PDA

View Full Version : Race: Portfolk

Singhilarity
2008-09-15, 05:59 PM
Having just finished Neil Gaiman's exceptional Neverwhere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwhere), I felt inspired to cook up a race with abilities similar to those of Door's Family.

Simply put, they are able to open locked/stuck objects, or create doors where none exist.

Thus spawned my idea for Portfolk;

LA + 1 or +2

Racial Bonuses; +2 to CHA, +4 to Escape Artist, +2 to Move Silently, +2 to UMD, +4 to search checks for finding hidden doors
Lowlight Vision 30'

Spell-like Abilities; Knock, Passwall (as Caster Level 9th - 10 feet long)
Portfolk may use their Spell-Like Abilities a number of times per day equal to their Charisma Modifier. When they reach half of their limit, they become fatigued, if they reach the limit, roll a d20. On a 1, they permanently lose 1 point of CON.

Portfolk may never have a Lawful alignment. They naturally resent authority, and will avoid contact with such figures to the best of their ability.

Portfolk have a particular fondness for complex mechanical devices, and, though many have a sense of honour, such devices, if pocketable, tend to disappear the minute they're unguarded in the presence of a Portfolk.

Favoured Class; Rogue.

No one knows the precise origins of the Portfolk, a semi-nomadic race of pale, wiry humanoids. Made distinct from other Humans by their eyes, the irises of which are often a firey orange interspersed with lilac purple, Portfolk are drawn to cities, though rarely observed walking it's streets, as they are near universally despised by authoritarian rulers and their enforcers.

Wily, slow to trust, and quick to steal and run, Portfolk take only what they need to survive. They live by their wits, the support of their clan, and their insatiable curiosity. They are surprisingly mechanically clever, for a people who so openly avoid common society, and it is unknown, exactly how they manage to coax objects, even stone walls, into opening for them, though on the rare occasions that they have chosen to discuss their knack (either to a friend who has distinctly earned their trust, or a favour - for they are a people notoriously obsessed with debts, or under extreme duress in the face of familial torture - for they are quite honourbound, in their way) they state merely that they "listen to how, and help the thing to open. All things want to be opened, you know"

For all their secrecy, the Portfolk are thoroughly casual about their abilities, and have never hesitated to use them (whether for escape, or some other purpose) in front of other people. They generally don't assume they'll stick around long enough to ever have to explain it.

Portfolk are quite a short-lived race, though this usually has to do with their choice to live underground, vagabond lives in busy metropolises, much to the chagrin of the local police. Adulthood starts at age 15, though they are working from age 6. It is rare to meet a Portfolk older than age 45, and those who do live beyond their late adult years are revered as elders, not expected to surface nearly as regularly, for they are the keepers of wisdom, lore, and tradition. Age does not diminish the Portfolk's physical capabilities, though, and many an unsuspecting citizen has been startled by the reflexes and strength of a seemingly aged Portfolk.

All members of a Portfolk clan are expected to contribute by whatever means they can - whether finding food, information, or goods, minding the youth, crafting wares/clothing or keeping lookout.

It is uncommon for a Portfolk to leave their city, but it has been known to happen, more often than not due to some debt incurred (something they will honour in fullness, though they resent it), though occasionally by their own volition. There is a 50/50 chance that such Portfolk will ever return.

Lone Portfolk have been known to settle down with Humans, in a city, and start a family. Their children always seem to have a similar knack for causing openings and passageways when needed, and though such domesticated Portfolk scarcely use their abilities, they will always teach their children how to use their powers to their fullest benefit. They are as disdainful as the local authorities as the authorities are of them, though once domesticated, there seems to be an unspoken truce, if not an uneasy one. Domesticated Portfolk often have a longer lifespan than their bretheren, though they rarely pass their mid 60s. The oldest on record seems to have barely made 70.

Portfolk will occasionally hold Market, and this is, for them, the most joyous of occasions. They will spread word through trusted sources at the beginning of the week before hand, Finding a Portfolk Market is a fortunate thing indeed, for there you will find many rare and exotic furnishings and devices available for startlingly cheap, though they are most oft scavenged or stolen. They have no fondness for money, and would rather exchange their wares for useful or interesting trinkets, or, for the brave (or foolish) a favour, which you can be absolutely certain they will call in.

Prometheus
2008-09-15, 09:11 PM
Neverwhere is awesome indeed. I have nothing to say that can top that.

sigurd
2008-09-16, 01:08 AM
Neverwhere is a special kind of excellent.

Don't you think Door's family would be mostly humans with an inherited template though?

I think the 'Floating Market' needs its own entry.

Floating Market
Mythal or Greater Enchantment

Even dangerous and terrible creatures living in close proximity still need to eat, conduct business, and advance their lives. So it is that by enchantment, necessity or unknown powers floating markets occur. These markets are rare areas of enforced, universal truce where treaties are entered, negotiations are made, and all manner of business is conducted.
Great and small forces make use of these markets and once established floating markets have a powerful magic all their own.
Floating markets move to random locations across a region. Reaching the market may have dangers and magical trials imposed by the enchantment. Often they might occur one day in a month.

1. All that attend share a peacebond. Great and terrible penalties are placed on those that break this truce. It extends among all who attend the market for the entire official duration.

2. The effects of this magic make it impossible to lie or mislead others about the place and time the market occurs.

3. Travelers leaving the market cannot prevent each other from returning by the terms of the peacebond.

4. The nature of the enchantment ensures that some method must exist to reach each market. Undertaking the journey is risky because untold dangers may lie along its route. These dangers, pitfalls and trials of luck or skill must be accomplished or travelers fall from the path and loose the protection of the peacebond.

Once at the market a carnival atmosphere, like that of a great bazaar is shared by all. Floating markets offer the greatest possible variety of goods and services from all the factions of a region and some who may have traveled a great distance. If it can be bought, negotiated, or seen it will be drawn to the market.

Something like that.

Sigurd

Singhilarity
2008-09-16, 01:19 AM
Beautiful, I'm all for that.

I'm also suggesting a slightly modified Race, y'know, for use in campaigns and such...

Thoughts? Comments?
What's an Appropriate LA?
Does anything seem glaringly wrong? Anything work?

(And I agree, Floating Market would be a gorgeous effect to implement - the only errata I would make relates to preventing people from REACHING it. Leaving it, sure. Reaching it, I think, you're on your own.)

sigurd
2008-09-16, 06:54 AM
I completely agree. I removed the part about safe passage to the market.

Re: Race vs.. Template.

I think you're right about it being a modified race. I suspect the modification is based on a role to play in Neverwhere. I think in a D&D world with goblins and elves and such it would be consistent to even have the Port Family be goblins. So something like a Bloodline feat\template. If the power is open to you it is passed on to your children, like in the book.

After all Door is treated as a Lady with the ennoblement of her family abilities.

How would you deal with the the Marquis de Carapace? or the two killers?

Sigurd

Singhilarity
2008-09-16, 01:07 PM
I think you're misunderstanding.

I'm not trying to port Neverwhere over, which would be awesome, but beyond what I'm willing to dedicate myself to.

I tend to use homebrew universes, because they allow me all the freedom that I need.
I can import quests, use all the predesigned planes, and also add in whatever it is I feel compelled to add - so this isn't exactly designed for "Greyhawk" or "Eberon" or any of the others.

But it's a shot at a Race... specifically a "unique" race, which people can, if so inspired, import into their campaigns.

I'm not sure if they'll surface in my current one, but they may in the future.

That said, the template is a kind of interesting idea... the more I think about it, the more I like it. Something that can be added to any Race for an LA? Essentially kept the same, just not a race of their own, per say?

Perhaps they have origins in the Windswepth Depths of Pandemonium... I think they'd do ok down there...

It would be epic to port Neverwhere. I don't feel capable of it yet, but hey, who knows...

Still, Floating Market alone is an *AWESOME* idea to bring

sigurd
2008-09-16, 01:41 PM
The template is just a clear game mechanic. There's nothing in the ability that is terribly cultural or linked to a physical trait. So you might as well keep it flexible.

You would still be able to have your unique race just limit the template to one instance in your game world. Many templates are only available to the DM just to make life easier. I can see lots of use for a 'Portal Master' template. It would fit very well into any planescape setting.

I think you have to come up with rules that still allow thieves to function in the setting though. Not good having an uber opener looking at a thrice protected super chest and just go SNAP and its open. There should be risk to the character and maintain a role for Rogue Skills.

Sigurd.

Kami2awa
2008-09-17, 06:20 PM
Don't forget that Opening in Neverwhere is a very powerful weapon, since you can "open" PEOPLE with a touch. It's not described fully but based on what happened to the orange in Lord Portico's lecture, it probably turns the target inside out.

Singhilarity
2008-09-17, 06:40 PM
Don't forget that Opening in Neverwhere is a very powerful weapon, since you can "open" PEOPLE with a touch. It's not described fully but based on what happened to the orange in Lord Portico's lecture, it probably turns the target inside out.

Er, actually it's the goon at the very beginning, who tries to knife Door.
She opens his chest, spilling his guts all over the place.

That said, this is based on Neverwhere, not trying to re-create it.
Inspired by, not mirroring.

I was thinking about it, but I think an ability like such would be just a mite overly powerful...