PDA

View Full Version : Conan vs. Link

Callos_DeTerran
2008-09-13, 11:16 PM
I know, I know...it seems like Link is getting tossed into more and more vs threads these days but I figured that this might make a good match up. Listen carefully to the set up.

Location: The mountains around Mordor (since neither parties know the terrain and theres plenty of nasties about to complicate things). The area in question is five miles in every direction which give both combatants plenty of room to work with and it's good mountainous terrain at that. Every hour twenty Lord of the Rings goblins are released into the area, hostile to both forces.

The combatants:

Conan the Cimmerian, before he becomes the king of Aquilonia and was still the roaming bandit who wooed women and threw down with any man, beast, demon, or wizard who dared to cross him. With him he has an Aquilonian broadsword (A larger then normal broadsword), a fine mail corslet (he usually has it from one particular country for it's superior quality but I can't remember the name), and a steel horned helmet. In addition to that he carries a regular dagger and a bow with sixty arrows in it.

vs.

Link the Hero of Time as represented in the Twilight Princess game. Stoically quiet hero who has time and time again proven himself against the forces of darkness/Ganon with the aid of the trusty Triforce of Courage and Master Sword. His equipment is as follows...Master Sword (Conan is selfish, not evil, so it'd simply be an exceptionally fine sword for him), Hyrulian Shield, bow with fifty arrows, two bottles of milk, and Epona. For the sake of argument he has gotten all of the Golden Wolves (and thus sword fighting techniques).

Obviously the conditions for winning include Conan killing Link and Link killing Conan. They also include if one or the other is driven out of the combat zone or if one can convert/kill five hundred goblins.

This is done with realistic fighting. Beheading is a beheading, no matter how many hearts Link may have. Granted, game mechanics MAY be used as part of an argument for why something would work.

Have at it and play fair.

chiasaur11
2008-09-13, 11:18 PM
I'm saying...
Conan. One of the five baddest men in comics.

And he inspired Cohen the barbarian.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-13, 11:32 PM
Conan.
Little Elf guy, with sharp sword,
Young Arnold Schwarzenegger, with BIG sharp sword.
Link would be Terminated.

nooblade
2008-09-13, 11:40 PM
Link is scrawny, true.

I don't know much about Conan, but unless this is really rocky ground with numerous spots for cover, the ranged weapons are going to play a huge role and it might be decided by who spots the other first (BOOM HEADSHOT).

Callos_DeTerran
2008-09-13, 11:43 PM
Conan.
Little Elf guy, with sharp sword,
Young Arnold Schwarzenegger, with BIG sharp sword.
Link would be Terminated.

This...this isn't movie Conan...Movie Conan doesn't represent the mighty barbarian properly. And...er...I assumed the mountains of Mordor were hilly and rocky which is why I picked that. The ranged weapons can come into play but so would melee combat as well...especially since Conan is remarkably sneaky for a man his size and build.

Ravens_cry
2008-09-13, 11:46 PM
Link is scrawny, true.

I don't know much about Conan, but unless this is really rocky ground with numerous spots for cover, the ranged weapons are going to play a huge role and it might be decided by who spots the other first (BOOM HEADSHOT).
Actually, really rocky ground could really provide Link with an advantage, especially with ranged weapons. Link is small, and he could hide behind the rocks and and take pot shots, scampering to a new location after each shot, sniper style.
But woe betide Link if Conan catches him. . .
*Twist* SNAP!
Edit: Movie Conan is all the Conan I know. That and Grue.
"Time for Grue to do what Grue does best!"

alexeduardo
2008-09-14, 12:57 AM
Book Conan is way more epic, and surprisingly ninja-like in some stories.

I say it would come down to who can sneak behind whom first. Seriously, there's nothing else to it.

Fan
2008-09-14, 01:44 AM
Link doesn't sneak EVER in Twlight princess, and what "could" be called sneakign amounted to running in between searchlights when they happened to be poitned elsewhere.

Conan on the other hand sneaks past armies of gaurds takes on Links BOSS MONSTERS bare handed, or with a simple non magical dagger. Barely a contest.

alexeduardo
2008-09-14, 01:48 AM
seriously? in the other Zelda games he does sneak around a bit.
wierd, guess I'll have to play it to make an educated hypotesis.

But, since I haven't got a Wii nearby, let's just assume that the conditions are so that he can change into a wolf at will. How powerfull is the wolf in the game? Is it enought to take down the last Crimmerian?
just out of curiosity

Fan
2008-09-14, 01:51 AM
seriously? in the other Zelda games he does sneak around a bit.
wierd, guess I'll have to play it to make an educated hypotesis.

But, since I haven't got a Wii nearby, let's just assume that the conditions are so that he can change into a wolf at will. How powerfull is the wolf in the game? Is it enought to take down the last Crimmerian?
just out of curiosity

The wolf is a normal wolf against evrything, but spirits, and thats IF he has Midna.
Also Conan wrestles giant LIONS Bare handed how is wolf even going to bother him?

alexeduardo
2008-09-14, 01:55 AM
Yeah, kind of a stupid topic to start a thread on if ye ask me.
but what about those goblins mentioned on the original post? a little kid can certainly outrun and, with proper training, out last a big hulking son of Mordor, methinks.

Dervag
2008-09-14, 02:06 AM
Yeah.

In rough terrain, Conan is likely to win a deathmatch against Link. Conan's skill at climbing and stealth are excellent, to the point where he made a good living as a cat burglar for several years. Conan is also a fairly good archer, although he can still stand to pick up some tips from his world's Counterpart Culture of the Mongol horse archers.

Of course, it's hard to measure Link's swordsmanship against Conan's. Conan almost always fights mortal men, or beings with manlike physiology that lets us get a feel for how tough they are. Link is often fighting monsters that aren't even humanoid.

But unless we assume that the average power level of Link's world is vastly greater than Conan's, Conan will probably win the fight.

Fan
2008-09-14, 02:12 AM
Yeah.

In rough terrain, Conan is likely to win a deathmatch against Link. Conan's skill at climbing and stealth are excellent, to the point where he made a good living as a cat burglar for several years. Conan is also a fairly good archer, although he can still stand to pick up some tips from his world's Counterpart Culture of the Mongol horse archers.

Of course, it's hard to measure Link's swordsmanship against Conan's. Conan almost always fights mortal men, or beings with manlike physiology that lets us get a feel for how tough they are. Link is often fighting monsters that aren't even humanoid.

But unless we assume that the average power level of Link's world is vastly greater than Conan's, Conan will probably win the fight.

He beat a Trio of demons with a slightly magical DAGGER. That, and he fights these humaniod creatures with his BARE HANDS like ot the death.