PDA

View Full Version : Eberronian Artificers: Blastery or Bindery

Phillip0614
2008-09-15, 09:37 PM
Hey all! One of my close friends has recently decided to resurrect an old Eberron campaign, giving my other friends and I the golden opportunity to go back and rebuild our old characters at their old level (10) to continue the storyline from where we left off, pretty much.

The character I had was a human Artificer who, at level 10, entered the High Elemental Binder prestige class. We managed to skip the whole "gnomes monopolize binding" bit by the act of my character finding an old tome on Xendrik which detailed the process of binding elementals to objects. When the campaign was going on, I thought that this PrC was "teh ownage" so to speak, but now that I'm a few years older and had more time to go through the books and think about it, I'm wondering if my choice was the wisest.

Going through the other books, I happened upon the Cannith Wand Adept, which also seems like it'd be gangbusters for Artificers. After three levels of it, you've got +5 to your wand save DCs AND CLs, which seems like an exceptional boost to the power of a wand, and there are a number of other aspects of the class that are definitely appealing to an artificer. So...my question is this:

If any of you who play or are familiar with Eberron were in my situation, having the opportunity to go back and remake your 10th-level character to better suit an idea in your mind, would you want to go with High Binding, or as they are affectionately known, a Blastificer?

EDIT: Of course, there's an obvious third option: skip the PrC and go straight Artificer.

lordmarcoos
2008-09-16, 04:35 AM
I dunno, it depends on how much his class features are going to be played up. Obviously the gnomes in Zilargo will be upset to learn that someone else has mastered their secret elemental binding techniques, and that seems ripe for drama. The Cannith wand adept is a classic blastificer of doom, which can be cool, but so can binding an elemental to an airship yourself, and then captaining a crew for high sky adventure.