PDA

View Full Version : 4th edition Forgotten Realms: worth buying?

Enlong
2008-09-13, 09:27 PM
So I was skimming the Wizards site to see what their recent releases have been, and I noticed that the Forgotten Realms book is out.
Now, as a guy who has all three core books, I ask you: is it worth it to get the book? Those of you who have it already; is the stuff in it good? Will I want the Swordmage class and the new feats?
And those of you who bought books in 3.5, is it worth it in general to buy campaign world books?

Hal
2008-09-13, 09:31 PM
My DM has it, it's how he's building our campaign world. I haven't looked at it, so I don't have much to add here. Personally, I prefer to design my own settings. It means that I don't have to memorize someone else's details, and my players only have to know as much as I've told them (or as much as I can prepare for them to know).

Zocelot
2008-09-13, 09:35 PM
I've got a player in my group who is considering buying it, despite the fact that we don't, and will never play in FR. If anyone could tell me how much is fluff, and how much is crunch, I'd appreciate it.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-13, 10:05 PM
And those of you who bought books in 3.5, is it worth it in general to buy campaign world books?

It is if you can't be assed to come up with your own campaign worlds, or aren't any good at it. Me, I'll gladly buy hours and hours of other people's work to save my own time.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2008-09-13, 10:49 PM
It's already out in stores? jeez. Where have I been?

Holocron Coder
2008-09-13, 11:25 PM
Glancing through it, and from what others have said, it's almost 95% fluff. The entirety of the crunch is a few rituals and a handful of setting-specific monsters.

That said, I don't know much more about the setting guide. The player's guide (not yet out) has the Swordmage in it.

skywalker
2008-09-13, 11:29 PM
Glancing through it, and from what others have said, it's almost 95% fluff. The entirety of the crunch is a few rituals and a handful of setting-specific monsters.

That said, I don't know much more about the setting guide. The player's guide (not yet out) has the Swordmage in it.

+1

The Campaign Setting is way, way too much fluff for $40. I say not worth it. You can write better stories on your own in 15 minutes.

I hope the Player's Guide has more crunch. I think it might be worth buying that book just for swordsage :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2008-09-13, 11:41 PM
I hope the Player's Guide has more crunch. I think it might be worth buying that book just for swordsage :smallbiggrin:

Swordmage, Dark Pact and Genasi for me.

Enlong
2008-09-13, 11:43 PM
oh... erm, I was actually asking about the FG Player's Guide...

KillianHawkeye
2008-09-15, 10:19 AM
It comes out on the 16th.

Tormsskull
2008-09-15, 10:43 AM
The Campaign Setting is way, way too much fluff for $40. I say not worth it. You can write better stories on your own in 15 minutes.

TBT, you can probably write better mechanics in 15 minutes too.

snoopy13a
2008-09-15, 11:38 AM
+1

Playing devil's advocate here but isn't the fluff designed to help DMs write their own stories and plan adventures by giving them background material?