PDA

View Full Version : Maid RPG

Talkkno
2008-09-13, 09:32 PM
I played demo of this game at Kublacon and while very silly, it was really fun, i just got my book, and I personally really enjoy it for its silliness. Here's the website.
http://www.maidrpg.com/

Dode
2008-09-13, 09:33 PM
Q1: do you play this game with other men?

Q2: do you play this game mostly in the bedroom?

Talkkno
2008-09-13, 11:07 PM

Q1: Yes, throw away the shame and get into the anime comdey mindset!
Q2: No

DarknessLord
2008-09-13, 11:19 PM
XD, I only read a little bit on the page, but I'm reminded of Hayate No Gotoku (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HayateTheCombatButler?from=Main.HayateNoGotoku) which in my mind is a good thing.

I know there are other series that fallow the premise, but that's the one I know best. ^.^

Talkkno
2008-09-14, 12:17 AM
XD, I only read a little bit on the page, but I'm reminded of Hayate No Gotoku (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HayateTheCombatButler?from=Main.HayateNoGotoku) which in my mind is a good thing.

I know there are other series that fallow the premise, but that's the one I know best. ^.^

The book actually cites that a source that a source of inspiration for this game. (You can also play as butlers)

Killersquid
2008-09-14, 12:32 AM
The book actually cites that a source that a source of inspiration for this game. (You can also play as butlers)

Expect many players to play butlers and kill their masters.

DarknessLord
2008-09-14, 12:35 AM
I noticed, heck, after reading the butler character sheet I would have bet money on it being inspired by that.
This is a "flipping awesome" on my epic scale.

But it's definitely very niche...

Talkkno
2008-09-14, 01:15 AM
But it's definitely very niche...

Exactly(Translated from the Japanese version but got cut out the English version due to time constraints.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b57/talkkno/Other/maid_back_cover.jpg

Starsinger
2008-09-14, 02:37 AM
This looks awesome, unfortunately I don't think anyone 'round here would play this with me.

Bandy4L1FE
2008-09-14, 02:59 AM
Expect many players to play butlers and kill their masters.
:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfu rious::smallfurious:
how messed up are you if you are the type to play as the butler. i think this is licentious and degrading. Only a pervert would want to play a board game that resembles a hentai. :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfu rious::smallfurious:

Talkkno
2008-09-14, 03:23 AM
This looks awesome, unfortunately I don't think anyone 'round here would play this with me.

I know a lot of people recoil at the idea of a Maid RPG, but I’ve yet to hear of anyone really giving it a chance and not enjoying it.

Killersquid
2008-09-14, 03:26 AM
how messed up are you if you are the type to play as the butler. i think this is licentious and degrading. Only a pervert would want to play a board game that resembles a hentai. :smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfu rious::smallfurious:

...Why do I have this very odd feeling I know who this person is :smallconfused:

Hawriel
2008-09-14, 03:34 AM
I played demo of this game at Kublacon and while very silly, it was really fun, i just got my book, and I personally really enjoy it for its silliness. Here's the website.
http://www.maidrpg.com/

Or you could just help your mom and clean the house like a productive member of your family.

Talkkno
2008-09-14, 03:37 AM

Well there is a small side note in the book, regarding sex and seduction, if you are into that sort of stuff. As i quote from the book below in the section about "favor" which is sort of like the game's experience points. But at heart the game remains a light comedy anime-themed RPG.

"E. 2D6-4D6 Let’s Get Physical with the Master† (First time
only) (Let’s Not Go There)
F. 1D6 Doing the thing from E, but subsequent times† (Seriously,
Let’s Just Avoid That Place Altogether, Hmmm-
Hmmm-Hmmmm-Hmmmmmm I Can’t Hear You) (New
Experience)"

"† Items E and F are for mature groups only. Or alternately, for
perhaps very, very immature groups, depending on your bend. This
could immediately change your game’s feel from a lighthearted
“Harem Anime” to a creepy “Bible Black††” in no time!
†† Or Urotsukidouji, if the requisite number of tentacles are involved†††.
††† At least three."

Bandy4L1FE
2008-09-14, 03:43 AM
...Why do I have this very odd feeling I know who this person is :smallconfused:

Edit: Dammit guys, now you're trolling me from college.

You know who i am? do you go mandeville high? well if you do then, im a senior in the marching band.

Dode
2008-09-14, 04:07 AM
Q1: Yes, throw away the shame and get into the anime comdey mindset!
I don't think a wartroll hulking hurler can throw away that level of shame I'd feel :smallfrown:

Guancyto
2008-09-14, 04:18 AM

That's the best kind of role-playing, you know. :smallwink:

Tengu_temp
2008-09-14, 05:42 AM
Let's channel the spirit of a memorable former forumer to comment!

Silleh.

Artemician
2008-09-14, 05:50 AM
Let's channel the spirit of a memorable former forumer to comment!

Silleh.

Yes, but it is still awesome. Reminds me of Kobolds Ate my Baby, and not in a bad way.

Attilargh
2008-09-14, 06:34 AM
Oh damn you. Now I want to play this too.

By the way, I was taking a peek at the links provided at the game's home page, and noticed the translator's blog (http://yarukizero.wordpress.com/). Turned out he (http://yarukizero.wordpress.com/about-me/)'s done some game design (http://yarukizero.wordpress.com/my-games/) of his own as well. Hikikomori and Raspberry Heaven look interesting.

kamikasei
2008-09-14, 07:17 AM
This sounds hilariously awesome; I'm quite tempted to get the PDF.

how messed up are you if you are the type to play as the butler.

Hmmm? What's messed up about playing as the butler?

i think this is licentious and degrading. Only a pervert would want to play a board game that resembles a hentai.

Or perhaps someone who sees the humour in a game that mines the silliness and absurdity of the genre for lulz.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-14, 07:21 AM
Ah, harem anime. At least it's not as creepy as realdolls.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-14, 09:11 AM
Yes, but it is still awesome. Reminds me of Kobolds Ate my Baby, and not in a bad way.

Ah, you see, "silleh" is a word with very positive connotactions - it means that something is silly, but in a very amusing way.

realdolls

What's that?

Ralfarius
2008-09-14, 09:36 AM
What's that?
Dolls that are very real. Like, unnervingly at times. And anatomically correct.

Artemician
2008-09-14, 09:39 AM
And anatomically correct.

*wink wink nudge*

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-09-14, 11:10 AM
You know who i am? do you go mandeville high? well if you do then, im a senior in the marching band.

I know who you are, your the local internet troll.

Do I win anything?

Artemician
2008-09-14, 11:41 AM
I know who you are, your the local internet troll.

Do I win anything?

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/captain.obvious.jpg

Thank you, Captain Obvious. You may collect your cookies at the cookie counter, from which you collect cookies.*

*Being sarcastic here, but not really directed at you, more at the other guy for being so obviously a troll here. Sorry if you take offence.

Talkkno
2008-09-14, 04:45 PM
Hmmm? What's messed up about playing as the butler?

I think he's referring to the whole killing your master bit.

WhiteHarness
2008-09-15, 06:19 AM
I just don't see how a game like this could be entertaining at all. You'd have to be into some seriously weird anime to even comprehend it. Why would anyone want to play that?

kamikasei
2008-09-15, 06:33 AM
I just don't see how a game like this could be entertaining at all.

You don't see anything potentially entertaining in:

You are also a shy albino princess who does odd jobs for the yakuza, and train with the three-section staff. Your peer Maya is an outgoing young maid with freckles, a streak of being greedy for sweets, and who also happens to be a military cyborg.
Somewhere between doing the laundry and preparing lunch, the master is kidnapped by evil ninjas. They escape through the basement of the mansion, which contains a portal to the Netherworld. It's up to you to get him back before dinnertime.
?

You'd have to be into some seriously weird anime to even comprehend it. Why would anyone want to play that?

Because they're into some seriously weird anime? Or because they enjoy absurdist humour?

celestialkin
2008-09-15, 07:13 AM

Yeah, I would LOVE to play this myself, but only if there were any females in my group. :smallfrown:

That reaches a whole new level of sad geekdom.

Talkkno
2008-09-15, 11:23 PM
Well...does any want to start a play by post game?

celestialkin
2008-09-15, 11:32 PM
I couldn't help it.

I asked the owner of a local chain of gaming stores to please try to get me a copy of this. I don't have a clue what I am going to do with it, though.

Ascension
2008-09-15, 11:34 PM
Well...does any want to start a play by post game?

It seems there's interest. We got to talking about it in the Cthulutech OOC thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78715&page=15), and I think at least a few of us would be on board. Best to start a thread in Finding Players if you want to start any serious discussion about the subject, though.

Frosty
2008-09-15, 11:56 PM
You don't see anything potentially entertaining in:

?

Because they're into some seriously weird anime? Or because they enjoy absurdist humour?

Face it. Konata would be ALL OVER this game. :smallbiggrin:

Killersquid
2008-09-16, 12:25 AM
I just don't see how a game like this could be entertaining at all. You'd have to be into some seriously weird anime to even comprehend it. Why would anyone want to play that?

The game is a parody of anime tropes. If you don't watch anime, you won't get the whole game as entertaining (which is why I don't/won't play it).

Waspinator
2008-09-16, 12:28 AM
Unless you're an anime fan, I wouldn't plan it. Kind of like how you wouldn't play Pokethulhu probably unless you were a fan of Cthulhu and/or Pokemon.

kamikasei
2008-09-16, 01:12 AM

Game within a game! Play a session of this where each of the characters is what the cast from Lucky Star would come up with if forced to play by Konata! Actually playing the cast playing the game as a two-layer character set is optional.

Frosty
2008-09-16, 01:22 AM
Kagami would hate this game :smallamused:

Xuincherguixe
2008-09-16, 01:31 AM
I know there's potential for awesomeness here, but I'm not quite sure how it would go. I suppose every session they could get a new master, and a new butler who instantly kills them right at the start, and after awhile the players all decide to just ignore it.

... That's probably a good place to start, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.

Fri
2008-09-16, 01:40 AM
We would play the romance-maid variant right? Right guys?

Talkkno
2008-09-16, 02:52 AM
I made a thread on the finding players forum for a game.

Jerthanis
2008-09-16, 04:48 AM
I just made my first character in this system for a game with some RL friends of mine. She's a robot maid whose programming went haywire and now she creepily stalks her master day and night. Originally programmed for combat duty she insisted on becoming her master's maid because she so admired the existing maids.

It's a system where random character generation is fine because there's really very few combinations that you won't find interesting in some way, unless they're just wildly contradictory in a way you don't like, like a Devil Summoning Robot, or a Lolita Womanizer, or a Government Agent who became a maid to become an ideal wife.

Basically, GMs should allow several rerolls if you're doing random generation, but should encourage people to accept the roll they get, because it can be an entertaining combination they didn't expect.

The Rose Dragon
2008-09-16, 04:59 AM
It's a system where random character generation is fine because there's really very few combinations that you won't find interesting in some way, unless they're just wildly contradictory in a way you don't like, like a Devil Summoning Robot, or a Lolita Womanizer, or a Government Agent who became a maid to become an ideal wife..

Wait... what's wrong with a devil summoning robot? It is the very definition of cool. Devils and robots!

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-16, 05:01 AM
:eek:
I have now officially seen everything.

kamikasei
2008-09-16, 05:17 AM
I have now officially seen everything.

Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?

I'd be tempted to get in on the PbP here, but I suspect the silliness works better face-to-face.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-16, 05:18 AM
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?Um, well I did see a man eat a slice of cake from one of those photograph cakes that had his picture on it so in a roundabout way, yes, yes I have.

kamikasei
2008-09-16, 05:51 AM
...Curses.

JeminiZero
2008-09-16, 07:20 AM

Kagami would hate this game :smallamused:

Ah, but the real question is: WWHD?

Tengu_temp
2008-09-16, 09:04 AM
Ah, but the real question is: WWHD?

Force the whole brigade to play this game, of course. She'd make a horrible GM (no planning, easily distracted, easily annoyed) and it would fall on the others to make the game enjoyable. Because if it wouldn't...

kamikasei
2008-09-16, 09:17 AM
Force the whole brigade to play this game, of course. She'd make a horrible GM (no planning, easily distracted, easily annoyed) and it would fall on the others to make the game enjoyable. Because if it wouldn't...

The real real question is, would Kyon and/or Itsuki be playing butlers or maids? I could see both in either role... Mikuru and Yuki of course make perfect maids already.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-16, 09:23 AM
Maids, because that'd be more annoying for Kyon and more amusing for the audience.

Alternatively, Itsuki would play the sole butler.

kamikasei
2008-09-16, 09:28 AM
I approve. More Kyonko goodness that way.

...So, uh, yeah, looks like a fun game. *topic*

Shadowtraveler
2008-09-16, 10:53 AM
But just how balanced are the character options? :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Signmaker
2008-09-16, 10:07 PM
But just how balanced are the character options? :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Balance? Shwaaaa? :smallconfused:

Mechas, ninjas, and the netherworld. I think not having balance wouldn't be a bad thing in this kind of game.

And I am sorely reminded of Hayate. Although, Maria is made of much more win.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-09-16, 10:53 PM
Devil Summoning RobotSomeone hasn't played very many Shin Megami Tensei games.

Anyway, I should probably skulk off to the Finding Players forum, because this sounds way too amusing to pass up.

The real real question is, would Kyon and/or Itsuki be playing butlers or maids? I could see both in either role... Mikuru and Yuki of course make perfect maids already.Is it just me, or would Mikuru freaking rock at this game?

Talkkno
2008-09-17, 01:48 AM

That's what player's spending favor to invoke random events are for!

Jerthanis
2008-09-17, 04:53 AM
Wait... what's wrong with a devil summoning robot? It is the very definition of cool. Devils and robots!

Err, maybe it's not the best example... I was trying to say that not every combination is cool, but the overwhelming majority ARE, so it's worth taking whatever you roll, but also nice to have a little bit of leniency when it comes to certain things.

As for balance: It's got randomly generated stats, but if you roll poorly enough you get two Maid Powers instead of one. However, since stats are multipliers (as I understand it), high stats are probably much better. I haven't seen the game in play yet, but it seems like a lot of the powers are kind of overly specific. A World For Two makes a scene between two characters uninterruptable except by certain other Maid Powers. It's okay as a neat sideline utility, but a character with that power has either one other signature ability or no other powers at all... unless I missed a rule on character advancement or something.

Because of the limited number of powers per character, it seems like having the powers which apply to many situations are going to be far and away the best ones. Of course, if you're randomly generating, you don't really GET to powergame, since your Cool Lolita could have Chance Meeting, a costly power with applicability only to a few situations, with only vague benefit... or Teleportation, whose uses are myriad, and which doesn't have an inherent cost.

Ascension
2008-09-17, 08:13 AM
Again, game balance is really not the point. No one can die anyway,* so it doesn't really matter if someone's got a statistical advantage over you. The point is creating crazy-funny situations through whatever means possible.

*Unless they're wearing certain costumes, but that's optional.