View Full Version : Inevitables

afroakuma
2008-09-15, 06:45 PM
The 3.5 Monster Manual supplied the first three Inevitables:

Zelekhut: Hunts those who flee punishment
Kolyarut: Hunts those who breach contracts
Marut: Hunts those who cheat death

The Fiend Folio added two more:

Quarut: Hunts those who threaten time and space with powerful magic.
Varakhut: Hunts those who assault the gods.

(And no, I will not count that damn sandstorm one)

I'm trying to think of additional Inevitables to design, but I'm stuck on what crimes they could be dedicated to. Any ideas on what sort of things would warrant an Inevitable?

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-15, 06:53 PM
Well, we in our hombebrew setting, we have an inevitable for those who preform dramatic alteration to living creatures, and one that goes after people who want to largely alter the Good-evil axis.
Those are some ideas.

@V heh...?

Waspinator
2008-09-15, 06:54 PM
Bookut: Hunts child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Ascension
2008-09-15, 07:08 PM
Minor Inevitables...

Cheating in relationships, Threatening lawfully appointed rulers (toppling kings, etc.)

Major Inevitables...

Threatening Law on a planar level (unleashing demons en masse on a particular plane, etc.)

Really, Really Major Inevitables...

Threatening Law on a multiversal level (Like attacking the Great Modron March, pissing off the DM, etc.).

Connington
2008-09-15, 07:09 PM
Bookut: Hunts child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

While non-fatal, he does shoot out the knee caps of those he is charged to hunt down.

Zeful
2008-09-15, 07:20 PM
And knows more than he should for a preacher.

Patashu
2008-09-15, 07:22 PM
Hunting those who try to apply...

Physics to magic
Economics to magic (flesh to salt et all)

EDIT: Obviously the inevitable is a catgirl.

SurlySeraph
2008-09-15, 07:34 PM
@V heh...?

It's a reference to Firefly.
If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-09-15, 07:45 PM
(And no, I will not count that damn sandstorm one)

:smallconfused:

There was a Sandstorm Inevitable?

Devils_Advocate
2008-09-15, 07:52 PM
The most powerful variety of inevitable would presumably be devoted to thwarting attempts to destroy the multiverse or otherwise fundamentally disrupt the cosmic order.

For example, I can't imagine that Mechanus would just stand by as someone moved a layer of Celestia to the Abyss, or vice versa. Hey, sufficiently epic magic could probably do that. I'm pretty sure that sufficiently epic magic can do anything. So obviously epic inevitables would be required to stop such things.

Ascension
2008-09-15, 07:56 PM
The most powerful variety of inevitable would presumably be devoted to thwarting attempts to destroy the multiverse or otherwise fundamentally disrupt the cosmic order.

For example, I can't imagine that Mechanus would just stand by as someone moved a layer of Celestia to the Abyss, or vice versa. Hey, sufficiently epic magic could probably do that. I'm pretty sure that sufficiently epic magic can do anything. So obviously epic inevitables would be required to stop such things.

I read that wrong and thought you were suggesting that Mechanus itself should be the most epic Inevitable. Though that's not what you were saying, it's an awesome thought, so I'll say it. If you're in an Epic campaign and your party is trying to disrupt the entire multiverse, send MECHANUS ITSELF after them. All the floating gears? They mesh together to form a plane-sized Inevitable.

KevLar
2008-09-15, 07:59 PM
If you want to go classic there, think of ancient taboos. Incest, kin-slaying, slaying a guest who has slept under your roof and/or eaten at your table, breaking solemn oaths, cannibalism (especially if you eat your children)... someone should hunt you for that sort of thing.

Shhhh!
2008-09-15, 08:01 PM
So, Mechanus is Unicron?

SurlySeraph
2008-09-15, 08:01 PM
:smallconfused:

There was a Sandstorm Inevitable?

It tracks down people who try to make deserts fertile. Because nature is self-destructive that way. :smallsigh:

I read that wrong and thought you were suggesting that Mechanus itself should be the most epic Inevitable. Though that's not what you were saying, it's an awesome thought, so I'll say it. If you're in an Epic campaign and your party is trying to disrupt the entire multiverse, send MECHANUS ITSELF after them. All the floating gears? They mesh together to form a plane-sized Inevitable.

I don't think the average Inevitable goes for "Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!", but that is a very Tengen Toppa-esque idea.

Ascension
2008-09-15, 08:04 PM
I don't think the average Inevitable goes for "Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!", but that is a very Tengen Toppa-esque idea.

I was thinking of TTGL when I posted that. Except Mechanus would be more like the Anti-Spiral version.

A duel between Mechanus and Limbo as giant fighting mecha... you know you want to see it.

Hal
2008-09-15, 08:27 PM
I think there was some supplement somewhere that statted out a lot of the lesser beings of mechanus. Anybody?

As for design, what is the focus of your campaign? For example, if your players are trying to find a necromancer, you could make an inevitable who hunts creators of the undead. Something to that effect.

Inhuman Bot
2008-09-15, 08:29 PM
I think there was some supplement somewhere that statted out a lot of the lesser beings of mechanus. Anybody?

As for design, what is the focus of your campaign? For example, if your players are trying to find a necromancer, you could make an inevitable who hunts creators of the undead. Something to that effect.

So like small scale maruts?

It's a reference to Firefly.

oooooohhhhh...... Thanks, SS.
I've heard alot, but barely watched FF. I'll have to do that sometime.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-15, 08:34 PM
What about a different section of Inevitables that work in a slightly different way? Ones that bend fate the way they see is best for existence, like the Sidereals from Exalted.

Starsinger
2008-09-15, 08:42 PM
I don't think you guys are seeing the important part here. What Shhhh! said was sheer and utter genius/awesome.

Prometheus
2008-09-15, 08:55 PM
Planar travel is a big one. I had one haul the PCs off to extraplanar court when they killed someone who was responsible for maintaining a portal to the planes. They got off the hook because someone else opened a portal that wasn't authorized. This is just jaunts and shifts mind you, but gates, circles, and portals.

Draco Dracul
2008-09-15, 09:03 PM
For a modern setting my I suggest an Inevitable who hunts down people who call after 10PM on weeknights?

Blue Ghost
2008-09-15, 09:24 PM
I would wonder if there's an inevitable who hunts tax evaders. Maybe that's the job of the kolyarut, but if not, there should be an inevitable for that. After all, death and taxes are inevitable.

thegurullamen
2008-09-15, 10:11 PM
How about an inevitable that hunts down powerful clerics and favored souls because they disrupt the balance of positive and negative ambient energies on non +/- dominant planes? For example, one would hunt down good clerics in times of peace because they're offsetting the negative energy of the material plane which is necessary to ensure entropy. The opposite would be true in times of Armageddon and utter oblivion. Obviously, good clerics are in the cross-hairs more often.

This could also easily apply to all other elemental and aligned energies, except maybe law. Then again, an inevitable that hunts down people because they're too orderly and disrupt the flow of the universe would be self-defeatingly awesome. Purpose-of-existence-fail.

Hawriel
2008-09-15, 10:11 PM
Fica: He always gets his cut of your loot.

Chronos
2008-09-15, 10:13 PM
You need to make a CR 1/2 one for people who remove the tags from mattresses.

thegurullamen
2008-09-16, 12:20 AM
There should also be ones for those insects and animals that break free of the swarm and do their own thing. Make a swarm of inevitables intent on tracking down swarm fugitives and kill them in an ironic fashion. Then replace that member with one of the inevitable swarm's units. To replace the lost inevitable, have the swarm constantly making more from dust particles, specs of dirt, magical energy and the corpses of slain swarm-foes.

Waspinator
2008-09-16, 12:27 AM
You need to make a CR 1/2 one for people who remove the tags from mattresses.

And a CR 1 for people who don't remind tapes before giving them back.

chiasaur11
2008-09-16, 12:36 AM
I don't think you guys are seeing the important part here. What Shhhh! said was sheer and utter genius/awesome.

Yes. Of course, I suggested it months ago.

Not that I'm bitter. Not that he said it better than I did or anything.

And the second key point is forcing everyone to watch Firefly.

(Oh, and statting out the mattress tag guy)

How about one who follows adventurers around on general principle. I mean, they're behind 90 percent of this stuff anyway.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-16, 12:55 AM
A CR 1/16th one for people who cheat while playing Rock, Paper, Scissors (sp?)?
Nah, that's just rediculous. But, I had to say it.

Eldan
2008-09-16, 01:34 AM
I don't think the Inevitables should be those who try to maintain the balance between positive/negative, good/evil, the elements or law/chaos. This is after all the Rilmanis job.
They should hunt down those who go against the law. At the moment, I'm thinking of Sandman. The Kindly Ones weren't really Inevitables in the DnD sense, but an Inevitable of Filicide would make sense. Ditto Patricide.

FMArthur
2008-09-16, 06:56 AM
35HD inevitable: "By court order on authority of Mechanus, you are to be executed by this unit for unacceptable behavior on the internet. If you have any appeals to make to the supreme Court of Mechanus, you may make them to this unit now and the court may yet find you innocent, and allow a resurrection. There will be no recompense in such a case."

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-09-16, 08:05 AM
There should be one that specifically hunts down anyone that tries to become Pun-Pun, and kills them before they succeed.

DigoDragon
2008-09-16, 08:16 AM
EDIT: Obviously the inevitable is a catgirl.

So like something on the power level of Catgirl Nuku-Nuku?

I read that wrong and thought you were suggesting that Mechanus itself should be the most epic Inevitable.

Why not? Something on the level of Unicron came to my mind as well. I think "Shhhh!" and "chiasaur11" are on to something here. :smallamused:
DM: "Rocks fall, Unicron eats everything, everyone dies."

Neon Knight
2008-09-16, 08:27 AM
If you want to go classic there, think of ancient taboos. Incest, kin-slaying, slaying a guest who has slept under your roof and/or eaten at your table, breaking solemn oaths, cannibalism (especially if you eat your children)... someone should hunt you for that sort of thing.

Except that some of those are not universally taboos. Certain cultures practiced these. Heck, royal families once made a habit of marrying cousins and even brothers and sisters, to keep the bloodlines pure. How else did all those genetic mutation get into the bloodline?

Cannibalism, although not universally a taboo, is still for most cultures a taboo.

Though the guest one is pretty good. Ancient hospitality laws/customs for most cultures seem to indicate that if you took a man in as a guest, yuo were responsible for his well being.

KevLar
2008-09-16, 08:50 AM
Except that some of those are not universally taboos. Certain cultures practiced these.
I agree. I just gave some ideas, and the OP could pick and choose whatever fits better with his setting.

Another, almost universal, belief was that curses actually work. And I don't mean just a "spellcaster's" curse (wizards, sages, witchdoctors, witches...), but also a curse uttered by a completely normal/mundane person, as long as he has been horribly wronged (a plague on both your houses! :smalltongue:) - or happens to be a progenitor. A curse by a mother to her own child should be, err, inevitable. I've always wonder how this belief could be represented by D&D rules, and an Inevitable isn't such a bad idea, come to think of it. Hmmm...

Starshade
2008-09-16, 09:04 AM

Id not use the whole, but, i can imagine a clockwork Inevitable using 5-10m tall cogs, a tarasque size inevitable, could work, even larger ones.

An idea if any of you want a *funny* Mechanus story:

- An adventure party in mechanus camps for the night, and ends up on a non moving wheel as camp(give them a reason to, or just fudge them to right spot). And, feel earthquake on the 100f broad cog they sleep on, suddenly all cogs around them start working, they themself start rotate 1 rotation every 3. minute or so.

And, the clockwork drift apart, they see they stand in the belly of a big clockwork creature 600-700 feet tall, a Inevitable made to hunt creatures to big for the other ones. :smallsmile:

bosssmiley
2008-09-16, 09:06 AM
How about the Hansbriqut? That's an Inebitable designed to make sure people abide by their treaty obligations. If they don't it sends them a very, very stern letter (laced with explosive runes, symbols of x and sepia snake sigils). :smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2008-09-16, 09:22 AM
So, Mechanus is Unicron?

Yes.

The only thing that can truly oppose the massive Transformer tm that is Mechanus are the swirling masses of Limbo. Unfortunatly, we all know the slaadi are really just lawful beings disguised as creatures of chaos, and they have secretly been working with the modrons to transform Limbo into a giant mecha of elemental masses which will join up with Unicron Mechanus (as well as a small group of epic-level rangers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Rangers:_Mystic_Force)) to form Limbanus and take over the multiverse and inforce the powers of law, making us all eat nutritional breakfasts every day at 7:00am on the dot while watching poor-quality japanese-based children's television series. Damn you Limbanus! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!

I'm sorry.

Person_Man
2008-09-16, 09:34 AM
Quarut: Hunts those who threaten time and space with powerful magic.

Finally, I've found something RAW to use against my PC who abuse Celerity, White Raven Tactics, Abjurant Champion, etc.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-16, 09:39 AM
There's too much win and references to stuff I like in this thread to stamp each individual cool element (from Firefly and TTGL to the idea of an inevitable who hunts DND rules exploiters), so instead I'll give my seal to the whole thing.
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/approve.PNG

EvilElitest
2008-09-16, 10:31 AM
There's too much win and references to stuff I like in this thread to stamp each individual cool element (from Firefly and TTGL to the idea of an inevitable who hunts DND rules exploiters), so instead I'll give my seal to the whole thing.
http://ffrpg.republika.pl/approve.PNG

oh classy
from
EE

Telonius
2008-09-16, 11:44 AM
Perhaps some Inevitables dedicated to maintaining the balance of mass and energy among the planes. Summon too many Walls of Iron, and you have one of them come after you.

Blackfang108
2008-09-16, 11:48 AM
Finally, I've found something RAW to use against my PC who abuse Celerity, White Raven Tactics, Abjurant Champion, etc.

White Raven Tactics is just good strategy, nto threatening the Time/Space continuum.

Not sure on AC.

Celerity, however, very much so. and don't forget Time Stop.

Chronos
2008-09-16, 12:26 PM
Heck, royal families once made a habit of marrying cousins and even brothers and sisters, to keep the bloodlines pure.That doesn't mean it wasn't taboo, though. Quite the contrary: A taboo is something that only the king/high priest/chief mugwump does. It's just as mandatory for the Big Guy as it is forbidden to everyone else. Think of it as a way of demonstrating that the same rules do not apply to the boss.

Neon Knight
2008-09-16, 12:34 PM
That doesn't mean it wasn't taboo, though. Quite the contrary: A taboo is something that only the king/high priest/chief mugwump does. It's just as mandatory for the Big Guy as it is forbidden to everyone else. Think of it as a way of demonstrating that the same rules do not apply to the boss.

The incest taboo is an extremely controversial and complicated thing. It was not, however, limited to royalty. Research points this way and that, but I am fairly certain that it was not just a "little guy's only" rule.

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-16, 03:42 PM
You could have the "Into everyone's life some rain must fall" Inevitable. It would go around making sure no one is ever completely happy with their lives.

Or a Murphy's Law Inevitable. It'd go after anyone that seemed to always get lucky.

Or a Gravity Inevitable, whose job is to crash large floating objects like magically suspended cities.

Or a Monty Python Inevitable that targets anyone that references "The Holy Grail" or any other Flying circus skit. In a roleplaying game, it's inevitable they get mentioned. :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2008-09-16, 05:13 PM
Or a Gravity Inevitable, whose job is to crash large floating objects like magically suspended cities.

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

This is gold!

I can just picture the thing appearing on the Prime at the height of the Empire of Netheril (or in Alphatia's Floating Ar), looking around disapprovingly and saying: "These things just have to go."

Gravitaqut HAET earthmote! :smallmad:

I got another one! The Inevitables who are tasked with ensuring that the laws of conservation of energy and momentum are obeyed. They spend their days travelling the planes destroying perpetual motion devices like reserve gravity turbines, golem-cranks, skeleton treadmills, decanter of endless waterwheels, etc. They are the dreaded Kaput.

@v: research, calling in favours and not fighting fair?

Gorbash
2008-09-16, 05:16 PM
Not exactly ontopic, but it has to do with Inevitables.

Inevitables are an awesome concept. Mechanically, they're lame. I have no idea how are they supposed to stop anyone.
Varakhuts hunt down those who want to be gods and they're CR19...? How the hell are they going to kill anyone who threatens the gods?
Quaruts are even worse. So they hunt down Time Stop abusing wizards, basically. Good luck stopping them with +6/+7/+9 saves.
Maruths despite their awesomeness, can't fly.

Etc.

Jayngfet
2008-09-16, 05:42 PM
How about a chaotic neutral druid version who hunts people that break "the inevitability of nature".

Ascension
2008-09-16, 06:07 PM
How about a chaotic neutral druid version who hunts people that break "the inevitability of nature".

Been there, met him, got the t-shirt. He was a reprogrammed genocidal maniac Inevitable who was tasked by the circle of druids who did the reprogramming to kill all the non-animal, non-fey inhabitants of one of the material planes in order to keep them from sullying nature. He succeeded. Unfortunately the campaign folded before we learned much more than that about him.

Devils_Advocate
2008-09-16, 06:14 PM
Perhaps some Inevitables dedicated to maintaining the balance of mass and energy among the planes. Summon too many Walls of Iron, and you have one of them come after you.

I got another one! The Inevitables who are tasked with ensuring that the laws of conservation of energy and momentum are obeyed. They spend their days travelling the planes destroying perpetual motion devices like reserve gravity turbines, golem-cranks, skeleton treadmills, decanter of endless waterwheels, etc. They are the dreaded Kaput.

Nerd General's Warning: Contemplating how the concept of statistical balance applies to an infinite multiverse can be hazardous to your brain.

"Break inevitability"? Wha huh? You can't prevent inevitable things from happening. That's what "inevitable", y'know, means.

shadow_archmagi
2008-09-16, 06:32 PM
Grr. Post didn't go through.

"People who constantly demand more inevitable, resulting in a 50-50 human-inevitable ratio. "

Jayngfet
2008-09-16, 07:04 PM
"Break inevitability"? Wha huh? You can't prevent inevitable things from happening. That's what "inevitable", y'know, means.

Sorry poorly worded.

Chronos
2008-09-16, 07:11 PM
I got another one! The Inevitables who are tasked with ensuring that the laws of conservation of energy and momentum are obeyed.On the Material Plane, spheres of annihilation spontaneously come into existence in exactly the needed numbers for conservation of mass to be preserved overall. They're an inherent part of the balance of the Universe.

Most things that add matter or energy to the Material Plane get it from one of the Elemental Planes. They need to balance, too: They all have the structure of an anti-de Sitter steady-state cosmology, with the infinite plane continually contracting into the sinks which feed into things like Decanters of Endless Water.

Trust me, it all works out in the end.

Gorbash
2008-09-16, 07:12 PM

Sure you can. Cast Temporal Stasis on one of them and build a mountain on the top of it with Move Earth = inevitability stopped. Transmutation has an answer for everything.

chiasaur11
2008-09-16, 07:30 PM
Sure you can. Cast Temporal Stasis on one of them and build a mountain on the top of it with Move Earth = inevitability stopped. Transmutation has an answer for everything.

Then it wasn't very inevitable, was it?

You just evited its butt.

Enlong
2008-09-16, 07:35 PM
I was thinking of TTGL when I posted that. Except Mechanus would be more like the Anti-Spiral version.

A duel between Mechanus and Limbo as giant fighting mecha... you know you want to see it.

Where would they fight?

MammonAzrael
2008-09-16, 07:39 PM
Epic Inevitable: It hunts down those wizards who wish to cheese through the universe worse than Pun-Pun by using Epic magic. It wields Epic magic like a scalpel, and looks like the Pillsbury dough boy.

Rebellious Inevitable: It hunts down characters who have thrown off the yoke of their always Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic evil ancestors.

THE Inevitable: It hunts down those that ignore Rule 0. It drops rocks on them. Everybody dies.

On a more serious note, the Logic Inevitable: It hunts those that try to apply magic logically to everyday life.

Where would they fight?

New Tokyo. That's where all major mecha battles take place.

Gorbash
2008-09-16, 07:41 PM
Then it wasn't very inevitable, was it?

You just evited its butt.

My point exactly. Inevitables are as inevitable as the summer snow. Sure, they will reach their destination. Annd then burn and die.

charl
2008-09-16, 07:47 PM
How about an inevitable that stops planar travelers from reaching the far realm? Due to mysterious reasons they don't appear to stop far realm-creatures from reaching the established planes however. Possibly due to bureaucracy.

shadow_archmagi
2008-09-16, 07:59 PM
My point exactly. Inevitables are as inevitable as the summer snow. Sure, they will reach their destination. Annd then burn and die.

I think they need a re-write that makes them reserved for high-level play, and then gives them immunity to death. Sure, you can take all its stats away, or drop it under a mountain, or sort of disabling attack, but it never stops coming for you.

Collin152
2008-09-16, 08:11 PM
I think they need a re-write that makes them reserved for high-level play, and then gives them immunity to death. Sure, you can take all its stats away, or drop it under a mountain, or sort of disabling attack, but it never stops coming for you.

I think the idea is that they send more out.

Ascension
2008-09-16, 08:41 PM
Where would they fight?

In the Far Realms. But they end up forming a truce and teaming up against Thoon.

Who also turns out to be a giant mech.

Shaped like a Mindflayer.

And powered by Cthulhu.

Gorbash
2008-09-16, 09:25 PM
I think the idea is that they send more out.

They do. They even send stronger ones. If the first one is destroyed. The one burried under a mountain in a temporal stasis is very much functional, unfortunately. He just happens to be in a state of suspended animation under a mountain.

It's because bureaucracy of Mechanus is simple, like a Pascal program. If inevitable = destroyed then send more/stronger. Since that term isn't fullfilled, they don't send out more. Sure, somebody will dig up that mountain someday, and he will continue hunting me, fine enough, I'll drop him off in the Abyss next time.

Singhilarity
2008-09-16, 09:26 PM
An Inevitable sent for those who meddle too much with Free Will.
Dominate, Charm, and Persuade heavy people, as well as big time Slave Runners, and possibly Necromancers who go about killing in order to raise an army of subjects.

Collin152
2008-09-16, 09:38 PM
They do. They even send stronger ones. If the first one is destroyed. The one burried under a mountain in a temporal stasis is very much functional, unfortunately. He just happens to be in a state of suspended animation under a mountain.

It's because bureaucracy of Mechanus is simple, like a Pascal program. If inevitable = destroyed then send more/stronger. Since that term isn't fullfilled, they don't send out more. Sure, somebody will dig up that mountain someday, and he will continue hunting me, fine enough, I'll drop him off in the Abyss next time.

I"m sure they have an Inevitable for "Using the laws of Mechanus to your Unfair Advantage" too, though.

Waspinator
2008-09-16, 10:16 PM
Mikot: Hunts unarmed octogenarians and people who forget to pick up milk from the store.

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 02:32 AM
I"m sure they have an Inevitable for "Using the laws of Mechanus to your Unfair Advantage" too, though.

It's not unfair advantage. It's just a safety clause if they indeed decide to come after me one day. Because of using too much Time Stop, for example.

afroakuma
2008-09-17, 07:56 AM
Yeah, for an example of what happens when you "Evit" too much, check "Elder Evils." Obligatum VII is an advanced Kolyarut, and the thing even says that if you win, give it about 6 months until Obligatum VIII makes the scene.

As for some of the...more legitimate...posted ones...

The cannibalism one can't and probably shouldn't be done for one simple reason: cannibalistic tribes would be the first to go. Being generally weaker, uncivilised societies with a focus on reducing their numbers the Soylent Green way, any basic Inevitable could take down a whole world's uncivilised cannibals. And some of those are low-level experience muffins. What would we do without low-level experience muffins?

Incest, similarly: animals have been known to reproduce incestuously, from time to time.

Gravity: that would be hilarious - I picture a newly 5th level wizard testing his fly spell, only to get hammered out of the sky by a passing Air Controller Inevitable.

And yeah, the Quarut and Varakhut have been ID'd before as too weak for their job. Make 'em shiny and new.

I was thinking of making one that would seek major artifacts to destroy them, one for genocides and one for usurpers. Any good?

On a lighter note:

Jaypirut: Hunts down those who put dinosaurs in their campaign.

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 08:48 AM
Yeah, for an example of what happens when you "Evit" too much, check "Elder Evils." Obligatum VII is an advanced Kolyarut, and the thing even says that if you win, give it about 6 months until Obligatum VIII makes the scene.

That's one badass Inevitable.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ElderEvils_Gallery/111186.jpg

And I don't really understand why they call him misguided. Sure, the release of Pandorym will likely destroy the Multiverse, but he doesn't and shouldn't care about that. The deal was broken and he's supposed to set it straight.

Btw. it totally proves my point. If you destroy it, they send a tougher version.

DigoDragon
2008-09-17, 08:55 AM
Gravity: that would be hilarious - I picture a newly 5th level wizard testing his fly spell, only to get hammered out of the sky by a passing Air Controller Inevitable.

I wonder how they feel about hot-air balloons? :smallsmile: Maybe those are legit, but I had a sudden image of one of those hot-air balloon races and this nutty Inevitable flying around shooting them all down.

And now I'm thinking hindenberg...
Mechanus: "Dude, it wasn't breaking any laws. They were using basic physics."
Gravitaqut: "Oops, my bad."

Because I seem to be guilty of this. A lot:
Cosmonruts: Punish GMs who keep sending their players into space in a fantasy campaign. :smallamused:

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-17, 09:11 AM
On a more serious note, the Logic Inevitable: It hunts those that try to apply magic logically to everyday life.

Ah, the dreaded Catgirl Avenging Inevitable! :smallbiggrin:

Suppose there's also room for a Strategic Inevitable, who would hunt those who plan too far into the future, use divination magic constantly, and/or have an excessive number of backup plans and failsafes.

Kascade101
2008-09-17, 10:35 AM
Ah, the dreaded Catgirl Avenging Inevitable! :smallbiggrin:

Suppose there's also room for a Strategic Inevitable, who would hunt those who plan too far into the future, use divination magic constantly, and/or have an excessive number of backup plans and failsafes.

Luckily, no player will ever have to face such an Inevitable, because they're all trying to hunt down Dispater.

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-17, 10:51 AM
Luckily, no player will ever have to face such an Inevitable, because they're all trying to hunt down Dispater.

Too true!

How about an Inevitable for slayers of other Inevitables? Kinda like an Inevitability Inevitable. As you slay Inevitables, you go up a progression of Inevitability Inevitables that appear and assist the other Inevitables that are hunting you.

So for example, you kill one Inevitable and when it's replaced an Inevitability Inevitable is sent to assist the replacement. If both of those Inevitables are slain, then a replacement, a replacement for the Inevitability Inevitable is sent, along with an Inevitability Inevitability Inevitable all show up next time. And so on, ad absurdum.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-17, 11:13 AM
Ashkum: Hunts those who kill summon monsters too much

Draken
2008-09-17, 11:25 AM
@ Gorbash

Inevitables are periodically called back to Mechanus for reprograming. If they don't answer the call, I presume they are considered destroyed and a new one is fabricated.

Should the inevitable later answer the call it is still considered a failed model and is recicled.

Waspinator
2008-09-17, 11:49 AM
Ashkum: Hunts those who kill summon monsters too much

But I want to be the very worst, like no one ever was!
To find them is my first test, to maim them is my cause!
I will travel across the land, killing far and wide!
Each Pokethulhu to understand
The power of Hell inside!

chiasaur11
2008-09-17, 11:52 AM
@ Gorbash

Inevitables are periodically called back to Mechanus for reprograming. If they don't answer the call, I presume they are considered destroyed and a new one is fabricated.

Should the inevitable later answer the call it is still considered a failed model and is recicled.

The solution is obvious.

Build your own as a replacement.

Cue evil laughter.

Heliomance
2008-09-17, 12:05 PM
My GM runs it this way. If you annoy Mechanus, an Inevitable gets sent out. If you win, two Inevitables get sent out. If you win, four Inevitables get sent out. And so on. No matter how badass you are, 1024 Inevitables are going to take a lot of killing.

Draken
2008-09-17, 12:13 PM
"Model ID not found. Piracy detected. Warning. Sending the Ninja Inevitable."

Leicontis
2008-09-17, 12:24 PM
I like the anti-charm/compulsion/domination/slavery Inevitable idea, though it might be a little on the Chaotic side...

Another idea:
Powerful hypocrites - basically, if you make a law (and/or are responsible for enforcing it) and break it, you get an Inevitable after you. Dirty cops, corrupt politicians, rulers who think they're above the law (unless the law specifies that they are, in fact, above it) - I can see Mechanus taking a dim view of such individuals...

chiasaur11
2008-09-17, 12:27 PM
"Model ID not found. Piracy detected. Warning. Sending the Ninja Inevitable."

Hmm, Wizarding culture devoted to breaking inevitable DRM.

That is an interesting idea...

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 01:42 PM
@ Gorbash

Really? Where does it says so?

Draken
2008-09-17, 03:33 PM
The "call to mechanus for reprogamming" part is in the monster manual and was not included in the SRD it seens.

The rest. It's just an assumption of my part, one that makes sense. Inevitables don't have telepathy. They aren't in constant communication with mechanus, probably, so these recalls are most likely the means by which the guys in Neumannus know when to make new ones.

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 03:55 PM
My GM runs it this way. If you annoy Mechanus, an Inevitable gets sent out. If you win, two Inevitables get sent out. If you win, four Inevitables get sent out. And so on. No matter how badass you are, 1024 Inevitables are going to take a lot of killing.

I'm sorry, but your DM is a jackass. He might as well have said: "RFED", since that's what it means. Inevitables don't usually negotiate and your options are kill or be killed. And if you kill them (not really that hard), more will come and that's the problem, at some point they'll overpower you. And what did you DM prove then? That you can't escape the inevitability of planes by killing your character and giving you no options to evade it? :smallmad:

Heliomance
2008-09-17, 03:58 PM
I'm sorry, but your DM is a jackass. He might as well have said: "RFED", since that's what it means. Inevitables don't usually negotiate and your options are kill or be killed. And if you kill them (not really that hard), more will come and that's the problem, at some point they'll overpower you. And what did you DM prove then? That you can't escape the inevitability of planes by killing your character and giving you no options to evade it? :smallmad:

No, there is a choice. You can keep on killing Inevitables, or you can cease and desist whatever you're doing to make them come after you. Stop ******* about with the laws, they'll stop coming. What other way makes sense to run it? Mechanus sends out Inevitables because it wants someone to stop something. If it's not going to send enough to get the job done, there's no point in doing it. Why would it keep sending single Inevitables if the target consistently proves it can take them out?

Zeful
2008-09-17, 04:00 PM
Too true!

How about an Inevitable for slayers of other Inevitables? Kinda like an Inevitability Inevitable. As you slay Inevitables, you go up a progression of Inevitability Inevitables that appear and assist the other Inevitables that are hunting you.

So for example, you kill one Inevitable and when it's replaced an Inevitability Inevitable is sent to assist the replacement. If both of those Inevitables are slain, then a replacement, a replacement for the Inevitability Inevitable is sent, along with an Inevitability Inevitability Inevitable all show up next time. And so on, ad absurdum.

That's the freakish centaur one. Zelkhut I think. They are the ones that go after you if you defy justice. Slaying an inevitable (for whatever reason really) is defying justice, promting a visit from one of these guys.

chiasaur11
2008-09-17, 04:02 PM

You know what'd be great?

An epic wizard, with like 50 inevitables tailing him.

They can't hurt him, he ignores them. If the PCs bring it up: "Oh, I killed a god or something. I'm thinking of putting out traps."

Frankly, once you get strong enough, more inevitables just means more EXP.

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 04:04 PM
No, there is a choice. You can keep on killing Inevitables, or you can cease and desist whatever you're doing to make them come after you. Stop ******* about with the laws, they'll stop coming. What other way makes sense to run it? Mechanus sends out Inevitables because it wants someone to stop something. If it's not going to send enough to get the job done, there's no point in doing it. Why would it keep sending single Inevitables if the target consistently proves it can take them out?

No, not really. For example, Kolyarut will hunt you down because you broke an important deal, not because you continuously do it. Negotiating with a Marut ends in your death anyway, since by 'stop breaking the law' means dying.

You know what'd be great?

An epic wizard, with like 50 inevitables tailing him.

They can't hurt him, he ignores them. If the PCs bring it up: "Oh, I killed a god or something. I'm thinking of putting out traps."

Frankly, once you get strong enough, more inevitables just means more EXP.

Yes, that'd be great. It can be a backup plan, too. If you get yourself locked up somewhere, they'll storm the place to get to you. :smallbiggrin:

afroakuma
2008-09-17, 04:12 PM
Kolyaruts struck me as being among the most reasonable. Given the excellent example from Elder Evils, Kolyaruts attempt negotiation, forcible coercion or simple dragging off to rectify the breached contract. As long as the contract remains breached, they will keep coming. It's just that, having killed one, it's a fair certainty that some attitudinous Zelekhuts will show up as well. The MM even states that Kolyaruts proceed through social niceties before sitting down. Sitting down. Seriously. Paladin players could learn something from those robots.

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 04:19 PM
Well, it states they properly intoduce themselves before getting down to matter at hand. By using Vampiric Touch, Enervation etc...

Heliomance
2008-09-17, 04:20 PM
A Marut's not coming after the average player anyway, as campaigns don't normally last hundreds of years, and they really don't care about small fry necromancers. As for the deal-breaking, you go and do whatever you can to fulfill the terms and they go away.

Draken
2008-09-17, 04:36 PM
A Marut will go after a necromancer if he raises a lot of undead in a short amount of time. They will also go after a cleric who ressurrects too many adventurers.

Plot Hook!

"You went to this guy many times, most of them, as corpses, he kindly revived you, over, and over again no less.

Now there is a marut after him, and it's your fault."

--------

Anyway, Maruts and Zelekhuts are the only ones who are really prone to enforcing a death penalty upon you. A breach of contract will most likely have a clause the Koliarut will follow in suit and take your stuff away to give to the injured part.

All those offensive abilities are for the inevitable's protection.

Starbuck_II
2008-09-17, 04:40 PM
But I want to be the very worst, like no one ever was!
To find them is my first test, to maim them is my cause!
I will travel across the land, killing far and wide!
Each Pokethulhu to understand
The power of Hell inside!

You get a cookie for that (it has sprinkles). That was a good one.

Heliomance:

A Marut's not coming after the average player anyway, as campaigns don't normally last hundreds of years, and they really don't care about small fry necromancers. As for the deal-breaking, you go and do whatever you can to fulfill the terms and they go away.

What if you play a Elan? They are immortal. He could have started play at 200 years or so.

Gorbash
2008-09-17, 04:42 PM
A Marut will go after a necromancer if he raises a lot of undead in a short amount of time. They will also go after a cleric who ressurrects too many adventurers.

Well, Marut's description says that they explicitely don't go after those who use resurrection unless they do it on a massive scale. I don't think anyone has enough gold to use raise dead/resurrect on a massive scale. And it doesn't mention animate dead anywhere.

tyckspoon
2008-09-17, 04:51 PM
What if you play a Elan? They are immortal. He could have started play at 200 years or so.

If you weren't already killed by a Marut for the act of becoming an Elan then you're probably safe. And since it generally requires other Elans to turn somebody into an Elan.. the fact that Elans exist in any large number in a game world is fairly strong evidence that they either do not offend the Inevitables or are very low-priority tasks.

Draken
2008-09-17, 04:55 PM
In the manual of the planes at least (I don't have the MM in english and things might change over translations), their combat entry says "those who defile death throught necromancy". Stupid as it may be, Raise Dead and Ressurrection still aren't necromancy spells. So it is probably refering to Animate Dead spells.

And yea, sure no one npc has that much gold for diamonds, but a party of PCs has. They just spend it on other stuff.

Let's not enter on the realms of epic and Ignore Material Components.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-09-17, 05:12 PM
Ah, the nostalga of the setting I made with all that effort and backstory and not even 5 minutes of interest on behalf of my PCs.

Um, I mean, um, Yes, we have Inevitables!

OK in my setting the Inevitables where the creations of a group of mortals with eternal life and access to huge amounts of resources called The Monitors. They made them in the ancient past. You see, whilst the gods where all busy trying to prevent reality from collapsing when the Mind Flayers arrived from the future to engineer their own existence and caused a HUGE paradox, a group of champions of Law took it upon themselves to fix reality by creating a technically infinite artefact to keep out the far realms and to hold the planes in place called The Wall. It worked and the gods did bestow up on them many boons and the plane of Mechanicus (all the old gods of law having died, Baator and the 7 heavens where on a skeleton crew of one minor god and many powerful Outsiders each). Over time several of them became new gods of law (and thus had to leave The Monitors as they where a group of mortals.

One later became Primus, but anyway.

I named all Inevitables under a He Who Guards method (including renaming the MM and FF ones). In addition each Inevitable mission must be approved by The Monitors and they usually direct their resources towards big offenders.

He Who Guards The Wall, "The wall preserves reality" Defend The Wall from damage and prevent access to the Far Realm.
He Who Guards Causality, "What was comes before what will be" Destroy those things that disobey logical order, inclding Mind Flayers and (well, they wish they could anyway) The Limbo.
He Who Guards Obedience, "Respect your masters as your servants respect you" Hunt those who pervert their purpose, disobey or warp orders form those they swore to obey or abuse bureaucracy.
He Who Guards Culture, "Obey the bounds of your people" Hunt down those who break cultural taboos etc (typically only those who do so knowingly)
He Who Guards The Mind, "All sentient beings are judged on their actions, these actions must therefore be theirs" Destroy those who remove the ability of others to make their own choices (note, not slave owners and similar (as captives can still chose, even if their choices are more limited)).
He Who Guards The Guardians, "We must be pure in our purpose" Destroy all those other than The Monitors that try and control the Inevitables.
He Who Guards The Monitors, "That they may be" Defend The Monitors.
He Who Guards Truth, "What is is, what is not is not" Destroy those who spread falsehood.
He Who Guards The Law, "What is set down must be obeyed" Destroys law breakers, typically operating (mostly in secret) as vigilantes in an area for a while then moving on.
He Who Guards The Soul, "The endless flame must burn on" Destroys those who destroy or steal (NOT purchase) souls.
He Who Guards Life, "Life is eternal" Destroys those things that seek to cause (very) large scale death.
He Who Guards The People, "The servants of a nation are not the target of war" Defeneds civilians from extermination (soldiers etc are another matter) / Destroys those who deliberately kill civilians in war.
He Who Guards The Troth, "The Words Of Law must never be taken" Defends the pact signed between the lawful powers after most of the Lawful gods where wiped out.
He Who Guards Hope, "All things strive" Destroys those that would prevent sentient mortals from progressing in life (ie those who keep large slave populations with no hope for their freedom/elevation in status).
He Who Guards The Wild, "Nature must be" Destroys those who try and alter/destroy the natural world on a large scale.
He Who Guards Civilisation, "Mortals build" Destroys those who try and prevent advancement/civilisation on a large scale.

Singhilarity
2008-09-17, 05:13 PM
As a thought on the Inevitable I suggested earlier (For those who continuously defile other people's Free Will)
Perhaps they round up the culprits and force them to to work, until death, as Mechanus' Mechanics... cranking out ever more Inevitables

afroakuma
2008-09-17, 06:09 PM
Alright, I've settled on two to do up. I'll post them on the Homebrew forum at some point:

Alxialut: Rallies armies against usurpers. (Can ask them to abdicate, but can't just kill them because the cycle would likely perpetuate.)

Samshahiut: Prevents genocide and destroys those attempting it. (Can and will use ressurections, but sparingly)

charl
2008-09-17, 06:18 PM
As a thought on the Inevitable I suggested earlier (For those who continuously defile other people's Free Will)
Perhaps they round up the culprits and force them to to work, until death, as Mechanus' Mechanics... cranking out ever more Inevitables

Great potential scenario when one of those guys escape or get rescued by adventurers and return to the material plane and starts building mechanical armies to invade Mechanus to get revenge. After being stuck their for a long time (and since time in the outer realms doesn't correspond to time in the material it could have been the equivalent of hundreds of years) building inevitables the guy (or girl) would know how to make murderous constructs, after all.

chiasaur11
2008-09-17, 06:30 PM
Great potential scenario when one of those guys escape or get rescued by adventurers and return to the material plane and starts building mechanical armies to invade Mechanus to get revenge. After being stuck their for a long time (and since time in the outer realms doesn't correspond to time in the material it could have been the equivalent of hundreds of years) building inevitables the guy (or girl) would know how to make murderous constructs, after all.

Him at a job interview would be the best thing ever.

Waspinator
2008-09-17, 07:00 PM
You get a cookie for that (it has sprinkles). That was a good one.

But do you have enough cookies for me and my worst friend, in a world we must offend?

Enlong
2008-09-19, 10:50 PM
But do you have enough cookies for me and my worst friend, in a world we must offend?

Dude! Enough with the win already. Save some for the flying robotic fishes!

EndlessWrath
2008-09-19, 11:02 PM
Inevitable of Life's Purity:

an inevitable who hunts those who create false life or attempts creating new life. (creators of Golems, constructs, or life).

Piety Inevitable:

an inevitable who hunts beings not of this world or those who draw power from outsiders. (hunter of outsiders and divine spellcasters. EDIT:those of non-deity worship.. such as those who worship minor deities, demons, etc. Also could be used for campaign that limits divine intervention.)

Ascension
2008-09-19, 11:55 PM
Piety Inevitable:

an inevitable who hunts beings not of this world or those who draw power from outsiders. (hunter of outsiders and divine spellcasters.)

This one seems like it would have waaaay too many targets to hunt. Plus there's the fact that gods generally want people to call on their power.

Now, if I'm remembering the fluff correctly, a hunter of Ur-Priests would make perfect sense.

Bluelantern
2008-11-13, 07:20 PM
How about a inevitable that stops companies to creating new editions of they games?

Magnor Criol
2008-11-13, 07:32 PM
How about a inevitable that stops companies to creating new editions of they games?

Playing necromancer just to complain about 4E is probably frowned upon.

And maybe will get a marut sent after you.