PDA

View Full Version : Optimising Truenamer (level 3)

Adumbration
2008-09-13, 08:55 AM
Here's what I have so far:
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=17539

This is for a level 3 apocalypse game, described as "meatgrinder with zombies." This will be my first Truenamer, so I would appreciate some help with it.

What feats should I pick? What utterances are good?

1 trait and flaw allowed.

shadow_archmagi
2008-09-13, 09:02 AM
Erm, I'm not an expert or anything, but wasn't truenamer the class that really, really sucks?

Vexxation
2008-09-13, 09:05 AM
Erm, I'm not an expert or anything, but wasn't truenamer the class that really, really sucks?

Mostly at high levels when the DCs get out of reach.

Adumbration
2008-09-13, 09:06 AM
I am aware. That's why I want to give it a shot, and came to humbly ask for thy aid at making a decent build out of it at level 3.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-09-13, 09:06 AM
A Truenamer will be difficult in a post-apocalyptic game, as magic items will be harder to come by and the Truenamer NEEDS them to keep competitive.

That said, you'll want to see if the DM will change the DC to be 15+CR rather than 15+CRx2, otherwise you'll never pull anything off.

Also, you can't really have an illiterate Truenamer...reading/writing are sort of ingrained into the class...but that's a matter of flavor, I'm assuming, so I'll let it slide.

There's really not that much optimizing that can be done, actually. Looks like you've got it decent so far.

Adumbration
2008-09-13, 09:08 AM
Actually, he is literate. I got the trait for +1 to Truespeak, and then got rid of it with two skill points. Now, I doubt that in this case the DM will be lenient, since it's supposed to be gritty.

So, any feats or utterances that are particularly worth it?

jcsw
2008-09-13, 09:39 AM
Actually, he is literate. I got the trait for +1 to Truespeak, and then got rid of it with two skill points. Now, I doubt that in this case the DM will be lenient, since it's supposed to be gritty.

So, any feats or utterances that are particularly worth it?

Gritty =/= Strict?

If you have the prerequisite magic item, an item familiar from UA can be a worthwhile thing to spend a feat on, it can give some sick bonuses to Truespeak. The main issue, though, being the DM trying to steal the item.

Adumbration
2008-09-13, 10:33 AM
If you have the prerequisite magic item, an item familiar from UA can be a worthwhile thing to spend a feat on, it can give some sick bonuses to Truespeak. The main issue, though, being the DM trying to steal the item.

That's actually a pretty good idea, though I can only invest 9 ranks to it, becouse I get it at 3rd level.

I now have +25 to my Truespeak checks. Do you think this is enough?

Demons_eye
2008-09-13, 11:03 AM
If you can try this.

Get your check mod from cha then take a level dip in marshal and bam! cha twice to skill check.

Adumbration
2008-09-13, 11:47 AM
So now I have chosen my utterances.

Inertia surge - Freedom of movement on allies, or stop your enemy. Duration, 1 round. No saving throw.

Word of Nurturing, Minor - Fast healing 1 for 5 rounds, or 1d6 damage that repeats next round if you concentrate. No saving throw.

Speed of the Zephyr - 20 feet to speed and you can walk up walls, or the speed of your enemy decreases by 10 feet. Duration, 5 rounds. No saving throw.

Any thoughts?

jcsw
2008-09-13, 11:49 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea, though I can only invest 9 ranks to it, becouse I get it at 3rd level.

I now have +25 to my Truespeak checks. Do you think this is enough?

At that level? Probably. If you're level 4 you're DM will likely set encounters up to CR 7, making for a DC of 29, so +25 should be fine, although I've never played Truenamer Before, so I wouldn't know.