PDA

View Full Version : Experimental 3-axis alignment quiz.

Krenn
2008-09-14, 08:02 PM
I've written an alignment quiz at

http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/3axis-alignment-quiz-by-krenn .

The theory is that people may percieve the 2-axis alignment either as an idealist, a realist, or a cyncist. the realist is normally considered the 'correct' viewpoint, and that's how alignment infractions should be judged, but it helps to show how someone can THINK they're being LG, but is actually acting in a neutral or evil fashion.

The quiz is still pretty experimental, but it's working, and it should be fun. I apologize for some of the longwinded questions, but they seemed neccessary at the time.

Kellus
2008-09-14, 08:26 PM
You don't want to get into a 3-axis alignment system. Trust me. It gets fairly complicated. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55828)

As far as the quiz goes, it seems alright. Some of the questions are very long-winded indeed. And your possible answers seem somewhat circumscribed.

Krrth
2008-09-14, 08:29 PM
You scores are:

18% Good-Evil.

6% Law-Chaos.

0% Idealism-Cynicism

Starsinger
2008-09-14, 08:51 PM
10% Good-Evil
-6% Law-Chaos
0% Ideal-Cynic

Aneantir
2008-09-14, 08:53 PM
12% Good-Evil
6% Law-Chaos
0% Ideal-Cynic

DarknessLord
2008-09-14, 09:01 PM
-8% Good-Evil.

-10% Law-Chaos.

0% Idealism-Cynicism

This was taken in character for an Evil character, and I think she came across as a little too chaotic, but then again, her lawful tendencies mostly come across when she's the one in charge, and the test more dealt with not being in charge/how to get there, which is understandable, and I think I consider her more lawful then she really is, so there you go.
Being a realist seems good for her, she might be a little more cynical, but not enough to really change her third access overall.

All in all I'd say decent job.

Gralamin
2008-09-14, 09:03 PM
+4 Good/evil
+8 Law/Chaos
+0 Idealism/Cynicism

Right at Lawful Neutral, as usual.

Starsinger
2008-09-14, 09:06 PM
I can't help but notice that everyone's gotten 0 Ideal-Cynic...

DarknessLord
2008-09-14, 09:06 PM
Hmmm... Somehow I doubt we all were at 0% on the quiz *checks results again* well I'll be, the graph says I'm at -16...
A display error in the results section maybe?

arguskos
2008-09-14, 09:07 PM
+10 Good/Evil
+19 Law/Chaos
+0 Idealism/Cynicism

So, I am very LG. Not really what I expected, but ok then. >_>

-argus

SurlySeraph
2008-09-14, 09:10 PM
+16 Good/Evil
+6 Law/Chaos
+0 Idealism/Cynicism

I can't help but notice that everyone's gotten 0 Ideal-Cynic...

Um, yeah. Was there some kind of oversight or what? If the point of the quiz is to add a third axis, this is a problem.

Thane of Fife
2008-09-14, 09:13 PM
+16 Good-Evil
+6 Law-Chaos
+0 Ideal-Cynic

I would have considered myself Lawful, but okay.

Devin
2008-09-14, 09:22 PM
14% Good-Evil.

14% Law-Chaos.

0% Idealism-Cynicism

The thing on the other side said I got a 4 for I/C. Maybe it's just a problem with that one part of the results page?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-14, 09:23 PM
You don't want to get into a 3-axis alignment system. Trust me. It gets fairly complicated. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55828)

As far as the quiz goes, it seems alright. Some of the questions are very long-winded indeed. And your possible answers seem somewhat circumscribed.

This is extremely hilarious. I may need to keep it around in the event I decide to have a wacky campaign... god, a Paladin of Funk would be the best thing ever :smallbiggrin:

Re: Test
Long answers are looooooooooooooong. You gotta shorten them, or at least make them less redundant (i.e. less of the "all of the above plus" ones).

20% Good
6% Law
0% 2% Idealism (there's an error in the display for sure)

I appear to the be the Paladin in the room. Hooray? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Okay, not a very lawful Paladin, but very Good nonetheless. Um... well, I guess nobody really likes being NG :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2008-09-14, 09:25 PM
+16/0/0.

Apparently, I rate a fairly solid Neutral-good. Odd.

chiasaur11
2008-09-14, 09:32 PM
This is extremely hilarious. I may need to keep it around in the event I decide to have a wacky campaign... god, a Paladin of Funk would be the best thing ever :smallbiggrin:

Re: Test
Long answers are looooooooooooooong. You gotta shorten them, or at least make them less redundant (i.e. less of the "all of the above plus" ones).

20% Good
6% Law
0% 2% Idealism (there's an error in the display for sure)

I appear to the be the Paladin in the room. Hooray? :smallconfused:

EDIT: Okay, not a very lawful Paladin, but very Good nonetheless. Um... well, I guess nobody really likes being NG :smalltongue:

Yeah.

No-one likes LN paladins either though.

So, Lawful and good is popular.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-14, 09:35 PM
Yeah.

No-one likes LN paladins either though.

So, Lawful and good is popular.

Well, I hear Elysium is beautiful this time of year. :smallamused:

arguskos
2008-09-14, 09:37 PM
+10 Good/Evil
+19 Law/Chaos
+13 Idealism/Cynicism

Update from my previous post. So, not only am I very Good and CRAZY Lawful, but I'm a strong Idealist... man, I suck. :smalleek: I think I'm a better Paladin than you are Oracle :smalltongue:

-argus

NecroRebel
2008-09-14, 09:42 PM
4% Good-Evil.

2% Law-Chaos.

0% Idealism-Cynicism

This obviously isn't an alignment test. It's ludicrously biased towards LG-ness; you have about 5 possible answers that would be what I would call CG or LE in a 90-answer quiz (30 questions, 3 answers/question), and answers that are LN, NG, or NN are also relatively rare, with maybe 25 all told. Further, those answers that are not LG are presented in a manner intended to make them less attractive than the LG answers. For instance:

Society is built upon mutual trust. I must never make promises I cannot guarantee I can keep. I may only betray a promise if I am forced to do so by unavoidable events, and even then, I may only betray the promise if I honestly believe the person I gave it to would release me if they were aware of the circumstances. Even if a promise is rendered completely irrelevant and silly by changing circumstances, and the neither person is likely to care any longer, I still must keep that promise for as long as possible, as a demonstration that I hold ALL promises to be important, and expect others to do the same. If at all possible, I must honor my comrade’s promises as my own. If I DO break a promise, whether accidently or deliberatly, I must confess to the relevant parties, and offer recompense fair more valuable that the worth of the original promise

is an obviously-LG-type answer, while

Society is built upon mutual trust, but there are expiration dates and such. I must keep a promise as long as it retains it’s relevance. If a promise is still relevant, I can only break it if something mostly unavoidable and far more important comes up. If I break a promise, I should confess and make recompense equal to the original value of the promise, but only if the promise was still important and relevant at the time I broke it: otherwise, I'll just forget about it. Comrade's promises should be kept only if I respected the comrade in question, and/or consider the promise to be especially important

is probably intended to be CN but comes off as closer to what I would call NE.

In short, if you want this test to have any value whatsoever, you need to A) get more variety in the number and types of answers available, and B) make the answers you do have less specific. Simply put, you should be able to phrase your answers clearly in 15 words or less. A sentence, not a paragraph.

Prometheus
2008-09-14, 09:48 PM
I'm currently taking the quiz. The thing that gets me is that cynicism is mostly geared at people who are LG or trying to be. How does Cynical Lawful Evil differ from Regular Lawful Evil or Chaotic Evil?

Vexxation
2008-09-14, 09:51 PM
How does Cynical Lawful Evil differ from Regular Lawful Evil or Chaotic Evil?

Cynical Lawful Evil feels that because everyone's a jerk and the world is bad, they must stamp out whatever opposes their personal beliefs or their structure system.

Cynical Chaotic Evil is a way of justifying all the murders and mayhem done, because, hey, the rest of the world is full of jerks, why should he feel bad about killing them. If anything, he could use it to self-delude into his being a Chaotic Good crusader.

Krenn
2008-09-14, 10:08 PM
I'm still reading through everyone's replies, and editing the test to make certain it's working right.

As I said before, it is not intended to be a 'true' 3 axis alignment test: it's mostly trying to offer a correction factor for different people's view of lawfull good.

I'll see if I can cut down on the multi-paragraph answers.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-14, 10:33 PM
I'm still reading through everyone's replies, and editing the test to make certain it's working right.

As I said before, it is not intended to be a 'true' 3 axis alignment test: it's mostly trying to offer a correction factor for different people's view of lawfull good.

I'll see if I can cut down on the multi-paragraph answers.

Huh. If so, then you might want to rephrase the questions that ask for "your" answers if you're really looking for what a LG person would do.

Or what do the results really mean? :smallconfused:

EDIT: I continue to be so Good that my heart beams holy-shiny-light through my very skin :smalltongue:

drengnikrafe
2008-09-14, 11:39 PM
I followed the link, and it led me to a "this quiz has not yet been published" thing. It confused me...

Krenn
2008-09-15, 12:16 AM
4% Good-Evil.

is probably intended to be CN but comes off as closer to what I would call NE.

actually, each question only does one axis at a time. on that question the breakdown was lawfull-neutral-chaos. I've shortened the questions and answers, and labeled what each question is supposed to represent.

Krenn
2008-09-15, 12:17 AM
sorry, the quiz is paused while i edit it to correct for feedback so far.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-15, 12:20 AM
actually, each question only does one axis at a time. on that question the breakdown was lawfull-neutral-chaos. I've shortened the questions and answers, and labeled what each question is supposed to represent.

Well... you don't have to label what each question weighs upon, but you should say whether it is "from your perspective" or "from what you thing a LG perspective is."

DarknessLord
2008-09-15, 12:26 AM
Well... you don't have to label what each question weighs upon, but you should say whether it is "from your perspective" or "from what you thing a LG perspective is."
Agreed, in fact, I think it's kind of bad to label what axis each question represents, as it makes the process more meta then it should be.
"Oh wait I shouldn't pick that might be evil...."
Sometimes people do that anyway it's more likely when they know what they are being tested on.

Krenn
2008-09-15, 01:13 AM
I always intended for what axis each question was, and where on the axis each question fell, to be obvious. It never occured to me that people might get confused. So, when someone did, I added labels.

As for meta-gaming the system: Why bother? This is meant as a tool for defining what your character will or will not do, and what alignment that might be, not as guessing game for what the 'right' alignment would do.

Test is live again, version 1.1

A lot of questions were shortened. the idealist-realist-cynicist questions were given their own section and cover page.

I'll improve it some more tommorow, in the mean time, have fun everyone!

Fri
2008-09-15, 03:36 AM
Nonono, this is the third axis

linky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55828)

Sorry. Harsh, but that's life.

edit: damn you ninjas!

nagora
2008-09-15, 03:53 AM
"You are the senior military officer of your nation, and for whatever reason, you will soon be at war with your neighbor."

Lawful: Raise a large conventional army.
Neutral: Raise a medium-sized guerrilla army.
Chaos: Raise a small force of assassins.
Eh? What's being chaotic got to do with hiring evil people to do your work for you? Or neutral to do with guerrilla fighting?

Edit: the next three questions boil down to "How do you organise your lynchings/beatings?" I gave up at that point.

Someone's been watching too much Fox News.

Rasilak
2008-09-15, 05:15 AM
Hm, quite nice. I scored pretty much like I expected: NNN, but slightly good, chaotic and cynic (4/-2/-2 IIRC)
I'd suggest using shorter questions aimed at single situations, instead of asking for a whole behavorial code applicable to all situations. And, in some of the "all of the above, plus"-questions, I tend to disagree with things you'd let good or lawful do, but I'd still agree with some things on the evil/chaotic list. Maybe this type of question isn't suited for this test.

Cheesegear
2008-09-15, 06:12 AM
Neutral (2) Good (16) Realist (0)

That's what I expected really, my other expectation was Lawful Neutral.

I thought some of the Ideal/Real/Cynic questions (the first ten) were a bit fuzzy, and I found myself repeatedly wanting to choose two different answers.