PDA

View Full Version : Characters with an addiction

weenie
2008-09-15, 07:16 AM
Has anyone ever played a character with a drug or other addiction? If so, how did it work out for you? Was it a fun RP element or a needlessly complicated mechanic that brought additional conflict to the party?

I'm planning on playing a Rogue/Swashbuckler in an upcoming campaign and was thinking about giving him an opium addiction. Probably using an altered version of the drug use rules from BoVD, but I haven't decided yet on what effects the drug should have and if DEX damage is really the best way to go about for withdrawal symptoms. Any thoughts?

Starsinger
2008-09-15, 07:16 AM
:smallsigh: If you must have rules for it... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm#drugAddiction

Brauron
2008-09-15, 07:25 AM
As a GM, I don't allow player characters to have addictions. I find it causes too much trouble.

weenie
2008-09-15, 07:28 AM
:smallsigh: If you must have rules for it... http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm#drugAddiction

Not that I find the rules a necessity, but having some guidelines on the effects is never a bad option. And I was always a fan of the idea that fluff should have some impact on mechanics, a good example being diseases. Hiding in the sewers suddenly isn't such a good option anymore :smallsmile:

DigoDragon
2008-09-15, 07:54 AM
I haven't played such vices, but a few friends on occasion have done smoking addictions which added an interesting element. It tended to be useful in a few RP situations (and one combat situation).

Charity
2008-09-15, 08:17 AM
I thought it was an addiction to playing witty characters... imagine my disappointment.

http://www.maverick-arts.com/images/M-332-1.jpg

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didn’t work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness

I did once play a character addicted to amphetomenes... it was hard work keeping it up.

weenie
2008-09-15, 09:09 AM
As a GM, I don't allow player characters to have addictions. I find it causes too much trouble.

Trouble with authorities etc. or with game mechanics?

BizzaroStormy
2008-09-15, 09:11 AM
One of my old characters started the game with an addiction to a homebrew version of marijuana. After jumping off a boat, he realized that he had lost his stash and his bong. Due to the withdrawl effects, 6 days later he was at 1 CON and seeing all kinds of wierd crap.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-15, 09:13 AM
One of my old characters started the game with an addiction to a homebrew version of marijuana. After jumping off a boat, he realized that he had lost his stash and his bong. Due to the withdrawl effects, 6 days later he was at 1 CON and seeing all kinds of wierd crap.Must have been very homebrew, Marijuana has less addictive properties than chocolate and is considerably healthier.

Tormsskull
2008-09-15, 09:17 AM
I played a character with an addicition before too, but I didn't use any particular mechanics. He was a rogue and was addicited to 'Frosh root'. It was a naturally growing plant, that when sucked on calmed the imbider down a lot. It basically acted as a mellow-out kinda drug. When he hadn't had any in a few days he would get hyper and angry.

Fishy
2008-09-15, 09:40 AM
Must have been very homebrew, Marijuana has less addictive properties than chocolate and is considerably healthier.

This was obviously "After School Special: The RPG"

Brauron
2008-09-15, 09:52 AM
Trouble with authorities etc. or with game mechanics?

Trouble with authorities, but also I found it causing inter-party conflict.

black dragoon
2008-09-15, 09:59 AM
We have had mixed results. At times it can be fun rather entertaining However, I have seen it taken to far when a particulary over-zealous jerkass of a character OD on speed and proceeded to utterly screw us over in every way feasible all the while OCC trying to say that 20 grams standard US was not alot of speed. :smallconfused:

We were not very happy when I lost my brain to a psionic monster and ended up dying and being stuck with no way out of dodge.:smallmad: