PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine and the X-men

feghoot
2008-09-15, 07:14 PM
Last week I watched the first episode of the new X-men show "Wolverine and the X-men". Since I don't have anything else to do tonight, I thought I'd start a thread for it and see what others think about it.

As for myself, I found the plot to be rather lackluster in quality. It seemed like the writers were straining at the leash to move into darker territory, but every time they did their owner would hit them with a newspaper and remind them that this is a kids show. Consequently, any attempt the show makes at being "bad ass" falls right on its face. Perhaps the best example is when John Wrath stepped out of the shadows to speak to the captured family. His lines were ment to be chilling, but instead came across as stupid and cliche.

All that aside, its still much better than X.M.E. and I plan on watching the next few episodes to see where the plot takes us. Honestly, how can you not like a show that has the line "We can't trust him, he has knives in his hands!"

Dihan
2008-09-15, 07:21 PM
I watched the first two episodes earlier this evening. Some parts seemed a bit forced, most notably the whole Jean GreyxWolverine thing, I did enjoy the Dust part in the first episode though. There's still a final third part to this introduction, though, which will put Nightcrawler, Cyclops and Emma Frost into the team alongside those who joined in episode 2.

I'm enjoying it, but that's not surprising. :smalltongue:

Mr. Scaly
2008-09-15, 09:13 PM
I saw one episode. Episode 2 I think. Actually, it looked pretty good. It reminded me of the 90s series with a bit more maturity and better animation.

kpenguin
2008-09-15, 09:46 PM
I haven't seen this yet. I kinda forgot about this and I really wanted to see it. Which network is running it again?

I'm enjoying it, but that's not surprising. :smalltongue:

Friggin' X-fan.:smalltongue:

Dihan
2008-09-16, 03:40 AM
Saturdays, 7pm on YTV. It's only on in Canada right now - I believe USA and UK won't get it for a few months for some odd reason.

darkblade
2008-09-16, 07:32 AM
Saturdays, 7pm on YTV. It's only on in Canada right now - I believe USA and UK won't get it for a few months for some odd reason.

About time we get something before the rest of the world, I mean the US gets Stargate before we do and its 90% made in Canada by Canadians. :smalltongue:

Dihan
2008-09-16, 08:50 AM
Oh, you didn't get it first. South America did. I believe they are up to episode 8.

Green Bean
2008-09-16, 08:58 AM
I caught the first two episodes, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. At the very least, they seem to be striking a decent spotlight balance in terms of Wolverine vs. the rest of the cast, which I was a bit worried about when I saw the title.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-09-16, 09:21 AM
I've seen the first two episodes so far, and I'm pleased with it. The production quality is amazing (much better than the 90s series, which is still the hallmark for X-Men cartoons IMO) and I'm glad they're taking it slow by developing a plot.

It's obvious that they're trying to make it much darker than Evolution (which it is), but as feghoot said, it seems like they keep forgetting and then remembering that it's a kids show. There are parts where I cringed at the dialogue or a plot hole that wouldn't pass in adult programming. I would prefer if it were an adult cartoon, but like Doihaveaname?, I'll watch any X-Men cartoon.

I'm interested in seeing where they're going to take this. They're going with a blend of traditional X-Continuity with a good amount of move continuity thrown in, but it's starting like most X-Men franchises (the Brotherhood, sentinels, Senator Kelly and the Mutant Registration Act, etc.) so in that respect it's not like we haven't seen it before.

feghoot
2008-09-16, 08:33 PM
Yeah, now that I think about it the animation was pretty good. Some of the character designs struck me as bit odd though.

Gavin Sage
2008-09-16, 10:03 PM
After watching the first episode my biggest issue is with the name. Understand I have a titan sized axe to grind about Wolverine and all the annoying over-attention he gets. Oh and I hope Sooraya is going to get more then that for an appearence, her and a bunch of other new characters from the comics are rather awesome.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-09-17, 10:39 AM
I agree with the name. I love Wolverine, but he gets waaay too much focus nowadays. So far, at least, I'm glad that the focus has been pretty evenly spread among characters. Hopefully the focus on Wolverine as the "main" character extends on so far as it's his decision to bring back the X-Men as we see how he does it.

Tengu_temp
2008-09-17, 10:41 AM
I caught the first two episodes, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. At the very least, they seem to be striking a decent spotlight balance in terms of Wolverine vs. the rest of the cast, which I was a bit worried about when I saw the title.

You mean that Wolverine gets the same amount of spotlight as everyone else together?

Gavin Sage
2008-09-17, 08:03 PM
You mean that Wolverine gets the same amount of spotlight as everyone else together?

Hence the name. Its a balance that is tolerable but precarious. In the episode I watched I didn't mind the focus on Logan since its an assembly arc. If he continues to be overall leader and not a point man though it will be a problem. (I'm a die-hard Cyclops fan, guess what my issue will be)

The name though rubs it in excessively though. The best part of X-men is there team dynamic, that everyone is a part of a bigger whole. And while I find it hard to think of any character but Charles Xavier having title billing Wolverine is especially innapropriate. Simply because Wolverine actually being Wolverine demands a certain amount of being on the fringe of the group.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-09-17, 08:13 PM
Hence the name. Its a balance that is tolerable but precarious. In the episode I watched I didn't mind the focus on Logan since its an assembly arc. If he continues to be overall leader and not a point man though it will be a problem.

I agree. If Wolverine gets continued screen time preference over the course of the series (which I'm afraid is going to happen, given the title) then the quality will go downhill. Anything X-Men should be about the team. Sure, certain characters will get more of a focus during any particular episode or even arc, but ultimately it needs to be about the team.

kpenguin
2008-09-17, 08:30 PM
Hence the name. Its a balance that is tolerable but precarious. In the episode I watched I didn't mind the focus on Logan since its an assembly arc. If he continues to be overall leader and not a point man though it will be a problem. (I'm a die-hard Cyclops fan, guess what my issue will be)

The name though rubs it in excessively though. The best part of X-men is there team dynamic, that everyone is a part of a bigger whole. And while I find it hard to think of any character but Charles Xavier having title billing Wolverine is especially innapropriate. Simply because Wolverine actually being Wolverine demands a certain amount of being on the fringe of the group.

So you'd prefer the show would be called Professor X and the X-men?

Gavin Sage
2008-09-17, 08:37 PM

If someone has to have title billing then yes. I'd prefer most that no one got it.

Ascension
2008-09-17, 08:37 PM

It would be preferable.

Still, I'm cautiously... very cautiously... optimistic about this. Sort of.

Actually, come to think of it, I really won't know for sure whether or not I like it until I find out whether Rogue's accent is tolerable.

I hate it when Southern characters in movies/television have incredibly badly done accents. Just hire a voice actor who's actually from the South, people, don't let a Yankee try to do the accent! You know they're going to fail!

Areswargod139
2008-09-17, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I agree that Wolvie shouldn't be getting this kind of attention, and furthermore I,.....duh der WHAT!:

I'm a die-hard Cyclops fan

.........There's no such thing as a die-hard Cyclops fan. I mean, is up now down, good now evil? Tom Cruise now openly gay and episcopalian?

No, it can't be true.....IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!:eek::furious:
You're a myth.....a NIGHTMARE!

:smallbiggrin:

Gavin Sage
2008-09-18, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I agree that Wolvie shouldn't be getting this kind of attention, and furthermore I,.....duh der WHAT!:

.........There's no such thing as a die-hard Cyclops fan. I mean, is up now down, good now evil? Tom Cruise now openly gay and episcopalian?

Picture yourself in Marvel vs. Capcom....

OPTIC BLAST!!!!

That is all. :smallbiggrin:

Ascension
2008-09-19, 03:00 PM
Okay, the sight of Wolverine wearing a motorcycle helmet is hilarious. This show has just made my day.

snoopy13a
2008-09-19, 03:57 PM
Like it or not, Wolverine is the most popular of the X-Men.

As for my favorite X-Man when growing up, I'll never admit it :smalltongue: (it isn't Wolverine or Cyclops)

Ascension
2008-09-19, 05:40 PM
I liked Nightcrawler. When I was really, really little I used to call him "Crawls in the Night."

And speaking of crawling, what was up with that "Sentinel Crawler"? What? It had the right color scheme, but everything else about it was lame. Keep the Spider Slayers back in the 90s Spider-Man series. Give us real Sentinels.

On the other hand, it's kind of nice seeing Evil!Rogue. So many people forget she was introduced as a villain.

Mx.Silver
2008-09-19, 05:44 PM
On the other hand, it's kind of nice seeing Evil!Rogue. So many people forget she was introduced as a villain.

Aside from those of us who caught Season 1 of X-men: Evolution.

chiasaur11
2008-09-19, 06:04 PM

Joss Whedon seems to be a big fan of him.

Just read Astonishing and tell me I'm wrong.

Ascension
2008-09-19, 06:10 PM

Oh. I didn't watch that one at all. I didn't like the look of the character designs, and I was in a bit of a cartoons-are-childish phase at that time as well.

It's been ages since she's been bad in the comics, though.

feghoot
2008-09-19, 08:49 PM
I liked Nightcrawler. When I was really, really little I used to call him "Crawls in the Night."

Interesting. Growing up fishing in the lakes and rivers of the American South-East, when I first heard of nightcrawler he made me think of something else (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightcrawlers)

Anyway, I think that the show's going to switch between focusing on Wolverine and focusing on the xmen every few ep.

Also, how surprised can you be when a girl named Rogue turns coat?

Ascension
2008-09-19, 08:57 PM
Interesting. Growing up fishing in the lakes and rivers of the American South-East, when I first heard of nightcrawler he made me think of something else (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightcrawlers)

I think that's part of the reason I used "Crawls in the Night" instead.

Though most of the fishermen around here prefer other sorts of worms.

feghoot
2008-09-19, 09:06 PM
Whats really funny is that the first time I saw him was in a sega video game, and whenever you 'ported it looked remarkably like he had turned into a giant square mass of blue worms.

You didn't miss much with XME by the way.

Gavin Sage
2008-09-20, 02:00 AM

Pshh! I got her debut in an Avenger's Annual my brother gave me sitting in a box in my closest. Rogue didn't just take out Ms. Marvel like people know about, she then took out Captain America and Thor for good measure.

Joss Whedon seems to be a big fan of him.

Just read Astonishing and tell me I'm wrong.

Yeah Cyclops kicking Wolverine's arse and humbling Logan by annhilating a Sentinel whole in one shot is a big Take That or I've never seen one.

He also likes Kitty Pryde who's my favorite female X-character, I suspect our similar fandoms are why I liked the comic after even after it stopped publishing and went into this weird timewarp away from Marvel's continuity.

Ascension
2008-09-20, 02:09 AM
I've been on a Marvel boycott since OMD/BND, and frankly I've always liked the animated X-Men better than the print X-Men anyway, so I've got no clue what's going on with them these days.

Areswargod139
2008-09-20, 11:50 AM
Picture yourself in Marvel vs. Capcom....

OPTIC BLAST!!!!

That is all. :smallbiggrin:

*Ignores one of the most unbalanced fighting games of all time.*

Besides *I* have uncanny dodge!:smalltongue:

Dihan
2008-09-21, 06:25 PM
Having seen the third episode earlier today I have two things to say:

1) Emma Frost is exactly how I imagined her to be.
2) Wolverine is getting annoying with all the "Charrrles" stuff. I sounds like they just used the same recording of the name a million times.