PDA

View Full Version : Specific Spore question: Terraforming

Avilan the Grey
2008-09-15, 08:27 AM
Hello,

Please enlight a moron: How do I terraform? I got this job in my first civilization to go plant a colony on a "good" planet. "Suggested" (forced) planet of choice was a T1 planet, despite the fact that the other planet in that system was a "strong T2", with lakes and life and stuff. I planted it and later I got the job to terraform it. I did get it up high enough so that they let go of the forcefield around the colony, but I can't make it a fully terraformed planet; everytime I do something it takes too long time and the little red dot has fallen away into "too cold for life".

(I planted a few colonies by myself on T2 planets, and my civilization said I was oh so skilled in picking good sites. Then why the ¤&¤#& did I you want me to put that one on that lousy planet...!)

Moonshadow
2008-09-15, 08:41 AM
Buy multiple meteor storms and use them one after another >_>

warty goblin
2008-09-15, 08:58 AM
I've not actualy terraformed a planet yet, so I'm not sure about this, but according to the manual, don't you have to stabilize the planet by creating/improving it's ecosystem with a food web?

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-09-15, 01:58 PM
I'm not 100% sure here, but I think you more or less gotta get the plants down for the T-score to stick on the blue/red orbits. Green orbits will stay put if you finish terraforming them. So you may need to wait till you get stuff like the heat ray.

Driderman
2008-09-16, 01:28 AM
To establish a T-level you need to add:

1 small plant
1 medium plant
1 large plant

2 herbivores
1 carnivore/omnivore

I'm pretty sure you have to follow this list exactly.
The terraforming trick is to make sure you have one of each when you go terraforming. Once you've activated a T-level, you just dump the plants on the planet while it's in the "sweet spot" and it should stabilize.

Make sense?
It's a bit early for me...

Cheesegear
2008-09-16, 01:50 AM
I did get it up high enough so that they let go of the forcefield around the colony, but I can't make it a fully terraformed planet; everytime I do something it takes too long time and the little red dot has fallen away into "too cold for life".

(I planted a few colonies by myself on T2 planets, and my civilization said I was oh so skilled in picking good sites. Then why the ¤&¤#& did I you want me to put that one on that lousy planet...!)

Meteor Swarms, Ice Storms (I forget what they're called), Atmosphere and Drought Generators all push the 'dot' in a different direction. Yeah, it does take a long time, and (often) you need more than one. And yes, it does revert back to what it was unless you can make it stable (put in a decent food web).

Avilan the Grey
2008-09-16, 02:16 AM
Thank you for the advice. I guess I decided to do the job too early, It seems I would need to save up 500k - 1000k of Sporebucks before starting this.

Storm Bringer
2008-09-16, 04:40 AM
Thank you for the advice. I guess I decided to do the job too early, It seems I would need to save up 500k - 1000k of Sporebucks before starting this.

yup.

basically, everything at the space stage is bloody expensive. but if you can find the right spice addicts, you can make millions with a few good sales.if you already have several worlds at T1-T2, then i'd just expand those to the moment, find some buyers for the spice and come back the place you need to terraform later.

I'd recommend scouting around, as some of the more friendly empires will give serious discounts if they like you (often 30-50% of the price from home). and collect the plants and animals before you start the terrforming. as said, you'll need a small (grass-like) plant, a medium (bush sized thing) and a large (tree of some sort), plus two herbivores and a carnivore/omnivore. use terraforming devices to get the planet to the T-score you want (if it's too cold, then use the metor shower tool to heat it up a little), then plonk the plants down quickly, followed by the herbivores, then the carnivore last. that should stablise the ecosystem (barring the occisional annoying eco-collpase mission)

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-16, 07:32 AM
Oh, and one nifty thing. It can be hard to find enough creatures sometimes, so I found a cool trick to help with that. Basically it amounts to this: Once something has been added to the ecosystem, you can beam it right back up and it'll stay added. I've been using the same carnivore, not just the same species, to populate well over a dozen planets.

KBF
2008-09-16, 09:30 PM
Oh, and one nifty thing. It can be hard to find enough creatures sometimes, so I found a cool trick to help with that. Basically it amounts to this: Once something has been added to the ecosystem, you can beam it right back up and it'll stay added.

That would be because once you put one of anything down, you aren't.. Uh, just putting one down. It sticks several more over the planet when you put the one in.

Yes, you need to put in one of each size of plant in, then some food (herbivores) then some awesome things (predators). That's called "survival of the awesome".

pingcode20
2008-09-16, 09:35 PM
Just an FYI - the first colony isn't actually forced.

If you put down a colony anywhere, it clears the mission for you.

I actually dropped it on my planet's moon, and abused the fact that you needed to terraform the crappy planet to terraform the moon up to T3.

"You wasted it? Okay, we'll give you another one - but we're going to charge you $1000."