PDA

View Full Version : The boats destination/what happens next (Spoilers!)

Prince_Selm
2008-09-13, 04:39 PM
I read War and XP's and in the back there is a guide to Azure city. In the guide, it specifically states that the Azurites are allied with the Elven Homelands! It also shows that the Homelands are across the sea from Azure city.

Think about it.
1.Azurites need help (in general, not just against Kubota)
2.Elves are allies
3.Elves are reachabe
What would you do?

Also, Vaarsuvius should know where the Homelands are and that there are wizards there (like his/her mentor from OtOoPC's) who could help him/her with finding Haley

Plus, It would let Rich drop another 50 bajillion androgenous elf jokes to drive us crazy:smallbiggrin:

So, am I crazy or did I actually find something credible?

Lira
2008-09-13, 04:40 PM
I pretty much thought the same thing when I read that part in my book. I really hope this does happen.

Enlong
2008-09-13, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a true "Ding ding ding! We have a WINNAH!" moment to me.
And I approve highly of going to the Elven lands. might be nice to see Aarindarius, too. Especially considering how Vaarsuvius is acting right now. Might be a nice opportunity for A to chew V out, or for V to gain more.. arcane... power... ...
I'm calling it right now, V'll say the Four Words to Aarindarius.

Lira
2008-09-13, 04:57 PM
We'd also get a chance to meet V's spouse (who Rich said we would see before the comic is over (In No Cure)).

Enlong
2008-09-13, 05:02 PM
We'd also get a chance to meet V's spouse (who Rich said we would see before the comic is over (In No Cure)).

Who will look exactly like V, but with green hair. :smallamused:

... And a healthy amount of Trancing, I hope.

David Argall
2008-09-13, 07:12 PM
I read War and XP's and in the back there is a guide to Azure city. In the guide, it specifically states that the Azurites are allied with the Elven Homelands! It also shows that the Homelands are across the sea from Azure city.

Think about it.
1.Azurites need help (in general, not just against Kubota)
2.Elves are allies
3.Elves are reachabe
What would you do?

So, am I crazy or did I actually find something credible?
Well, it is definitely a possibility. The presumed plot involves a visit to dwarven lands, so why not one to elven as well? While we have enough scheduled material for the next book, the one beyond that [the final one?] is still pretty empty. So there is room for it.

But there seems to be no obvious reason for us to be doing this, and V gives us an elven location 4374 miles away from the party in #220. Now V may well have selected the most distant part of the elven lands, and we might be a little closer at Azure City, but the elves do seem to be distant allies.
Note in this respect that they visited 4 groups, and took nearly 4 months to do so. And these are presumed to be each closer than the elven lands. That does not guarantee that elven lands are a month away, but it may not be easy to put them much closer.
Add in that we have maybe 80 pages left in the current book and and a fair amount scheduled for it, and there may not be room for the elves until the next book at least.

So the overall odds are against it. But since the average theory suggested around here is impossible, you are doing quite well.

Euron
2008-09-13, 08:18 PM
Call me sentimental, but the giant looming stone devil seems very "landmark"-ishy for me as a new base of operations.

Enlong
2008-09-13, 08:24 PM
Seems a bit risky, considering anyone with a Break Enchantment / Remove Curse (I can never keep them straight) could undo the petrification.

Euron
2008-09-13, 08:55 PM
True. But think simply of how badass it would be.

Right? Right?

Ahhh...

Felixaar
2008-09-14, 12:21 AM
Unfortunately, Bad-Ass is just more of a Xykon kind of thing...

I dunno. It seems reasonable but some elven escapades probably mean a V plotline, and my relationship with V is strained at the moment.

WarriorTribble
2008-09-14, 12:38 AM
Could breaking the statue's head then gluing it back on negate the ability to reverse petrification?

LuisDantas
2008-09-14, 07:29 AM
In this particular case, if it is true that this kind of fiend can't be really killed but only trapped or driven back to another plane, one would assume that damaging the statue is not safer than leaving it whole.

If anything, statue damage could conceivably release its "soul" so that it would be free to go elsewhere.

Just speculating, really.

David Argall
2008-09-14, 02:11 PM
Could breaking the statue's head then gluing it back on negate the ability to reverse petrification?

No, but it might well cause fatal damage when it is de-stoned. It likely depends on how well you fit the head back on. A certain amount of repair work is generally assumed, so if you put the head back on very carefully, it might well be assumed to be fine when you broke the enchantment. But with a careless refitting would probably mean there was still at least a wound and possibly that the head was not attached at all, and the devil immediately dies.

It is rare, but hardly unknown for a PC to be hit with things like disintegrate and gust of wind to scatter the remains. Or Flesh to Stone, then maybe Stone Shape, Rock to Mud, ... It is assumed that with patience and the right spells, the unlucky PC can be recovered without need of Raise Dead.

Prometheus
2008-09-14, 03:12 PM
We already know that they aren't going to visit the land of the dwarves until the Durkon dies (which isn't likely to happen anytime soon) and they just walked through Haley's town. It would be a nice change of setting, that rewards the book-readers.

GSFB
2008-09-15, 09:00 PM

There is a lot of room for the DM to maneuver here:

Did the spell "kill" the outsider? If so, then it returned to the lower planes, where it will spend some time regenerating. The statue is just a reminder.

Is the outsider trapped in the statue? Then breaking the statute might "kill" it, releasing it back to the lower planes, where it can reform.

Does this homebrewed outsider have special qualities? Say, regeneration? Then breaking it might not do anything permanent.

Etc.

I think a more important question is: how much XP does the party get? They might be leveling up! Will Durkon, who helped in the fight, level up enough to cast resurrection? There might not be any need to venture into Elven Lands if the party gains the power to bring back Roy and reunite everyone.

Enlong
2008-09-15, 11:16 PM
I think a more important question is: how much XP does the party get? They might be leveling up! Will Durkon, who helped in the fight, level up enough to cast resurrection? There might not be any need to venture into Elven Lands if the party gains the power to bring back Roy and reunite everyone.

Nay. 14th level doesn't represent a significant increase in spellcasting power for either Cleric or Wizard. They don't get new spell levels until 15th (o'course, that level thought is inconclusive, but likely. However, even if they did get access to 8th level spells, neither Cleric or Wizard lists have any 8th level spells that would help them find Haley and Belkar (oh sure, V would cast Discern Location as fast as he/she could, but Cloister would stop it). And in any case, V already has the necessary spell to get to Haley and Belkar. Sadly, he/she doesn't know that what he/she needs to do is to find some way to keep them from eating the dang birds from his new spell.

(FWI, I love the fact that V is researching new spells. I always loved that aspect of the Wizard abilities)

GSFB
2008-09-16, 07:55 PM
ah, but you hit on the key: research. if V advances to 15th level, then V can research EIGHTH level spells. so while the PHB may not have anything that incredible, it is possible for V to discover something new that is exactly what they need at this moment.

also, remember, at 15th level come feats.

finally, who knows what sort of prestige classes V or Durkon might qualify for next? V could be on the verge of Arch Mage status - not that the PrC gives that much more in the way of abilities than simply advancing as a wizard... but... it is one step closer to ULTIMATE ARCANE POWER!

Hmmm... four words...

DM: So, V, you qualify for several prestige classes - do you want to take one?

V: I take Arch Mage!