PDA

View Full Version : Saga-style Skills for 3.5 [House Rules]

Maerok
2008-09-15, 10:22 AM
After twenty years mucking around in dungeons, why haven't you learned how to pick locks Mr. Wizard? You've seen the rogue do it and maybe you're preoccupied with magic but there's always time for a hobby. And you Mr. Assassin. Why were you able to hide so well but can't take a single step? You'd think that over time you'd gradually pick up some training that progressed beyond synergy. And so...

I really like the skills system for Star Wars Saga edition. So to remove all the hassle I see with 3.5 skills, I'm trying to blend the two.

For this system, we also need to remove a few excess skills. They'll show up later, but they're the kinds of skills you wouldn't gladly take unless they did more, so...

Composite Skills:
Athletics (Str) = Climb + Jump + Swim (armor check penalty as normal, depending on situation)
Mechanics (Dex) = Open Lock + Disable Device
Perception (Wis) = Listen + Spot + Search + Sense Motive
Stealth (Dex) = Hide + Move Silently

There are a few more that can be done, but this is just to be an example for now.

Trained Skills at First Level:
You start your character at first level with a number of trained skills. How many? 1 + 1/2 the 3.5 number + Int modifier (+1 for humans). So fighters get 2 + Int skills, rogues get 5 + Int, and so on. Any skill you have training in gets a +3 bonus.

Trained Skills Later On:
As you multiclass (you munchkin, you), you may train and take Skill Focus for any new skills you gain access to.

Skill Focus:
Skill Focus adds a +3 bonus; you need to be trained in the skill.

Total Skill Bonus:
1/2 (or 1/3 for DnD) character level + any training bonus + any Focus bonus + ability modifier

How Does This Affect Prestige Classes:
It's okay, Mr. Archmage. Shhh. Shhh. I don't see why you need those insane prerequisites for something you've wanted to do your whole life. They always said you could do anything you put your mind to, huh? So it's okay, we don't need such tyrannical prerequisites. If you need 13 ranks in Spot, then what they've always been saying is that you need to be level 10. So just say it. You must be level 10. Okay. And you have to be good at seeing you say? Well maybe you should train in that. And practice makes perfect so focus, focus, focus. Hmm. Well how about "13 ranks in Spot" becomes "Character level 10, trained in Perception, Skill Focus (Perception)". For any lesser skill requirements such as if the entire skill requirements were "13 Spot, 6 Disable Device, 2 Know (arcana)", you simply need to be trained in that skill.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-15, 12:46 PM
You start your character at first level with a number of trained skills. How many? 1 + 1/2 the 3.5 number + Int modifier (+1 for humans). So fighters get 2 + Int skills, rogues get 5 + Int, and so on. Any skill you have training in gets a +3 bonus.

So, when you say "½ the 3.5 number", I assume that you mean "½ the skill points normally alloted per level in D&D (v3.5)"? If so, then that means the classes get:
{table=head]Class|Skill Points/Level
Barbarian|3+Int
Bard|4+Int
Cleric|2+Int
Druid|3+Int
Fighter|2+Int
Monk|3+Int
Paladin|2+Int
Ranger|4+Int
Rogue|5+Int
Sorcerer|2+Int
Wizard|2+Int
Adept|2+Int
Aristocrat|3+Int
Commoner|2+Int
Expert|4+Int
Warrior|2+Int[/table]

Also, I'm not sure if this is a workable "solution" to the skills "problem" in 3E. I'd say most people who play would want to have more skill points, while your system gives them less on average. Now, many of these skills have been combined, so a point spent on 1 new skill would cover what a number of old skills could accomplish, but still. This takes options away, & forces players to spend their reduced skill point pools on fewer skills. So far, this is not a variant that I would implement in one of my games.

Cainen
2008-09-15, 12:50 PM
Sense Motive isn't perception in the physical sense.