PDA

View Full Version : Racial Classes

thegurullamen
2008-09-15, 05:59 PM
No, not the Savage Species. I was wondering if there are level progressions for racial abilities. For example, an elf gradually becoming more dextrous or arcaney as they gain Hit Dice, irrelevant as to what those Dice are from. Or a dwarf that gets hardier. basically, asomething that prevent racial abilities from becoming all but worthless in the mid levels. If not, I think I'd like to build something. Nothing too invasive, just minor, unique boosts that say "Hey, I'm a dwarf and it matters, damn it!"

JackMage666
2008-09-15, 06:02 PM
Racial Substitution Level are the best I can think of. You can find them in the Races of X books.

Also, Racial Paragon Classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm), thought they're only 3 levels, your DM could grants them at level 5, level 10, level 15, as a bonus gestalt level, I suppose...

thegurullamen
2008-09-15, 10:22 PM
I'm not looking for replacement levels, though some racial levels can be fun, nor am I looking for feats, which are hard enough to come by that you usually want to make them worth taking. I'm looking for racial features that improve as you level without the need to take feats or class levels to improve them. Think raptorans here. They have wings, but can't properly use them until they gain a certain number of Hit Dice. Until then, they can only glide poorly. I'd like to follow a similar path with the established races.

Para example:

Elves
At 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th HD, elves gain a cumulative +1 bonus to all dexterity and intelligence ability checks. In addition, at these HD, they may add a +1 racial modifier to any one dexterity or intelligence keyed skill they currently have ranks in.

At 10 HD, an elf deals one extra point of damage with any elf racial weapon. also, he may choose any cantrip from the Sor/Wiz spell list. He may cast this at will as if he were a wizard with a caster level of 3/4 his HD. At 20 HD, he may do this with any one 1st level spell. He also deals one extra die of damage with any elven racial weapon.

Dwarves
At 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th HD, elves gain a cumulative +1 bonus to all constitution and strength ability checks. In addition, at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th HD they may add a +1 racial modifier to any one strength or constitution keyed skill they currently have ranks in.

At 10 HD, a dwarf may take any fighter bonus feat he qualifies for. For the purposes of this feat, he is treated as a Fighter with a level of two lower than his current HD and a BAB of three higher. He also deals one extra point of damage with any dwarf racial weapon. At 20 HD, he may choose any fighter feat and disregard two of the prerequisites. He also deals one extra die of damage with a dwarf racial weapon.