PDA

View Full Version : This DM needs some help, please

Kayoden Usoden
2008-09-15, 12:40 PM
i am working on a game were the players are in what i call 'battle city' the plot is there are several teams trying to kill each other. the players are the last to get there which means they need to make an H.Q. fast or they are fragged.

what i need help with is making teams to fight the players.

here are the stats on the players:

6-8 players
each level 40 with 25 extra feats
there stats are three at 50 and three at 30
they will be given the normale weapons as while as some guns.

any suggestions on what to and to this maddness?

EDIT:
The resion i have them so powerfull is so i can throw my really nasty stuff i have been saving for about 3 years.

on another not: if i make then plan lv 10... they will just level the damn place and leave, we have done it before >_>

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-15, 01:05 PM
You need dozens of epic-level NPCs to challenge the team? Good luck. Building one is a huge chore.

Balancing anything at epic levels is freaking impossible, but you've really dug yourself down the extra mile.

Try starting a game with a mechanical premise that makes any sense. The plot isn't necessarily bad, but try it with, say, 32 point buy and ECL 10, by the books. (Well, assuming this is D&D 3.x - you give zero indication what game this is.)

Duke of URL
2008-09-15, 01:13 PM
Yikes... assuming you're talking D&D 3.x here (given the level indicator, and more importantly, feats), this sounds rather ridiculous in terms of mechanics -- any such character could likely destroy the entire city from half the material plane away. If epic spellcasting is in the mix, then balance is out of the question, all that matters is who wins initiative.

I agree with the previous poster -- scale down the power levels to something more manageable; it will make the game more playable and make your NPC creation easier.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-15, 01:20 PM
If epic spellcasting is in the mix, then balance is out of the question, all that matters is who wins initiative.

Well, who can mitigate their game-winning epic spell better (and thus research it faster) is more important, I think.

Prometheus
2008-09-15, 02:43 PM
That seems absurdly ridiculous in power, I don't know anything about the game mechanics at the level, if there are any. Maybe less levels but everyone gets to be a high ECL race? I dunno, your call.

In case it turns out that the players are more defensive than offensive (I don't think this is the case), or the definition of kill/destroy a little looser, maybe you instead want it to be the first team the accomplishes an insurmountable objective. I dunno, build their own plane up with living creatures and destroy the planes of everyone else?

monty
2008-09-15, 04:33 PM
I can see it now...the spellcasters all go hide in their personal untouchable demi-planes, researching the best epic spells possible. By the time any of them are done, there's only one non-caster left (assuming there were any to begin with), who promptly gets blasted into super-death. Then they all sit for the rest of eternity, waiting for one of the others to come out of hiding. Since they've undoubtedly researched spells to give them immortality, they never die of old age and are finally all destroyed by the eventual collapse of the multiverse.

Sound fun?

arguskos
2008-09-15, 04:35 PM
I can see it now...the spellcasters all go hide in their personal untouchable demi-planes, researching the best epic spells possible. By the time any of them are done, there's only one non-caster left (assuming there were any to begin with), who promptly gets blasted into super-death. Then they all sit for the rest of eternity, waiting for one of the others to come out of hiding. Since they've undoubtedly researched spells to give them immortality, they never die of old age and are finally all destroyed by the eventual collapse of the multiverse.

Sound fun?
Yup. It's done in ten minutes of playtime, and you can go play something less crazy.

To the OP: Really man, maybe epic levels should be left in their well-deserved grave. Play the same thing at level 10, and we'll talk.

-argus

monty
2008-09-15, 04:57 PM
Oh, and let's not forget the army of 10^(some ridiculous number) solars each one has from DC mitigation. They could fight indefinitely without ever making contact with each other.

Dr Bwaa
2008-09-15, 05:02 PM

Sound fun?

Quoted. Well, I tried but it's too long to put in a sig apparently :-/ Also, kudos to the guy who played a non-caster (though honestly in this madhouse, it would be fine to be a 19-level full-BAB build plus 21 levels of Caster. Those other 19 levels of ....whatever aren't exactly going to matter; you could put them all in Monk and still be "balanced.") :smallbiggrin:

And at below: nice.

BRC
2008-09-15, 05:04 PM
Level 40 characters don't form teams, they form pantheons.
At That level, a rogue would be capable of bluffing past Themselves.
A Cleric would have usurped their deity.
A Wizard/Sorceror would sneeze Expanded Maximized Empowered Fireballs. They would have to keep themselves constantly drunk so they don't think too hard and rip a hole in reality.
A Druid would wildshape into a swarm of dire bears.
A Fighter would Dual-wield Planets and would need twenty pages for his feats.
A Monk would actually be useful.
A Barbarian would accidentally commit genocide everytime he raged.

quillbreaker
2008-09-15, 05:10 PM
here are the stats on the players:

6-8 players
each level 40 with 25 extra feats
there stats are three at 50 and three at 30
they will be given the normale weapons as while as some guns.

If you want to play a game where the players can warp reality with a thought and ultimately redefine existence, play Mage. It's less paperwork.

BRC
2008-09-15, 05:12 PM
What really nasty stuff do you have in mind that requires level 40 characters with 25 extra feats?
I just have to know.

Also: if they object to playing at level ten, I shudder to think what would happen if you started at level one (Where most games start)

Destro_Yersul
2008-09-15, 05:12 PM
Level 40 characters don't form teams, they form pantheons.
At That level, a rogue would be capable of bluffing past Themselves.
A Cleric would have usurped their deity.
A Wizard/Sorceror would sneeze Expanded Maximized Empowered Fireballs. They would have to keep themselves constantly drunk so they don't think too hard and rip a hole in reality.
A Druid would wildshape into a swarm of dire bears.
A Fighter would Dual-wield Planets and would need twenty pages for his feats.
A Barbarian would accidentally commit genocide everytime he raged.

And the bard would blow people's minds (literally) with his epic solos.

monty
2008-09-15, 05:18 PM

Are you sure about that?
Also, at that level, a Truenamer would be absolutely incapable of doing anything.
Ok, probably not, because WBL is meaningless well before that point, so you could probably afford a +lots custom item of Truenaming.

Eldran
2008-09-16, 07:10 AM
Kayoden, maybe you should post the "really nasty stuff" that you want to use here. The forum members could then provide you with advice as to which player-level would be appropriate.

Regarding the original scenario: Sorry, but that sounds like a battle in a game of synnibar (pardon me for saying the evil word) and not like something that could be "reasonably" executed within the D&D-system.