PDA

View Full Version : "No one hurts my dog!"

Spiky
2008-09-13, 03:19 PM
Hinjo has now repeated this line (453 & 591), suggesting it was more than a passing fancy, rather a real character flaw/trait. IE, going nuts because of a quasi-important issue. (can paladins rage?)

"No one hurts my dog!"

This is reminiscent of some other character from another book or movie. I'm not sure what. Thought maybe the forum would like something new to brainstorm. (I think it's new, did a search) Unless V gender threads are all that is possible in the collective psyche, now.

Somewhat like: "My mother grabbed me once. ONCE!" But it's not that little Vermin.

Maybe: "He shot my hair!" But I think Vespa was a parody of something earlier, too. Does this seem familiar to anyone else?

R.O.A.
2008-09-13, 03:37 PM
It could just be writer's error. Sometimes phrases just get stuck in your head and you use them agian later without realising it's a repeat.

Or, it's Hinjo's new catchphrase :smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2008-09-13, 03:48 PM
Maybe Hinjo has a consistency in his character? No?

Ganurath
2008-09-13, 03:49 PM
Clearly, Hinjo and Ardent are exclusive.

RosesOnConcrete
2008-09-13, 05:38 PM
Or, Hinjo acts like a real dog owner. My brother, I am certain, would absolutely slaughter anyone who touched his German Shepherd. :P

dogmac
2008-09-13, 06:10 PM
I'm taking it from the "quazi-important reason" bit that you don't own dogs.....

Trust me, No one hurts my dog IS important!

I feel the same way.

NerfTW
2008-09-13, 06:17 PM
Considering Hinjo has been shown to have strong ties to family and friendship (He prayed constantly for his uncle to be healed), and we've only seen Miko and Hinjo's mounts get injured, I think it's just the difference in how they view thier mounts.

Miko viewed her mount as a fellow soldier, they sometimes get wounded, and she doesn't let emotion for her companion get the better of her.
spoiler for War and XPs bonus strip:
We see that Windstriker is the only friend she has to share New Years Eve with, so we know she considers him at least a companion.

Hinjo views his mount as a pet, and gets upset when he's injured, because it represents a failure on his part to protect his charge. (Remember Belkar's speech about Hinjo following his duty to a fault when convincing him to retreat.)

David Argall
2008-09-13, 06:40 PM
It could just be writer's error. Sometimes phrases just get stuck in your head and you use them agian later without realising it's a repeat.

Or, it's Hinjo's new catchphrase

Well, it's not likely to get used again, but it still qualifies as more catchphrase than any sort of accidental error. The phrase is just too memorable for our writer not to remember it from last time. Now whether he should have used it, maybe there is an argument, but he did it with malice and aforethought.

Spiky
2008-09-14, 09:23 AM
I'm taking it from the "quazi-important reason" bit that you don't own dogs.....

I feel the same way.

I see that, although personally I detest dogs. But there are certainly other things in my life that qualify. I think just about everyone has something they would fight to protect, even to the death.

However, my thoughts are not in reference to the exact events in OOTS comics. Hinjo's motivation is clear and understandable. I'm thinking this is yet another parody of...something. That's what I'm wondering about. I would've posted this in the Jokes You Didn't Get thread, except it isn't presented as a joke. Maybe it would've fit there, anyway.

In fact, maybe parody is incorrect in this case. It's such a common scene construct. I'm just trying to remember other similar scenes from history. Spaceballs, which I quoted earlier, is the only direct one I can come up with right now.

But on the dog issue....Argent just goes back to the celestial realm for some healing in these cases. And possibly gets to play fetch with Thor. That's why I said "quasi-important". In fact, the first time he was merely poisoned, hardly a huge issue in D&D/OOTS. This isn't real life, don't get confused.

nosignal
2008-09-14, 09:43 AM
This isn't real life? So characters can't develop strong attachments to each other because, hey, everything is just a spell away from status quo?

Really?

Woof
2008-09-14, 09:57 AM

I feel the same way.

Heh, was going to post the exact same thing.

someonenonotyou
2008-09-14, 10:34 PM
Hinjo is clearly going to multi-class to dashing swords man like elan and it's going to be his new catchphrase :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2008-09-14, 10:51 PM
I'm certain I've heard this quoted before in another comic, but I don't know what it was referring to. In the other comic the hero is losing but then he beats his enemy senseless after it damages his dog.

Demented
2008-09-14, 11:28 PM
Somehow, I doubt that this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2612747.stm) is the origin of the phrase.

Though, my best other source is the movie Hidalgo. Don't hurt that horse.

JoseB
2008-09-15, 05:22 AM
Hinjo is not the only one to use the "No one hurts my <X>!" construction in the comic... Julio Scoundrél says it as well in comic #392 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html) (when he was delivering Elan to Azure City to rescue Haley). Check the first panel of the 2nd page of this triple-length issue (context: His airship has just been hit by fire from a catapult from the Azure City defenses).

So, perhaps someonenonotyou was closer to the truth than he thought when he said......

Hinjo is clearly going to multi-class to dashing swords man like elan and it's going to be his new catchphrase :smallbiggrin:

:elan: DUN DUN DUNNNH!

Just my 2 eurocent!

Holammer
2008-09-15, 08:15 AM
If Hinjo says it again any time soon, the phrase will be upgraded to "sitcom one-liner".

Zolem
2008-09-15, 09:58 AM
Let me put it this way. People who own dogs love dogs. For example, I own a chocolate labrador, and he's the sweatest, if not the brightest, dg a person could have. And if you were to kick him, I'd shotgun your face off. What's wrong with having an atachment to pets? I know people who treat their tiny rat-dogs better than they treat their own children. And then there are normal people who treat them like equal members of the family.

Anterean
2008-09-15, 11:02 AM
Or, Hinjo acts like a real dog owner. My brother, I am certain, would absolutely slaughter anyone who touched his German Shepherd. :P

This, I would do horrible horrible things to anyone who did anything to my dog.

I find it quite possible that Hinjo cares about Argents well-being, even if he is "just" send back to celestia to heal being slashed open by a demon or poisoned is properly quite unpleasant.

B.I.T.T.
2008-09-15, 11:58 AM
It doesn't ring any specific bells with me, sorry. I think it's just Rich Burlew's way of adding a bit of flavor to the character in order to make him a little more then just a cookie-cutter paladin. Kind of like Durkon's fear of trees, or Belkar's affinity for cooking and fine foods.

Oh, and just to agree with the others about how serious dog owners can be about their dogs. I myself grew up with a dog in the house and I can't watch an entire episode of "Animal Cops" without getting supremely angry at the people on that show who neglect and/or abuse their dogs.

Belkster11
2008-09-15, 01:29 PM
I think it's just a typical reaction of a dog owner.

Being a dog owner myself, I'd go ballistic on anyone who hurts my two puppies (Hugs them both).

And by ballistic, I mean like Belkar ballistic.

Hinjo loves his dog! :smallcool:

ref
2008-09-15, 04:00 PM
Hinjo is not the only one to use the "No one hurts my <X>!" construction in the comic... Julio Scoundrél says it as well in comic #392 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html).

And, paraphrasing a little... YOU BROKE MY SWORD!!!

GSFB
2008-09-15, 08:39 PM
Bob Lee Swagger: "You don't understand how serious this is. They killed my dog."

(google it!)

theKOT
2008-09-16, 12:18 AM
Miko viewed her mount as a fellow soldier, they sometimes get wounded, and she doesn't let emotion for her companion get the better of her.

Sad fact about the end of Miko's life. She asked if she would get to see windstriker. No friend, family, or lover. She was truly alone.

Axl_Rose
2008-09-16, 12:55 AM

Seconded.

I don't think that's a "character flaw" so much as it is a case of overanalysing (if you could call it analysis) and seeing things that aren't there.

I can't speak for every dog owner, obviously, but I can say that the responsible dog owner who owns a dog for the right reasons love their dogs like family.

Sad fact about the end of Miko's life. She asked if she would get to see windstriker. No friend, family, or lover. She was truly alone.
*ANGRILY SWIPES WINE BOTTLES AND GLASSES OFF TABLE* YOU LEAVE MIKO OUT OF THIS! *bursts into tears*

Laurentio II
2008-09-16, 02:56 AM
For a reason.

My only regret is that the phrase has been played almost off screen. Hinjo is not the main character, but compared to the "Angst theater of Durkon and Vaarsuvius", it was gold.

mago
2008-09-16, 07:05 AM
i don't own a dog, but if you as much as look evilly at my ct i will kick your ARSE so hard yo mama is hurt!

Estelindis
2008-09-16, 07:49 AM
I think it's a nice character quirk for Hinjo. :smallsmile: Maybe one we can empathise with a bit more than, say, being the paladin ruler of a city. :smallbiggrin:

This, I would do horrible horrible things to anyone who did anything to my dog.
Reminds me of something that happened a few years ago... I was walking back from the park with my dog one day, and we stopped to greet some children. (My dog, unfortunately now deceased, was very friendly and gentle, and popular among local children.) One of the boys, with absolutely no provocation whatsoever, suddenly hit my dog. He couldn't have been more than nine or ten, so I could hardly "do horrible things" to him, but I turned to him and said in a very angry voice: "What did you do that for?" He looked up and shouted at me, in the most spoiled and strident voice I have ever heard coming from a child: "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!" :smallannoyed: That boy's parents have a lot to answer for...

Rogue 7
2008-09-16, 11:18 AM
I think it's a nice character quirk for Hinjo. :smallsmile: Maybe one we can empathise with a bit more than, say, being the paladin ruler of a city. :smallbiggrin:

Reminds me of something that happened a few years ago... I was walking back from the park with my dog one day, and we stopped to greet some children. (My dog, unfortunately now deceased, was very friendly and gentle, and popular among local children.) One of the boys, with absolutely no provocation whatsoever, suddenly hit my dog. He couldn't have been more than nine or ten, so I could hardly "do horrible things" to him, but I turned to him and said in a very angry voice: "What did you do that for?" He looked up and shouted at me, in the most spoiled and strident voice I have ever heard coming from a child: "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!" :smallannoyed: That boy's parents have a lot to answer for...

I would have decked him then and there. Because No, kid, you can't.

Migue
2008-09-16, 11:36 AM
He really likes his dog :smalltongue:

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-16, 12:07 PM
Reminds me of something that happened a few years ago... I was walking back from the park with my dog one day, and we stopped to greet some children. (My dog, unfortunately now deceased, was very friendly and gentle, and popular among local children.) One of the boys, with absolutely no provocation whatsoever, suddenly hit my dog. He couldn't have been more than nine or ten, so I could hardly "do horrible things" to him, but I turned to him and said in a very angry voice: "What did you do that for?" He looked up and shouted at me, in the most spoiled and strident voice I have ever heard coming from a child: "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!" *smacks* "So can I."

Little punk.

Spiky
2008-09-16, 08:48 PM
This isn't real life? So characters can't develop strong attachments to each other because, hey, everything is just a spell away from status quo?

Really?
That's right, I'm a hard-hearted bastard who wants nothing more than for all dog owners to start crying. And probably trying to kill me....because I started a thread about movie lines.

Really!

Spiky
2008-09-16, 08:55 PM
so I could hardly "do horrible things" to him, but I turned to him and said in a very angry voice: "What did you do that for?" He looked up and shouted at me, in the most spoiled and strident voice I have ever heard coming from a child: "I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!" :smallannoyed: That boy's parents have a lot to answer for...

Horrible, no. But it shouldn't be left alone.

I would've (and this is as a confirmed dog hater) picked him up, dragged him to his parents if they were near and had a lovely discussion. Not so much for the hitting persay, assuming it was minor, but for the attitude that makes the comment and the hitting possible.

If the parents weren't around, we would've gone behind a tree for a little....chat. Discipline isn't about spanking (well, not usually), and that kid clearly needed some.

Spiky
2008-09-16, 08:58 PM
And, paraphrasing a little... YOU BROKE MY SWORD!!!

You know, that's probably what I was thinking of. Hmm....

Shatteredtower
2008-09-17, 10:53 AM

You might be thinking of what TV Tropes refers to as a Berserk Button, then -- something that can set a person off. (I loathe seeing that site referenced all the damn time for the most trivial and tenuous of reasons, but this is one of the few times someone has requested to know what trope is being used.)

Radar
2008-09-17, 12:46 PM
That or for example: "Nobody calls me chicken!" (see "Back to the future").

Vossik
2008-09-21, 12:41 AM
Time for an epileptic tree.
Captain Julio Scoundrel is Hinjo's father.
As seen here, first panel second page. Enforced by the sixth and ninth panel of the first page.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-21, 03:55 AM
Time for an epileptic tree.
Captain Julio Scoundrel is Hinjo's father.
As seen here, first panel second page. Enforced by the sixth and ninth panel of the first page.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.htmlNo. do I really need to type more than that? ;)

Vossik
2008-09-21, 11:37 AM
You can't deny the evidence! learn to take a joke man.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-21, 04:02 PM
I just had to shoot that down before it became the new theory that everybody believes. That's 'Therkala is...' level, and do we really want another repeat of that?

Starbuck_II
2008-09-21, 04:17 PM
I would have decked him then and there. Because No, kid, you can't.

I feel the same. Thouugh I'd made it look like an accident. :smallbiggrin:

Bluelantern
2008-09-21, 08:17 PM
I feel the same. Thouugh I'd made it look like an accident. :smallbiggrin:

I thought my dog would attack him back so I tried to get him out of the way...
...with a brick :smallamused:

Spiky
2008-09-21, 10:29 PM
...with a brick :smallamused:

LOL!

That's good, but don't mention the brick.

Zolem
2008-09-22, 08:53 AM
...with a shotgun :smallamused:

There, I 'fixed' it.