PDA

View Full Version : Wait, I think I know Elan and Nale's last name!

mikeejimbo
2008-09-14, 03:47 PM
Clearly, it is "Vital".

This is probably old, but I just remembered that phrase like a second ago.

Linkavitch
2008-09-14, 04:12 PM
Why, "Vital"?

mikeejimbo
2008-09-14, 04:16 PM
From the term "Élan vital", a discredited scientific theory, but still used in literature and the such for someone full of life. Elan alone also describes that, from the French, but I was just thinking today "Oh Elan, you're so full of élan vital... hey wait a minute!"

Edit: To be clear, it was more of a philosophic theory. On the other hand it was trying to explain why things live. (At least from my limited understanding of it.) So it seems pseudo-scientific to me.

Forias
2008-09-14, 04:37 PM
They live because of Elan?

Wow, I always knew Elan rocked, but this just tops them all.

*does Elan rocks cartwheels*

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-14, 05:01 PM
Seems kind of far fetched. I think The Giant just never bothered giving him a last name; V doesn't have one either

Kurald Galain
2008-09-14, 05:13 PM
Seems kind of far fetched. I think The Giant just never bothered giving him a last name; V doesn't have one either

Based on his recent behavior, not to mention suggesting to seal Nale's soul away, it's probably Evilwizardington...

mikeejimbo
2008-09-14, 09:34 PM

Well if I was going to be serious, I'd say that their last name is that of the warlord who kidnapped Haley's dad.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-14, 09:43 PM
Well if I was going to be serious, I'd say that their last name is that of the warlord who kidnapped Haley's dad.

.... that would be an interesting plot twist.

I like the way you think.

NerfTW
2008-09-14, 10:05 PM
.... that would be an interesting plot twist.

I like the way you think.

That idea has been around since:

Haley's letter was shown, and people remembered that Elan's father was shown having a banner with a T on it, and was on the western continent.

Elan's last name would likely be a spoiler. V just might not have a last name, or it too might be a spoiler. We know his/her mate is going to show up at some point, due to commentary in one of the compilations.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-14, 11:47 PM
That idea has been around since:

Haley's letter was shown, and people remembered that Elan's father was shown having a banner with a T on it, and was on the western continent.

Elan's last name would likely be a spoiler. V just might not have a last name, or it too might be a spoiler. We know his/her mate is going to show up at some point, due to commentary in one of the compilations.

See, now, this I did not know. Mostly because I had only heard of something called "D&D" back when that comic was the new one. Never as of that far had I played or witnessed the game, nor did I know there was a webcomic about it.
So, you can't really blame me for that one, except maybe unless you expected me to go digging through forums and do some necromancy to put my thoughts on the situation (sorry if that came across mean, I'm just trying to justify that I never heard that before).

MReav
2008-09-15, 12:02 AM
I think Elan's last name is their mother's and Nale's last name is their father's.

bdh5533
2008-09-15, 12:30 AM
Clearly, it is "Vital".

This is probably old, but I just remembered that phrase like a second ago.

I like that :) elan vital i will have to remember that :)

but i'm going to disagree with you, The giant does quite well at not just telling the character's stories, but also giving us a feel for the "players" behind them. I think last names are reflected by this.

V's player has a flair for roleplaying, comes well prepared, and knows the game mechanics inside and out. he's also a know it all jerk. Durkon's player is the quiet Type, with strong roleplaying skills a good knowledge of the game but poor math skills. Elan's player is just there to play it seems, very new to roleplaying and dnd to general. etc etc.

In the "name" spot on the character sheet he probably just put elan.

Tempest Fennac
2008-09-15, 01:53 AM
I don't think V is really evil (I'd say that sealing Nale's soul would class as sensible rather thern evil, especially since they should have killed them after the first fight due to knowing that the town guards would be no match for Sabine). I assumed that Elan will turn out to have the same last name as the dictator of Tyrania due to them being related.

Zolem
2008-09-15, 09:52 AM
I like that :) elan vital i will have to remember that :)

but i'm going to disagree with you, The giant does quite well at not just telling the character's stories, but also giving us a feel for the "players" behind them. I think last names are reflected by this.

V's player has a flair for roleplaying, comes well prepared, and knows the game mechanics inside and out. he's also a know it all jerk. Durkon's player is the quiet Type, with strong roleplaying skills a good knowledge of the game but poor math skills. Elan's player is just there to play it seems, very new to roleplaying and dnd to general. etc etc.

In the "name" spot on the character sheet he probably just put elan.

Since when where the 'players'. You are a weird paranoid person beleiving that the world is controled by a secret shadow organization you can't see.

Xallace
2008-09-15, 08:17 PM
Giving characters only one name can also be a literary device used to imply that the character should deserve a large amount of respect, or that others characters in the story have that much respect for the character.

Example can be found in a fair amount of fiction when you think back on it; sometimes the reader never even finds out the person's other name (Phineas, from "A Separate Peace," for example).

It doesn't necessarily apply to this situation, but I thought I'd mention it.

mago
2008-09-16, 07:09 AM
Based on his recent behavior, not to mention suggesting to seal Nale's soul away, it's probably Evilwizardington...
or maybe "riddle"

only1doug
2008-09-16, 07:40 AM

Please, V clearly stated that he was "representing the halflings viewpoint" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html) for that suggestion.

Deathcon300
2008-09-18, 06:24 PM
HEY it's not vital GEEZ u people are :confused: seriously you guys are worse than the Orig. :elan:

Fri
2008-09-18, 06:28 PM
Please, V clearly stated that he was "representing the halflings viewpoint" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html) for that suggestion.

Neutralwizardington :D?

Uncle Festy
2008-09-18, 08:53 PM
From the term "Élan vital", a discredited scientific theory, but still used in literature and the such for someone full of life. Elan alone also describes that, from the French, but I was just thinking today "Oh Elan, you're so full of élan vital... hey wait a minute!"

That's pretty cool.

nosignal
2008-09-18, 09:37 PM
HEY it's not vital GEEZ u people are :confused: seriously you guys are worse than the Orig. :elan:

Que ?

Ron Miel
2008-09-18, 11:39 PM
I think Elan's last name is their mother's and Nale's last name is their father's.

So do I. And I think that the mother's last name is ...

Draketooth.

Zolem
2008-09-19, 08:11 AM

:elan: Kick kick kick Deathcon300's butt for spoiling our fun.

Neopolis
2008-09-19, 01:24 PM
Vaarsuvius' last name is O-Chul's Paladin mount.

ericgrau
2008-09-19, 02:43 PM

Also the same one who used to lead Xykon and Keith Baker