PDA

View Full Version : NWN 2 help

Kane
2008-09-13, 06:58 PM
I've got NWN 2, and am most of the way through it, but it's really hard for me to resume playing, mostly because of how Effing long it takes to load. On the main menu, just clicking the 'load game' works, but then it takes about five minutes for the load menu to appear. Same with game menu commands while playing, and loading when I die. It takes horrendously long, and there seems no apparent reason for it. It works fine while playing, and lowering settings doesn't effect it.

PLEASE help!

AlterForm
2008-09-13, 09:03 PM
Computer specs please? RAM (speed, amount, brand maybe), processor (speed, 1 or 2 cores, Intel or AMD), Hard Drive (size, space used, RPM setting), Graphics Card (Brand, Model, number, and size in MB).

Flickerdart
2008-09-13, 09:18 PM
NWN2 has draconian load times. But the menu shouldn't take so long to appear. On my ancient rig (2.01 GHz AMD, nVidia GeForce 7600GS, 1GB RAM) the load menu appeared instantly, though after that loads could easily last a minute or more. I think the expansion pack fixes that a little bit.

A little bit of Google-fu brings up the Tweak Guide (http://www.tweakguides.com/NWN2_1.html) to the game. Those guys are very good at what they do...take a look.

Breltar
2008-09-14, 05:55 PM
Make sure you are updated as well.

AlterForm
2008-09-14, 06:04 PM
Make sure you are updated as well.

Hot damn, yes. v1.0 was horribly unoptimized for resource usage. As of v1.14(?) the game is much better at not being a computer-killer.

Kane
2008-09-14, 06:19 PM
Well, I installed MotB, in case that helped. (it didn't.) They're both fully updated, and I have the settings as low as I can. (It also is crashing pretty frequently, another turn-off). I skimmed through the tweaking guide, but they didn't seem to mention affecting the menus...

DeathQuaker
2008-09-15, 07:19 AM
One thing that occurs to me is that 1.14 contained a SecuROM update that messed with some folks' computers; it could be it's trying to run a CD check and something's not working right with that, which is why it's taking forever to load. There is a fix out there for that; check the SecuROM website or the NWN2 Boards at Bioware.

I could totally off base here---you haven't posted your specs yet and it could be as simple as needing better video memory, or perhaps it's a Vista compatibility issue if you have Vista.

And yeah, scour the Bioware boards for help (NWN2's official forums are located there). They usually have both Devs from Obsidian as well as savvy players who can help quickly.

But there, again, you need to give them your specs.

Breltar
2008-09-15, 09:43 AM
Did you install MOTB before or after updating NWN2?

I have heard of folks having issues if you dont do it in this order...

Install NWN2
Update NWN2 fully
Install MoTB
Update MoTB fully

If you didnt do it in that order it might be some bugginess from the install.

Kane
2008-09-15, 10:11 AM
Well, I had it for about 6 months as NWN 2, updated it fully at the begining, yet it still had a MotB logo. I couldn't play it, it just said 'mask of the betrayer' while starting up. I installed MotB two days ago, and updated that fully. But the loading problems has been always.

Intel Core 2 Duo
[email protected]
2.19GHz, 2.00 gigs of ram

And XP, home edition, SP2.

DeathQuaker
2008-09-15, 11:04 AM
You've got a good rig, and looks like you updated in the right order, so my guess it's a software conflict.

If you disable spyware-detectors and antivirus software, does it work better? (Make sure you're not connected to the Internet in this case.)

Breltar
2008-09-15, 02:55 PM
Some of the dual core setups still run like crap with NWN2 because the program doesnt utilize both cores fully. Try running it under a single core perhaps and see?

btw, there is a new service pack out for win xp. Sp3 should be available in windows updater.