbiggrin:

I was determined to finish it before school started (Monday), but I have a problem...it's given me an idea for another one...I wrote 1000 words this morning and I'm in trouble because I'm going to want to be as obsessive about it as I was with the last and, uh, school will steal my time.

*is saddened*

But I've written down the plot, so if I have to take a break from it I won't forget what happens :smallbiggrin:

Oregano
2008-09-27, 11:30 AM
If it's possible Dragonrider try writing this new idea as a short story or a Novella, less time needed, but you get the story written/wrote(I always get them mixed up).

randman22222
2008-09-27, 11:31 AM
I must ask again: Are we ever gonna be able to read these books? :smallfrown:

Skippy
2008-09-27, 11:33 AM

I FINISHED WRITING MY THIRD NOVEL LAST NIGHT!

Six weeks.

96,000 words.

I'm happy. :smallbiggrin:

I was determined to finish it before school started (Monday), but I have a problem...it's given me an idea for another one...I wrote 1000 words this morning and I'm in trouble because I'm going to want to be as obsessive about it as I was with the last and, uh, school will steal my time.

*is saddened*

But I've written down the plot, so if I have to take a break from it I won't forget what happens :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations!! I know how hard is to write, so I'm really impressed with this. Keep up the good work!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-27, 11:40 AM
I scaredd myself when I wrote that. *doesn't like clowns at all*

@DRider: Ooh, when're you sending them off to publishers? Got any dedications? Also: I feel bad now for not having anywhere near that writ.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 11:51 AM
You feel bad? :smalltongue: I'm only sitting on somewhere in the vacinity of 28000 (give or take about 1500) words after much longer than 6 weeks...

Starting to think maybe I just don't have the drive for this...

Dragonrider
2008-09-27, 11:55 AM
If it's possible Dragonrider try writing this new idea as a short story or a Novella, less time needed, but you get the story written/wrote(I always get them mixed up).

:smalltongue: but I don't want a short story. I know how long this will take to tell.... :smallamused:

@Randman: In time, my dear, in time. :smallbiggrin:

@Curly: Not publishing yet, it'll take quite a bit more polishing, I know this because my mother is in the writing business and although she has an agent, she's currently embroiled in the process of finding a publishing house....

Also, I'm faced with a difficult problem: My two most recent novels, I have now realized, are the 2nd and 3rd in the trilogy, and the one I just started is the first. Meaning I have to finish it before I can think about publishing...ha...

Sad. I wrote them in backwards order. But actually good, because I know what to do to properly set up the later ones.

@Cristo: When I'm in school, I write about a page a day. That's why my second took about ten months...because I did plenty of procrastinating and basically wrote the first 2/3 in ten months and the last third in three days. Then I immediately zoomed into the one after it, wrote 80,000 words in two weeks, and took another four weeks to write the last 15,000.

I have a feeling this next one is going to take longer again.

Because I have some serious editing ahead of me.

Skippy
2008-09-27, 12:00 PM
You feel bad? :smalltongue: I'm only sitting on somewhere in the vacinity of 28000 (give or take about 1500) words after much longer than 6 weeks...

Starting to think maybe I just don't have the drive for this...

I've been stuck in... *checks file* 5600 words for nearly a year.

randman22222
2008-09-27, 12:14 PM
...Writers itP...

Cool people...

I wanna read some more of you guys' writing. I've only seen shipfics. :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 12:18 PM
Yo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82034)-this is what is becoming my novel, just with a few minor (read: drastic) changes.

and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4495705&postcount=96)

and here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4765607&postcount=173)

randman22222
2008-09-27, 12:23 PM
Yo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82034)-this is what is becoming my novel, just with a few minor (read: drastic) changes.

Yup, you'd mentioned these a while back. :smallsmile:
*Shall have to write something at some point...*

DraPrime
2008-09-27, 12:28 PM

Were I not using an iphone right now I would read all that.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 12:33 PM
Yup, you'd mentioned these a while back. :smallsmile:
*Shall have to write something at some point...*

well everything else is on a word doc right now, so that's all you get...

oh, wait, forgot something I started doing for the hell of it: http://cristo-meyers.livejournal.com/3286.html

It's a bit hard to read, I never did go back and format it.

randman22222
2008-09-27, 12:35 PM
well everything else is on a word doc right now, so that's all you get...

oh, wait, forgot something I started doing for the hell of it: http://cristo-meyers.livejournal.com/3286.html

It's a bit hard to read, I never did go back and format it.

Odd. I've read this before, but don't recognize the page at all. :smallconfused:

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 12:39 PM
Maybe you're mistaking it for the two ships I wrote? The page is my blog project (note to self: find better word, "blog" makes me throw up a little), a way to keep my mind on how much progress I've made in my work.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-27, 12:45 PM
Sadly, I seem more to prone short stories and drabbles as the shipping hreads so wonderfully prove.
This may pose a problem.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 12:53 PM
Sadly, I seem more to prone short stories and drabbles as the shipping hreads so wonderfully prove.
This may pose a problem.

It's been my experience that most of my favourite authors started by writing shorts: Stephen King chief among them.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-27, 01:35 PM
I can't stretch my plots out long enough to write anything but shorts, it seems. And I don't have much time for writing these days...

Dragonrider
2008-09-27, 03:10 PM
I'm about to have less.

But the key, for me anyway, is multiple plots that you figure out how to connect at the end....

(although my last two have been first person, a single protagonist, which means that subplots and subcharacters can be a little harder to construct, with only one character's perspective).

I'm watching Attack of the Clones with my little brother. I haven't actually sat through the whole thing in YEARS...the dialogue is PAINFULLY awful. :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 04:31 PM
Y'know, after re-watching LotR for the so-many-th time I just realized something.

Theoden is a true pirate.
When he gets stabbed with a spear at the battle of Helmsdeep he clearly shouts : Arrr!

Oregano
2008-09-27, 04:36 PM
that's a coincidence DD LOTR:ROTK is on Channel 4 right now, I think it's ROTK anyway.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 04:37 PM
Ok, it's official, I need help...

I just made a Pass the Boom reference in my novel...

...DAMN YOU SUPAGOOF! DAMN YOU TO HECK! :smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 04:38 PM
Me has no Channel 4.

Me does have over-watched video's of all three LotR's though.....

Also, is it bad that its in the early night and that I'm producing more then 1 s/pm(Squeee per minute)

Heheh, Cristo, that's awesome. But I realize that I took it as a compliment when you said my mind was twisted and that you love that about me so.... I probably shouldn't speak.....

And Ps, The battle of Helmsdeep is in TTT, not RotK.

Oregano
2008-09-27, 04:39 PM
I know you don't have Channel 4, that's why it's a coincidence! Gaaaawwwdd, you have to lay off the cookies.:smalltongue:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 04:40 PM
I know you don't have Channel 4, that's why it's a coincidence! Gaaaawwwdd, you have to lay off the cookies.:smalltongue:
But I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I need mah cookies..... *quickly noms some*

Ahhh, better....

Still Squeeeing though...

Edge
2008-09-27, 04:44 PM
I would say that DD's cookie obsession is unhealthy and that he needs help, but it's better than him being a druggy.

Well, at least I think it is...

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 04:47 PM
I would like to clear it for once and all that however I may post like, that however it may seem. That I do not have a cookie problem, I'm not addicted. I may *nom* cookies a many time in fun of RP'ing or such, but that does not mean that everytime I do that, I eat cookies in RL.
*watches as the faeries start falling out the sky, dead*

ufo
2008-09-27, 04:51 PM
I would like to clear it for once and all that however I may post like, that however it may seem. That I do not have a cookie problem, I'm not addicted. I may *nom* cookies a many time in fun of RP'ing or such, but that does not mean that everytime I do that, I eat cookies in RL.
*watches as the faeries start falling out the sky, dead*

That's what they all say. Soon, we will see you on the pavement, crawling towards the bakery. Craving. Licking the last tiny crums off your lips.

Edge
2008-09-27, 04:52 PM
If that's true, then I can talk.

DISCLAIMER: I am not really the Stig. Honest.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 04:53 PM
That's what they all say. Soon, we will see you on the pavement, crawling towards the bakery. Craving. Licking the last tiny crums off your lips.
And that will never happen. Because home-made cookies are just so much better....

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 04:53 PM
If that's true, then I can talk.

DISCLAIMER: I am not really the Stig. Honest.

Am I the only one that thinks "What if he really is the Stig and is counting on our disbelief to keep his identity secret?"

I'm on to you!:smallamused:

Rawhide
2008-09-27, 04:54 PM

http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Strange/cookie_monster_dead.jpg
A very sad day indeed

DraPrime
2008-09-27, 04:55 PM

I'm sure he already does that when we aren't looking.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 04:57 PM
So now the thread is about my supposed addiction to cookies, and even Rawhide posted.

:smalleek:

Also, Rawhide, do I want to know where and how you get those pictures?:smalleek:

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 04:58 PM
So now the thread is about my supposed addiction to cookies, and even Rawhide posted.

Also, Rawhide, do I want to know where and how you get those pictures?:smalleek:

Welcome to the 1st Annual Giants in the Playground Forum Roast of Dallas-Dakota! :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2008-09-27, 04:59 PM

If I knew, I'd tell you.

Welcome to the 1st Annual Giants in the Playground Forum Roast of Dallas-Dakota! :smallbiggrin:

As a general rule, I boycott the 'first annual' anything.

DraPrime
2008-09-27, 05:03 PM

I brought BBQ sauce!

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 05:03 PM
As a general rule, I boycott the 'first annual' anything.

Fine, what about "First Ever?"

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 05:04 PM
Great.

I'm being roasted or BBQ'd.

This would be a lot better if y'lot were comedians...

ufo
2008-09-27, 05:04 PM
I brought BBQ sauce!

Scrub it, we're using cookie dough.

For the purely tortural (is that a word?) reasons.

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-27, 05:06 PM
This would be a lot better if y'lot were comedians...

Denis Leary doesn't return my calls anymore, sorry...

Oregano
2008-09-27, 05:07 PM
We're not trying to be funny DD, addiction is a serious thing.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 05:07 PM
I'm sorry but I'l have to call it a night and go to sleep.

*runs off, not at all creeped out*

Edit : Oregano, looks at the two posts above you. Repeat that again. And I'l also repeat again, just because I RP a lot as the cookiemonster does not make me addicted to cookies. And here's what my managers say... (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/08/entertainment/main686690.shtml)

ufo
2008-09-27, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry but I'l have to call it a night and go to sleep.

*runs off, not at all creeped out*

We'll be there. Knocking on your windows. With cookies.

Don't you just want to *om nom* them?

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-27, 05:13 PM
We'll be there. Knocking on your windows. With cookies.

Don't you just want to *om nom* them?
Good thing I have barricaded my windows then.

Dragonrider
2008-09-27, 05:14 PM
Yessssssssss.....cookies.....I just made some....60 luscious, chewy chocolate chip cookies....

DraPrime
2008-09-27, 05:18 PM
Yessssssssss.....cookies.....I just made some....60 luscious, chewy chocolate chip cookies....

If you see DD then RUN! He is insatiable.

Edge
2008-09-27, 05:19 PM
Cookies which have not been laced with high-explosive. I checked them myself.

Oregano
2008-09-27, 05:20 PM
Yes the person that is definately not the stig:smallwink: checked them.

Edge
2008-09-27, 05:27 PM
I can quite happily say I am not the Stig.

I'm his northern cousin twice-removed.

And now that it's getting late, I'm off to a wander in a nearby forest, foraging for wolves.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-27, 06:00 PM
I can quite happily say I am not the Stig.

I'm his northern cousin twice-removed.

And now that it's getting late, I'm off to a wander in a nearby forest, foraging for wolves.

Are you sure you're not The Original Stig (aka Black Stig (for his uniform)) or The Stigs' African Cousin? Or The Stigs' Fat American Cousin?

And we all know The Stig's voice can only be heard by cats (you really don't want to know about how filthy his mouth is, cursing all the time) and that he is banned from Chichester. He also happens to be Head Stiginess of his own religion.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-27, 10:19 PM
*noms DD's cookie-flavored brain*
Yum! :smallbiggrin:

Phase
2008-09-27, 10:39 PM
I had a cookie earlier, along with what felt like a peice of my own flesh...

Ow... :smallfrown:

Haruki-kun
2008-09-27, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know how you can remove bottle caps without a bottle cap remover thingy? I just realized I got two bottles and no way to open them, which I refer to as epic fail.

Rawhide
2008-09-27, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know how you can remove bottle caps without a bottle cap remover thingy? I just realized I got two bottles and no way to open them, which I refer to as epic fail.

Wrap a piece of cloth around it (rag, a shirt that isn't one of your best) and turn.

Griever
2008-09-27, 11:35 PM
Wrap a piece of cloth around it (rag, a shirt that isn't one of your best) and turn.

If that fails, find a pair of pliers.

DraPrime
2008-09-27, 11:53 PM

A trained demolition team is the only solution.

Haruki-kun
2008-09-27, 11:55 PM
I tried the cloth, but it's not coming off. It's just... turning in place...

EDIT: Never mind, I just used a can opener in the weirdest possible angle between the handles.

Thanks!

Rawhide
2008-09-28, 12:07 AM
Oh, one of those bottle caps... Pretty much all the ones I open are screw top...

Haruki-kun
2008-09-28, 12:26 AM
Me too, but this one wasn't. Some people seem to have issues with Plastic Beer Bottles.

Rawhide
2008-09-28, 12:29 AM
No, they were glass bottles with metal lids but still screw top.

reorith
2008-09-28, 12:34 AM
plastic beer bottles? what is this sorcerous trickery? when it comes to liquor, rule of thumb is never drink anything that comes out of a plastic bottle. is the same true for beer?

Haruki-kun
2008-09-28, 12:39 AM
I'd answer, but I doubt I've ever seen alcohol in a plastic bottle. It's usually either glass or a can. I'm assuming plastic might react with the alcohol or maybe there's some sort of reason whi they use glass...

then again, I've noticed corks have recently started to be made with plastic to protect the environment. I guess it's better to leave that to the people whose business it is. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2008-09-28, 12:44 AM
I have never seen or heard of plastic beer bottles. why do people get them?

Edge
2008-09-28, 06:31 AM
Are you sure you're not The Original Stig (aka Black Stig (for his uniform)) or The Stigs' African Cousin? Or The Stigs' Fat American Cousin?

And we all know The Stig's voice can only be heard by cats (you really don't want to know about how filthy his mouth is, cursing all the time) and that he is banned from Chichester. He also happens to be Head Stiginess of his own religion.

I can assure you I am not the Original Stig, for he has unhelmeted himself. However, my voice can only be heard by cats, and I am the head of my own religion. However, I am not banned from Chichester.

Like I said, I'm his Northern Cousin Twice-Removed.

DraPrime
2008-09-28, 06:45 AM
What on earth is the stig?

Thufir
2008-09-28, 06:47 AM
I once opened a bottle of J2O using nothing more than one of those things for clipping ID cards and the like to your shirt or whatever, and a 50p piece.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-28, 06:51 AM

You don't know who the stig is is?:smalleek:

He's the always silent driver from Top Gear! And that's just the tip of the iceberg about him.

Dr. Bath
2008-09-28, 06:54 AM

Some say that he's the last living dinosaur, others that he crush walnuts with his eyelids. All we know is... he's called the Stig.

DraPrime
2008-09-28, 06:54 AM
You don't know who the stig is is?:smalleek:

He's the always silent driver from Top Gear! And that's just the tip of the iceberg about him.

I don't know what Top Gear is either...

Please don't hurt me for that.

Rawhide
2008-09-28, 06:55 AM

Some say that his first name really is "The," and that if he went on Celebrity Love Island, they'd all be pregnant including the camera men... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

DraPrime
2008-09-28, 06:58 AM
You know, DD is the only one that gave a helpful answer.

randman22222
2008-09-28, 07:00 AM
I don't know The Stig or Top Gear either... :smallconfused:
Supposedly I'm missing out, but it doesn't sound that interesting. Unless, of course, planes end up on the show. Then I'll want to watch. :smallsmile:
*Is a flyboy-wannabe.*

Kaelaroth
2008-09-28, 07:01 AM
Top Gear's a comical British show about cars, and, occasionally, other methods of transport.

They employ a silent, masked driver, called the Stig.

It's funny.

dish
2008-09-28, 07:02 AM
Wikipedia knows everything: The Stig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig) and while we're at it: Top Gear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(current_format)).

DraPrime
2008-09-28, 07:02 AM
I don't know The Stig or Top Gear either... :smallconfused:
Supposedly I'm missing out, but it doesn't sound that interesting. Unless, of course, planes end up on the show. Then I'll want to watch. :smallsmile:
*Is a flyboy-wannabe.*

Wait, there's another plane junkie on these forums? Cool.

randman22222
2008-09-28, 07:07 AM
Plane junkie? Well... I have this great way of making a friend of mine insanely jealous. I just remind her that I've sat in the cockpit of an SR-71 before. :smallbiggrin:

Rawhide
2008-09-28, 07:11 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VihIf1Fi-BM

As for planes, indeed, planes do get involved. In fact, they once raced their fastest car against a plane (in flight) around a race track.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-28, 07:24 AM

Y'know, I hope for you that Curly won't read that.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-28, 09:03 AM
If she does, distract her with books and run. Run to the hills. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Also, I can no longer look at the moon without imagining it dressed in a robe and casting spells at me.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-28, 09:13 AM

I hurt you now. I'm feeling generous: you have one page of RB to flee.

But, so sadly, America's 'remaking' the show. For Americans. As if they can't watch it as it is.
It's not going to be very good at all.

randman22222
2008-09-28, 09:17 AM
I hurt you now. I'm feeling generous: you have one page of RB to flee.

But, so sadly, America's 'remaking' the show. For Americans. As if they can't watch it as it is.
It's not going to be very good at all.

Why the hell would a program have to be remade for American audiences? If there was a difference in senses of humour and such, then Monty Python wouldn't be as widely quoted and such as it is... :smallconfused:

Grumblegrumblestupidmarketersgrumblegrumble.

Dr. Bath
2008-09-28, 09:36 AM
There's already the BBC Worldwide version, but that's editted in such a way that it doesn't make much sense, just so that they can fit the adverts in. It doesn't strictly need to be remade, but considering that Top Gear almost never looks at US cars, which I would guess might be popular in the US of A.

There're already German and Australian versions as well.

@v They get celebreties to race around in really slow cars for no reason. And do stupid stuff. Like drive to the North Pole in a Land Rover.

EmeraldRose
2008-09-28, 09:55 AM
*having not clicked any links*

Is that the show where they have 'celebrities' go around and race super fast cars for no apparent reason? I think I've seen commercials for it on BBC.

Lately I've been watching lots of Scrubs reruns for some reason. Most of them I actually haven't seen.

banjo1985
2008-09-28, 10:07 AM
@v They get celebreties to race around in really slow cars for no reason. And do stupid stuff. Like drive to the North Pole in a Land Rover.

And through the desert in Africa in a car called Oliver. That thing getting stuck halfway across that river is still one of the funniest things I've aver seen. :smallbiggrin:

"Noooooo! Ollliiiivvveeeerrrrr!" :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-28, 10:08 AM
I haven't seen the show either, to be honest, but then I almost never watch TV. And when I do, it's because either House or CSI is on, and I noticed that such was the case while reading the paper. Or because I'm at work and on break, but the TV there seems to show nothing but sports, poker, and various documentaries.

So I watch the documentaries.

Phase
2008-09-28, 10:13 AM
I can no longer look at the moon without imagining it dressed in a robe and casting spells at me.

This is SO sigged.

EmeraldRose
2008-09-28, 10:15 AM
Ah, I thought it was something about celebrities and cars.

Skippy
2008-09-28, 10:28 AM
I haven't seen the show either, to be honest, but then I almost never watch TV. And when I do, it's because either House or CSI is on, and I noticed that such was the case while reading the paper. Or because I'm at work and on break, but the TV there seems to show nothing but sports, poker, and various documentaries.

So I watch the documentaries.

As Groucho Marx used to say:

I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.

bosssmiley
2008-09-28, 10:54 AM
There's already the BBC Worldwide version, but that's edited in such a way that it doesn't make much sense, just so that they can fit the adverts in. It doesn't strictly need to be remade, but considering that Top Gear almost never looks at US cars, which I would guess might be popular in the US of A.

An American version of "TG" would fail out of hand because they would have to 1) jump through the absurd hoops Standards and Practices set up, and 2) be hopelessly sycophantic to the advertisers. What use is a car review show if the producers won't actually let you sledge garbage when its offered for review? :smalltongue:

There're already German and Australian versions as well.

@v They get celebrities to race around in really slow cars for no reason. And do stupid stuff. Like drive to the North Pole in a Land Rover.

They went to the Pole in a Toyota Hilux, which they had previously proven to be both indestructible (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_bbKtVIrE) and hydrodynamic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fec8EaYrOB4).

They also have road trips across desolate backwaters like Namibia and the southern US in cars that cost pennies, and race one another across Europe in supercars. Heck, they built their own space shuttle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20) and strapped one of the presenters (the blessed St Hamster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hammond)) into a rocket car and fired him off, just to see what would happen.

"Top Gear" is win, and anyone who says otherwise is just jealous! :smallcool:

wadledo
2008-09-28, 11:12 AM
On Groucho Marx:

Better yet, you could change it to the discovery channel, read a book and listen to books on tape.
This is how I passed my freshman history final.

randman22222
2008-09-28, 11:26 AM
They also have road trips across desolate backwaters like Namibia and the southern US in cars that cost pennies, and race one another across Europe in supercars. Heck, they built their own space shuttle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b4WzWFKQ20) and strapped one of the presenters (the blessed St Hamster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hammond)) into a rocket car and fired him off, just to see what would happen.

"Top Gear" is win, and anyone who says otherwise is just jealous! :smallcool:

Space Shuttle! Holy crap! :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

I now see what the hype is about! Why don't they play this in the UAE?! :smalleek::smallfrown:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-28, 11:33 AM
YouTube has many clips, they have their own website and I'm pretty sure that they also all the series on the internet somewhere.
You really have to seen the America, Africa and North Poles ones. And the Epic Challenges.

Jibar
2008-09-28, 02:42 PM
Yesterday - Jibar has a sore throat.
This morning - Jibar still has a sore throat.
Most of today - Jibar still has a sore throat and is apparantly coughing a lot.
As of five minutes ago - He has hiccuped the sore throat and cough away for the small price of feeling a little sick.

...yeah I've been up to a lot. Why do you ask? :smalltongue:

Actually I was out yesterday, but I didn't do much other than cheer up a friend of mine.
Nooow: Essay. Do today, tomorrow or the night before?
Silly question. Night before, obviously. Since I've now totally given up on sleep.

Castaras
2008-09-28, 02:45 PM
Yay for people with sore throats!

...And snuffles.

And feeling slightly sick.

:smallyuk: Not a fun bug I has.

Oregano
2008-09-28, 02:47 PM
I've gotten a bit of a cold lately, although it's been warm here, I think it might be tiredness because of the amount of homework I have/had.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-28, 02:48 PM
So far I've been lucky, and have managed to avoid contracting colds or the like. Apparently I have a good CON score.

Oregano
2008-09-28, 02:51 PM
That's what strange, I'm usually never ill, at all, I think my attendance for high school in total was 99.7% or something and that's because they marked me absent when I had appointments to make sure I wasn't ill.

Castaras
2008-09-28, 03:07 PM
Yeah...my attendance score has fell since I went to secondary...Have been fainting more often, and hayfever last year was a nightmare. :smalleek:

Dragonrider
2008-09-28, 03:08 PM
I don't watch much TV, but when I do...Mythbusters FTW. :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2008-09-28, 03:09 PM
Those two (Mythbusters) make me laugh... :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-28, 03:10 PM
I don't watch much TV, but when I do...Mythbusters FTW. :smallbiggrin:

Quoted for Truth. I never get to watch the show anymore thanks to silly things like sleep, but it is an awesome show. I especially like the episodes where something explodes, which is nearly all of them. :smallbiggrin:

Oregano
2008-09-28, 03:25 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/dr-bunsen-honeydew-beaker-mythbusters.jpg?

Opinions people, done my geography homework but my tutor said she wants perfect answers(after I'd done them) I know at least one is wrong, is it worth doing them all again or just that one?

randman22222
2008-09-28, 03:29 PM
Random thought:

Am I the only one that listens to Ojos De Brujo?
I absolutely love their modernized flamenco sound. :smallsmile:

Listen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkweA_uO9wo) here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBW4OWCRt-M&feature=related).

Wish I could dance Flamenco...

EmeraldRose
2008-09-28, 03:53 PM
[Opinions people, done my geography homework but my tutor said she wants perfect answers(after I'd done them) I know at least one is wrong, is it worth doing them all again or just that one?

Do the one over, then just double check the others to see if they need to be redone before spending the time.

Haruki-kun
2008-09-28, 04:02 PM
Random thought:

Am I the only one that listens to Ojos De Brujo?
I absolutely love their modernized flamenco sound. :smallsmile:

Listen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkweA_uO9wo) here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBW4OWCRt-M&feature=related).

My mom dances Flamenco. It's been a while since I've seen her on stage, though. I like it, but I'd never heard of Ojos de Brujo.

InksGuy
2008-09-28, 04:20 PM

Funny you should say that, my College took all our Drama classes to a Flamenco workshop last Wednesday. It's all about the rhythms, apparently.

On a completely unrelated note, I spent 5 hours in a car today travelling back down to Norfolk from Co. Durham... with my laptop and Inkscape. The battery ran out halfway through the fourth hour, but I thought I'd still post few of the half-decent products here, as they're in OOTS style:

{TABLE]http://ectheliongenesis.googlepages.com/headinajar.png|http://ectheliongenesis.googlepages.com/vampire.png|http://ectheliongenesis.googlepages.com/zombies.png|http://ectheliongenesis.googlepages.com/superherogirl.png
Head in a Jar|A Vampire|Confused Zombies|"Superherogirl"[/TABLE]

First three seem to have a marginally gothic theme going on (marginally), I don't know where the fourth came from, other than that it was possibly an attempt to draw one of my sisters that went astray...

Jibar
2008-09-28, 04:37 PM
Funny you should say that, my College took all our Drama classes to a Flamenco workshop last Wednesday. It's all about the rhythms, apparently.

Thursday.

...just saying.

Thes Hunter
2008-09-28, 09:38 PM
I am not as drunk as I have been the rest of the weekend.

Which bodes well for me.

Even though I was out drinking with co-workers and my sister this evening and they would have totally backed me up on coming in late. :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2008-09-29, 03:54 AM
Is it just me, or does the king of Thailand have big ears?

http://robertstravels.com/albums/album30/THAILAND_20_BAHT.jpg

EDIT: @V: I do know this. :smallsmile: Been to Thailand several times before.

dish
2008-09-29, 04:16 AM
Yes, he does. But don't say that to a Thai person because they tend to be really, fanatically devoted to their King.

Player_Zero
2008-09-29, 04:18 AM
I'm in uni and stuff. Being as antisocial as ever too.

dish
2008-09-29, 04:20 AM
Get off the computer and go and meet somebody. Is it Fresher's Week? There must be some activity going on that you'll be interested in.

Player_Zero
2008-09-29, 04:26 AM
You'd think so. I have my maths intro dealie pretty soon and a kitchen meeting dealie at 7 or something, but until then I doubt there's much on I'd be interested in.

I suppose I'll wait and see how the heck I'm supposed to join societies. There's a anime and manga one, a chess one, an assassin's guild and I assume there's gonna' be a RP one somewhere, so I'll see about joining them. Maybe play some chess in the kitchen and creep people out.

dish
2008-09-29, 04:28 AM
At my uni they had a societies fair where each society set up a stall and all the freshers wandered around and signing up as they wished.

Wow, universities have really interesting societies nowadays, I don't think we had any of those you've listed above. You're sharing a kitchen with a group of other students? Ouch. Warning, never store any food in it, ever.

randman22222
2008-09-29, 04:31 AM
You should join the assassins' guild. :smalltongue:

Nychta
2008-09-29, 04:44 AM
Assassin's guild? I wanna go to Uni!

Also, big whoop. It's the holidays, and I have to go to school for tutorials. Upcoming IGCSEs, ya see. Technically, the tutorials aren't compulsory, but...

bosssmiley
2008-09-29, 04:44 AM
You should join the assassins' guild. :smalltongue:

That's a school, not a soc'. :smallwink:

In mad science news: Silly Pierre de Frogslegs! Everyone knows that jetpacks (http://news.google.co.uk/news?q=channel%20jetpack) > pedal blimps (http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=O5F&q=pedal+blimp) :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2008-09-29, 04:45 AM
I fail to see how that would affect the fact that he needs to join it. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2008-09-29, 05:19 AM
You'd think so. I have my maths intro dealie pretty soon and a kitchen meeting dealie at 7 or something, but until then I doubt there's much on I'd be interested in.

I suppose I'll wait and see how the heck I'm supposed to join societies. There's a anime and manga one, a chess one, an assassin's guild and I assume there's gonna' be a RP one somewhere, so I'll see about joining them. Maybe play some chess in the kitchen and creep people out.

Here maybe? (http://www.warwicksu.com/societies/soclist/) When you look at the info for a specific society it says at the bottom, 'Please login to join this society'.
Assassin's Guild looks very fun. I'm a bit jealous. And your chess club has 5teams! 5!!!!! We have 1, and occasionally default boards. Warwick societies seem to be better organised than Newcastle ones. Also more numerous.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 06:03 AM
Assassins' Guild sounds fun. But can't you form your own societies too? And knowing you P_Z, you'd probably form a Pirates Guild, in which case, you need someone to form a Ninja Guild and then the three can have all out war. Think of the fun!

And it seems I've come in for first and last today. Woman E Lang's away so noone's doing the work set and everyone, bar me, left the room early. I remained to read.
So, naturally there's a fire drill so I spend ten minutes outside chatting to Cool Classics Guy and discussing whether I should go the Japanese Club. I probably will, but then do I go to the later one, or the earlier one?
If I go I'd probably go to the later one to split my frees. I'm easily bored.
So I'm stuck in the language lab not doing my French homework and hating UCAS. I've yet to pick two of my five choices and have absolutely no campuses chosen for any of them.
Though Merton for Oxford looks great. Cheap too.

randman22222
2008-09-29, 06:07 AM
Ohhh crap. Now you've reminded me that I should be doing UCAS stuff now. :smallsigh:

EDIT: Great. The buzzword I got isn't working. :smallsigh:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 06:40 AM
Maybe you've not got the caps in or something?
Or possibly it was last years one?

dish
2008-09-29, 06:53 AM
Curly: Please tell me quick, what time is it in the UK? There's an important phonecall I have to make before the end of the working day....

Dallas-Dakota
2008-09-29, 06:55 AM
About just the end of morning or the beginning of the early noon, 'round 12 o'clock depending where you are in the UK.

Player_Zero
2008-09-29, 06:57 AM
Ahhh. Got back from the course introduction and much of the stuff I needed to know has been answered. Excellent.

Also, got a anime and manga society leaflet which basically said 'Sick of stuff being normal? Then come join our club'. Heh.

Also, It's 1PM in the UK.

...Although maybe not in Northern Ireland. Not sure.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 07:08 AM
Ahhh. Got back from the course introduction and much of the stuff I needed to know has been answered. Excellent.

Also, got a anime and manga society leaflet which basically said 'Sick of stuff being normal? Then come join our club'. Heh.

Cool.
Very cool. I suggest you join, sounds like you'll fit right in./.
And I've finally decided on Merton College; very cheap accomodation and guaranteed for all three years! Plus it looks so much more fun than the others. This includes both the official website and the student run one. It is ironic on how we can't get away from that name. My honourary aunt's married name is Merton.

As this is submitted the time is 13:08.

randman22222
2008-09-29, 07:09 AM
I tried a good few of combinations of caps and non-caps. No dice. :smallannoyed:

And I'm on vacation for the next week or so, so I won't be able to speak with the counsellor that does know the buzzword. :smallsigh:

And if I weren't so adverse to manga and anime, I'd join that club, because that pretty much sums up how I'm feeling. :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 07:16 AM
You could join anyway and pick up random facts, languages and eccentricities anyway.

And how about emailing him?
And did you click on the register/apply 2009 one?

randman22222
2008-09-29, 07:28 AM
Yeah, I clicked the right one; I'll try emailing him now. :smallconfused:

In other news, I'm fast approaching a state of boredom.
Why is Abu Dhabi so boring? :smallsigh:

Oh well, I'm only here for less than a year more, anyway.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 07:46 AM
Time to demonstrate just how geographically ignorant a GCSE Geography student is!
Where's that?
And it leaves more to do on the internet I guess? Why you there anyway?

Also, when you leaving?

And I find it hilarious that roughly half my French class is in here doing their homework or what was set on Friday for classwork. She calls us the best students she's had for ages and most of us copy off one another when we haven't done the work. But naturally, I did because I was bored.

10:35 - 15:10 free. Boooooooooooored. Maybe I should eat later. Caramel shortcake sounds like a nice treat as well.

randman22222
2008-09-29, 07:53 AM
United Arab Emirates. Next to Saudi Arabia. Separated from Iran by two tiny little puddles known as the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. About thirty miles east of the middle of nowhere. It's a giant desert, and the novelty has just worn off.

When I'm leaving... That'd be May/Junish. Where I'm leaving to is far from certain. Either German relatives, or American relatives. Then it'd be to either West Virginia Uni, or (depending on how low I can get the tuition to go) University of Strathclyde. :smallconfused:

And that French homework sounds a good deal like how our math homework goes. Even on our IA's. :smallconfused:

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-29, 08:03 AM
I'm very, very tired. Let me elaborate.

Today is Monday. Since... last Tuesday, I think, I have had no more than 6 hours of sleep every day. Yesterday I had four. Work was hell today, but I made sure I actually got off on time. Need the extra for sleep.

Anyways, We have reached the previously unheard of stage #6 of sleep deprivation. This is the point where I'm really tired, but not falling asleep on my feet. As long as I remain upright I will continue to function normally. As soon as I lie down though, I just know I'm going to be out like a light.

Updates will be posted after I wake up on how record-breakingly long my sleep was.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 08:31 AM
:smallmad:
Stupid internet.
Stupid forum.
I just lost my entire I'm Going Slightly Mad fic to the monsters lurking in the forum.
And it was really good.

@Destro: I got some sleep last night. I think. I had a new pillow (meaning I had one puffy one and two 'more like wads of tissue' ones) and I don't think I slept. Much turning occured, and possibly dozing.
Sleeping will escape me tonight as well.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-29, 08:34 AM

I totally want to join that society.
EDIT @^: :smallconfused: What happened?
I send my condolences, regardless.

randman22222
2008-09-29, 08:36 AM
Stupid internet.
Stupid forum.
I just lost my entire I'm Going Slightly Mad fic to the monsters lurking in the forum.
And it was really good.

@Destro: I got some sleep last night. I think. I had a new pillow (meaning I had one puffy one and two 'more like wads of tissue' ones) and I don't think I slept. Much turning occured, and possibly dozing.
Sleeping will escape me tonight as well.

I write my shipfics into files on my desktop, that way this doesn't happen. I also format them how I like, and then format them again after copy and pasting them into GitP.
Works like a charm. :smallsmile:

Phase
2008-09-29, 08:36 AM
Sleep!

Ugh, my access to a computer wil be very sporadic for the next month or so. No one wait up for me. :smallannoyed:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 08:44 AM
I write my shipfics into files on my desktop, that way this doesn't happen. I also format them how I like, and then format them again after copy and pasting them into GitP.
Works like a charm. :smallsmile:

'm at college.
If I didn't finish writing it who knows whether or not I'd lose my spark/interest/inspiration for it? Also, it'd possibly be fourteen hours from me on here to the next time all things consid'ring.
I can do that at home, but I don't. I type in GitP, then C&P into my word doc where I keep all my ships.
Over 20 000 words now.:smallconfused:

@Festy: it just got et. Hit submit and it timed out or lost connection or something like that.

Uncle Festy
2008-09-29, 08:53 AM
Couldn't you just hit 'back'? Usually works for me.

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-29, 08:54 AM
it just got et. Hit submit and it timed out or lost connection or something like that.

I usually just hit back when that happens. It goes back to the post reply screen and all my writing is still there.

^: You dirty ninja you. :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2008-09-29, 08:55 AM
Sleep!

Ugh, my access to a computer wil be very sporadic for the next month or so. No one wait up for me. :smallannoyed:

Wup! No Moon ITP for a month? There go the tides... and the turtle, coral and crab mating seasons... and the werewolves... and which celestial body are we supposed to sacrifice our enemies to now? :smallmad:

Phase, Spider and Scorpion, yesterday:
http://www.collectedcurios.com/SAS_0031_Small.jpg

randman22222
2008-09-29, 08:59 AM
Wup! No Moon ITP for a month? There go the tides... and the turtle, coral and crab mating seasons... and the werewolves... and which celestial body are we supposed to sacrifice our enemies to now? :smallmad:

I've always sacrificed them to PSR B1257+12 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSR_B1257%2B12) :smallconfused:

dish
2008-09-29, 09:59 AM
Ok, important phone calls completed. Sadly, nothing conclusive came out of them, but there's no more I can do until tomorrow.

Now I need to wash the mayonaise out of my hair.

CurlyKitGirl
2008-09-29, 12:08 PM
Couldn't you just hit 'back'? Usually works for me.

That was the first thing I did.
All gone. Only a quote from Helgraf in there. Frustration was rife.

DraPrime
2008-09-29, 12:16 PM
I must say, I think I have been very fortunate today. I woke up with a horrendous headache and sore throat. I have a wonderful fever of 101. I'm really tired and can't do anything. Why is this good? Because I didn't study for the 4 different tests that I have in school today, and I have the day off tomorrow to study. Hooray for disease!

Although I must say, I think I understand why Zeus wanted his head to be split open when he got a nasty headache. I might do it, but if a fully armored goddess pops out of my head fully armored and claiming to be my daughter, I'm going to run screaming with a massive head wound.

randman22222
2008-09-29, 12:17 PM
That must be a hell of a fever, because I failed to understand the whole second paragraph there, DP. :smalleek: :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Also, I'm in a Red Hot Chili Peppers mood. Those don't come around often. :smallconfused:

DraPrime
2008-09-29, 12:20 PM
That must be a hell of a fever, because I failed to understand the whole second paragraph there, DP. :smalleek: :smallconfused: :smalltongue:

Also, I'm in a Red Hot Chili Peppers mood. Those don't come around often. :smallconfused:

Hmmm, well I may have been rambling incoherently, or are you just unfamiliar with Greek mythology. Now then, I'll be off suffering the affects of my disease.

*begins talking to the keyboard*

randman22222
2008-09-29, 12:25 PM
Oh. I was just unfamiliar about the armoured goddess bit. Needless to say, a little confused there. :smalltongue: