PDA

View Full Version : Will Therkla replace Belkar?

Oxymoron
2008-09-13, 08:34 PM
I'm wondering if Therkla will replace Belkar? The Belkster isn't long for this world afterall, and there has to be a reason for making the Therkla character. I mean, neighter the imp or Kubota is going to last much longer, since they are only minor villains afterall, but I don't think Therkla is going to die from this conflict. So, what do you guys think? Will Therkla make a good or rather evil contribution to the team? Personally, I really hope no-one will replace Belkar, because he is such a cool, though psychotic, character. Therkla just seems less funny, an evil light if you will.

Euron
2008-09-13, 08:57 PM
Well, as cool as it may sound, Belkar's death is a long way off. Likely it will signify the end (or the imminent end) of the strip altogether.

An Enemy Spy
2008-09-13, 08:58 PM
Nobody's gonna (or could ever) replace Belkar. He still has a year of life, and that could last to the end of the strip.
Ninjaed

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-09-13, 09:11 PM
Sure, why not? Although Thog currently holds the "Evil Opposite" role from Roy, Therkla can be the "smart and good" opposite of this strip's other half-orc.

And I for one favor more orcs! Especially slightly off the beaten path orcs.

Hurray for Warcraft! Bringing orcs up from squallor and into their own! :smalltongue:

Staven
2008-09-13, 09:15 PM
First of all, the strip isn't going to end. There's just going to be a bit of a "sequel" set of just as many strips after Xykon is dead and the snarl is defeated. Second, belkar is irreplaceable. Therkla, I believe, is going to die soon, not our crew-cutted friend. And third, Therkla is not good, just redeemably evil. That said, I'm predicting that in the latest comic, V went off not to do something rash but to save Elan.

Kaihaku
2008-09-13, 09:21 PM
Um... Am I the only one who thinks that Belkar might not die?

Wasn't it something like "He will breath his last." This IS the oracle, wording is important. Maybe he'll become an undead halfling or something.

Hippoboy
2008-09-13, 09:41 PM

Wasn't it something like "He will breath his last." This IS the oracle, wording is important. Maybe he'll become an undead halfling or something.

All men need hope. I also hope that Belkar becomes something which amplifies his slashy-ness

Rogue 7
2008-09-13, 09:42 PM
I'd actually be in favor of this change. Belkar's been getting more and more out of control recently, too much so for my taste.

FujinAkari
2008-09-13, 09:51 PM
Nobody's gonna (or could ever) replace Belkar. He still has a year of life, and that could last to the end of the strip.
Ninjaed

He had less than a year to live nine months ago...

The oracle has been decidedly straight forward in all his answers thus far. The confusion was in the context, but not in his verbosity.

Kish
2008-09-13, 10:11 PM

Unfortunately, not.

"He will take his last breath--ever--before the end of the year."
"He's not long for the world, anyway."
"...shouldn't bother funding his IRA..."
"...should savor his next birthday cake..."

An undead halfling would still be in the world. Clearly, all these mean that one of us is going to be surprised--I if Belkar doesn't die and not come back, and you if he does.

Kaihaku
2008-09-13, 10:31 PM
The oracle has been decidedly straight forward in all his answers thus far. The confusion was in the context, but not in his verbosity.

Um... Right...

Belkar "isn't long for this world" and "will draw his last breath." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html) So, fair enough, if the "verbosity" of his questions are clear and not the "context" why were those statements worded in such a manner? The Oracle did not state "he will die". Durkon is going home "posthumously", that's pretty straightforward. It's like a Wish spell, what unforeseen twisted way will it unfold?

Mauve Shirt
2008-09-13, 11:06 PM

Have to die to become undead, don't you?

Kish
2008-09-13, 11:10 PM
Um... Right...

Belkar "isn't long for this world" and "will draw his last breath." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html) So, fair enough, if the "verbosity" of his questions are clear and not the "context" why were those statements worded in such a manner?

Why did he name the village Lickmyorangeballshalfling? Because that's how the Oracle expresses himself.

The Oracle did not state "he will die".

And if he had used those words, would you believe that that meant Belkar was leaving the strip permanently, or would you still expect him to become an undead halfling or something?

Ryzorrin
2008-09-13, 11:26 PM
If the Oracle said "he will die" I would think, great, Belkar is going to start rolling d20s.

factotum
2008-09-14, 01:59 AM
I find it amazing the number of people who don't want Belkar to go. Not only have we been told on two separate occasions he's going to die, everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that he's an evil little twerp whose death will make the OotS world just a little bit of a better place to live--especially if you happen to be a travelling gnome trader.

Red XIV
2008-09-14, 02:14 AM
For those trying to come up with a way for the Oracle's prophecy to mean something other than Belkar's permanent death...yes, I understand that it's a common theme in fiction for oracles to be give answers that mean something completely different from the most obvious interpretation. But this particular Oracle has seemed to be remarkably straightforward. His answers aren't necessarily useful (see: "In his throne room." as the answer for "Where is Xykon?"), but you don't have to twist their meaning to make them accurate.

Lord Seth
2008-09-14, 02:19 AM
First of all, the strip isn't going to end. There's just going to be a bit of a "sequel" set of just as many strips after Xykon is dead and the snarl is defeated.Do you, er, have any kind of source for this claim?

I find it amazing the number of people who don't want Belkar to go. Not only have we been told on two separate occasions he's going to die, everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that he's an evil little twerp whose death will make the OotS world just a little bit of a better place to live--especially if you happen to be a travelling gnome trader.A better place to live, sure...a less entertaining place to watch, though.

Mr. Bean
2008-09-14, 05:00 AM
I find it amazing the number of people who don't want Belkar to go. Not only have we been told on two separate occasions he's going to die, everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that he's an evil little twerp whose death will make the OotS world just a little bit of a better place to live--especially if you happen to be a travelling gnome trader.

This strip is not about how well the adventurers are going to make it in the world, but about how funny it is that they aren't (sometimes). Belkar is the humour in the group. If this was true adventurers set, then yes, you should immediately remove Belkar, but it isn't.

Also, since time passes as fast or as slow as the plot wants it to pass, Belkar could "breathe his last" in between now and just before the end of the strip. It does not necessarily mean he will be permanently removed from the strip, it could mean anything.

Connington
2008-09-14, 05:05 AM
I might like it if that happened actually. New jokes are always good.

Jubal_Barca
2008-09-14, 07:04 AM
Could Belkar become a god? That WOULD be funny.

Staven
2008-09-14, 11:32 AM
Do you, er, have any kind of source for this claim?

Webcomics (good ones) last as long as their fanbases care. I'm guessing that since you all bother to post on the OOTS forum, that you like the comic. Therefore, it'd be kind of...wrong to end the comic with the end of Roy's quest. The Giant is a good writer, he'll think of something, I'm sure of it.

Flickerdart
2008-09-14, 11:41 AM
Therkla would make a terrible Belkar (since she doesn't like wanton violence as much as Death's Little Helper) but she'd make a decent parallel to Thog, considering Roy died. Which may also mean he's not coming back at all, but it's still too early to tell.

David Argall
2008-09-14, 12:45 PM

Belkar has about 3 months left. The city was taken out in January, and about March Miss Kato got knocked up. She is a good 6 months along now, maybe a good deal more. So it's September or October in the strip and Belkar bites it by the end of the year. Now there are some hints he may stay in the strip anyway, but that is not going to be as a party member.
The presumed plotline involves extensive travel, which should take well over 3 months. The party can get some teleporting, so it's not certain, but barring insisting Belkar is in the final scene he is most unlikely to be.

I'm wondering if Therkla will replace Belkar? The Belkster isn't long for this world afterall, and there has to be a reason for making the Therkla character. I don't think Therkla is going to die from this conflict. So, what do you guys think? Will Therkla make a good or rather evil contribution to the team?
Belkar will not be replaced by Therkla. They play much different roles. She could be added to the party, or Belkar removed, with no serious effect on the other.
Therkla has some very good themes that could be played for a long time. [See Betty in Archie Comics.] But they are not Belkar's themes. Personally, I would consider his removal a serious flaw to the strip and Therkla would not be an adequate replacement in any sense, but the two decisions are not really related.

Now unlike most other candidates for team membership, Therkla does have motive and a lack of ties to stop her. She wants Elan, and All she can hope for with the Azure City crowd is a jail cell. So joining the OOTS, whether or not they want her, is an option. And she has been shown in a manner that makes us like her, which suggests her demise is not scheduled.
But the odds are she will be last seen in this book.

The Tygre
2008-09-14, 12:56 PM
Honestly, I can't see Therkla replacing Belkar. I'm not even sure Belkar will disappear; I'm putting money him being an undead or being re-incarnated as his riding dog or something humorous like that. There will understandably be a Belkar absence trial period; Belkar will die and fully disappear for a while, and Rich will gauge fan reactions. If it is Yay to dead Belkar, than dead Belkar shall remain. If it goes Nay, than the Belkster will undoubtedly rise again. Either way, I see Therkla as more of a Haley-rival-storyline thing.

Euron
2008-09-14, 01:30 PM
Belkar is going to die. Poof, no undead, no pie-loving halfling, no respirator. There is no loophole. Get over it.

Rich already knows how the comic will end, and because the story is about the Order of the Stick (hey, imagine that?) I imagine that the end of the story comes quite shortly after the Order becomes incomplete.
Logic is a great thing.

Flickerdart
2008-09-14, 01:42 PM
Belkar is going to die. Poof, no undead, no pie-loving halfling, no respirator. There is no loophole. Get over it.

Rich already knows how the comic will end, and because the story is about the Order of the Stick (hey, imagine that?) I imagine that the end of the story comes quite shortly after the Order becomes incomplete.
Logic is a great thing.
The Order is already incomplete. Roy died. So that theory doesn't work.

Euron
2008-09-14, 01:51 PM
The Order is already incomplete. Roy died. So that theory doesn't work.

Oh, ur so clever! In a world where death is so without meaning, the phrase "take his last breath ever" is pretty important. What causes permanent death, that is a pretty large part of this story?

Oh, right. The thing that devours souls.

In that context, someone dying is a whole lot more severe, as Roy is simply... how could you put it? On an extended leave of absence?

Flickerdart
2008-09-14, 02:18 PM
I'm not seeing your point...Roy is dead. That fits any definition of "incomplete" that I can muster. Since they cannot at the moment bring him back, they are incomplete. If you take a slice of pie, the pie is now incomplete until you put it back. It's not "on an extended leave of absence".

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-14, 02:34 PM
Not only that, but death is entirely meaningful in this world. Aside from the fact that it's been what, 140 strips now since Roy bit the dust (and now, mind you, requires a True Resurrection spell to return to life), let's see--Shojo died and that was final, Miko died and by all appearances that was final, the High Priest of the 12 Gods, the highest level wizard in Azure City, and let's not forget about Eugene Greenhilt. Or Dorukan, Lirian and Soon. Yes, none of those are main characters, but if that's the argument, then that brings us back to Roy.

People die, even main characters, deal with it Belkar-philes.

Oh as for the original question, yes I think Therkla will join the party (if she doesn't make a Heroic Sacrifice), but that would be independent of Belkar's demise.

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-14, 04:59 PM
I agree with those who say that Therkla joining and Belkar leaving the party are unrelated.

I also agree that Belkar is going to have a permanent death, far before the end of the comic.

Rich has stated he knows how the comic will end, so I sincerely doubt he'll do a cheesy sequel. That said, I think the furthest we could be in the storyline is about halfway through at this point. I don't remember where, but Rich said that there would be at least 7 books (and I think that he meant not including prequels) and those who have read the commentaries in the books know that he tends to take more strips to do things then he originally intends.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why so many people want Belkar to stay in the comic forever. He is no longer funny at this point - yes, he was earlier, in a sick sort of way, but now he's just a disgusting object to throw away in this strip.

I don't know whether Therkla will join, but as unlikely as it seems, I think it would be pretty cool if Hinjo joined.

-Fiery Diamond

Oxymoron
2008-09-14, 05:16 PM
We want Belkar to stay because he is funny and unpredictable. The evils and horrors he commits aren't real you see, so why so many choose to take a moral stand against him is beyond me. The Joker in Batman is far worse if you ask me.

chiasaur11
2008-09-14, 05:53 PM
We want Belkar to stay because he is funny and unpredictable. The evils and horrors he commits aren't real you see, so why so many choose to take a moral stand against him is beyond me. The Joker in Batman is far worse if you ask me.

Yeah, but Batman tries to stop the Joker.

And, even if you like him, desperately trying to find loopholes in the prophecies of one of the few oracles who doesn't frame prophecies in a way for maximum deception is a little odd.

Besides, Belkar doesn't know, so lying here does the smart little wiseacre no good at all.

Red XIV
2008-09-14, 06:13 PM
Belkar has about 3 months left. The city was taken out in January, and about March Miss Kato got knocked up. She is a good 6 months along now, maybe a good deal more. So it's September or October in the strip and Belkar bites it by the end of the year. Now there are some hints he may stay in the strip anyway, but that is not going to be as a party member.
The presumed plotline involves extensive travel, which should take well over 3 months. The party can get some teleporting, so it's not certain, but barring insisting Belkar is in the final scene he is most unlikely to be.
There's one additional factor to consider in figuring out how much time Belkar could have left: Azure City uses a different calendar.

The Tygre
2008-09-14, 07:04 PM
It's not so odd to find loopholes. A lot of us still like Belkar; we need him as our inner psychopaths. (If you wanna' bitch and moan about that, the line for people who care is between my cat's ass and his litter, 'kay?) It's just that we find the Oracle's phrasing odd. I mean, 'Breathes his last breath'? Why not just say 'Ultimately, permanently, die' or 'Thrown into the impenetrable jaws of Oblivion' or 'Disappear from this strip forever'? It just seems a little odd, a little specific, just exactly the kind of thing that would be exploited through some kind of Deus Ex Machina.

Belkarsbadside1
2008-09-14, 07:46 PM
Therkla in my opinion is to bland. I admit that she plays a good part. I would like to see her live, but I see tragic sacrifice coming up. If not, she would become a stalker of elan that would pop up from time to time.

archon_huskie
2008-09-14, 07:55 PM
It's not so odd to find loopholes. A lot of us still like Belkar; we need him as our inner psychopaths. (If you wanna' bitch and moan about that, the line for people who care is between my cat's ass and his litter, 'kay?) It's just that we find the Oracle's phrasing odd. I mean, 'Breathes his last breath'? Why not just say 'Ultimately, permanently, die' or 'Thrown into the impenetrable jaws of Oblivion' or 'Disappear from this strip forever'? It just seems a little odd, a little specific, just exactly the kind of thing that would be exploited through some kind of Deus Ex Machina.

Yes, but if Belkar has one last birthday cake left, then it should be on the calander that Belkar uses. What calander does the Halfing use?

Starbuck_II
2008-09-14, 08:08 PM
For those trying to come up with a way for the Oracle's prophecy to mean something other than Belkar's permanent death...yes, I understand that it's a common theme in fiction for oracles to be give answers that mean something completely different from the most obvious interpretation. But this particular Oracle has seemed to be remarkably straightforward. His answers aren't necessarily useful (see: "In his throne room." as the answer for "Where is Xykon?"), but you don't have to twist their meaning to make them accurate.

Yes, he does twist meanings. Look at 567. He twisted the meanings to include Roy dying. The Oracle even admitted he twisted them. "I wasn't buying those theories either..." Before he died.

That means the Oraclre does twist meaning. It does'nt mean what he says but what he wants it to mean.

Remember, death means trapped in another plane (same as Miko's horse). So, as long as it almost fits what he means than he can say it.

It doesn't therefore mean he will die.

1) He could be sired by a vampire (no more breathing)
2) Imprisoned (you do'nt need to breath while in that state): Maybe Belkar draws from a Deck of Many Things.
3) Etc

The Tygre
2008-09-14, 08:12 PM
Bilbo-cal calendar.:smallbiggrin:

The Belkster doesn't live by a calendar. The Belkster just kills...and waits. For more killing.

Guchalez
2008-09-14, 09:35 PM
I think Belkar will die and i'm sad about it, i kind of like the little slayer, bit that doesn't have to mean out of the comic. He might remain as a ghost or something (:xykon:actually i'm thinking a dead knight, a really weird one anyway).

And no, there's no way Therkla can replace Belkar, their names may sound alike but there is no similarity between them(other than the E in the alignment). I'm thinking Therkla is more of a stalking character, and may become a replacing character whenever the party breaks again, like Celia is.

But any theory is just that, it all comes to: What are the Gaint's plans for the strip? and nobody can answer that.

Malik
2008-09-14, 09:50 PM

remember belkar will last an in comic year not a real time year
which the oracle states in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html)

Red XIV
2008-09-14, 09:50 PM
Yes, he does twist meanings. Look at 567. He twisted the meanings to include Roy dying. The Oracle even admitted he twisted them. "I wasn't buying those theories either..." Before he died.
That prophecy was fulfilled in an utterly straightforward manner. Also, there was no twisting of meaning to have Roy's death be considered a fulfillment. That would be a problem with Belkar's question, not the Oracle's answer. The Oracle answers the questions that people ask, even if poor wording of the question means they'll be getting an answer other than what they actually want.

Lord Seth
2008-09-14, 10:02 PM
Belkar is going to die. Poof, no undead, no pie-loving halfling, no respirator. There is no loophole. Get over it.The Oracle says he will "breathe his last breath ever". All that means is Belkar won't be breathing anymore. For all we know that means he could somehow become a Lich like Xykon. (which I suppose technically counts as a death, but he's not dead-dead)

If a prophecy uses some kind of euphemism for death rather than outright using the word, there's a darn good chance that the author picked that euphemism for a reason, as some kind of Prophecy Twist.

The Tygre
2008-09-14, 10:19 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Belkar became an undead and was immediately killed afterword. Probably by Durkon; it seems the kind of twist that the Giant would take.

Alternatively, he may literally become a sexy, shoeless, god of war. What? Outsiders don't breathe...

OMG! That statement just made me think of something. What if Belkar dies but it's like with Roy...somehow.

Verosce
2008-09-15, 12:41 AM
There's also a possibility that Belkar will just change his name. Belkar will breathe his last! It's the Obi-Wan Mentality.:smallsmile:

Teron
2008-09-15, 01:22 AM
The Oracle says he will "breathe his last breath ever". All that means is Belkar won't be breathing anymore. For all we know that means he could somehow become a Lich like Xykon. (which I suppose technically counts as a death, but he's not dead-dead)

If a prophecy uses some kind of euphemism for death rather than outright using the word, there's a darn good chance that the author picked that euphemism for a reason, as some kind of Prophecy Twist.
The Oracle also said that Belkar "isn't long for this world." Unless you want to argue he'll be both undead-ified and planeshifted permanently, and remain in the comic as a vampire in Hell or some such.

Webcomics (good ones) last as long as their fanbases care. I'm guessing that since you all bother to post on the OOTS forum, that you like the comic. Therefore, it'd be kind of...wrong to end the comic with the end of Roy's quest. The Giant is a good writer, he'll think of something, I'm sure of it.
Good storytellers give their creations proper endings eventually, rather than dragging them out forever. Mr. Burlew has stated repeatedly that he has already planned the end of the comic (and even that he knows specifically what the final panel will be). What he'll do afterwards is anyone's guess; we can only hope he'll begin an equally enjoyable new creative endeavour.

slayerx
2008-09-15, 01:37 AM
I doubt she'd replace Belkar...
I mean, when it comes down to it, she's not funny... And that's Belkars main role in the strip, to kill things and provide comic relief. With belkar gone we loose a bit of the comedy and will need something to replace it... We'd need a character that was funny and can make great chemistry with the other cast members for jokes

Not ot mention, by all means, Therkla is considering an NPC... To be a true member of the order of the stick you need to be a PC. And that pretty much means they need to be an adventurer of some sort.

But the fact that he is a "murderous evil twerp" is why we love them...
Think about Richard, Black Mage, heterodyne castle, and all the other mass murdering characters out there... where would these stories be if not for the mayham that they cause?

I'll tell you what... they would be a lot less funny thats for sure
Belkar is not just a murderous evil twerp... he's OUR murderous evil twerp

A "good writer" should know when to quit the story and move on.
Hell look at most mangas in the professional world... countless mangas have come to an end with no continuation. The writers move on to a new project. A Good writer understands that all great stories need an ending

going beyond the story can be dangerous for a writer because the end of the story is the real high point... go beyond that and you could very easily jump over the preverbal shark (Dominic-deegan for instance used to be a pretty good comic, but then it kept on moving forward when it should have stopped and its been going downhill for years)... for webcomics or just about any story, the comic strives on and becomes popular through the interest in the story and the anticipation that the audience feels for what will come next... once the main story is over, all that anticipation and interest in the story is lost; your practically starting from scratch only now your working with recognized characters that have already been heavily developed... The best thing a writer can do is end the story and start a new story with fresh characters that are just ripe for development

[edit]ninja'd

David Argall
2008-09-15, 02:16 AM
There's one additional factor to consider in figuring out how much time Belkar could have left: Azure City uses a different calendar.

While one can argue, the Azure City calendar is the one the Oracle is presumed to be using.

lord of kobolds
2008-09-15, 10:19 AM
I can say only one thing. The day Belkar dies is the day I, and most likely some other readers, stop reading OOtS. I don't think this statement will affect anything, but there it is. Do you think Rich really wants to lose that many readers?

Linkavitch
2008-09-15, 10:39 AM

That would be extremely cool and/or disturbing.

Vossik
2008-09-15, 10:43 AM
I am hoping that if Belkar does become undead he won't be in the order any longer but fighting for Xylon.

Jubal_Barca
2008-09-15, 11:15 AM
I still want Belkar to be a god. Or some kind of recurring spirit, like Roy's dad.

Worshippers sign up here...

B.I.T.T.
2008-09-15, 11:23 AM
Question 1: Will Therkla replace Belkar?

Answer: If she does (which I kinda doubt) it won't be for very long. Long enough for the comic triangle tension between her, Elan and Haley.

Question 2: Will Belkar die?

Answer: I don't know, and most likely won't find out until it actually happens. I mean "Breaths his last" could just mean that he puts on one of those "strange belts" and stops being a "He", but of course that doesn't explain "don't fund IRA" and "savor next birthday cake" So I'm just going to not worry about it until it happens.

Question 3: Why is Belkar popular?

Answer: I don't know, but there are some punchlines that can really only come from Belkar. With him gone they'd have to find someone else to say "That was so friggin' cool." when he chops off a hydra head and two grow back.

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-15, 01:57 PM
Food for thought: Therkla is a near-anagram of Belkar, with the only difference being "Th" and "B". Interestingly enough, the Greek characters those two are based on, Theta and Beta, have vaguely similar orthographic construction.

Coincidence? :smallsmile:

B.I.T.T.
2008-09-15, 04:13 PM
Food for thought: Therkla is a near-anagram of Belkar, with the only difference being "Th" and "B". Interestingly enough, the Greek characters those two are based on, Theta and Beta, have vaguely similar orthographic construction.

Coincidence? :smallsmile:

That'd be my guess.

Kish
2008-09-15, 09:12 PM
I can say only one thing. The day Belkar dies is the day I, and most likely some other readers, stop reading OOtS. I don't think this statement will affect anything, but there it is. Do you think Rich really wants to lose that many readers?
I think he plans to follow through with the plot he's already planned out, and will do so.

However, I'm guessing Belkar's death will be near the end.

Fitzclowningham
2008-09-15, 09:54 PM
Every time there's a Belkar's death thread, all I can think of is: How will Rich depict the Abyss?"* What form will Belkar's rude awakening into eternity take? There just *has* to be stab-stab-stab-stab-stab in the Abyss, I'm sure of it, and I want to see it, and how the whole shoeless thing works when the ground is on fire.

Also, it would be a great symmetry to have two major threads in opposing planes.

And, if the demonic/diabolical bigwigs behind Sabine and/or Qarr become major players in the story, Belkar's visit there could provide the perfect pretext to introduce them.

* Or whatever it's called these days

Warren Dew
2008-09-15, 09:59 PM

I'm one of the people who agrees he's an evil little twerp. However, from the standpoint of the story, he added a certain kind of humor - at least as long as he was kept marginally under control by Roy - that the strip now lacks. I don't expect him to recover and go back to being himself, but I do think the strip will be the poorer for the lack of him.

Therkla could be interesting if she stays around - it would be very interesting to see who people root for if there are two worthwhile rivals for Elan's attentions. That kind of story, while original, would be a very big change for the strip, though.

Fitzclowningham
2008-09-15, 10:20 PM
This is a D&D story. There is a lot of violence in D&D stories; that's kind of the point. It's about killing stuff, which you get to do in the fantasy realm. It's evil here, but it's fun there. That's why it's possible to play evil PCs. Having that depicted in a comic is to be expected. I don't know why anybody has a problem with that idea.

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-15, 11:18 PM
Because some people are idealists instead of psychopaths?

The Tygre
2008-09-16, 05:42 AM
Every time there's a Belkar's death thread, all I can think of is: How will Rich depict the Abyss?"* What form will Belkar's rude awakening into eternity take? There just *has* to be stab-stab-stab-stab-stab in the Abyss, I'm sure of it, and I want to see it, and how the whole shoeless thing works when the ground is on fire.

Also, it would be a great symmetry to have two major threads in opposing planes.

And, if the demonic/diabolical bigwigs behind Sabine and/or Qarr become major players in the story, Belkar's visit there could provide the perfect pretext to introduce them.

* Or whatever it's called these days

You know, I never thought of it that way. When you put it in that perspective, it might be kind of interesting to watch Belkar die. Maybe I'm just going through five stages.

Ah, but the psychopaths are so much more entertaining. Remember, go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

Guchalez
2008-09-16, 08:31 AM

I don't think it's about being a psychopath or an idealist, this comic is about being fun, and Belkar is ment to be funny (he was probably created for that purpouse) and i do believe taht the strip would lose a lot if he's gone, so i don't believe the Giant will let his pass to oblivion:belkar:.

Texas Jedi
2008-09-16, 08:53 AM
I have a theory. Everybody is talking about Belkar dying and becoming undead. What if he just puts on the girdle of gender changing. "He" would have taken his last breath. "He" isn't "long" for this world. "He" should enjoy "his" last birthday cake. Shouldn't fund "his" IRA.

All of those things could be changed if "he" changed into a "she". Heck the "long" part would be taken out because "he" wouldn't have the proper equipment.

I know that is a long shot but it solves all of the problems without Belkar dying.

Iuris
2008-09-16, 09:13 AM
Now THAT would be the best solution of this thread. Not even half the man he was, but double the fun :)

Not to mention it would give a certain fighter a chance at a bit of... payback :smallamused:

Neopolis
2008-09-16, 09:30 AM
Rich is an artist, not some cheap-ass on smack jeeves. A real writer writes to create a plot, and only a sell-out would let a character due for death live because of what the fans want. Although I like Belkar, I would love to see him die, for the good of the plot.

Dragon87110
2008-09-16, 11:57 AM
Could Belkar become a god? That WOULD be funny.

Well.... he does call himself the "Sexy Halfling God Of War".....

Dragon87110
2008-09-16, 12:01 PM
I have a theory. Everybody is talking about Belkar dying and becoming undead. What if he just puts on the girdle of gender changing. "He" would have taken his last breath. "He" isn't "long" for this world. "He" should enjoy "his" last birthday cake. Shouldn't fund "his" IRA.

All of those things could be changed if "he" changed into a "she". Heck the "long" part would be taken out because "he" wouldn't have the proper equipment.

I know that is a long shot but it solves all of the problems without Belkar dying.

Now that would be an interesting solution.... It would solve the necessary predicament without Belkar actually having to die..... Hmmmmmm *ponders*

David Argall
2008-09-16, 05:18 PM
A real writer writes to create a plot, and only a sell-out would let a character due for death live because of what the fans want.
This is approximately 90% of all serious writers. The rest are called "unread" and often enough "unreadable".

RebelRogue
2008-09-16, 06:02 PM
I doubt Rich will use some weird loophole to keep Belkar alive. That's just not his style. Personally, I love Belkar and my first thought is that the strip will be significantly less funny without him, but I'm sure Rich has something spectacular up his sleeve both comedy- and plotwise for this event.

dps
2008-09-16, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Belkar is going to die, and stay dead, though it's possible that he'll stay in the comic as a ghost, or we'll be shown his experiences in the afterlife, as we have with Roy. I expect his death will take place near the end of the story, though.

Holammer
2008-09-16, 06:52 PM

This is along the lines that I've been thinking. The fact that Belkar is about to die is presented so clearly, it makes it look like an obvious setup, ripe for a surprise story twist. "Belkarina" could also have limitless comedy potential. No longer one of the guys, and not welcome among the other girls. It'd be awesome. He (she?) could use the craft disturbing mental image feat at its highest potential! :smallsmile:

alfredbester
2008-09-16, 07:51 PM
The kobold said exactly "Belkar will draw his last breath -- ever -- before the end of the year. I see you guys have never DM'ed the Wish spell before.

It could just mean sometime within the comic-year he'll draw a dragon breathing fire on the wall in the fresh blood of his kill, take a look at it, and say, "Jeez, I really suck at drawing. I'll never draw the breath of a dragon again."

:thog:

David Argall
2008-09-16, 09:18 PM
What if he just puts on the girdle of gender changing. "He" would have taken his last breath. "He" isn't "long" for this world. "He" should enjoy "his" last birthday cake. Shouldn't fund "his" IRA.

One problem is that the Oracle didn't say "He isn't long for this world." He said "Your pal isn't long for this world. Now Roy doesn't like the idea of thinking of Belkar as a friend, and lots of guys have trouble thinking of a girl as a pal, but the presumptive meaning here is that it don't work. Belkar is not going to escape the plot doom by changing sex.

chiasaur11
2008-09-16, 09:36 PM
This is approximately 90% of all serious writers. The rest are called "unread" and often enough "unreadable".

Eh, decent writers have spared characters due to fandom.

Not often, but...

jimbo_the_tubby
2008-09-17, 10:49 AM
I don't have my trades with me right now, but didn't Rich say in one of the commentaries that even *if* Belkar dies, the comic will continue to follow him?

T-O-E
2008-09-18, 10:35 AM
I think the newest strip just answered your question. :smallfrown:

The Tygre
2008-09-18, 11:14 AM
A-yep. Case closed, boys and girls.

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-18, 11:16 AM
Not really, no.

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-09-18, 11:40 AM
Well it at least answered the title question of this thread. Therkla made it quite clear that she has no intention of being raised as long as Haley is with Elan, so she's definitely not replacing Belkar, when and if he does show the comic readers what the Chaotic Evil afterlife looks like.

-JM

Moff Chumley
2008-09-18, 11:43 AM
:smallfrown:
Well, this question looks pretty moot.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-09-18, 12:10 PM
Oops - Apparently not then.

Killersquid
2008-09-18, 01:21 PM
:smallfrown:
Well, this question looks pretty moot.

Not moot anymore, moot means you can debate it, this isn't debateable :smalltongue:

Dacia Brabant
2008-09-18, 01:52 PM
Not moot anymore, moot means you can debate it, this isn't debateable :smalltongue:

Moot actually has the unique distinction of having two meanings that are the opposite of each other: up for debate, and pointless to debate. The latter meaning though admittedly came into use incorrectly but is so widely used that it has become an accepted definition.

But yes, so much for this theory. :(

David Argall
2008-09-18, 04:04 PM
Well, if we really want her back...

V [probably with the aid of a necromancer, or maybe with Durkon's help] calls forth Therkla's spirit. She is ordered to hunt down Haley and get her back to the rest of the party. As reward she gets to beg Haley for a share of Elan. Haley decides she can share [a distinctly shocking decision by our paragon of greed] and Therkla is raised and allowed to cuddle with Elan thereafter. [Neither lass is of course satisfied with the arrangement, and they spend much time and effort trying to increase their share thereafter.]

But yes, 593 pretty much eliminates the theory that Therkla is going to join the party.

UncleWolf
2008-09-18, 04:16 PM
Well, if we really want her back...

V [probably with the aid of a necromancer, or maybe with Durkon's help] calls forth Therkla's spirit. She is ordered to hunt down Haley and get her back to the rest of the party. As reward she gets to beg Haley for a share of Elan. Haley decides she can share [a distinctly shocking decision by our paragon of greed] and Therkla is raised and allowed to cuddle with Elan thereafter. [Neither lass is of course satisfied with the arrangement, and they spend much time and effort trying to increase their share thereafter.]

But yes, 593 pretty much eliminates the theory that Therkla is going to join the party.

I can actually see that happening.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-18, 04:20 PM
I can actually see that happening.

I think it's a bit too far fetched. Mostly from the V's involvment angle. But I'm not so sure that, aside from that, it would be out of the question. Haley has indicated some... flexibility in those areas if I recall correctly.

archon_huskie
2008-09-18, 05:59 PM
I think it's a bit too far fetched. Mostly from the V's involvment angle. But I'm not so sure that, aside from that, it would be out of the question. Haley has indicated some... flexibility in those areas if I recall correctly.

Half-orc
consider these things.

Haleyintraining
2008-09-18, 06:48 PM
No, because she is dead.

Emanick
2008-09-18, 07:04 PM
Eh, decent writers have spared characters due to fandom.

Not often, but...

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle spared Sherlock Holmes after "The Final Problem," and he didn't even WANT to. He was more than decent, too.
Drastic levels of fandom can do that to an author. :smalltongue:

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-18, 07:06 PM
The Queen of England was ready to revoke his knighthood over killing Holmes. :smallamused: Of course he spared him.

Yerocha
2008-09-18, 07:08 PM
I think this topic just gave me a funny aneurism.

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-18, 07:35 PM
I think this topic just gave me a funny aneurism.

Don't they all:smalltongue:

The Tygre
2008-09-18, 09:53 PM
No, some of them just give me flat-out strokes.

Kobold-Bard
2008-09-19, 03:25 AM
Will Therkla replace Belkar?

You know I don't think she will. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0593.html)

Natural20
2008-09-19, 03:29 AM

I'm detecting an unprecedented amount of snarkiness in that post.:smalltongue:

cheesecake
2008-09-19, 07:41 AM
after Todays Comic. Answer Is No

Zolem
2008-09-19, 07:56 AM

Hey, aren't you the guy who celebratedafter 4 full pages of mourning?

LuisDantas
2008-09-19, 08:01 AM
Why do people think Belkar is so needed?

Of the six PCs, Belkar is probably the most funny early on when the strip was one-gag-a-day. And for that very same reason, he doesn't quite fit anymore.

Zolem
2008-09-19, 08:39 AM
Why do people think Belkar is so needed?

Of the six PCs, Belkar is probably the most funny early on when the strip was one-gag-a-day. And for that very same reason, he doesn't quite fit anymore.

To put it another way, that piano kid was funny in the Peanuts comic strips, but boring as heck in the TV shows, while Pigpen didn't realy work in the comics since his gag was always the same, but he did great animated because you could throw his gag in with others. Some charecters just naturaly work better with either short gags or storyline gags. Belcar is the piano kid of the Oots. He's great for gag strips, but sucks with dramatic ones.

Shatteredtower
2008-09-19, 09:30 AM
Why do people think Belkar is so needed?Well, for one thing, his death in Haley's arms could be nicely contrasted to the scene we just had with Therkla... :smallwink:

I still like having him around, both for the contrast and the lines. Oh, and for those times he gets his comeuppance -- it tends to be more amusing when he gets it than anyone else.