PDA

View Full Version : Changing your RL Name

CrazedGoblin
2008-09-14, 02:28 PM
Has anyone ever done this, through deed poll or what ever, ive been thinking of changing the spelling of my name, wondering if anyones ever done anything similar.

Leigh
2008-09-14, 02:30 PM
Interesting.
I always found that after eighteen years, changing the name that everyone knows you by wouldn't be the smartest thing... But if it's only the spelling, that would make a lot more sense. Hm.

Headless_Ninja
2008-09-14, 02:33 PM
Yeah, a friend of mine changed her name from 'Hazel' to 'Hayzl'; spelling's probably OK, but it'd be hard for people to get used to calling you that, particularly if you had qualifications in your original name. Someone once told me that in the UK, all it took for you to legally change your name was for you to start using your new name, though I took that with a pinch of salt.

Volug
2008-09-14, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't ever change my real name... It makes me sick just thinking about it.

I strongly dis-courage it, for my own reasons:smallfrown:

Cristo Meyers
2008-09-14, 02:36 PM
Changing the spelling of your name is pretty simple, I had it done a few years back. The Department of Records (or your state's/country's equivalent) should be able to help you out.

Pretty sure it's just write a check, fill out a form, and show the proper ID's.

CrazedGoblin
2008-09-14, 02:37 PM
Yeah, a friend of mine changed her name from 'Hazel' to 'Hayzl'

ye thats what i was going to do from James to Jaymz

Oregano
2008-09-14, 02:38 PM
My friend changes her surname to dissassociate herself with her dad, but that's about it.

Totally Guy
2008-09-14, 02:41 PM
I have a friend that changed her name to a man's name. And it's very difficult to remember to call her by it. Lots of practice. Especially when we're doing board games.

I think it's been done officially or at least the process has started.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-14, 02:45 PM
Where do you live? That might help. I mean in the UK you can put whatever you like down as your name perfectly legaly without any forms filled out so long as it is not for a fraudulent purpose.

CrazedGoblin
2008-09-14, 02:45 PM
ye the UK, migth start doing that saves going through all legal stuff

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-14, 02:49 PM
In that case, you might want to check, I mean I think I am right but extra research is never a bad thing.

CrazedGoblin
2008-09-14, 02:50 PM
ye im having a look on the deed poll website now

Telonius
2008-09-15, 08:53 AM
I haven't, but my wife has. They make it fairly easy to do as you're getting married.

AmberVael
2008-09-15, 09:31 AM
Where do you live? That might help. I mean in the UK you can put whatever you like down as your name perfectly legaly without any forms filled out so long as it is not for a fraudulent purpose.

From what I know, this is the policy in the United States, too. Your name isn't truly, officially changed, but as long as you use that name with the intent of referring to yourself, it seems they're fine with it.

I haven't, but my wife has. They make it fairly easy to do as you're getting married.

There is this as well. Changing your name for marriage is quite simplified.

Tormsskull
2008-09-15, 09:35 AM
From what I know, this is the policy in the United States, too. Your name isn't truly, officially changed, but as long as you use that name with the intent of referring to yourself, it seems they're fine with it.

I was told/discovered this too when I was looking into writing/receiving checks via a pen name.

Zeful
2008-09-15, 10:28 AM
There is this as well. Changing your name for marriage is quite simplified.

You can many psudonyms which reference yourself, but to change the name by which the Gov't refers to you as is quite another matter and depends on each state. I knew a guy whose legal name is Babyboy because his mother couldn't think of a name so the doctor just wrote that down on the birth certificate. It's $500 in MN to change your name and can take more than a year to be approved.

mercurymaline
2008-09-15, 10:36 AM
In KS, it's about $200, and can take as little as a week. In cases where the judge deems the name "embarrasing" or otherwise something a child shouldn't be saddled with, they'll waive the age 18 requirement.

Arioch
2008-09-15, 10:50 AM
In KS, it's about $200, and can take as little as a week. In cases where the judge deems the name "embarrasing" or otherwise something a child shouldn't be saddled with, they'll waive the age 18 requirement.

There's a kid that's just joined the school whose first name is Oberon. Oberon. Y'know, the king of the fairies. There's another in Yr 9 whose surname is seaman. He's in the CCF, so he's Cadet Seaman. I feel sorry for them. :smallfrown:

AmberVael
2008-09-15, 11:31 AM
You can many psudonyms which reference yourself, but to change the name by which the Gov't refers to you as is quite another matter and depends on each state. I knew a guy whose legal name is Babyboy because his mother couldn't think of a name so the doctor just wrote that down on the birth certificate. It's $500 in MN to change your name and can take more than a year to be approved.

Yes, like I said. Your name isn't really changed with that method, but you can legally refer to yourself however you want.

Ilena
2008-09-15, 11:52 AM
Myself i will change my name to Crixon if/when i become a centaur, ill never offically take that name otherwise,

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-15, 11:55 AM
As a side note, despite it drawing occasional irritating attention, especially when I was younger, I will remain till the day I die Matthew Edward Foweraker. And not a lot of people can say that about themselves, can they?:smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2008-09-15, 12:07 PM

I might start doing that. Call someone a funny name and keep doing it unless the person gives me money. Bwahaha. From now on you're Zuffle and you will be until you pay up.:smalltongue: