PDA

View Full Version : Viable party for EttRoG

Thurbane
2008-09-15, 09:40 PM
Just a quickie - the next game our group begins will be the Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. So far, the party is shaping up as follows:

* Dwarf Fighter 1/Rogue 7 (me)
* Human (?) Dragon Shaman 8
* Halfling Rogue 1/Druid 7
* Halfling Rogue 8

...this isn't set in stone, but these seem to be our preferences so far. Possibly will also be an NPC Fighter or Paladin.

Is this party viable? Is it too "Rogue heavy"? Can it get by without a Cleric?

The DM is allowing the following:

* PHB only races
* Core plus any 1 (maybe 2) splatbooks for classes/feats/PrCs
* Core + MIC for gear
* No ToB, ToM, psionics or Factotums
* Nothing campaign specific, apart from Greyhawk (i.e. no FR or Eberron)

Character generation will be: 4d6 drop lowest, 1 reroll during process, place as desired...

Kizara
2008-09-15, 09:47 PM
Does the druid know what he is doing? He may be able to carry the rest of you if he does it right.

Thurbane
2008-09-15, 09:49 PM
Does the druid know what he is doing? He may be able to carry the rest of you if he does it right.
Nope, this will be this guy's 1st 3E druid. He used to play a Halfling Druid back in 1/2E...

...actually, none of us are really powergamers, barely even optimizers (I suppose I am the closest to the group's optimizer).

Kizara
2008-09-15, 10:18 PM
Good luck then, since you don't really have any tank and no arcanist.

I don't know anything about the module, since I don't use modules, but the following thoughts occur to me:

1) How many skill monkeys do you need really?

2) What are you going to do if you fight undead that a) animals don't like and b) you can't sneak attack?

3) What are you going to do if you are fighting anything and its a hard fight and someone has to hold the line? Dwarf fighter 1 isn't going to cut it.

4) You don't need a cleric as a healer, the druid can fill-in decently, and the dragon shaman can help out a bit too. However, you certinally could use one to pop RM/DP and have a melee presence.

5) You are nearly level 9, and the lack of things like fly, teleport and plane shift will seriously effect what resources you have as adventurers.

If you want to know how I would build the party, I would do the following (trying to keep some of the roleplaying direction):

1) Dwarven cleric of Morridin. If you must you can keep your first level of fighter. Take DDM (Quicken) if you like, otherwise just take your place at the front and pop DP asap and then tank for your party. Your also a strong backup healer.

2) Human Sorceror playing up the whole dragon heritage bit. Maybe find some stuff in the Races of the Dragon or something to help with this. You're taking Teleport ASAP, and otherwise get some AoE damage spells, some decent buffs and a few control. You also double as the party's face.

3) Halfling druid is fine. Keep this and get a companion you can ride (since you are small). You may note that fleshrakers (MM3) are medium sized :smallwink:. You are the primary support character. Focus on summons, control spells and keeping some non-wounds healing for when its needed (things like Restoration, Remove Curse, etc).

4) Halfling rogue is fine. With the rest of the rogue redundancy largely removed, you now have a niche to fill. Get all those preception and sabatodge and thievey skills. Saves the sorceror having to get all the spells that would make you redundant.:smallwink:

This is BY FAR not the most optimal party I could manage, but its balanced to be fun with itself (everyone has a role, with some overlap in case someone drops the ball a bit). You have the major bases covered and should be able to deal with some major conflicts and most situations.

Thurbane
2008-09-16, 04:54 PM
Good advice, thanks.

I suppose I should explain that for me, I wanted to get away from playing a caster, as that's all I've been doing recently. I've not yet played a rogue in 3.X, so I was keen to try. I also wanted to play a dragon shaman, but one of the other guys beat me to it.

I guess we're trying to balance the sort of character everyone wants to play with having an effective party...we'd rather not shoehorn anyone into playing a tank or arcanist if we can avoid it...