PDA

View Full Version : Feat for Beguiler

Human Paragon 3
2008-09-15, 09:11 AM
Hey guys. I have a gnome beguiler that just got level 6 and I am trying to pick a feat. The build is very straitforward. I have two spell focus feats for my first and 3rd level. Ultimately I'd like a feat to make me a better-rounded combattant since I have the usual beguiler problems with mindless foes.

If nothing else seems useful, I'll probably go with Sudden Empower or Sudden Maxamize which I can slap on an occasional Whelm or Touch of Idiocy (or mirror image if I'm desperate).

Thoughts?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-15, 09:15 AM
Illusions are perfect for mindless foes, I recommend going with Shadow Weave Magic if you are in Faerun.

KillianHawkeye
2008-09-15, 09:17 AM
Don't mindless creatures generally auto-fail against Illusion spells?

Human Paragon 3
2008-09-15, 09:29 AM
Don't mindless creatures generally auto-fail against Illusion spells?

Maybe, maybe not. Most of my illusion spells wouldn't do anything against a zombie or golem except hide me from them. I could use a silent image or major image to make a wall around them or something, but the DM could always say "they walk through it." My DM is prone to fiat like that. Also, against intelligent undead I have nothing I can do to them except glitter dust. I did get 3rd level spells which means Slow and Haste are in my arsenal now, but I'd like a little something more for emergencies (and in case combat goes more than 4 rounds).

Person_Man
2008-09-15, 09:35 AM
Shadow Weave Magic (Player's Guide to Faerun): +1 to DCs for Illusion and Enchantment.

Vow of Nonviolence (Book of Exalted Deeds): +4 to the Save DCs for non-damaging effects. This makes you hugely effective, but it also has very heavy roleplaying considerations for you and your group. I for one enjoy making orcs surrender and then having to deal with prisoners, but most other players don't.

Obtain Familiar (Complete Arcane): Familiars can hold the charge of any spell and can share spells. This gives you a big action advantage.

Item Familiar (Unearthed Arcana): VERY useful in a wide variety of ways.

Toliudar
2008-09-15, 09:40 AM
How's his Wisdom? Arcane disciple with the Sun Domain gets you Searing Light to use against undead, and a few other useful spells as well.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-15, 09:45 AM
A lot depends on your Advanced Learnings, too. What do you have and what are you planning on?

Also, The Beguiler Handbook.

Darrin
2008-09-15, 10:24 AM
Hey guys. I have a gnome beguiler that just got level 6 and I am trying to pick a feat. The build is very straitforward. I have two spell focus feats for my first and 3rd level. Ultimately I'd like a feat to make me a better-rounded combattant since I have the usual beguiler problems with mindless foes.

Arcane Disciple: Sun Domain will give you some anti-undead and direct damage spells.

You could also combine Arcane Disciple with a Reserve feat to gain something like Fiery Burst or Storm Bolt.

Dragontouched, Draconic Heritage, and one of the Lineage feats could also give you some energy damage options, although it would take awhile to get that working.

Hal
2008-09-15, 11:59 AM
There's always Arcane Strike, but you might want to consider that a last resort sort of thing. If a Beguiler is in direct combat with someone, something went wrong somewhere. Plus, you'll have a heck of a time getting that blow to land with your low BAB and likely stat-dump Str.

If you want more combat options, you could always just grab some wands to do damage. Your UMD score should be decent enough at this point that you can get some uses out of wands not on your spell list.

Human Paragon 3
2008-09-15, 12:21 PM
There's always Arcane Strike, but you might want to consider that a last resort sort of thing. If a Beguiler is in direct combat with someone, something went wrong somewhere. Plus, you'll have a heck of a time getting that blow to land with your low BAB and likely stat-dump Str.

If you want more combat options, you could always just grab some wands to do damage. Your UMD score should be decent enough at this point that you can get some uses out of wands not on your spell list.

Access to magic items is limited, unfortunately. The only magic items i've acquired are a necromantic device that raises my caster level by one and could get me thrown in jail for using, a huge axe (I'm a small race), and a cursed wand that does nothing except harm me. Blech.

Hal
2008-09-15, 02:33 PM
Well, like I said, direct combat is a last resort. It sounds like Arcane Disciple is going to be your best bet to getting combat effective spells, but not if you have a low Wis score.

If you decide to go Arcane Strike, you could use your Advanced Learning to get a spell called Spectral Weapon. It's in Spell Compendium. It lets you make touch attacks with your weapon (instead of normal attacks), but your opponent gets a will save to disbelieve. Like I said, last resort. Alternatively, you could get some sort of undead killing enchantment on that axe. Why you got the huge axe is beyond me, though.

Paul H
2008-09-15, 05:43 PM
Hi

My Changeling Beguiler took SF Enchants, then Unsettling Enchantment. At 6th I took Practiced Spellcaster Warlock so I could go Edritch Theurge.

Just don't try to do everything. If your Illusions/Enchants can't hurt something, then buff those who can.

If you really want to hurt something buy a Runestaff or part of the Raiment of Four. My goggles allow me to convert spells (3rd lvl or higher) into Fireballs. Arcane Disciple has an alignment requirement - Exact alignment of your God for one of his/her Domain lists. These can only be used 1/day.

Unsett Enchants is very useful in combat - even if the enemy passes his save, he's still -2 AC -2 Attack for 1 rnd! :smallbiggrin:

Cheers
Paul H

Kurald Galain
2008-09-16, 03:33 AM
Arcane Disciple: Sun Domain will give you some anti-undead and direct damage spells.

You could also combine Arcane Disciple with a Reserve feat to gain something like Fiery Burst or Storm Bolt.

+1.

You can also use Arcane Disciple to grab summoner domain, and take the conjure elemental reserve feat. Depending on what level you are, quicken spell may be worth it.

Don't do arcane strike as a Beguiler; if you're in melee You're Doing It Wrong.

If you're a gnome you always qualify for shadowcraft cheese...

NeoVid
2008-09-16, 03:45 AM
Obtain Familiar is amazing for a Beguiler, as your familiar has all the same skill ranks you do. Including Use Magic Device (assuming you get some worth using...)

If you're already playing a gnome Beguiler, you should be seriously looking into the Shadowcraft Mage PrC from Races of Stone. Googling the Killer Gnome guide will show you a few things, even if you don't go that route with your character.

Person_Man
2008-09-16, 09:29 AM
Obtain Familiar is amazing for a Beguiler, as your familiar has all the same skill ranks you do. Including Use Magic Device (assuming you get some worth using...)

"Watch out for the Beguiler's kitten - it carries around a Wand of Fireballs and uses it to hunt mice. Damn familiars."

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-16, 09:33 AM
"Watch out for the Beguiler's kitten - it carries around a Wand of Fireballs and uses it to hunt mice. Damn familiars."Fireball? As if. It's a cat, it obviously uses Aspect of the Wolf. And hunts dogs with it. :smallamused: