PDA

View Full Version : games like erfworld

jesteriswise
2008-09-14, 10:12 PM
i'm very new to the turn-based strategy genre, so i was wondering if there are any PC games similar to erfworld?

Trazoi
2008-09-14, 10:47 PM
I think Erfworld a mix of a bunch of different turn based games with some novel stuff added in.

The only one I've played that's close is the Heroes of Might and Magic series. I've seen other titles mentioned in other posts, but I can't remember what they are, sorry.

JMobius
2008-09-14, 11:07 PM
My favorite is the Age of Wonders series.

Victor Thorian
2008-09-15, 01:59 PM
My favorite is the Age of Wonders series.

seconded. though the sequels are hard.

Krrth
2008-09-15, 02:29 PM
You could always try Battle for Wesnoth. It's a free turnbased strat game.

Triaxx
2008-09-15, 05:56 PM
I'll second Battle for Wesnoth. It's hard, but it's awesome and very similar. It wouldn't actually be hard to mod it to have erf units, at least I don't think so.

Geno9999
2008-09-15, 06:19 PM
I third Wesnorth. If you have a GBA or a Gamecube/Wii, you can try Fire Emblem series, which is Nintendo's take on the Fantasy SRPG.

Trazoi
2008-09-15, 07:47 PM
Yeah, Battle for Wesnoth and Fire Emblem are both great. I didn't think they were much like Erfworld, but they are really good turn based strategy games.

The other good series to pick up is the classic X-COM from the PC. It's not at all like Erfworld, but it was a brilliant fusion of turn based tactical battles with a real time overworld strategy map. I heard it's out on Steam now - I'm thinking of picking it up myself once I get my gaming PC up and running again.

Woot Spitum
2008-09-16, 12:19 AM
I agree that Age of Wonders is probably the closest, followed by Lords of Magic. The Heroes of Might and Magic series and The Disciples series are also both worth a look. The Ogre Battle series is also a good represention (excluding Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis, which, while still a very fun game, has more in common with games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea than with true turn-based strategy games), but is rather difficult to find.

The Fire Emblem and Shining Force series' are a lot of fun, but since all units in these games are unique they aren't probably that good at duplicating Erfworld's strategic style, although they are definately worth playing. Erfworld with only Lord or hero units and almost no resource management would be a good way to describe them.

The Advance Wars series is another group of turn-based strategy games worth a look, although they are not in a fantasy based setting.

Finally, if you want something quirky and different (like Erfworld) see if you can track down a copy of Majesty. While it isn't a true turn-based strategy game, Majesty definately has the humor down, and is a fun game in its own right.

jesteriswise
2008-09-16, 01:02 AM
sweet suggestions all! i got civilization IV which is fun...but, a bit strange to me. not for the turn based sense, more or less how combat works. and a few friends are pushing me to get heroes of might and magic V, if my poor geforce 5500 can handle. thinking we need an email campaign to get both erfworld and order of the stick some video games. those could be awesome

Woot Spitum
2008-09-16, 01:13 AM
If your computer can't handle Heroes of Might and Magic V, you can probably find Heroes of Might and Magic IV and Disciples II Gold Edition in the bargain bin somewhere. Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, and Galactic Civilizations all have current generation titles out now as well. There is a possibility that you might find Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic, but it may already be too old. Shining Force should be available on the Wii virtual console.

Sadly, Ogre Battle, Majesty, and Lords of Magic, (not to mention Heroes of Might and Magic II and III) are probably unavailable outside of E-Bay.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-09-16, 01:37 AM
Hmm.. I think it would be neat if some indy developper were to create an Erfworld game.. hehe..

LordVader
2008-09-16, 05:26 AM
Battle for Wesnoth is fun.

But I'd say HoMM is the best representation I have played. The strategic map plays almost exactly the same, you have stacks, levelling warlords, etc.

All of the HoMM games are great, except for supposedly 4 which I didn't get cause it's said to be bad. You can get 3 off Amazon (complete edition too) for like ten US dollars, or if you want to get the newest one you can get 5 at pretty much any gamestore. No bidding hassle, and it's cheap.

Four I have yet to see in any store, I don't think that sold well at all, it's probably been pulled. Better to stick with 5/3 anyways; from what I've seen of 4, it's a far inferior game even though "warlords" (heroes, your army commanders) do fight unlike in the rest of the series.

Triaxx
2008-09-16, 01:18 PM
Knight of Lodis was... wierd. The Squad based Turn system seriously confused me at first. After having been a fan of FFT, and thinking it'd be similar... That said it's still a great game.

And FFT was awesome. Fallout Tactics is quite enjoyable. It's an RPG/TBS hybrid that's definitely not one or the other, but it's a great balance of both. It's about as far from Erf as it's possible to get though.